Things to know for a Lunatic Playthrough of Birthright?

ZeManaphy

I've decided to playthrough Birthright on Lunatic Mode for preparation of lunatic mode of future titles, specifically three houses assuming it has Lunatic Mode. Of course, this is my first time playing on lunatic, so I was wondering is there anything I should know. 

Lunatic mode on Birthright is possibly the easiest form of Lunatic mode, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  It's much, much fairer than Lunatic mode on Awakening, as you aren't forced to use, like, one or two units for most of the beginning just to survive.

I will say that the price for setting up skirmishes is higher than before, and of course all the enemies will be tougher.  Not only that, but you'll encounter quite a few more enemies than on lower difficulties, and some of them will have more skills than before (that mostly occurs in Conquest, but sometimes applies to Birthright enemies as well).  I think the price of purchasable items might cost more as well, though I don't recall.  And of course the enemies will also have higher stats.

And I'll say that unless you have a grasp on what you're doing, don't do too much reclassing.  I mean, it should be safe to do something like reclassing Ryoma to a Master of Arms or your avatar to their talent class, but I wouldn't, say, change Kagero into a Diviner or Reina into an Onmoyoji.  And reclassing any unit that has at least a C-rank in one weapon type into a different class that doesn't use that weapon type (e.g. Oboro changing to Apothecary) generally isn't a good idea unless you intend to give them a highly forged weapon or Arms Scroll, because having to use regular bronze weapons on, like, Chapter 15 is not fun.  Only instance I'd say it's okay is if you're classing someone to Ninja/Maid/Butler, as hidden weapons are pretty good even at low ranks.

The one early chapter I consider somewhat challenging is the Izumo one. Breaking out of the starting room without someone dying has for me meant Javelin + someone durable, Silas or Spear Fighter Hinoka, paired to Rinkah for the Def boost. Once they've picked off the ranged foes after say two turns, you can breakout and the rest of the map is easy.

Kotaro's punji playground is annoying of course, playing it cautiously here is never bad, but of course Takumi comes to kill the Ninjas just in time.

By the end of the game, three chapters stand out in my mind. Shura's, Camilla's alleyways of kabooms, and Iago's tour of Castle Nohr. The enemies spike in strength here, and the battlefields can get hairy, rather than strategy, those Nohrian ironeaters will try to destroy you with sheer numbers.

Iago's might be the worst, since every turn for a loonnngggg while you're looking at 3 strong enemies coming in from one side of the map every turn. Plus whatever is there to start and the things that crawl from up north. In the past, I've had SpM Hinoka + Rinkah on an all-girls' run tank the left, or permitting males, Ryoma dodgetanks that side. Everyone else goes off and kills the things on the right side.

Hans up high I'd also say is another battle royale of ruin, but only if you choose to fight it out. If you opt to fly and assassin Hans, none that difficult giving his abyssal Def and Res, the battle is cake. You can do that and still field a few units to reap the couple of drops the enemies have, you should have just enough time to get them and then kill Hans before the hordes can overwhelm your troops.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably too late now, but I've had great luck using a Dark Knight [MUST pick Mage talent for Corrin/your Avatar at the time of character creation if you want to do this].    Its served me well in Birthright Lunatic; with the right build and pair-ups it becomes ridiculously tanky, even in no-grind situations.   

Yeah, probably too late but Birthright Lunatic is easier than Conquest Hard. I'm about to do Cheve and so far there hasn't been much of a challenge. And next chapter brings the 2 best pre-promotes in the game which makes the rest a cakewalk.

I'm actually disappointed. I was hoping for more of a challenge.

21 hours ago, Johnnie said:

Yeah, probably too late but Birthright Lunatic is easier than Conquest Hard. I'm about to do Cheve and so far there hasn't been much of a challenge. And next chapter brings the 2 best pre-promotes in the game which makes the rest a cakewalk.

I'm actually disappointed. I was hoping for more of a challenge.

IMO a few of the maps in Windmire itself (see Interdimensional Observer's comments) are significantly harder than anything in early Birthright, so you can't go to sleep despite the infusion of power you just got. The midgame is weirdly easy though.

I'm looking forward to a bit more of a challenge. Even on Lunatic, Camilla in Chapter 13 was a joke for Master Ninja Kaze.

I will say several units that barely see use are putting up a strong showing. Subaki was my MVP for the early game, only now hitting the bench in favor of Scarlet. Caeldori is the only child I've recruited and she is extremely solid; more speed, strength and resistance than her father. I'm tempted to use a Heart Seal on Hinoka since I have 3 other strong fliers right now, or bench her like I did Sakura.

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

Subaki was my MVP for the early game

Now that's something I never thought I'd see someone post. How come?

Edited by Shadow Mir

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Now that's something I never thought I'd see someone post. How come?

He simply put in solid work since join. Right now he's level 15 with more health than Silas and with equal speed. He's only 2 points behind in strength and defense as well. It helps that I kept Hana glued to him until they married, but he's not completely unusable.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:29 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

The one early chapter I consider somewhat challenging is the Izumo one. Breaking out of the starting room without someone dying has for me meant Javelin + someone durable, Silas or Spear Fighter Hinoka, paired to Rinkah for the Def boost. Once they've picked off the ranged foes after say two turns, you can breakout and the rest of the map is easy.

Kotaro's punji playground is annoying of course, playing it cautiously here is never bad, but of course Takumi comes to kill the Ninjas just in time.

By the end of the game, three chapters stand out in my mind. Shura's, Camilla's alleyways of kabooms, and Iago's tour of Castle Nohr. The enemies spike in strength here, and the battlefields can get hairy, rather than strategy, those Nohrian ironeaters will try to destroy you with sheer numbers.

Iago's might be the worst, since every turn for a loonnngggg while you're looking at 3 strong enemies coming in from one side of the map every turn. Plus whatever is there to start and the things that crawl from up north. In the past, I've had SpM Hinoka + Rinkah on an all-girls' run tank the left, or permitting males, Ryoma dodgetanks that side. Everyone else goes off and kills the things on the right side.

Hans up high I'd also say is another battle royale of ruin, but only if you choose to fight it out. If you opt to fly and assassin Hans, none that difficult giving his abyssal Def and Res, the battle is cake. You can do that and still field a few units to reap the couple of drops the enemies have, you should have just enough time to get them and then kill Hans before the hordes can overwhelm your troops.

Your right. I made Hinoka a Spear Fighter and she's been my tank for the majority of my playthrough so far. 

On 1/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, astrophys said:

Probably too late now, but I've had great luck using a Dark Knight [MUST pick Mage talent for Corrin/your Avatar at the time of character creation if you want to do this].    Its served me well in Birthright Lunatic; with the right build and pair-ups it becomes ridiculously tanky, even in no-grind situations.   

I went with Samurai because I plan to marry Scarlet and want to provide Astra and Life and Death for her.

I've definitely had Subaki be one of my strongest units in early Revelation (granted, the wind map being what it is obviously helps), so it doesn't surprise me it can happen in Birthright too. Really his problem is that his growths (particularly speed) let him down, but earlygame flight + solid stats + Perfectionist + Darting Blow is a nice package.

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I've definitely had Subaki be one of my strongest units in early Revelation (granted, the wind map being what it is obviously helps), so it doesn't surprise me it can happen in Birthright too. Really his problem is that his growths (particularly speed) let him down, but earlygame flight + solid stats + Perfectionist + Darting Blow is a nice package.

Well, I could understand him standing out in Revelation for a while to some extent (which could depend on how quick you are to marry units off), but he has no such luck in Birthright when Hinoka joins the chapter right after you get him and renders him virtually obsolete. I don't really see Perfectionist as much of a factor, because his being slow means he's liable to take a hit, at which point he can kiss the boost it gives him goodbye, so I fail to see why you think it's worth bringing up.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Obviously Hinoka is usually better (every elder royal is some shade of OP), and you've hit on why he stands out more to me in Revelation; you don't get another flier on that route until the end of Chapter 12.

Perfectionist is solid though. Of course he's gonna take hits and lose the effect, but he has it for his first combat, as well as the first combat after any time you heal him back to full, and any combat after he successfully dodges or doesn't face a counter (unless he gains HP from levelling, sadly). +15 hit/avo is nothing to sneeze at. It's an above average personal skill IMO.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Obviously Hinoka is usually better (every elder royal is some shade of OP), and you've hit on why he stands out more to me in Revelation; you don't get another flier on that route until the end of Chapter 12.

Perfectionist is solid though. Of course he's gonna take hits and lose the effect, but he has it for his first combat, as well as the first combat after any time you heal him back to full, and any combat after he successfully dodges or doesn't face a counter (unless he gains HP from levelling, sadly). +15 hit/avo is nothing to sneeze at. It's an above average personal skill IMO.

Bold: That would be chapter 11, where Reina joins up. Though to be fair, that's still better than having a unit who outclasses you in just about every conceivable way join only one chaoter later.

The rest: I cannot see Perfectionist as solid - just how often is he going to be benefiting from it over the course of a single chapter??? Most likely for a minority of the fights he gets into. I mean, sure, +15 hit/avoid is nothing to sneeze at, but the full HP requirement dooms it to being useless more often than not.

41 minutes ago, joshcja said:

What if, we could in some crazy world, use multiple birds?

That's unpossible!

But yeah, I've been running 4 birds for a while and now I have Scarlet as well. I've been sick so I haven't touched it much, but it's a toss up between Silas and Subaki right now. Silas can fish out more damage while Subaki is a flying machine who never misses.

Reina and Scarlet outclass every flyer though.

• 2 weeks later...

I will note that (except in Avatar pairings) Reina offers no additional long-term potential unlike that which could be gained from using marriageable characters instead for gaining new characters and perhaps more pertinently for these considerations, extra paralogues (free EXP for your main team), and in a few cases also special weapons from the 2nd gens [most don't have anything special, coming with Irons, but a few do, such as Subaki's kid Caeldori coming with a free Swordcatcher for use on your team).  

I think the only decent weapon you get from any of the Paralogue is the Swordbreaker.

Reina is the best bird in the game and the best bow-bird. Hinoka might catch up in speed but none of them will reach her strength for a long time, if ever. I doubt it's reasonable to unlock all of the children without grinding so that's not a compelling reason to bench her in my mind. And since I did recruit Caeldori I might as well let Reina see use.