Jump to content
Byliyth

Coolest animals (in your opinion)?

Recommended Posts

I like dogs a lot but some animals I like are acquatic ones and those that fly. What I like about flight is that nature does ti with no machines or stuff but underwater animals there are so many of them and we can't know because they are just so deep down in the water. There could be trilions of species instead that we're not aware of because of the water, well realistically I'll put the number on 2 million more species.

What fascinates me more is how the earth can sustain all of this, it's amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XRay said:

I like most animals, especially furry mammals and birds. Right now, cats are on the top of my list.

Before I got a cat, I am not sure if I have an absolute favorite. I liked cats about the same as dogs, ferrets, rabbits, rodents, poultry, and other small domestic animals. My next favorites are larger domestic animals (cows, sheep, equines, etc.) and other small wild animals (foxes, wolves, kiwis, etc.). After that, the rest of the mammals and birds are my nest favorites. The rest of the animals are my fourth tier favorite. And finally, I hate spiders so they are dead last.

I think spiders are the only animals that I absolutely despise and will kill without hesitation. I am fine with scorpions though.

Sounds like the spiders have a much more justtified reason to hate you than vice versa.

hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

I like dogs a lot but some animals I like are acquatic ones and those that fly. What I like about flight is that nature does ti with no machines or stuff but underwater animals there are so many of them and we can't know because they are just so deep down in the water. There could be trilions of species instead that we're not aware of because of the water, well realistically I'll put the number on 2 million more species.

What fascinates me more is how the earth can sustain all of this, it's amazing.

Human flight is done with machines. Or are you forgetting humans are just as much a part of nature as any other species on the planet?

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slumber said:

You monster.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Sounds like the spiders have a much more justtified reason to hate you than vice versa.

I see it as an improvement for my arachnophobia. When I was young, I could not even get close to spiders. As I got older, I was able to turn that fear into hatred, and harness that hatred into action, and smack a spider whenever I see one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XRay said:

I see it as an improvement for my arachnophobia. When I was young, I could not even get close to spiders. As I got older, I was able to turn that fear into hatred, and harness that hatred into action, and smack a spider whenever I see one.

My life philosophy is:

If I see spiders, they're probably killing a bunch of other stuff I don't want to see.

I let them be on their way most of the time.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

My life philosophy is:

If I see spiders, they're probably killing a bunch of other stuff I don't want to see.

I let them be on their way most of the time.

I prefer house centipedes for pest control, and I like the fact that they predate on spiders too. I never knew they existed before I moved to New York and I try to save them if I see my cat hunting them. Sadly, I do not see any in California, so I see spiders in my home occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I prefer house centipedes for pest control, and I like the fact that they predate on spiders too. I never knew they existed before I moved to New York and I try to save them if I see my cat hunting them. Sadly, I do not see any in California, so I see spiders in my home occasionally.

The issue here is that spiders are, by and large, harmless and would rather avoid you. You really have to go out of your way to get bit by a spider, unless it's a very rare spider species that's inclined to act aggressively.

House centipedes hurt if they bite you, and are far more likely to act aggressively if cornered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The issue here is that spiders are, by and large, harmless and would rather avoid you. You really have to go out of your way to get bit by a spider, unless it's a very rare spider species that's inclined to act aggressively.

House centipedes hurt if they bite you, and are far more likely to act aggressively if cornered.

Logically, I know spiders are mostly harmless, but I cannot stand them so how I react to them is largely instinctual and irrational. House centipedes are just as harmless too and they try to avoid us as well.

Edited by XRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Human flight is done with machines. Or are you forgetting humans are just as much a part of nature as any other species on the planet?

ironic. im usually the one to remind others we are also animals.

 

but machines arent from naure, you know what I meant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, XRay said:

I see it as an improvement for my arachnophobia. When I was young, I could not even get close to spiders. As I got older, I was able to turn that fear into hatred, and harness that hatred into action, and smack a spider whenever I see one.

I think that was the same train of thought Hitler had regarding the Jews (ya, I went there!). Seriously though I'd prefer if you were paralyzed by fear at the mere sight of them rather than outright murdering a host of innocent creatures for absolutely no reason. I'm monstrously afraid of wasps, but I wouldn't try to kill one if it was in my presence (even though those guys can and do sting). I'd rather vacate the area. Live and let live.

Now mosquitos, I can and do kill any that have chosen to live in my house as they do directly interfere with my life by buzzing in my ear and trying to bite me when I'm attempting to get my eight hours. If I see any outside my house I leave them well enough alone, though.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mosquitoes are just nuisances and food for dragonflies and spiders etc. Spiders I will usually leave alone but if I see a black widow I'm killing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything in the canine family is the top of my list, since I spent most of my childhood with my dogs avoiding adults and my mom used to read me the jungle books at night.  I also really like any type of hawk and ravens, as well as horses and and cats.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird... I think about it and I don't have favorites, I like a lot of them but since I didn't have a pet or something similar I don't have any connection.

Now I feel bad...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always had a romanticized picture of whales in my head. I really like them, big ones in particular. I also like turtles/tortoises.

 

Edit: oh and birds, because I am jealous of their ability of unassisted flight.

Edited by SlayerX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Margay.  (i.e. take a squirrel--now turn it into a cat)

"It is remarkably agile; its ankles can turn up to 180 degrees, it can grasp branches equally well with its fore and hind paws, and it is able to jump up to 12 ft (3.7 m) horizontally."

Image result for margay jumping  

"The margay is a much more skilful climber than its relatives, and it is sometimes called the tree ocelot because of this ability. The margay may spend its entire life in the trees, leaping after and chasing birds and monkeys through the treetops. It is one of only two cat species with the ankle flexibility necessary to climb head-first down trees."

Image result for margay climbing

"Margays have recently been discovered to hunt by mimicking the vocalisation of a prey species, which has been compared by scientists to tool-use by monkeys."

Related image

________________


^^^

Love all cats to begin with, and this little dude is the coolest of the bunch. 

Image result for margay in a tree

Edited by Shoblongoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like bees because they are like the misunderstood "mean girl" of real life. Everyone thinks they are bad and will sting you but in actuality the only time they fight back are when you are being a jerk. Cephalopod's are also cool because they are intelligent, fast, strong, and can camouflage. They are like the Mary Sue's of the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:28 AM, Water Mage said:

While not my favorite animal, dolphins fascinate me...not that particulary like those sort of things, but it amazes that people think dolphins are kind creatures.

The incredible cruelty of dolphins is scary, the kill for fun, they gang rape, beat up females to force sex and there’s footage of them being sexually agressive towards humans swimmers.

Moving from the subject of cruelty, dolphins are some of the fews animals know to have sex for pleasure, they masturbate, they often engage in homosexual relationships and back on the cruelty subject, male dolphins are know to sexually assault other male dolphins to assert dominance. Dolphins also seem capable of consciously committing suicide.

How did dolphins get their reputation of being friendly and kind creatures? It’s as puzzling as how the owl is associated with intelligence when it’s actually one of the dumbest birds species.

[FUN FACT]: Dolphins are the only animals besides humans that purposefully intoxicate themselves to “get high,” for fun. Pufferfish release a toxin when they inflate to protect themselves against predators. Dolphins have figured out that this toxin doesn’t actually hurt them, but that they can trip out on it. Dolphins will purposefully attack pufferfish just to make them inflate and release their toxin, then rub up on them + pass them around like a marijuana cigarette. (Dolphins are pretty cool)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 11:33 AM, Water Mage said:

Remember when I said owls are dumb birds? Well, one of the reasons people associate owls with intelligence is because they see and hear well in the dark right?

Isn't it also because owls are associated with Athena/Minerva, the Greek/Roman goddess of wisdom?

Back to the topic at hand, I love foxes, they are cute, fluffy, and have a bunch of cool legends about them!

And also bunnies, but who doesn't like bunnies?

I also really like big birds, like hawks and eagles.

Baby harp seals are really cute with the way they move, and they look soft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penguins. 

Why? Because Tuxedo birds are fat and smol and adorable and anyone who says otherwise is wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shoblongoo Omg I now love them!

Sand cats are another very cute and awesome feline.

Related image

 

Just look at those faces!

Quote

Dolphins are the only animals besides humans that purposefully intoxicate themselves to “get high,” for fun. Pufferfish release a toxin when they inflate to protect themselves against predators. Dolphins have figured out that this toxin doesn’t actually hurt them, but that they can trip out on it. Dolphins will purposefully attack pufferfish just to make them inflate and release their toxin, then rub up on them + pass them around like a marijuana cigarette. (Dolphins are pretty cool)

Geez, poor pufferfish! At least humans will kill the cannabis plant before they use it to get high...

Edited by Dragoncat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might as well let my first post live up to my name lmfao.

Alright guys, hear me out. Cockroaches. Arguably the most misunderstood animal on Earth.

There are approximately 4,500 species of cockroaches living on the planet. 30 of which (0.667%) are associated with human biomes. Only five of those— a whopping 0.1% of all roach species— are considered to be widespread pests. Despite their penchant for transporting things like bacteria and mold (usually things they pick up from other humans and their delicious, delicious garbage), they are actually meticulous groomers, particularly when it comes to their antennae. They spend a lot of time cleaning them, almost like a cat.

They usually live in large families of two or three generations, and they can tell each individual family member apart. They're capable of classical conditioning, something previously only reported in dogs and humans, and may even have their own personalities.

Behavior aside (something that, in my opinion, could use a lot more research, just like bee behavior), plenty of roaches themselves just look rad. They're radroaches, if you will. I'm avoiding directly posting images since I know plenty of people are entomophobic, but here are some particularly interesting-looking roaches!

P. mitchelli — Mardi Gras Cockroach

C. magnificaEmerald Roach

B. craniifer — Death's Head Roach

T. petiverianaDomino Cockroach

And of course, my personal favorite, the infamous G. portentosa: The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach, or 'hisser' for short. I'm rather biased, as I've been keeping a terrarium of them for a few years now, but goodness they're so much fun. They're docile, easy to handle, and they'll eat your leftovers. Many colonies also live symbiotically with a species of mite that cannot survive without the roaches: these mites are wonderfully beneficial, as they eat any mold that begins to grow on their hosts, making them MUCH easier on any roachkeepers with allergies.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but hopefully at least one person will find themselves with a newfound appreciation for these neat buggos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blattodea said:

Might as well let my first post live up to my name lmfao.

Alright guys, hear me out. Cockroaches. Arguably the most misunderstood animal on Earth.

There are approximately 4,500 species of cockroaches living on the planet. 30 of which (0.667%) are associated with human biomes. Only five of those— a whopping 0.1% of all roach species— are considered to be widespread pests. Despite their penchant for transporting things like bacteria and mold (usually things they pick up from other humans and their delicious, delicious garbage), they are actually meticulous groomers, particularly when it comes to their antennae. They spend a lot of time cleaning them, almost like a cat.

They usually live in large families of two or three generations, and they can tell each individual family member apart. They're capable of classical conditioning, something previously only reported in dogs and humans, and may even have their own personalities.

Behavior aside (something that, in my opinion, could use a lot more research, just like bee behavior), plenty of roaches themselves just look rad. They're radroaches, if you will. I'm avoiding directly posting images since I know plenty of people are entomophobic, but here are some particularly interesting-looking roaches!

P. mitchelli — Mardi Gras Cockroach

C. magnificaEmerald Roach

B. craniifer — Death's Head Roach

T. petiverianaDomino Cockroach

And of course, my personal favorite, the infamous G. portentosa: The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach, or 'hisser' for short. I'm rather biased, as I've been keeping a terrarium of them for a few years now, but goodness they're so much fun. They're docile, easy to handle, and they'll eat your leftovers. Many colonies also live symbiotically with a species of mite that cannot survive without the roaches: these mites are wonderfully beneficial, as they eat any mold that begins to grow on their hosts, making them MUCH easier on any roachkeepers with allergies.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but hopefully at least one person will find themselves with a newfound appreciation for these neat buggos.

Plus they can survive nukes. Any animal metal enough to survive a nuke is undeniably cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...