Best Talent Class + Boon and Bane reccomendations for new BR file?

hatsumi

I was considering running either a Dark mage, master ninja, mechanist, paladin, archer, cavalier, dread fighter or one of the knight(?) classes. I really have no idea; first file was a priestess with magic boon and luck or skill bane, it was decent as a support. 
For ref; female Corrin here!

I may not be the smartest person on Earth, but considering all of the opposing enemy classes that appear in this game, you will want something that is respectably bulky in terms of physical bulk, as you can get punished by beserkers, wyvern lords, heroes, anything with decent enough str, as most BR characters have low defense. While the knight class may seem useful in this regard, the low movement can prove a major nuisance and the low res may prove hurtful against magic enemies, especially since 1-2 range weapons for the most part suck in this game. Ninjas are indeed useful as shurikens and ninjas overall are really good, although Mechanist are not as useful as Master Ninjas as Golembane is only useful for very few chapters, and Replicate can be tricky as you need to watch out for both replica and normal unit. Cavalier is awesome as two weapon types are great and you also have high movement, it's two promotions are also good for this game, GK is bulky and gains access to axes, Paladins have 8 mov, balanced overall, and is the only classes to get two A ranks in weapons, the class tree is also considerably useful as you only get one cavalier besides Silas, not counting reclassing btw. I'm no expert on DFs though so I can't really answer that one. DM is nice with it's variety to spells, nice skills upon promotion, but it's not that bulky among the classes in the game, Dark Knight is nice considering your can use spells like Calamity Gate, Snake Spirit, etc. along with the ability to use the Yato for battle purposes. Sorcerer has S rank max tome rank and vengeance, but it's not that bulky. Archer, while it isn't THAT terrible in this game, it has no reliable 1-2 weapon, and has no useful skills, and without DLC, Point Blank is a no go. Snipers do have nice crit rates, but Kinshis are better as they get +2 movement and they get lances, and KKs overall are just disgustingly good in this game. Boons and Banes considered, you don't want low hp, defense, and speed. Honestly, best setup you could ask for is something like a boon is speed, str/mag, or defense, and bane as res, opposite of primary offensive stat, and luck. 

I'd recommend a Nohrian class just to offset the abundance of Hoshidan units.

Given the lack of good mages in this game, I'd say you should roll with a dark mage with a defense boon and a strength/resistance bane.  That will likely give you somewhat similar growths to Hayato, except without the awful level 1 start at, like, Chapter 9, and you will very likely be fairly tanky.  Strength bane will only make the prologue slightly more difficult, but in the end you don't sacrifice any stats that would be useful for a mage.  Resistance bane is slightly offset by the defense boon, but you'll still be a little vulnerable to mages; the appeal of this is to preserve the physical tankiness and to allow you to go hybrid if you wanted to turn your unit into a dark knight (though dark knight is a good class even with a strength bane).

You don't get very many useful tanks in Birthright - they pretty much consist of Silas, Oboro, possibly Mozu if you grind her (and particularly if she's reclassed either to spear fighter, merchant, or master of arms), Saizo, Scarlet, and the royals.  And there's only one possible useful tank mage - your avatar.  Orochi is feeble and slow, Rhajat can't hit the broad side of a barn, Hayato starts with way too low a level, and any other potential mages are better off as hybrid fighters or healers with physical weapons (or in the case of Jakob, an outright non-magic class).  And it's a shame because so many enemies in Birthright have low resistance.

That being said, I'd bear in mind that the non-Kana child (if you marry a father that has his own child) won't really be affected at all by the talent class you select, and also won't be heavily impacted by your avatar's boon and bane, at least if you select the boons/banes I recommended.  Though some possible spouses could potentially benefit from the dark mage class line, including Saizo, Hayato, Izana, Dwyer, Asugi, and Rhajat.  But that's only if you want to get really crazy with reclassing shenanigans and don't care too terribly much about the content of supports (unless you like the idea of your avatar getting with any of those characters).

9 hours ago, Giant Horseman said:

I may not be the smartest person on Earth, but considering all of the opposing enemy classes that appear in this game, you will want something that is respectably bulky in terms of physical bulk, as you can get punished by beserkers, wyvern lords, heroes, anything with decent enough str, as most BR characters have low defense. While the knight class may seem useful in this regard, the low movement can prove a major nuisance and the low res may prove hurtful against magic enemies, especially since 1-2 range weapons for the most part suck in this game. Ninjas are indeed useful as shurikens and ninjas overall are really good, although Mechanist are not as useful as Master Ninjas as Golembane is only useful for very few chapters, and Replicate can be tricky as you need to watch out for both replica and normal unit. Cavalier is awesome as two weapon types are great and you also have high movement, it's two promotions are also good for this game, GK is bulky and gains access to axes, Paladins have 8 mov, balanced overall, and is the only classes to get two A ranks in weapons, the class tree is also considerably useful as you only get one cavalier besides Silas, not counting reclassing btw. I'm no expert on DFs though so I can't really answer that one. DM is nice with it's variety to spells, nice skills upon promotion, but it's not that bulky among the classes in the game, Dark Knight is nice considering your can use spells like Calamity Gate, Snake Spirit, etc. along with the ability to use the Yato for battle purposes. Sorcerer has S rank max tome rank and vengeance, but it's not that bulky. Archer, while it isn't THAT terrible in this game, it has no reliable 1-2 weapon, and has no useful skills, and without DLC, Point Blank is a no go. Snipers do have nice crit rates, but Kinshis are better as they get +2 movement and they get lances, and KKs overall are just disgustingly good in this game. Boons and Banes considered, you don't want low hp, defense, and speed. Honestly, best setup you could ask for is something like a boon is speed, str/mag, or defense, and bane as res, opposite of primary offensive stat, and luck. 

This is rather detailed, and I can agree with most of this - but I don't see the need to mention Vengeance for Sorcerer, because it was nerfed to near unusability.

10 hours ago, hatsumi said:

I was considering running either a Dark mage, master ninja, mechanist, paladin, archer, cavalier, dread fighter or one of the knight(?) classes. I really have no idea; first file was a priestess with magic boon and luck or skill bane, it was decent as a support. 
For ref; female Corrin here!

Who do you plan on marrying? Because that might help in determining a good talent.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree with the recommendation of Dark Mage (for Dark Knight), but I can't endorse a STR or RES bane.   Take a LCK (Unlucky) Bane instead.  It better preserves your overall tank abilities [as this is a key selling point of the class] and doesn't impact your damage output as substantially as a STR bane would.  

ADDENDUM:  I would take +MAG/-LCK (Clever & Unlucky).  

Edited by astrophys
Added extra advice