General Tabletop (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Topic

Azure the Scale Tipper

24 minutes ago, Silafante said:

Bhoop told me to roll for stats, what is point buy? (I know standard array and rolling for stats it it is a variation of any of those two)

It's sort of like standard array, except instead of fixed numbers, you have a total number of "points" (27) that you can assign to each stat.  With this system, you have a bare minimum of 8 for every stat, so you at least won't be horribly crippled with weakness like is possible with the traditional rolling methods that could give you as low of scores as 3 if you're incredibly unlucky.

It's close to the same point system that the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games use for their character creation.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's neat. Thanks for telling me (both of you).

I guess that if you want to make the "strongest" character possible you would pick two stats to dump and bump the others (which sounds a little boring, it lacks certain suprise, for good or bad that is up to the RNGoddess).

Hey, this seemed like fun, and since Azure offered, I guess I'm joining. Since this seems like a pretty squishy party, I'll be the brawn of the group. I'm thinking of an Elvish Fighter. The current name I'm thinking of is Glanoa Sietrovich. I'll get back to you on her character details later.

So are we rolling or doing point-by for stats? I normally just do Point-By, since it's way more balanced, but if we're rolling that's alright.

@DarthR0xas Whichever you prefer, I guess.

I suppose now we have a damage dealer, a healer, a tank, and a bard (with everything he comes with).

@Silafante Make sure you have Eldritch Blast as one of your cantrips.

24 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@DarthR0xas Whichever you prefer, I guess.

I suppose now we have a damage dealer, a healer, a tank, and a bard (with everything he comes with).

@Silafante Make sure you have Eldritch Blast as one of your cantrips.

Don't worry I already done it.

Edited by Silafante

6 minutes ago, Silafante said:

(which sounds a little boring, it lacks certain suprise, for good or bad that is up to the RNGoddess).

Kind of how I feel, tbh.  I like both the good and bad surprises the randomness of rolls brings.  It's hilarious knowing my guy has a -2 modifier to all strength-related checks and saves.  If unarmed attack damage didn't have a minimum of 1, I'd be healing people with my punches, negating the need to perform medical checks or spend valuable resources to stabilize unconscious characters.

1 minute ago, DarthR0xas said:

Hey, this seemed like fun, and since Azure offered, I guess I'm joining. Since this seems like a pretty squishy party, I'll be the brawn of the group. I'm thinking of an Elvish Fighter. The current name I'm thinking of is Glanoa Sietrovich. I'll get back to you on her character details later.

Neato.  I almost wanted to see us scrawny necks all struggle to push a cat-sized box around, but I'll welcome a greater chance of us not getting an early party wipe.

3 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

So are we rolling or doing point-by for stats? I normally just do Point-By, since it's way more balanced, but if we're rolling that's alright.

Seems like a free for all, tbh.  Silafante and I rolled, but Azure did point-by.

Also, I read that story you told about the kobold-skin hat salesmen in the interview thread.  It gave me a chuckle.

2 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Bards are kind of versatile, but in combat they're usually support magic casters.  Also can be healers.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Kind of how I feel, tbh.  I like both the good and bad surprises the randomness of rolls brings.  It's hilarious knowing my guy has a -2 modifier to all strength-related checks and saves.  If unarmed attack damage didn't have a minimum of 1, I'd be healing people with my punches, negating the need to perform medical checks or spend valuable resources to stabilize unconscious characters.

Neato.  I almost wanted to see us scrawny necks all struggle to push a cat-sized box around, but I'll welcome a greater chance of us not getting an early party wipe.

Seems like a free for all, tbh.  Silafante and I rolled, but Azure did point-by.

Also, I read that story you told about the kobold-skin hat salesmen in the interview thread.  It gave me a chuckle.

Bards are kind of versatile, but in combat they're usually support magic casters.  Also can be healers.

We could say that they are jacks of all trades...

Healing wise I'll do my best (but at level one everyone is a little low in mojo).

14 minutes ago, Silafante said:

Healing wise I'll do my best (but at level one everyone is a little low in mojo).

Low in mojo, sure, but most characters also don't have all that much HP at level one.  If you healed my bard for 4 HP, that's literally half his max HP at level one.

Granted, bards aren't known for their high HP, but my point is that every little bit helps.

Edited by Ertrick36

15 hours ago, Silafante said:

I was more trying to say that I am scared of being to conservative with my heals and don't helping the team.

Everyone trying a spellcaster for the first time has this dilemma, it's just a matter of figuring it out from experience.

And remember that even without any of your level one spells, you will still have Eldritch Blast, so you'll never be a lame duck in combat unless you're in some way disabled.  In terms of healing, you also have a +3 to medicine, whatever healing concoctions the team has, and my bard as yet another healer.  Basically, you're not lacking for medical contingencies in the event that you expend your spell slots.  And also remember that your spell slots will all refresh after a long rest, and that you'll gain more slots as you gain levels.

Plus, Warlocks have Eldritch Invocations, which are quite helpful in alleviating concerns with spell slot usage should you choose to allocate them thusly.

Edited by Ertrick36

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Everyone trying a spellcaster for the first time has this dilemma, it's just a matter of figuring it out from experience.

And remember that even without any of your level one spells, you will still have Eldritch Blast, so you'll never be a lame duck in combat unless you're in some way disabled.  In terms of healing, you also have a +3 to medicine, a +5 to Survival (to look for herbs and other such materials for crafting healing concoctions), whatever healing concoctions the team has, and my bard as yet another healer.  Basically, you're not lacking for medical contingencies in the event that you expend your spell slots.  And also remember that your spell slots will all refresh after a long rest, and that you'll gain more slots as you gain levels.

Plus, Warlocks have Eldritch Invocations, which are quite helpful in alleviating concerns with spell slot usage should you choose to allocate them thusly.

Warlocks regain spell slots with short rests if I remember correctly.

Edited by Silafante

1 hour ago, Silafante said:

Warlocks regain spell slots with short rest if I remember correctly.

Yeah, that's right.  I double-checked the Warlock section (on Page 107, specifically), and it says this under the spell slots section for them:

You regain all expended Pact Magic spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.

So you can just screw about for an hour after a rough fight (assuming no marching/encounters transpire immediately afterwards) and be able to cast all your spells again.

Just another reason Warlocks are easy to get into.

So yeah, don't fret too much about it.

8 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@Ertrick36 So, what Bard College do you plan on doing, considering that leveling up to 3rd level grants you that?

I think I’ll decide that when I hit level 3, tbh.

Same goes for anything else I gain from leveling.  Although I definitely think I’ll want to even out some of my odd-numbered ability scores when I get the chance.  At least for the ones that matter the most.

15 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think I’ll decide that when I hit level 3, tbh.

Same goes for anything else I gain from leveling.  Although I definitely think I’ll want to even out some of my odd-numbered ability scores when I get the chance.  At least for the ones that matter the most.

I most likely I will pick pack of the tome with the book of shadows invocation for utility spellcasting, and doing more for the team, so if you feel the need to cover that don't worry I'll take care of it.

1 hour ago, Silafante said:

I most likely I will pick pack of the tome with the book of shadows invocation for utility spellcasting, and doing more for the team, so if you feel the need to cover that don't worry I'll take care of it.

A Bard's MO as a spellcaster is literally utility spells, so I'm gonna be going for them regardless.

Also, a forewarning, but I'm not exactly solidified on doing the Bard thing.  Might opt for a different character, likely a Rogue or Ranger.  Either way, they're still gonna be a sout character, and they're still gonna have spindly arms because I know for sure that I want to do ranged combat.

Regardless, I'd say just focus on yourself and don't worry too terribly much what others are doing.  And if you feel like sharing, I would like to see the character sheet you have after all the edits you've made.

8 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also, a forewarning, but I'm not exactly solidified on doing the Bard thing.  Might opt for a different character, likely a Rogue or Ranger.  Either way, they're still gonna be a sout character, and they're still gonna have spindly arms because I know for sure that I want to do ranged combat.

If you want to do Ranger, there is a revised Unearthed Arcana Ranger. It can be accessed here: https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

It is a more useful variant of the Ranger class.

No Unearthed Arcana please, in my experience, it broke the game many times. @DarthR0xas rolling for stats would be 4d6 drop lowest, or point buy if you want. Sorry for my current absence. College is picking up and I have two essays plus two exams coming up xD

2 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

No Unearthed Arcana please, in my experience, it broke the game many times.

Duly noted.  I was mostly planning to just use the Player Handbook's Ranger anyway if I went that route.

17 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

College is picking up and I have two essays plus two exams coming up xD

Egh, sounds rough.  I'm still saving up to go to a coding boot camp, hopefully for this upcoming fall.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in all of that.

I've created the Discord @Azure in a Roundabout @Ertrick36 @Silafante @DarthR0xas But I just wanted to make a few things clear first. I am not in a good situation right now to dm immediately, but lets say... two weeks from now? I also will be doing some pre-prep first (of course) before the first session. Also, since it seems everyone has their characters down, Do you guys think a session 0 is still required?

Edit: I still have to learn about using roll20, but don't expect a lot of great stuff from it xD

23 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

I am not in a good situation right now to dm immediately, but lets say... two weeks from now?

I mean... when you're not ready, you're not ready.  So that sounds alright.  And it gives me time to mull over my character a bit more.

24 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

Also, since it seems everyone has their characters down, Do you guys think a session 0 is still required?

I might have a few kinks to work out with my character, so I wouldn't oppose a Session 0.  Though if Azure and Silafante feel they could skip over it, I'll just work through it one-on-one with you, as it's nothing too major.

30 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

Edit: I still have to learn about using roll20, but don't expect a lot of great stuff from it xD

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine if visualization is limited in roll20.  I can do theater of the mind.  All I'd really want visualized is I guess a map of the region/country/continent/world we're traversing around, and even that can be basic.

I have a quick question for you.  Is it alright if I opt to use one of the playable races from Volo's Guide to Monsters?  Like the Tabaxi, Aasimar, or Kobolds?  I haven't made such a character, but I'm just wondering if I can.

11 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I have a quick question for you.  Is it alright if I opt to use one of the playable races from Volo's Guide to Monsters?  Like the Tabaxi, Aasimar, or Kobolds?  I haven't made such a character, but I'm just wondering if I can.

Yeah, of course, go for it. 

Speaking of stuff that is allowed. I remember someone wanted to have deities confirmed. Feel free to use deities from the Player's Handbook on page 294- 296 (Some may overlap, but don't worry, I have lore and explanation for those).

3 hours ago, Bhoop said:

But I just wanted to make a few things clear first. I am not in a good situation right now to dm immediately, but lets say... two weeks from now?

I’m with you there. I actually need to sign up for Discord and roll20 and make the character sheet. Luckily, Friday of next week is off for me, so I have plenty of time to get that stuff ready.

Also, thanks. I’ll take my pick later.