What spirits do you think were misranked?

Fabulously Olivier

Whether the spirit was ranked far too low or far too high for their actual power or relevance, which spirits do you think missed the mark.

I'll start. Morag as a Novice is hilarious. As an experienced leader and strongest fighter of an entire country, she should be at least an Ace, if not a Legend.

Edited by Etheus

I don't know my Xenoblade 2, so I'll take your word for it. 

Anyway, with him being the one to finally destroy Dracula for good, I'm convinced Julius Belmont should have been Legend tier.

I know it wouldn't be feasible for all of them to be Legends, but any legendary Pokemon that isn't a Legend spirit (particularly Groudon and Kyogre's Primal forms, Black and White Kyurem, and Lugia since Ho-Oh is a Legend spirit). I feel that Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lucario should also be Legends given their standing in the competitive Pokemon scene.

Others include Demise (is the same rank as his servant, Ghirahim), Masked Man (redacted due to Mother 3 spoilers), Omega (probably shouldn't be the same rank as his predecessor, Gamma), Dr. Light (probably should be the same rank as his former friend, Wily), Mr. Sandman (is below Super Macho Man in rank when Sandman is the last human boxer in Punch-Out!! Wii), Tom Nook (Nookington's) and/or K.K. Slider (just so Animal Crossing has a Legend spirit, because it currently doesn't), and Ultimate Chimera (isn't this thing supposed to be invincible?).

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I know it wouldn't be feasible for all of them to be Legends, but any legendary Pokemon that isn't a Legend spirit (particularly Groudon and Kyogre's Primal forms, Black and White Kyurem, and Lugia since Ho-Oh is a Legend spirit). I feel that Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lucario should also be Legends given their standing in the competitive Pokemon scene.

Others include Demise (is the same rank as his servant, Ghirahim), Masked Man (redacted due to Mother 3 spoilers), Omega (probably shouldn't be the same rank as his predecessor, Gamma), Dr. Light (probably should be the same rank as his former friend, Wily), Mr. Sandman (is below Super Macho Man in rank when Sandman is the last human boxer in Punch-Out!! Wii), Tom Nook (Nookington's) and/or K.K. Slider (just so Animal Crossing has a Legend spirit, because it currently doesn't), and Ultimate Chimera (isn't this thing supposed to be invincible?).

Pretty much this along with that Zeke from xenoblade is also no better than a mere novice rank, also Rayquaza has no mega, which is pure WTF, Tora is not much higher tier than Morag or Zeke, but maybe deserves ace, along with Nia.

Morag. She's not just one of the strongest drivers in Alrest, the confirmed strongest driver in a multi titan empire but also a baddass. What's up with the one star ranking!? Same goes for Zeke but he can act as a buffoon so its at least possible his spirit would be too busy goofing around.

I believe Julius is a novice too despite being the Antichrist and a final boss. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway, with him being the one to finally destroy Dracula for good, I'm convinced Julius Belmont should have been Legend tier.

I agree with this. It was a bit baffling.

54 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I believe Julius is a novice too despite being the Antichrist and a final boss. 

Julius Belmont is the Antichrist how? Or are there multiple Julius' in here?

The conundrum is that Ace and Legend tier spirits need to be the least common, but you also have to have spirits of recognizable characters before spirits of anything else. So I wouldn't swap a spirit's rank without choosing a second spirit of that new rank to replace. In the case of Xenoblade 2's spirits, swap Morag's one star for Poppi's 2 star, since that version of poppi is just the 1.0 version anyway. Similarly, it bugs me that the two 4 stars of that game are the same person, make Pyra a 3 star and give her 4 star to Elma so that X has one 4 star spirit.

• For street fighter I think Guile is an odd choice for 4 star alongside Akuma and Bison. I'd rather give it to the Chun Li enhancement, maybe just to shout out how she's such a recognizable character on more genuine terms than Guile.
  • For Castlevania I'd swap Dracula's second form for one of the 4 stars, either Trevor or Soma Cruz works for me, but not Alucard.
  • For Mega Man I'd swap Mega Man.Exe's 4 star with Dr. Light's 3 star. Because none of the other Mega Men are 4 star except X in his full armor enhancement which makes sense.
  • For Pikmin I'd swap the rarity of Empress Bulbax with the Plasm Wraith, sinceI think the Wraith is the most worthy pick for the sole four star in the wake of Olimar or The President not being an option.
  • Fire Emblem has a lot of debatable stuff but the only one that bugs me is Caeda, and I'd swap her with Micaiah, possibly Garon.
  • For Kirby I'd swap Dynablade's 4 star with Masked Dedede or Queen Sectonia.
  • For Zelda I think Zelda from Breath of the Wild and Demise ought to be 4 stars and I'd swap with Wolf Link and Zelda from the Windwaker.

I think Bayonetta, Punch Out, Metal Gear Solid, Yoshi, Metroid, and Star Fox have pretty great rank selection. And I don't especially care about Mario and Pokemon.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Also, Mega Mewtwo Y. That one only being Ace is a huge WTF. Mewtwo is already among the most feared Pokemon, for crying out loud! I would assume it getting a mega would mean that it just becomes that much more dangerous.

Another one is Charlotte Aulin. The manual for her game of origin says, and I quote:

"Has great magic power, and is seen as the potential final weapon in the battle against Dracula." IIRC, the game itself also says something to this effect.

Yet she's ranked lower than Jonathan Morris when I would have expected them to be the same rank...

Edited by Shadow Mir

25 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, Mega Mewtwo Y. That one only being Ace is a huge WTF. Mewtwo is already among the most feared Pokemon, for crying out loud! I would assume it getting a mega would mean that it just becomes that much more dangerous.

Yeah. I didn't feel the need to specifically mention Mega Mewtwo Y when I did Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lucario since Mewtwo falls under the "legendary Pokemon that aren't Legend spirits" column. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

What's up with the one star ranking!? Same goes for Zeke but he can act as a buffoon so its at least possible his spirit would be too busy goofing around.

I think this applies to Reyn too? Maybe?

To fill in Mario, why are the Badwagon, B-Dasher, City Tripper and Mini Mario & Hammers 3* when you've got Kamek, Fawful and Dimentio in 2* and Kammy in 1*?

Bayonetta, I'd say Loki and the Prophet could switch. I dunno, I've only seen a handful of cutscenes.

Fire Emblem's demotes could come from Jagen, Lon'qu, Jakob... Sothe and Mist...

On a different topic to rank, I feel like Mecha-Fiora should switch with Pyra or Mythra between Primary and Support. Right now, both Xenoblade Legendary Primary Spirits are spoilers (Mecha-Fiora less so than Mumkhar->Metal Face, but only after Sakurai's best efforts), and that kinda feels weird to me.

13 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

To fill in Mario, why are the Badwagon, B-Dasher, City Tripper and Mini Mario & Hammers 3* when you've got Kamek, Fawful and Dimentio in 2* and Kammy in 1*?

Bayonetta, I'd say Loki and the Prophet could switch. I dunno, I've only seen a handful of cutscenes.

Fire Emblem's demotes could come from Jagen, Lon'qu, Jakob... Sothe and Mist...

On a different topic to rank, I feel like Mecha-Fiora should switch with Pyra or Mythra between Primary and Support. Right now, both Xenoblade Legendary Primary Spirits are spoilers (Mecha-Fiora less so than Mumkhar->Metal Face, but only after Sakurai's best efforts), and that kinda feels weird to me.

I wouldn't demote Sothe. He carried an entire team of weak, worthless liabilities on his back through the hardest parts of one of the hardest games. He's the most important Jeigan ever, because winning without him is basically impossible.

So he earned his rating and some. 

9 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

Fawful in 2* and Kammy in 1*?

Fawful is debatable since he is kind of joke in the two games before he plays a larger villain role. But Kammy I think is an excellent placement. She gets taken out by Twink of all characters, revealing she's weaker than the average magikoopa in both health and damage. And in the sequel she's made even more of a gag character when they depict her to be even older and less competent.

Watch to the end and you'll see the reasoning there.

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I wouldn't demote Sothe. He carried an entire team of weak, worthless liabilities on his back through the hardest parts of one of the hardest games. He's the most important Jeigan ever, because winning without him is basically impossible.

So he earned his rating and some. 

For, like, the first half of Part 1, maybe. After that, he drops off, and he acknowledges his weakness in the face of the bosses he fights afterward.

And Titania's already in Novice.

-I can't see the logic at all that Masked Man is three star yet Claus is four star. They're the same person, only Claus is an brash kid who barely knows PSI and got himself killed trying to fight a dinosaur, while the Masked Man is a killing machine destined to bring about the apocalypse and serves as the final boss of the game.

-Bayonetta 2 spoilers, but who here that hasn't played the game would guess that the Profit is a final boss? If they were going to make him a lowly two star then they could have at least used his weakened child incarnation, but no, they go with the god tier final boss design and make him weaker than the guy he needed to absorb to reach that level. I don't even like the character all that much and I think it's a disservice. At least one of the three Balders should be legend tier too, this is a guy that can contend with Bayonetta and that's no small feet (I'd derank Madama Butterfly to balance it out, while she probably is crazy powerful, her only job in Bayonetta is to punch stuff).

-The World of Light bosses are all Two Stars, Giga Bowser, Galleom, the Rathlos. Although maybe in this case it was a gameplay thing since you fight the world of light bosses relatively early into the game, so maybe they didn't want to give away legend stickers too early, although Legend Stickers are available at that point if you're able to beat them. Giga Bowser in particular that seems unflattering for. Giga Bowser is ranked lower than Birdo! His Paper Mario Sticker Star incarnation is a four star, that game sucked so I'd derank that one. Master and Crazy hand should probably be Legends too given their importance to Smash (then again, they were Tabuu and Galeem's bitch).

-Little Birdie is two star. I love Little Birdie, but he should be one star. Give that extra star to someone like Adom Malkovitch of Gandrayda.

-Queen Elincia is four star, Ashnard is two star. Those two should be at least equal. Make them both three star I say.

Edited by Jotari

On 1/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, Tybrosion said:

Yeah. I didn't feel the need to specifically mention Mega Mewtwo Y when I did Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lucario since Mewtwo falls under the "legendary Pokemon that aren't Legend spirits" column. 

I mentioned that one because I find it especially egregious. I mean, assuming Mewtwo would not have been brought back, it would have been an easy choice for a Legend spirit, so why is one of its megas not Legend?

• 2 weeks later...

Chun-Li being rank lower than Guile is very irksome. It's even worse when Guile's bonus has Chun-Li's schtick

I would ramble on but how much injustice when it comes to the Fire Emblem's spirit, but it turns out I stop liking Fire Emblem after Heroes

On 1/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, Jotari said:

-Queen Elincia is four star, Ashnard is two star. Those two should be at least equal. Make them both three star I say.

I at least understand the reasoning here.

Elincia's ratings are a beautiful reflection of her transformation from a helpless damsel to a powerful, driven ruler in one of FE's best character arcs. It's also a great reflection of her viability as a unit in PoR - initially weak but brimming with incredible potential.

Ashnard is certainly more objectively powerful than Elincia, but his role in the grand scheme of Tellius isn't actually as great as say... The Black Knight or the other spoiler villain. He's a mad, destructive bull who thinks himself a master while really being a pawn.

Edited by Etheus