What culture is Nohr based on?

Hanes

Hoshido is very clearly based after Japan but the Nohrians? Europeans could be the easy answer but they don't look that much European and I've even heard they're Persian so which is it?

Hoshido is very clearly based after Japan but the Nohrians? Europeans could be the easy answer but they don't look that much European and I've even heard they're Persian so which is it?

It mostly appears to take inspiration from Europe during the Middle Ages, based on the architecture of Nohr's buildings. Incest between royalty (not technically incest in Corrin's case, but you get the picture) was also pretty common during these times, and Corrin can marry his or her Nohrian siblings with little issue. Corrin can marry her siblings in Birthright (which is conveniently excused), and I have no idea how tolerant Japan was of incest between royalty during that time frame, so whether that was pulled from the Middle Ages specifically or if it's just a part of both Nohr and Hoshido's fictional culture isn't something I can determine with 100% certainty.

1 hour ago, Giant Horseman said:

It's based on the roman empire which was in Italy.

Image result for roman soldier 
That doesn't look anything like the Nohrians at all.

EDIT: Ok the first guy has some similarities to Xander's armor.

51 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Maybe some German or Norse in there as well.

Image result for historically accurate viking soldier
Don't see it.

42 minutes ago, ConquestVeteran said:

It mostly appears to take inspiration from Europe during the Middle Ages, based on the architecture of Nohr's buildings.

Maybe from France and something else? Considering Chevois exists? 

Edited by Critical Sniper

The music and outfits seem kind of Celtic to me.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

Image result for roman soldier 
That doesn't look anything like the Nohrians at all.

They might be referring to the Holy Roman Empire, which is quite different.

Folks in the Holy Roman Empire looked more like this:

qD9gWvK.png

Or a lot of them would wear quilted gambesons sort of like the ones you see the mercs and heroes of Nohr (like Severa and Laslow) wearing.

Then again, the Holy Roman Empire was based out of what is now Germany - I mean, it spanned all across Europe back in the 1400's, but it eventually shrunk into Germany.

Still, I'd say Nohr more closely resembles the Holy Roman Empire than it does Imperial Rome.  Except Nohr's got a lot more black and purple in their national palette, and bandits never wore bondage gear in real life.

. . .no can zap, it's a weird bug when two topics are "made" at the same time and merged.  I can try digging into it, but it's a horrifically messy process.

If the Nohrian Lancers are representative, their uniform is quite similar to that of the iconic Spanish conquistadors from the 16th century, with the morion helmets and all.
The attire of the Trobairitz also seem from that time.

I just remembered something else. I have (only) played Conquest in German and Spanish, and in the B-support conversation between Odin and Camilla, when he names her armour, he mentions that the name is expressed "in the old language of our land" (in der alten Sprache unseres Landes.) The name of the armour, "Swaläups Mena" (lit. great, magnificent Moon), is Gothic. [1]
The Goths occupied great part of Europe at different periods during the first centuries A.D.

Most likely by chance, but it was a nice touch that the Gothic name of the armour was kept in the Spanish version of the game. After all, the Goths ruled Iberia for over two centuries in the Early Middle Ages.

[1] https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_glossary.html

Edited by starburst
Clarity

13 hours ago, astrophys said:

In the English localization, its named "Grossartig Mond", in contrast, which is German for "great moon"

I have never played the game in English, but I noticed it when I was looking information for my last message. 

Too bad that the reference to an old language is lost in the English version, for there is no way that modern German can be taken as the old version of modern English. He he. 

The translation team probably wanted to situate the game in (mainland, northern) Europe, and thought that using German words would give the player that idea (even if the words themselves were modern.)

• 3 years later...

The kingdom of Nestra (Nohr)was a mixture of French, Old London, and Muscovite (Russian) with hints of Trojan, and Corinthian Greek.

Roman/Turkish with some Caucasus is more the Archanean style.

Jugdralis are old Holy Roman empire with heavy Celtic influence.

Tellius is Levantine Mediterranean and old Venetian.

Elibes are old Slavic tribes.

Magvel is much like Tellius. Old Gaul, Saxony and Italy. With some Swiss. Think Alpine cultures mixed with the Mediterraneans.

The whole of the Askran realm is Icelandic, and Scandinavian.

Fodlan is Holy Roman Germany and Belgian with hints of Spanish and Italian.

Bushido Hoshido- Japan.

Vallite- Think Levantine and Greek.

Valentia reeks of Spain and Italy with some Eastern Bloc cultures added. Polish and Austrian, perhaps.

Ylissean, to me, is very rural American. Think a wheat field in Kansas. Or old Rhode Island and Connecticut and Massachusetts. With touches of German.

Plegia is Moroccan/Syrian Arabian, and Feroxi is Steppe cultures with some Orient.

I have included a Corinthian Greek helmet below. This is what you'll see a lot of the Nohr soldiers wearing.

Screenshot_20220429-221309.png

Edited by klimaneil52@gmail.com
more to include