General Tabletop (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Topic

Azure the Scale Tipper

Unfamiliar with 5e but reading up on it after watching people use it. The general consensus is it works well and lets people focus on role play.  I used a customized 2nd edition ruleset in the Forgotten Realms setting with some steampunk elements.  My campaign took place 15 years after the Time of Troubles. A lot of minor narrative changes to accommodate my unique story arcs. I'm still in the process of getting used to all of the changes. Most of them for the betterment of the game.  

So, no Savvy merchant class, eh? ?

Edited by grinus

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get all the information you need to play pathfinder online for free so it's great if you're playing on a budget, only downside is that it's a lot harder to learn than D&D 5e.

I don't really have a favorite class since there are plenty of classes that I haven't played, but I want to play. I've mostly played martial classes like Fighters and Paladins, but I've really wanted to play something a lot more spell heavy since I've gotten more familiar with how other aspects of the game work mechanically.

11 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

You can get all the information you need to play pathfinder online for free so it's great if you're playing on a budget, only downside is that it's a lot harder to learn than D&D 5e.

I don't really have a favorite class since there are plenty of classes that I haven't played, but I want to play. I've mostly played martial classes like Fighters and Paladins, but I've really wanted to play something a lot more spell heavy since I've gotten more familiar with how other aspects of the game work mechanically.

Will do when I have the chance.

With either game, I’m going to start with a martial class. For D&D 5e, I will be a Dragonborn Kensei Monk (XPtoLv3 said it was the true easiest class to play, and I like what I have so far) for a non-premise character sheet (like what the starter pack has).

I really enjoy D&D, though haven't had the chance to play it much recently, as both I and more and more of my friend circles have more demands on our time. D&D is really best when you can get a consistent group of people to put aside a large block of time (at least 3 hours) on a fairly regular basis, and sadly this isn't so easy for us any more. :(

I've been playing since 2e, though I only really fell in love with the system in 4e, which has really great combat, really starting to feel like a strategy RPG. These days I mainly DM 5e (I love DMing and I find it hard to go back to being a player now), which is simplified so is nice for a more casual crowd. (I have one player who really can't play anything more complicated than a 5e fighter/barbarian... and only the simpler class paths of those!) Both good games, it really depends what the player group wants.

Neither I nor the DMs I've played for really rely on previously made settings. For me, coming up with settings is a huge part of the fun! It is of course nice to have access to some ready-made stuff in the monster manual, etc., though I often find I need to make pretty heavy customizations to them.

58 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I really enjoy D&D, though haven't had the chance to play it much recently, as both I and more and more of my friend circles have more demands on our time. D&D is really best when you can get a consistent group of people to put aside a large block of time (at least 3 hours) on a fairly regular basis, and sadly this isn't so easy for us any more. :(

I've been playing since 2e, though I only really fell in love with the system in 4e, which has really great combat, really starting to feel like a strategy RPG. These days I mainly DM 5e (I love DMing and I find it hard to go back to being a player now), which is simplified so is nice for a more casual crowd. (I have one player who really can't play anything more complicated than a 5e fighter/barbarian... and only the simpler class paths of those!) Both good games, it really depends what the player group wants.

Neither I nor the DMs I've played for really rely on previously made settings. For me, coming up with settings is a huge part of the fun! It is of course nice to have access to some ready-made stuff in the monster manual, etc., though I often find I need to make pretty heavy customizations to them.

Never mind, this is our DM.

He will provide a better story than Echoes!

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome, if possible I would like to play D&D someday (I played a couple of tabletop RPG but I have a burning desire to play a campaign).

Ps: If someone is going to do one and there is a free space I would love to join if possible.

32 minutes ago, Silafante said:

This is awesome, if possible I would like to play D&D someday (I played a couple of tabletop RPG but I have a burning desire to play a campaign).

Ps: If someone is going to do one and there is a free space I would love to join if possible.

Oh, we are not planning games yet. I’ll let you know if we do, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I kind of want to do a D&D group sometime in the future. Maybe after some practice.

@grinus @Ertrick36 @Tryhard @Fala @TheGoodHoms @Bhoop @PeaceRibbon @Dark Holy Elf @Silafante

Any of you interested? I can just be a player, DHE can be the DM. Still is quite a crowd for D&D.

@Azure in a Roundabout Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid my college work has really picked up recently so I don't have a lot of free time right now. Maybe I can start joining games later on, but for right now I can't really spare the time, especially since my scheduled tends to change a lot.

But until then I'd be willing to offer any advice I possibly can. I don't claim to be an expert, but I've learned enough about playing/running tabletop games that I'd feel confident imparting some tips for anyone who needs it.

@Azure in a Roundabout I'd certainly be willing to try being a player.  I'd be doing it through my desktop PC, and I have a quality microphone if that matters at all.

Be sure to communicate with everyone about schedules.  For my schedule, it's pretty flexible.  Besides that, DM will take questions from players before it officially starts.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

@Azure in a Roundabout I'd certainly be willing to try being a player.  I'd be doing it through my desktop PC, and I have a quality microphone if that matters at all.

Be sure to communicate with everyone about schedules.  For my schedule, it's pretty flexible.  Besides that, DM will take questions from players before it officially starts.

K. Will let everyone know when I want to get things started.

13 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

@Azure in a Roundabout

I'd love to join you guys as a player. Is there a discord server or group chat we could join to make things easier? 

My schedule isn't all that flexible, but I can probably move some things around if need be. 

I have not made anything yet. I don’t even have a Discord account.

Will let you know, though.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:09 PM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I have not made anything yet. I don’t even have a Discord account.

Discord would help - it's a good online chat tool.  That and Roll20, at least for online D&D.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

Discord would help - it's a good online chat tool.  That and Roll20, at least for online D&D.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I’ll see soon enough if my laptop can run it. Rather old Toshiba laptop from, like, the beginning of this decade.

Btw everyone, I should have the books by the end of this weekend.

So my physics teacher is currently making a character for a campaign with his friends.

Obviously, I am not going to join, but I have told him this:

My first character will be a Dragonborn Kensei Monk. Color depends on how the DM handles Dragonborn lore.

I have a lot of ideas for characters so I am pretty flexible about what role to play in the party.

My only question is which content could I use. And if there is a limit like Adventure League (PHB + 1) or similar.

13 hours ago, Silafante said:

My only question is which content could I use. And if there is a limit like Adventure League (PHB + 1) or similar.

I’ll see.

Anyway, I have the Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and some spellbook cards for martial and racial spells, as well as some spellbook cards from Xanathar’s Guide to Everything.

I’ll make my first character shortly, may play a game with my friends first (I know some people who play D&D).