General Tabletop (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Topic

Azure the Scale Tipper

13 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I guess during that session I'll go ahead and recreate my character in the roll20 system.  I basically have him completed in a pdf character sheet, but I'm not really great with using pdf files so I can't really save it in an editable fashion (or rather, I don't know how to save it so that the information is still there while also still being editable).  All I really need to work out is stuff like backstory and traits, which I'd rather just do with the DM and/or forge as I play.

Also, thank you for volunteering to be the DM.

No problem. I could send you an editable pdf if you'd like? Also, as for discord servers, I'm on the East side of the US. What about you guys? I'm trying to make one in advance.

Edited by Bhoop

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bhoop said:

No problem. I could send you an editable pdf if you'd like? Also, as for discord servers, I'm on the East side of the US. What about you guys? I'm trying to make one in advance.

I'll figure out the pdf thing if I have to.  Important thing is I have all the important character data recorded.

I'm on the northwestern side.  Western side of Montana, to be more specific, which is in the region with Idaho, Washington, and the Dakotas.  Though I have a wired connection, it should be pretty decent.  I'm able to chat and play with people from all the way down in Argentina, in France, and/or the Bahamas.

6 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I also saw you decided to be Chaotic Neutral and with that I'd like to make some recommendations. Firstly, don't fall into the trap of thinking Neutral on the Good and Evil spectrum means sometime you're Good and sometimes you're Evil. In my book Neutral characters lean more towards Good than Evil, but they're a bit more selfish than Good characters and will be more motivated by the promise of some sort of reward or personal gain than just the simple act of doing. Secondly, Chaotic doesn't automatically mean you do everything on a whim or that you're an anarchist, it could be that you value personal freedoms or you tend to disagree with the established authority of your setting more often than not while still seeing some value in having it there. Thirdly, don't "play your alignment," it's more of a guideline for roleplaying your character than a hard rule, allow it to change over time if need be.

Definitely heed all of this.

A "lawful good" character might be convinced to break some rules in exceptional circumstances, and "chaotic evil" characters may heed the rules if they see no need to break them (they just generally don't agree with the rules or authority).  Chaotic neutral characters might not go out of their way to be good people or follow the rules, but they'll typically have at least one person they're loyal to and they won't defy the law if there's no cause or reason from them to do so.  Really good thieves will play by the rules in the presence of the law to make them seem like trustworthy folks, and then swipe away money and valuables when no one's paying attention and they know the blame won't be pinned on them (or that they'll be able to make a getaway before they're blamed).

More importantly, a character's morality doesn't define their personality so much as their personality defines their morality.  And morality is subject to change based on new information and experiences.

Also, don't change allegiance with the enemy if you're a neutral character.  Just generally don't ever do that.  It's not a practice that is smiled upon.  When you're part of a party, you want to stick with them to the end, even if that end means your character's death.  That is, unless you set things up with the DM in the first place, though typically party betrayals are only ever committed by NPC's.  It is possible for the players to make new characters for a second part of a campaign, but that should be preserved for special and extraordinary circumstances.  As a rule of thumb, people don't like you killing their characters, and they don't like being forced to kill your character.  You can have little squabbles, arguments, and even some schisms among the party, but nothing that'll split them up forever or lead to one of them killing another party member.

1 hour ago, Silafante said:

Ps: I am from Spain so that maybe can be a problem

We'll see in our Session 0.

Luckily Spain is one of the closest nations across the ocean to the United States.  Connecting to you wouldn't be like connecting to someone in, say, India or Madagascar.  Also, there's the fact that it seems like besides you, me, and the DM, there's maybe only one other who's up for joining us.

Also, can you use Mirror Image (usually a level 2 spell) as a Celestial Warlock at level 1?

17 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

We'll see in our Session 0.

Luckily Spain is one of the closest nations across the ocean to the United States.  Connecting to you wouldn't be like connecting to someone in, say, India or Madagascar.  Also, there's the fact that it seems like besides you, me, and the DM, there's maybe only one other who's up for joining us.

Also, can you use Mirror Image (usually a level 2 spell) as a Celestial Warlock at level 1?

And that's why I post it so people could give a once over.

It is Minor Ilusion (the Cantrip) but since I was looking a lot of spells I screw up

Sorry :(:

1 minute ago, Silafante said:

And that's why I post it so people could give a once over.

It is Minor Ilusion (the Cantrip) but since I was looking a lot of spells I screw up

Sorry :(:

It's alright.  I try to be careful to not be a rules lawyer, as that's kind of more the role for a DM.  I assumed a lot of those spells were granted not by your Warlock class, but rather the Patron (as all Patrons grant you access to some spells).

Here's another bit I'll tell you.  "Arcane Focus" refers to certain tools you use for casting spells.  You can either choose a component pouch, or you can pick an arcane focus item, which is either a Crystal, an Orb, a Rod, a Staff (not your Quarterstaff, a Staff specifically made for spellcasting), or a Wand.  The cheapest option is a Staff, while the most expensive one is the component pouch.

Though quite a few spells don't require a spellcasting focus to use.  The parts necessary for a spell are labeled as V (verbal; you whisper, chant, or shout your spell), S (somatic; you make hand gestures to cast the spell), and M (material; requires either certain components or a spellcasting focus [arcane focus for Warlocks] to be possessed by the player and used with one hand [which could be the same hand that is employed for the somatic part), and you can look to see which spells require which components in the spell descriptions.  For example, Healing Word is only labeled with a "V", which means you only need to be able to speak to cast it, while Unseen Servant is labeled with "V S M", which means you need to be able to speak, have one hand free, and be able to hold the materials/spellcasting focus in either hand.

So to that end, if you don't have spell cards, it might be a good idea to go ahead and record the spell descriptions somewhere else so that you don't have to open up your handbook every time to know what it does and how you're supposed to use it.

And at level 1, a Warlock should only know two cantrips and two 1st level spells, with only one first level spell slot available.

This spell list can help you figure out what spells you can use as a Warlock; just click on the "Level" and "Class" boxes and select "Cantrips" or "Level 1" for the first and "Warlock" for the latter.  Since the Celestial Patron isn't in the handbook, it won't tell you which spells that gives you access to, so you'll have to consult whatever source gave you that Patron as well as @Bhoop to make sure it's okay to use (us players seem to be okay with it, but Bhoop hasn't said anything about it).  But this can all wait until Session 0.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

It's alright.  I try to be careful to not be a rules lawyer, as that's kind of more the role for a DM.  I assumed a lot of those spells were granted not by your Warlock class, but rather the Patron (as all Patrons grant you access to some spells).

Here's another bit I'll tell you.  "Arcane Focus" refers to certain tools you use for casting spells.  You can either choose a component pouch, or you can pick an arcane focus item, which is either a Crystal, an Orb, a Rod, a Staff (not your Quarterstaff, a Staff specifically made for spellcasting), or a Wand.  The cheapest option is a Staff, while the most expensive one is the component pouch.

Though quite a few spells don't require a spellcasting focus to use.  The parts necessary for a spell are labeled as V (verbal; you whisper, chant, or shout your spell), S (somatic; you make hand gestures to cast the spell), and M (material; requires either certain components or a spellcasting focus [arcane focus for Warlocks] to be possessed by the player and used with one hand [which could be the same hand that is employed for the somatic part), and you can look to see which spells require which components in the spell descriptions.  For example, Healing Word is only labeled with a "V", which means you only need to be able to speak to cast it, while Unseen Servant is labeled with "V S M", which means you need to be able to speak, have one hand free, and be able to hold the materials/spellcasting focus in either hand.

So to that end, if you don't have spell cards, it might be a good idea to go ahead and record the spell descriptions somewhere else so that you don't have to open up your handbook every time to know what it does and how you're supposed to use it.

And at level 1, a Warlock should only know two cantrips and two 1st level spells, with only one first level spell slot available.

This spell list can help you figure out what spells you can use as a Warlock; just click on the "Level" and "Class" boxes and select "Cantrips" or "Level 1" for the first and "Warlock" for the latter.  Since the Celestial Patron isn't in the handbook, it won't tell you which spells that gives you access to, so you'll have to consult whatever source gave you that Patron as well as @Bhoop to make sure it's okay to use (us players seem to be okay with it, but Bhoop hasn't said anything about it).  But this can all wait until Session 0.

Sacred flame and Light are for free because of Celestial Patron.

I already talked with Bhoop and give the OK since this is from Xanathar's guide.

About Arcane focus which should I use? And as far as I know the arcane focus substitutes the material component as long as the component doesn't have a value with it.

About the component, thanks for saying that because I completely forgot about it (and I have my friend helping me because if I had to do all this alone...).

25 minutes ago, Silafante said:

About Arcane focus which should I use? And as far as I know the arcane focus substitutes the material component as long as the component doesn't have a value with it.

Any one should do.  As far as I know, the difference in starter arcane focuses is flavor and fluff.  Only later items have special properties that actually matter.  Well, them and I guess the component pouch since you can store magical items in it.

It’s not like bards, where you have to pick only three instruments to be proficient in.  Any spellcaster that uses Arcane Focuses can use them all equally well.

As for the World you guys will be in, how detailed would you guys like it? Like, are you guys ok with something cliché and simple, or do you want something complicated and well-thought out. (Either way, I am going to plan it out. Basically I'm just asking how much lore you guys want.)

25 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

As for the World you guys will be in, how detailed would you guys like it? Like, are you guys ok with something cliché and simple, or do you want something complicated and well-thought out. (Either way, I am going to plan it out. Basically I'm just asking how much lore you guys want.)

Well, I don't necessarily know if this means more or less lore (probably more), but the kind of world I'd want is one that's interesting and has some intrigue.  I'm interested in the characters I'd be interacting with and some of the less combat-oriented encounters (though I don't mind combat, I just know some want nothing but combat, while I'm more interested in exploration and interaction).

I don't know if that really answers your question, but I hope it does.  I'm not into lore of the past so much as I'm into good, interesting NPCs/villains and present mysteries that need to be solved.  If lore doesn't impact those things, then I don't particularly care.  I guess since FE frequently goes with cliché lore while still having great characters and interesting intrigue (in the case of Genealogy, at least), I guess it's possible to do those things with cliché, simple lore.  But it'd depend on what the others want.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, I don't necessarily know if this means more or less lore (probably more), but the kind of world I'd want is one that's interesting and has some intrigue.  I'm interested in the characters I'd be interacting with and some of the less combat-oriented encounters (though I don't mind combat, I just know some want nothing but combat, while I'm more interested in exploration and interaction).

I don't know if that really answers your question, but I hope it does.  I'm not into lore of the past so much as I'm into good, interesting NPCs/villains and present mysteries that need to be solved.  If lore doesn't impact those things, then I don't particularly care.  I guess since FE frequently goes with cliché lore while still having great characters and interesting intrigue (in the case of Genealogy, at least), I guess it's possible to do those things with cliché, simple lore.  But it'd depend on what the others want.

I think I know what you mean. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I am almost totally on board with this, but a little more of lore than the FE games would like it since as much I like them the lore is kinda... meager (but you don't need to over do it).

2 hours ago, Silafante said:

I am almost totally on board with this, but a little more of lore than the FE games would like it since as much I like them the lore is kinda... meager (but you don't need to over do it).

Yeah, it's always some variation of "dragons were in power, humans rebelled, dragons forced to submit".  Either that, or it's "these factions hated those factions".  I'd always say the weakest areas in FE storytelling are the villains and the lore.

How about you, @Azure in a Roundabout?  What region are you from and what kind of world would you want out of this campaign?

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, it's always some variation of "dragons were in power, humans rebelled, dragons forced to submit".  Either that, or it's "these factions hated those factions".  I'd always say the weakest areas in FE storytelling are the villains and the lore.

How about you, @Azure in a Roundabout?  What region are you from and what kind of world would you want out of this campaign?

Well, my Dragonborn monk would have been from the mountains. The names of said mountains, I dunno. Snowy mountains, since my Dragonborn will be Silver.

Also, interesting lore and stuff is fine, basically what everyone else is saying here.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

7 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Well, my Dragonborn monk would have been from the mountains. The names of said mountains, I dunno. Snowy mountains, since my Dragonborn will be Silver.

I meant for the Discord, but that's cool.

EDIT: I don't mean this to be dismissive, I was just trying to ask where you (the player, not the character) are from for the purpose of helping Bhoop make a Discord server for us.

Edited by Ertrick36

8 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I meant for the Discord, but that's cool.

EDIT: I don't mean this to be dismissive, I was just trying to ask where you (the player, not the character) are from for the purpose of helping Bhoop make a Discord server for us.

Southeastern US.

Alright, so...

Seems we have three players, one from NW United States, one from SE United States, and one from Spain, our DM coming from E United States.  And we all would want roughly the same thing out of the world, though Silafante wants maybe a bit more lore.

Think this could work, @Bhoop?

@Azure in a Roundabout Since you've been getting into your character a little bit (and @Silafante showed off his sheet), I guess I'll talk a bit about my own, though I won't go too much into him as I'd like the revealing of more elements to happen as they become relevant.

Gonna be a Halfling Bard.  Probably a pretty typical one; taking to the adventuring life because he wants to find some new and interesting friends, curious about everything, overtly kind... basically the humanoid form of a Corgi.  Comes from the countryside, on agricultural land.  Loves animals, but didn't do much good with the book learning.  Typically Halflings like to stay put where they are, but some take to travelling.  Obviously my character is one of those taken to adventuring, but not really for the fame or glory so much as it is because he heard his pappy and grandpappy used to adventure and make lots of good friends.  Also he's all stir crazy working the same fields all day for, like 15+ years and talking to the same people (same kinds of people, too) all his life.  He doesn't rightly know what kinds of horrors and troubles could await him, but he at least prepared with some tools and spells he uses to scare off varmints or hunt down deer.

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Alright, so...

Seems we have three players, one from NW United States, one from SE United States, and one from Spain, our DM coming from E United States.  And we all would want roughly the same thing out of the world, though Silafante wants maybe a bit more lore.

Think this could work, @Bhoop?

@Azure in a Roundabout Since you've been getting into your character a little bit (and @Silafante showed off his sheet), I guess I'll talk a bit about my own, though I won't go too much into him as I'd like the revealing of more elements to happen as they become relevant.

Gonna be a Halfling Bard.  Probably a pretty typical one; taking to the adventuring life because he wants to find some new and interesting friends, curious about everything, overtly kind... basically the humanoid form of a Corgi.  Comes from the countryside, on agricultural land.  Loves animals, but didn't do much good with the book learning.  Typically Halflings like to stay put where they are, but some take to travelling.  Obviously my character is one of those taken to adventuring, but not really for the fame or glory so much as it is because he heard his pappy and grandpappy used to adventure and make lots of good friends.  Also he's all stir crazy working the same fields all day for, like 15+ years and talking to the same people (same kinds of people, too) all his life.  He doesn't rightly know what kinds of horrors and troubles could await him, but he at least prepared with some tools and spells he uses to scare off varmints or hunt down deer.

If everyone wants a "low lore" world I am totally fine with it, so if it is for me please don't make anything beyond what you feel comfortable @Bhoop or what would be fun for the group.

PS: A monk, a bard and warlock, if we have to open something using our strengh we are kinda screwed :lol:.

Edited by Silafante

5 hours ago, Silafante said:

If everyone wants a "low lore" world I am totally fine with it, so if it is for me please don't make anything beyond what you feel comfortable @Bhoop or what would be fun for the group.

I'm fine with more lore.  Don't feel like you need to go along with what everyone else says, you can have your own voice on matters like this.  You're as much a part of this as anyone else.  Goes for this, and especially goes for decisions within the campaign.

5 hours ago, Silafante said:

PS: A monk, a bard and warlock, if we have to open something using our strengh we are kinda screwed :lol:.

Hey, you don't know if Azure's monk will roll ridiculously well and have a "dump stat" of 15.

@Azure in a Roundabout I shall hereby bless your d20's or whatever you'll be using to roll ability scores ヽRGaYS2c.pngノ 

2 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@DarthR0xas is interested in joining, though.

Well, then I guess that's four.

Also, I’ll try to make a character sheet for my dragonboi soon.

Git that boi good and dragony.

We starting at Lv 1?

I'd prefer to do so.

Edited by Ertrick36

11 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'm fine with more lore.  Don't feel like you need to go along with what everyone else says, you can have your own voice on matters like this.  You're as much a part of this as anyone else.  Goes for this, and especially goes for decisions within the campaign.

I know, but I don't want to screw people people for only me.

You know utilitarian thought "greatest well-being of the greatest number of people" and all that jazz.

So here’s what I have for my character so far:

Name: Nabal Alaerth (would mean “lucky lightning” according to this: https://dragon-isle.obsidianportal.com/wikis/draconic-name-dictionary)

Race: Silver Dragonborn

Alignment: Neutral Good

Class: Monk (soon to be a Kensei monk)

Other things to do with class:

• Uses Artisan’s tools
  • Added proficiency in History and Athletics
  • Starts with spear, explorer’s pack, and 10 darts

Background: Acolyte (Gains all equipment from that background)

• On top of knowing Common and Draconic, Nabal knows Elvish and Halfling.
  • Added proficiency in Insight and Religion from being an acolyte

*This is why I asked about which setting we are going to use. I need to choose a god for my boi.

Stats (used point-buy system):

Str: 9 (11 w/ racial bonus)

Dex: 15

Con: 13

Int: 10

Wis: 14

Cha: 11 (12 w/ racial bonus)

36 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

So here’s what I have for my character so far:

Name: Nabal Alaerth (would mean “lucky lightning” according to this: https://dragon-isle.obsidianportal.com/wikis/draconic-name-dictionary)

Race: Silver Dragonborn

Alignment: Neutral Good

Class: Monk (soon to be a Kensei monk)

Other things to do with class:

• Uses Artisan’s tools
  • Added proficiency in History and Athletics
  • Starts with spear, explorer’s pack, and 10 darts

Background: Acolyte (Gains all equipment from that background)

• On top of knowing Common and Draconic, Nabal knows Elvish and Halfling.
  • Added proficiency in Insight and Religion from being an acolyte

*This is why I asked about which setting we are going to use. I need to choose a god for my boi.

Stats (used point-buy system):

Str: 9 (11 w/ racial bonus)

Dex: 15

Con: 13

Int: 10

Wis: 14

Cha: 11 (12 w/ racial bonus)

Bhoop told me to roll for stats, what is point buy? (I know standard array and rolling for stats it it is a variation of any of those two)