Let's GO is too slow and boring and I wish Pokemon was like before (Gen 6 or so)

Hanes

To start things off, I'm not a veteran that's been playing Gen 1 since it came out, I was born in 2004 and as such I should have probably started with Gen 4 or 5 but I started with gen 2.

But Let's GO has so many issues it's killing my interest in Pokemon just like Ultra Sun did right in the school tutorial bullshit. So let me just say why I say what I do in the title. 

The reaon I say Let's GO is slow and it's because of all the stuff that it does before doing what you want it to, if you will, go back to the eras of Gen 1 or 2 and accidentally talk to Nurse Joy twice, sure it's annoying but it goes by quickly but do this mistake in Let's GO and you might as well be watching paint dry. Another example is accidentally sellecting bag instead of pokemon, in Red or Crystal fixing this mistake takes 1 or 2 seconds(Even faster than Slap Chop!!); in Let's GO this takes an eternity again and even when fighting which is the core of the game (Which Let's go doesn't do most of the time for no fucking reason other than muh Pokemon GO fans that dont even exist anymore) doing anything like checking which pokemon to switch to and see their moves takes too long and everything in this game just takes too long to be done, combine this with my ever increasing inpatient self and you've got a recipe for annoyance.

So the game is boring and Pikachu/Eevee might be cute bastards but the rest of the game is unenjoyable, I might have no reason to complain about FE13 changing the franchise to how I don't like it too since I haven't been playing for long but in Pokemon, the fact that they are alienating the fans with this crap makes me salty enough to be the reason why Mars has no water. Game freak please go back to the original games, and allow us to skip tutorials, cutscenes and also make the games play fast.

You might think I don't like Pokemon anymore but a few days back I played the special demo of ORAS (Damn saying that makes me nostalgic) and I was invested in it, so it was an antidote to my inpatience. 

Anyway I'm going to go play some Pokemon X, in other words, a good pokemon game (ORAS and Sun [Not Ultra Sun] are good too).

Thougts? I've been wanting to rant on this since forever and I also want to know your opinions on this topic.

• eclipse changed the title to Let's GO is too slow and boring and I wish Pokemon was like before (Gen 6 or so)

My thoughts is that what you're saying about Let's go is what many say about the 3DS games as well. Also, the tutorial section was also present on the original Sun/Moon. In fact, Sun/Moon got loooooooooooots of complaints about being too tutorial-heavy and handholdy. About X/Y, I love it as well, but it's one of if not the least popular main pokemon game.

So yeah, I don't really understand what you're going on about. You're younger than most, which means you played the 3DS games as a child. People tend to be overly fond of games they played as children, and this is specially known among pokemon fans (see genwunners). This is not an attack on you at all, just saying it tends to happen.

Edited by Nobody

The reason Let's Go is so different from past Pokemon games is because it isn't a mainline Pokemon game.
It isn't Gen 8, which is still in the works behind the scenes right now. Gamefreak has confirmed as much. Let's Go is a game made to bridge the gap between Pokemon Go and the mainline series. It's for children just learning about Pokemon and for new fans who have only played Go, but want to explore the world more. It's meant to be slower paced and easier for new players to acclimate to.

Let's Go is a fun game, but if you're looking for a mainline Pokemon experience, this isn't it.

7 minutes ago, Perle said:

It's for children just learning about Pokemon and for new fans who have only played Go, but want to explore the world more. It's meant to be slower paced and easier for new players to acclimate to.

But why though? Why is it that now endless tutorials have to be put and such? Or make this stuff a new fans only thing? I remember playing Crystal when I was like 6 and I sucked but that's what makes it memorable. and the slower paced game is absolutely lies. Many people I've spoken to dont like FE because they see it as slow paced so I dont see hw a slow paced pokemon game is meant to captivate anyone. Theres no excuse for whye verything must be so slow and why running doesnt exist etc.

EDIT: I also don't see how Let's GO can be fun with it's loading hell that it suffers from.

Edited by Critical Sniper

1 minute ago, Critical Sniper said:

But why though? Why is it that now endless tutorials have to be put and such? Or make this stuff a new fans only thing? I remember playing Crystal when I was like 6 and I sucked but that's what makes it memorable. and the slower paced game is absolutely lies. Many people I've spoken to dont like FE because they see it as slow paced so I dont see hw a slow paced pokemon game is meant to captivate anyone. Theres no excuse for whye verything must be so slow and why running doesnt exist etc.

Because for some people being dropped into a game like Pokemon - which has a lot of long-established game mechanics that are sometimes glossed over in the mainline games - can be incredibly overwhelming. In Let's Go, they can be introduced to things at a reduced pace, and therefor process and learn everything easier, without everything being thrown at them at once. When you take a step back from the Pokemon series, there is actually a lot to it. For someone who's totally unfamiliar with the game, it's daunting.
It isn't necessarily a "new fans only" thing, either. I've been playing Pokemon for over 10 years now, and I've enjoyed playing Let's Go. That might be because I had properly adjusted my expectations going into it though, as I knew it wasn't going to be like a mainline Pokemon game to begin with.

Do I prefer the mainline games? Yes. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate Let's Go for what it is.
Just because it doesn't suit your tastes doesn't mean it's inherently a bad game. Some people like a more laid back way of playing.

Personally, as a fan that's been playing mainline Pokemon games since gen 4, and as someone that didn't have very good first impressions of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee at first, I can say I had some fun with my Eevee version. Eevee is adorable, I absolutely love riding around on a Rapidash, etc. My only big problem is the lack of Pokemon from other generations. There haven't even been any updates adding them. Any other issues I had were more minor, like wishing catch rates were a bit better overall.

It's not my favorite Pokemon game, that still goes to Platinum, more or less, but I liked it enough. I've almost finished the Pokedex too.

Also, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are officially mainline games, they're not spinoffs. GameFreak said so. Why would they be considered spinoffs anyway? They still use the basic concept of Pokemon in traveling a region, building a team, and conquering gyms and stuff. That's mainline, not spinoff. So these games are the beginning of gen 8 due to Meltan's existence. They're just not the bulk of gen 8.

And speaking of which, GF also has confirmed that gen 8 will be meant to appeal more to veteran players than Let's Go and they're trying to make features to pull us in.

19 minutes ago, Perle said:

Because for some people being dropped into a game like Pokemon - which has a lot of long-established game mechanics that are sometimes glossed over in the mainline games - can be incredibly overwhelming.

In Let's Go, they can be introduced to things at a reduced pace, and therefor process and learn everything easier, without everything being thrown at them at once. When you take a step back from the Pokemon series, there is actually a lot to it. For someone who's totally unfamiliar with the game, it's daunting.

It isn't necessarily a "new fans only" thing, either. I've been playing Pokemon for over 10 years now, and I've enjoyed playing Let's Go. That might be because I had properly adjusted my expectations going into it though, as I knew it wasn't going to be like a mainline Pokemon game to begin with.

No it can't and won't? You can literally beat the game by never even knowing type advantages which is the most complex thing in the game you constantly must keep track off, everything else is stuff you can do cool math stuff with but isn't required like a move's base power.

This doesn't explain how not being able to run allows people to take more stuff in, or why doing anything or selecting anything lasts forever.
EDIT: Crystal was daunting to me when I was 6 but there was no tutorial, and I managed to learn on my own. People can learn on their own without being tightly grabbed around by their hand, for reference watch Egoraptor's sequelitis episodes.

I knew it wasn't going to be like a mainline pokemon game but I still didn't like it, I think people that came to Let's go as a stepping stone to the rest of the games are still going to be very confused because Let's GO changes so many core mechanics like wild encounters which is an RPG staple, not a pokemon one.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My only big problem is the lack of Pokemon from other generations. There haven't even been any updates adding them. Any other issues I had were more minor, like wishing catch rates were a bit better overall.

Oh and that too we didn't need another kanto remake for the normies who only know about that part of pokemon and won't even get in the mainline game anyways.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are officially mainline games, they're not spinoffs. GameFreak said so. Why would they be considered spinoffs anyway? They still use the basic concept of Pokemon in traveling a region, building a team, and conquering gyms and stuff. That's mainline, not spinoff. So these games are the beginning of gen 8 due to Meltan's existence. They're just not the bulk of gen 8.

It's not gen 8, it's still 7. Meltan was introduced in GO so that must be a 8th gen game right?!!!! No.

Honestly I don't see how Let's GO is a great way of introducing someone to the pokemon franchise, if a game is slow and boring it won't captivate anyone and I'll rather give Pokemon Platinum, Emerald or X to introduce people to the game. Because Let's GO doesn't properly represent the mainline franchise.
EDIT: And I have never played Platinum and never beaten Emerald but those games are good and better introductions.

Edited by Critical Sniper

25 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

It's not gen 8, it's still 7. Meltan was introduced in GO so that must be a 8th gen game right?!!!! No.

It's not a gen 7 game either. Meltan wasn't introduced in a gen 7 game or anything before that and is not obtainable in a gen 7 game. So it's gen 8.

If all you're going to do is complain in this whole thread though, and not really understand anyone else's point of view, I have nothing more to say here.

Yet, now I understand where some other people were coming from in the past when they'd say I complained about something too much...

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If all you're going to do is complain in this whole thread though, and not really understand anyone else's point of view, I have nothing more to say here.

Ok? I understand what you mean but I don;t agree with it. is that so wrong and unholy?

6 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Ok? I understand what you mean but I don;t agree with it. is that so wrong and unholy?

Of course not. Just so long as you understand just as you stated here.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

No it can't and won't? You can literally beat the game by never even knowing type advantages which is the most complex thing in the game you constantly must keep track off, everything else is stuff you can do cool math stuff with but isn't required like a move's base power.

This doesn't explain how not being able to run allows people to take more stuff in, or why doing anything or selecting anything lasts forever.
EDIT: Crystal was daunting to me when I was 6 but there was no tutorial, and I managed to learn on my own. People can learn on their own without being tightly grabbed around by their hand, for reference watch Egoraptor's sequelitis episodes.

I knew it wasn't going to be like a mainline pokemon game but I still didn't like it, I think people that came to Let's go as a stepping stone to the rest of the games are still going to be very confused because Let's GO changes so many core mechanics like wild encounters which is an RPG staple, not a pokemon one.

You say it can't and won't be daunting/overwhelming, yet admit to it being daunting to you as a child?

I never said it was impossible to beat or play a Pokemon game without knowing all there is to know about it, but consider the fact that some people may not want to bumble through a game aimlessly, and would instead like to understand what they're doing right and wrong. What is winning them fights, or why they're struggling with others. There's nothing wrong with having a stepping stone to understanding all that. It's true that there are some things that are changed drastically from one to the next, but think of how much easier it would then be to grasp the battle system when you already have knowledge of the rest of the game mechanics. Plus, battles aren't removed entirely, as trainer battles remain, so people are still getting a taste for how those work.

So, you didn't like the games, simple as that. Sometimes it's best just to accept that not every game is tailor-made for you, and buy more selectively.

To me it seems that one of LGP/E's overarching development themes was "convenience". The sheer amount of obvious quality of life improvements makes a for a very user friendly experience I would hardly call slow.

Getting rid of random encounters and having every Pokemon visible on screen makes for smoother exploration and travel. Shifting focus to catching instead of battling Pokemon lowers difficulty, which again results in less dead time. Add to that having all your Pokemon available all the time, since you have a portable box now in your bag and there is seldom any need to visit Pokemon Centers all that often. Furthermore, the game doubles down on previous QoL changes like offloading HMs to your partner's special abilities or getting exp for the whole team trough catching,  

There are some glaring ommisions in this remake like the lack of a bicycle but all in all I found Let's Go to be a very well paced game. Definitely more considerate of the player's time than the traditional entries. 

I haven't played pokemon let's go Pikachu/Eevee mostly because I don't have a switch and I just didn't care. But I do see where you're coming from.

The new pokemon games have to much text that you can't skip and a way to slow pace at the beginning (the entire game if we are talking gen 7). The gameplay also hasn't changed enough to keep me interested in playing the new games and the story could just as well not exist at all (at least for me). Sure they add new thing but the only thing they did was make the game easier.

in gen1 the only interactions that are forced and don't involve battles are the beginning where you pick your Pokemon, the shop dude, the pokedex and an oldman that had an hangover that shows you how to catch pokemon. Some might say that new games have more mechanics so they need to explain more. But I don't recall them explaining how abilities, natures, EV's and IV's work. The only thing that they need to explain is the basics, let the rest be told naturally during the journey.

I probably sounded like a bitter old man that thinks all new pokemon games suck. 

2 minutes ago, LJwalhout said:

I haven't played pokemon let's go Pikachu/Eevee mostly because I don't have a switch and I just didn't care. But I do see where you're coming from.

The new pokemon games have to much text that you can't skip and a way to slow pace at the beginning (the entire game if we are talking gen 7). The gameplay also hasn't changed enough to keep me interested in playing the new games and the story could just as well not exist at all (at least for me). Sure they add new thing but the only thing they did was make the game easier.

in gen1 the only interactions that are forced and don't involve battles are the beginning where you pick your Pokemon, the shop dude, the pokedex and an oldman that had an hangover that shows you how to catch pokemon. Some might say that new games have more mechanics so they need to explain more. But I don't recall them explaining how abilities, natures, EV's and IV's work. The only thing that they need to explain is the basics, let the rest be told naturally during the journey.

I probably sounded like a bitter old man that thinks all new pokemon games suck

FInally someone!

True

EV's and IV's exist in Gen 1 but the reason they didn't have much relevance is because there was a lack of a way to control them and because the competitive scene didn't exist yet. But why can't I skip the pokeball tutorial and why ae my rivals so friendly, all this does is make kids believe everyone will be their friend.

These are facts not opinions so no it doesn't.

I enjoyed Sun/Moon, but I agree that Pokemon games take waaaaay too long to get going in recent entries. The intros have slowly been getting longer and longer, and we're reaching the point where it's hampering the experience for a lot of people. Mostly the older people who want to enjoy Pokemon games as well.

And I don't get it. Pokemon was selling 40 million+ way back when the games first launched, and the most tutorial you got was "Go to Viridian city to buy some stuff and come back." This quick errand was enough to teach every child I knew back in the mid-late 90s how to play Pokemon. And if not, there was the dude at the ass end of Viridian who would teach you how to catch a Pokemon, and from then on, you were pretty much on your own.

I don't understand why there are now 3 hour tutorials in Pokemon games. It's not Dwarf Fortress. Kids are stupid, but they're not that stupid. If you want these tutorials to exist so that you can present a story in Pokemon games, cool. But don't make the experience so excruciatingly slow. Make stuff skippable so that people with half a brain can get to the part where the games open up a bit.

Edited by Slumber

The thing that annoy me the most about the more new Pokemon games are how easy they try to make everything, but I can sorta make things harder if I just turned the exp share off, which solves things a little, so I didn't mind it much anymore.

I also loved Sun/Moon, the post-game wasn't good in my eyes, but the main story was fun to go through in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

The thing that annoy me the most about the more new Pokemon games are how easy they try to make everything, but I can sorta make things harder if I just turned the exp share off, which solves things a little, so I didn't mind it much anymore.

Sun/Moon tried to make it a bit harder which I respect, what i didn't like was that you can't turn exp share off in GO and also even without exp share the games are so ez.

10 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I also loved Sun/Moon, the post-game wasn't good in my eyes, but the main story was fun to go through in my opinion.

The best thing to do is set the battle style to "Set".

It's still pretty easy, but at least you're not able to just counter every Pokemon the opponent has without eating a hit or giving them a turn to set up.

11 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I also think that the new games are to easy without limiting yourself. But I also think that the sort of challenge I would like out of pokemon would alienate most people. I'm the sort of guy that would make the first gym normal type, give it a Blissey, Girafarig, Lopunny, Miltank, Eviolite Lickitung and Snorlax and give them good moves. I would also insert a mechanic which makes it impossible to raise your pokemon to certain level until you earned a certain badge. Most people would probably hate the game for putting so many odds against you, but I've played pokemon for way to long so I would love it. So I have no idea how they could fix the difficulty thing aside from removing the Exp share (as a key item) and maybe making normal trainers a bit stronger.

I'm also hoping for pokemon to pull a Watchmen. I don't mean that I want pokemon to dark & edgy but more that it's gonna explore themes like, how would society work if pokemon where part of it? Would people have a different point of view because of pokemon? How would technology develop because of pokemon? I know that pokemon is meant for kids but it would be nice if they gave the games some depth and it's not like it has to be Game of Thrones to talk about these themes. I know that this isn't likely to happen but I can dream.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the upped difficulty of the battles in Sun and Moon, and how I constantly have to pay attention to my (and the opposing) Pokemon's moves. I actually wish there was a Super Easy/Super Hard mode like Persona 3/4 did - with the former being, just match up your supereffective types like in the earlier generations - just let me examine the region and ponder about the worldbuilding and not worry about the gameplay! Just because we're older does not mean we have the time for difficult games - I've got real life commitments to attend! If this form of complicated gameplay keeps going, then I might actually ditch Pokemon altogether.

Edited by henrymidfields