General Tabletop (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Topic

Azure the Scale Tipper

11 hours ago, Bhoop said:

Just thought of this. I know its probably a thing we've all realized, but I'd rather clarify right now. This is a party of all generally good characters right?

Yeah, mine is going to be chaotic good.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I have been working on the character sheet for my Fighter. Now I just need to finish his backstory and make a Discord and we are good.

Just tell me when you're ready with that Discord account, then I'll ring up that invite a second time (unless Roxas asks for it first).

Also, I recommend making a character portrait if you can so that you can have a token.  Either something like what Silafante has on his sheet (though I think he wants to make a different one for the token), or like the one I made:

Spoiler

zY1KNwt.png

Just some pic that shows the head and shoulders of your character.  Or if you're lazy, pull up one of the Player Handbook's illustrations.

8 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@Ertrick36 I already have an illustration ready. I will just bring it up when I get on the Discord.

Good call, that's where it should go anyway.

Curious, what kind of fighter you have?

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Good call, that's where it should go anyway.

Curious, what kind of fighter you have?

Half-Elf Fighter w/Soldier background w/ 14 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 12 Int, 14 Wis, and 14 Cha (all with boosts to Con and Wis). Used the Point Buy system.

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Half-Elf Fighter w/Soldier background w/ 14 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 12 Int, 14 Wis, and 14 Cha (all with boosts to Con and Wis). Used the Point Buy system.

I meant more in regards to what kind of fighting style they might employ (like, what weapon they might use), but I suppose it's enough to know that with the strength and dex scores you have you'll probably be some type of melee fighter.

And to that point about organizations, I'll have some questions which I'll ask in the Discord.

8 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I meant more in regards to what kind of fighting style they might employ (like, what weapon they might use), but I suppose it's enough to know that with the strength and dex scores you have you'll probably be some type of melee fighter.

I picked the Defense style (+1 AC if character has armor or a shield) and I feel he will be wielding a longsword and shield most of the time.

Plan on having Champion as my Martial Archetype once I reach Lv 3.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:58 AM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I picked the Defense style (+1 AC if character has armor or a shield) and I feel he will be wielding a longsword and shield most of the time.

Plan on having Champion as my Martial Archetype once I reach Lv 3.

Cool beans, sounds like a plan.  Another cool archetype for fighters is the samurai archetype (in Xanathar's Guide), which gives you the very useful "Fighting Spirit" ability.

I'll decide my archetype when I reach that point.  There are a few that sound good.

So, the Mines of Phandelver stuff was done over. We started with 4 Dragonborn. My Dragonborn Monk, the same Dragonborn Wizard and Fighter from before, and a new Dragonborn Fighter.

We are thankfully getting a Druid, and I am confident that it is not a Dragonborn.

Aside from that, I did put out a Bonfire from the Wizard with my Cold Breath to finish a battle with two Goblins. The old DF could even get his Javelin back.

@Azure in a Roundabout I pmed you the world's backstory. Does the main villain fit your "nations with esteemed military that may be corrupt"? IF not, I'll let you know later, currently finishing an essay. By the end of next week, I should have a lot of stuff solidified. ( I apologize this is taking a while, I want this to be a good campaign while trying to not fail college)

Also, while we are on the topic of "when" Do weekends work best for everyone?

Edited by Bhoop

10 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

( I apologize this is taking a while, I want this to be a good campaign while trying to not fail college)

Dude, don't apologize at all.  Stuff's important, I'm sure everybody understands, and it does no one any good if you rush the campaign's prep.

12 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

Weekends work well for me.  The only potential conflict would be at 4-5 PM Mountain Time (6-7 PM EST, 3-4 PM Pacific Time, 11 PM - 12 AM UTC) on Sundays.

22 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

@Azure in a Roundabout I pmed you the world's backstory. Does the main villain fit your "nations with esteemed military that may be corrupt"? IF not, I'll let you know later, currently finishing an essay. By the end of next week, I should have a lot of stuff solidified. ( I apologize this is taking a while, I want this to be a good campaign while trying to not fail college)

Yeah, it works. Saturdays are best.

Since no one's active on the Discord right now (probably will pick up a bit as soon as everyone hops on), I have several questions for Bhoop which I'll put in the spoiler below to save on space.  There are quite a few I have.

Spoiler

What city/town are we starting in?  What's it called?

Can the starting location be the hometown of any of our characters?

What is this city like?  What is it best known for, what is the general makeup of the populace (races and class divide), what's the political landscape like (if it's a big city, that is), and what type of landscape is it built in (mountains, tundra, plains, desert, coast, etc.)?

To what extent is magic known throughout the continent?  I know you said you don't make it very common and that magic items exist.  Is magic regulated by higher powers (like an order of magistrates governing it or the Overlord himself put the hammer down and said "burn all the witches!")?  Are there maybe small pockets of folks (researchers and the like) who are aware it exists and are attempting to uncover its mysteries/acquire the power to use it themselves?

In the city we're in, what kind of criminal presence exists?  Is there like a mob, mafia, thieves guild, or other such criminal organization?  If there is, are they charitable to the poor, sick, orphaned, and needy?  Do they have ties to any orphanages (like, as a front for a business, an "official" job for one of their members, a place they regularly donate to, or a place to funnel in new recruits among the street urchins)?  And how does one join it if it's in any way open to newcomers?

What are the general views of some of the races that are typically looked down upon (such as the Tieflings, Orcs, Half-Orcs, and more monstrous races)?  And what of those of the intelligent underdark denizens (like the Duergar and Drow)?  And to press further on that, what are those underdark denizens like?  Are they as EVIL as they usually are, or are there redeeming factors to them?  When I ask all these questions, they specifically pertain to the continent or the city we start in.  I figure that because you said all the gods exist, kobolds probably won't like me much, as they pretty much attribute gnomes to killing their god.

If it's any factor to how these questions may be answered, my Int is an 18, my Wis is a 13, I have proficiency in knowledge Arcana and Investigation (both of which have +6 modifiers), rock gnomes have double proficiency bonus to any history checks that have to do with magic items or technological inventions, and my character has something akin to a criminal background (has the "criminal contact" feature, at least).  So I'd say my passives would be 16 for Arcana and Investigation, 14 for any other Intelligence-based abilities, and 11 for all Wisdom-based abilities.

Lastly, if I want to ask something to you or work on some character stuff privately with you, Bhoop, would it be better if I PM'd you over SF or Discord?

@Azure in a Roundabout Do you need any help setting up your Discord?

Since this is a general tabletop thread, I feel it's appropriate to mention that the video game based on the tabletop game Vampire: The Masquerade is finally getting a sequel.  To those who never played it, the first game - Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines - was essentially a modern-day vampire RPG that focused on social interactions, faction warfare, and a wealth of vampire abilities.  Though it was released about fifteen years ago - in fact, it was one of the first games to use Valve's Source engine - and it shows both in graphics and stability.  Not only that, but it had a lot of cut content.  Such issues can be fixed with mods, but this sequel may make the franchise more accessible and may even generate interest for yet another TTRPG if it goes well.

On that note, what other TTRPG's besides Pathfinder and D&D have any of you guys played or been interested in?  And what video games based on TTRPG's have you guys played?

23 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Not really sure, honestly. Are there any modern day tabletops?

Closest that I can really think of are Shadowrun and Starfinder, but those are more futuristic sci-fi (I’d say Shadowrun is closer to modern day, but Starfinder’s rules are more like Pathfinder).

I’ll say that I believe there’s also an actual FE-based tabletop game, though I don’t know what it’s actually like.  And there’s a post-apocalypse TTRPG, but its name escapes me right now.

Technically with all the established rules, maybe some extra supplemental material, and a lot of homebrewing, you could make a modern day adventure using D&D 5e’s rules as the base.  I mean, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic literally uses a modification of 4e’s rules (EDIT: and if I’m not mistaken, Starfinder is just a sci-fi version of Pathfinder), so I’m sure you could work something out.

Edited by Ertrick36

On 3/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, Ertrick36 said:

I’ll say that I believe there’s also an actual FE-based tabletop game, though I don’t know what it’s actually like.

Now that is something I didn't know anything about.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Not really sure, honestly. Are there any modern day tabletops?

I did play a Call of Chtulhu game with a lot of conflict for that session, we needed to break up a slavery ring because reaons (it was the climax of a 3/4 year campaign) and it was the finale, so even have non cultist magic (so no loss in sanity) that allow us to heal.

The DM put a "dungeon" and said, "you can move 5 squares if you are with 4Hp or less you can move 2".

My point is to say that even games that don't encourage fighting if you make a couple of houserules you can do everything.

PS: I think there is a Dresden files tabletop rpg which uses the Fate system.

Edited by Silafante