General Tabletop (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Topic

Azure the Scale Tipper

I get the feeling a good bit of you here have played D&D in the past, especially the older members. I want to get into Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition, I just need the books. I have the wikia page favorited, but I am abiding by how it does not replace the books. I have plenty of B-day/Christmas money to get plenty.

Anyone interested in playing when I am ready?

Edit: We can also discuss our experiences in tabletop games, including notable stories.

Edited by Azure the Scale Tipper
Forgot to add a detail.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The books certainly help but imagination, creativity, and a great DM with said books alleviate your need for most of the books. All you really need is a Player's Handbook and a set of dice if you are a player. Although, it's a genuine amount of joy creating tales for a group of friends and role-playing/voicing dozens of NPCS they meet along the way. 

I've been playing D&D on and off since I was 15 and I'm 46 now so it's been awhile. I think the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance campaigns are a rather good starting point. Lots of established lore and rich history to get involved in.  I ran a campaign where the players ended up realizing that they were stuck in a groundhog day like scenario by the main villain and attempting to thwart his dastardly plans ... Then there was this other.. You get the idea. ?

Yeah, obviously the books are not fully necessary. There are just some subclasses and other mechanics, equipment, etc that I may need as a player and as an eventual DM.

With your long experience, are you a better player or DM?

The two roles go hand in hand actually unless you ask my friends about some of the horrible singing I did as NPC bards in the sessions more than a few times. I think I make a better narrator/storyteller than a player though. Once you run multiple campaigns for people, you do end up being a better player because of all of the various characters you embody. Although, you do run the risk of being too similar to NPCS you played in the past as a DM. 

I've played only one session of DnD, but that was fun enough.  I attempted to steal some beast's heart off of one of my allies (as a bard, btw) because I was worn out and hungry, and I rolled, like, a 2 or something.

Otherwise, my DnD experience has mostly been me watching folks.  Which at least gave me better insight into what the game is about and what is possible.

That being said, I'd be interested in playing.  Not as a DM, I don't quite have enough experience with the game to keep up with everything in that role.  But I'd be down to play, and I've got money to burn on a Player's Handbook.  I've always loved roleplaying, but never did it in a controlled environment - which often resulted in everything falling apart - so I've always had some interest in trying it.

I've had an interest in playing for a while but tabletop gaming around here is sort of anemic. I played only a few sessions of Pathfinder over the internet and while it was fine, most likely prefer playing locally personally.

If you have money to burn, there was a released gift set of the core rulebooks for D&D 5e that is fairly nice, especially the alternate covers. I picked these up just to have them but unless you're a DM the other two books aside from the Player's Handbook aren't necessary.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dd-core-rules-gift-set

It's a lot cheaper on amazon US right now. $170 is just a price that nobody actually pays.

Or $130 for the other set of covers, which is more than likely not worth it.

You can also get them separately, it was just something that I saw when I was getting interest in making more effort to play recently.

Edited by Tryhard

well yeah, but that's a piracy website. it's only been up for months because the last website was taken down

it's useful, but not exactly reliable like a hardcover or digital copy when it is subject to be taken down at any time if you don't download and store it

Edited by Tryhard

Ok, so I added up all the prices on Amazon, and it looks like it’s $10 less than the pack, but $30 less than the pack with the alternate covers.

That might be worth the price, but ok. I can improvise with screens and such, and I might do some campaigns online.

Anyways, to change topics, what is your favorite D&D story you heard?

13 hours ago, grinus said:

This campaign is pretty cool. 

I’ll look into that later today.

Edit: *Sees Matt Mercer* Of course it’s good.

Edited by Azure the Scale Tipper
Reactionary comment.

I'm quite found of D&D even if I don't get to play it as much as I would like, but it's easily some of the most fun I've had plaything table top games.

One of my personal favorite moments from personal experience was in the first game I ever played when in a battle against a giant I had my character use a spear to pole vault up to the giant's head and slice of one of it's ears. The whole table when absolutely wild when I managed to pull it off!

1 minute ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I'm quite found of D&D even if I don't get to play it as much as I would like, but it's easily some of the most fun I've had plaything table top games.

One of my personal favorite moments from personal experience was in the first game I ever played when in a battle against a giant I had my character use a spear to pole vault up to the giant's head and slice of one of it's ears. The whole table when absolutely wild when I managed to pull it off!

I’m sure they would. Nat 20?

11 minutes ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

I’m sure they would. Nat 20?

I believe so, at least on the initial vault upwards. Beyond that I actually didn't roll very high on the damage roll, hence why my character only managed to cut off an ear. Regardless it's still one of my best early memories of the game.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

1 minute ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I believe so, at least on the initial vault upwards. Beyond that I actually didn't roll very high on the damage roll, hence why it why my character only managed to cut off an ear. Regardless it's still one of my best early memories of the game.

I was not talking about the damage roll, but ok.

What is everyone’s favorite class, then?

I've been playing for about three years now, and I love it. I don't play as much as I want to, so if you have a spot open sometime, I'll happily join. I've been a DM most of the time, but I've been a player for about... three? sessions or so. 

Since I haven't really been a player for all that long, I can't say what my favorite class is in practice, but in theory, I'd say either Warlock or Paladin.

2 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

I've been playing for about three years now, and I love it. I don't play as much as I want to, so if you have a spot open sometime, I'll happily join. I've been a DM most of the time, but I've been a player for about... three? sessions or so. 

Since I haven't really been a player for all that long, I can't say what my favorite class is in practice, but in theory, I'd say either Warlock or Paladin.

We have ourselves a DM if we want to do an SF D&D session on D20.net or something.

My favorite class in these games is easily cleric. With all the options at their disposal you can play them any way you want... but I just get a natural high from healing like there's no tomorrow. :P: I get kinda insecure at the though of role-playing a devout follower of a fake religion though and wound up making them all Catholics, which lead to some memorable lines too. Paladins are also great fun, and Warlock translates into my head as "magical girl parodies" and I wanna play one sometime to experiment with the concept.

I have a hard time picking between which system I like best, because 5e is easy to play and it's easy to find people to play it with, but I learned the game on Pathfinder and the sheer depth of customization in that system is so, so good.

1 hour ago, PeaceRibbon said:

My favorite class in these games is easily cleric. With all the options at their disposal you can play them any way you want... but I just get a natural high from healing like there's no tomorrow. :P: I get kinda insecure at the though of role-playing a devout follower of a fake religion though and wound up making them all Catholics, which lead to some memorable lines too. Paladins are also great fun, and Warlock translates into my head as "magical girl parodies" and I wanna play one sometime to experiment with the concept.

I have a hard time picking between which system I like best, because 5e is easy to play and it's easy to find people to play it with, but I learned the game on Pathfinder and the sheer depth of customization in that system is so, so good.

Hey, no reason for me not to try both. Especially since Pathfinder has a Kitsune race in it. 

3 minutes ago, grinus said:

Rogues adept at haggling and charming their way through situations is fun to play, although I do have a fondness for Wizards who specialize in illusions.

Arcane Trickster, Mastermind, and Inquisitive Rougish archetypes in 5e seem to be right up your alley, then.