Special Heroes Arrive!! Hostile Springs (Jan. 23 ~)

Coolmanio

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Those who are unhappy and buy orbs should not purchase anything during this banner's run.  I think that will send a stronger message to IS. . .assuming enough people do this

I think that's very likely.  Powecreep is a thing, but I'd rather see new characters as the powercreep (like the laguz).

That's personally what I've been doing the end of 2017. The only time I spent money on this game since then was for the Orb deal with a Black Knight copy, the Hoshidan Festival banner and the Laguz banner. 

I do feel like the laguz banner introduced somethings that might end up be frustrating to play against, but having those things tied to units I like and wanted kind of lessen the impact at the moment. The fact that I'm doing better in AR ever since I invested in my Micaiah and HF!Micaiah is also helping me feel not as hopeless as I was with this game (since I'm actually using units I like while still being able to perform decently enough.), though I fear that may fade if the next year follows in this one's trail.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

BINGO.

Those who are unhappy and buy orbs should not purchase anything during this banner's run.  I think that will send a stronger message to IS. . .assuming enough people do this (KHUX tried this, and it ended badly).

What happened?

5 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Gachas are a money-making scheme, they last as long as they make money. Increasing profits will keep the gacha alive for longer, not kill it faster.

Gachas last as long as the expected income over the course of the next month/year/whatever is enough for them justify continuing to maintain it.

This banner increases the profits for January 2019, which would be relevant to the question of "is it worthwhile to continue maintaining Heroes in January 2019?", but doesn't really do anything for it later on. That'll depend on later banners, at times when that question is more relevant.

Could a banner like this keep Heroes running a bit longer at a point when it's almost out of time? Sure. But I hope we're nowhere near that point yet.

What am I even supposed to feel about this banner?

Well, on one hand: Panic. I only have 180 orbs right now and there are three Hoshidan units on it, including my long awaited flying!Sakura!! I must get at least her somehow.. Priority will be: Sakura > Hinoka > Ryouma. But I wouldn't be too broken up if I didn't get the latter two.

On the other hand: Unease. Yeah, those outfits for the young girls were clearly designed with only the purest intentions in mind.. Which explains how I already saw some guy on tumblr of all places yelling about how erotic and hot he thinks Sakura is... Look, I won't make a big deal out of this, but it's ludicrous to believe these designs weren't made for fanservice.

And last: Annoyance. They finally make a seasonal banner with more than one Hoshidan on it and still find a way to put in Nohr. Pretty sure Oboro and/or Orochi would have worked well enough for the fanservice quota. Aside from the above point, I am okay with Elise's presence. But Camilla? Really Intsys? She's not even going to make them money this time, so what's their agenda? Trying to bait Camilla fans into spending more for AR?

Really, this is giving me all sorts of mixed emotions right now..

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

What happened?

Players were getting really mad over how much money it would take to power up medals.  So the whales planned a boycott. . .except they didn't do a good job getting the word out, and when the newest medal dropped, they all spent on it anyway.

I think organizing something similar, and sticking to it, might work.  But we forum-goers are a very small part of the budget.  Now, if enough whales joined in. . .

4 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Ok they need to stop showing all 4 units at once at the beginning of those reveal videos. Why have they started doing that?

I like to be surprised as it goes on. 

That's their new trailer style with Book 3~

Personally think it ruins the surprise, too~ Graphics look nice, though~

14 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Gachas are a money-making scheme, they last as long as they make money. Increasing profits will keep the gacha alive for longer, not kill it faster.

If a company does something that results in backlash it'll lose customers. Especially if people already have a list of things to say and backlash happens over and over. Heroes did worse in it's second year than it's first. Gachas like FGO and GBF did better year two than their first year. And 2018 for Feh could be described as FEH "selling out" a lot of the times. Clearly they were doing moves that profited them, yet they earned less than the year they were rather cool about the game. Of course most of it stems from the flaws of Heroes that have become more obvious to players over time in terms of collecting characters. There's a lot to be said, but I think I can just sum it up as characters can fulfill the same roles with little differences in stats. SI was a mistake if you ask me in terms of unit uniqueness.

Will there be people who will spend on these banners? Yes. Will people quit over time for controversial decisions IS makes? Yes. Recent examples are Vax and me. There are more people here that have quit (or just are inactive in Serenes and could still be playing) just by looking at older topics

@AlkaidIm talking about Muspell Generals with gyaru sisters, not Fire and Ice. Contrary to popular belief, the Muspell general banner was decent, not incredibly popular. It didn't do incredibly well, just decent enough

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Happy to help! I've been trying beneath a little dislike to bring some levity to this topic. A dried seabed is desolate and hard, but lift the grains up and saline air ain't so bad, some love it even.

It probably does the soul good. Gotta think positive. At least my orbs are safe for when Hrid comes back around.

Back to the banner, just did some counting and there are 77 seasonal units including TT characters. That's the entire cast of New Mystery, the largest cast in the series. Stats also actually courtesy of @Interdimensional Observer coincidentally enough. There are 11 non-seasonal, non-legendary alts if I counted correctly (not counting CYL winners). Cutting that in half could've given us full representation of an entire game, granted the two smallest in the series. It doesn't help that the themes seem to get stretched even thinner. Ideally, I'd have no alts, but personally, I'd take a million Adrift Camillas or Sacred Memories Eirikas where at least they're interesting variations on a character done in an at least semi-serious manner over "I'm wearing a towel, teehee."

I'm rather glad. I tought that recently, I had spent too much on the game. But IS makes it easy for me to become f2p. Clearly, they are taking good care of old women like me and don't tempt us. Also, I'm impressed by their creativity in finding a spring theme which asks for half naked people.

1 hour ago, SSbardock84 said:

Ugh. Fates again? Ironic that there's a topic floating around about being sick of Fates banners except . . . it's not ironic because it's truth! 

You called ;):?

4th Ryoma, 3rd Sakura, 3rd Elise, 3rd Hinoka, 7th Camilla. WTF IS? What a cheap ass f!ing banner, makes me more angry than I was after the Adrift bullshit banner. Who was the idiot who thought this could sell? Why did they even let this go through after a failure like Adrift? Why am I still playing this game? There are like 200 characters in the game who could get alts, but OF COURSE IT HAS TO BE F!ING FATES AGAIN. When I watched the video it had 2k likes and 6.5k dislikes, close to 3 hours after the trailer, this should give them the message. IS should just STOP making Fates banners right now - there are more Fates alts than OG units from some other titles, it ridiculous and a complete fail.

That's why I'm going to skip my usual unit review on this, but if you guys still want it, let me know.

I think the delay of Three Houses is playing a part of what's happening now. It takes them half a year (?) to plan these banners and I'd imagine if Three Houses was released in late 2018 like it was planned, we would at least be seeing a Three Houses banner that features the 3 lords by now.

I suspect this banner was pushed to replace a planned Three Houses banner which might explain why we're getting two seasonal banners instead of 1 seasonal and 1 New Heroes banner.

Tbh I'm not really sure why people are so upset...if I don't like a banner, I don't pull from it.  At least I can save orbs for something that I do want! Unlike that last Legendary Heroes banner where I had a 10% pity rate that was never broken :sob:

Hot Springs!Ryoma, come to mama <3

Also for Tempest Trials, I'll take that free Camilla with gratitude!

1 minute ago, zuibangde said:

I think the delay of Three Houses is playing a part of what's happening now. It takes them half a year (?) to plan these banners and I'd imagine if Three Houses was released in late 2018 like it was planned, we would at least be seeing a Three Houses banner that features the 3 lords by now.

I suspect this banner was pushed to replace a planned Three Houses banner which might explain why we're getting two seasonal banners instead of 1 seasonal and 1 New Heroes banner.

Even if it were a Three Houses banner, it's too early. Unless you mean the initial release of late 2018

Just now, redlight said:

Even if it were a Three Houses banner, it's too early. Unless you mean the initial release of late 2018

Yes, I meant the original release of Three Houses in late 2018. If there weren't any delays, I suspect Three Houses would be released before December (Smash) or even November (Pokemon). So we would've waited a few months before a TH banner which seems like an appropriate amount of time to wait. Of course, this is all speculation...

Opinions on each unit in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Guess Navarre's special refine wasn't that special after all, if we're already seeing it on Ryoma's seasonal weapon. I suppose he's supposed to look defensive... but they really picked a terrible enemy unit to show him off with in that case, because all I see is a flying Lance with somewhat decent power.

Sakura's weapon grants Quickened Pulse to the highest Atk unit. Great, give something to the Heavy Blade users of the world to play around with. Otherwise, nothing too exciting about Sakura. She's gonna be compared to Mia though, so she better shape up or ship out.

Elise... very meh in my opinion. Maybe she's gonna be amazing, but Atk Feint probably isn't the best Feint skill when, generally speaking, you'd rather the enemy be dead before it ever comes to that. And they could have at least given her a new Rally Up skill instead of reusing Atk... finally, they're reusing Dagger Valor. Wow wonderful, I'm so glad we've got all the weapon types covered in Valor skills, so that we could then continue to put them on more seasonal units. You know, because we so badly needed them to continue to be seasonal exclusive skills.

Hinoka... very clearly a call to action against Dragons, so I guess Dragons are the units IS decided needed to be nerfed, not the units who they are purposefully making overpowered and granting them an easy out towards their one and only weakness, which was never really a weakness in the first place. Otherwise she's just New Year Fjorm once again in terms of skillset, just replace Repo with DB. Air Orders I can't say I understand. It sounds like they're creating a Guidance status effect, but does it really matter if Legendary Azura exists to simply grant the flier 3 movement? Besides, it's not like it's Fliers who need the mobility boost, given all the bullshit they've thrown at Cavalry most all of the past year.

And motherfu- you know what, no. At least Camilla isn't occupying a banner slot this time. I'll give them that. But that really doesn't change the fact that they made yet another Camilla alt. The damn vixen doesn't even have a Legendary or Brave alt, and she's already at 6 separate variants of the same unit?

I do not like that there doesn't seem to be a theme to the weapon skill this time around. I mean, I guess sped up Special Cooldown could be it, but you can't just then put Speed Puissance and partial Mystic Boost on the other two weapons.

Eeehhhhh... I'm already wary of any seasonal banner that is all Fates or Awakening, especially if the units are all Royal Siblings or contain Chrom or Robin, but they completely skimped out on the TT unit this time by making her a colorless dagger, which we literally just got one last TT. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna summon, but I'm probably not gonna go full whale on this banner like I did New Years... I suppose we'll wait and see what the unit stats are, but I don't think I'd even bother trying to get an ideal nature on them this time...

8 minutes ago, mewyeon said:

Tbh I'm not really sure why people are so upset...if I don't like a banner, I don't pull from it.

Yeah unfortunately, some of us (me) are collectors. Try to understand please, I don't like knowing that I'll have to waste more money and more orbs on trying to pull for variants of units that I'm not all that impressed by. And don't even get me started on once we see the stats on them. I imagine each of them will be absurdly fast, at least average in power (except maybe Sakura), decent in one defensive stat (Def for Ryoma, probably Res for the others), and terrible in the other, with average HP to cap it off. And THEN there is Hinoka's Dagger, which has an arguably better built in effect than Cloud Maiougi when Vantage isn't that widely utilized on high-tier Dragons.

Basically, you are one in a sea of many. On an island with others this time mind you, but surrounded by hungry sharks who are sick of being fed the same grub every time, but know it's all they'll be fed lest they risk total starvation.

2 hours ago, Landmaster said:

I'm so sorry, that sucks~ I hope you can get one of them before it ends~

Thanks! I’m going to need all the well wishing I can get between breaking that rate and then trying for both little sisters.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I offer my pity. I wish I could give you my spare Nailah, she won't be doing anything with me being too indecisive. I wouldn't ask for anything in return either. Although if you really wanted to reward me, I could prep up a list of things I'd like.

I’m still sitting on a spare male Grima (or a 5* Ares if you’d prefer) that I could give you in exchange if only trading was a thing. Also, thanks!

I just went back to check. After this banner we'll have 34 Fates alts. For the record, the OG count is as high as 31 for Archanea and 30 for Awakening - doesn't this feel more than weird?

3 hours ago, silverserpent said:

Me: "Hot springs? Sounds like female fanservice. I think this is a pass."

Trailer: *shows off Ryoma's abs*

Me: "...I'm a shameless whore. Where are those other orbs to farm?"

Boyband: "You're replacing us already?!"

Me: "No, no! Err...he's, uhhh, a back up dancer?"

Yeah...need to figure out teamwork if I get him. V-day banner...please be gentle to my orbs...

LOL I FEEL YOU RIGHT NOW

Watching the storm unfold is always enjoyable :P: sorry not sorry. Times like this makes me glad for my easy going temperament, there's only one playable character in all of fe that I hate and he's not in feh. Free Camilla with a ponytail is exciting and I'm a little bummed out I don't have the orbs to try and snipe for Sakura. I do feel bad for those who are genuinely pissed at this, it shows how much they care and it sucks having to wait for your favs. In the end, all you can do is send feedback and vote with your wallets.

I'm just dropping in on this thread, and let me start with something I said over on reddit:

Yeah, this didn't even have to be an event banner, either. We could have gotten an Archanea or Valentia banner since it's been a while since we've gotten either. Or give us the Binding Blade banner right now, instead of waiting until March! Nah, at the rate we're going, we're gonna have more Camilla alts than there are episodes of Sesame Street.

And if they really wanted to make an event banner, let alone a banner like this, they should have just added characters that haven't gotten alts yet, or even better, characters that don't have their regular variations available yet. I don't know anyone else in this thread has said this, but they missed an opportunity to add Izana. IS could have just added his regular variation and make him the Tempest Trial reward because of the fact he joins you if you upgrade your hot springs to level three. As for adding other new (Fates) units, they could have added Orochi instead of Elise. But like I just said, this shouldn't have even been a banner. They should have just gave us the BB banner here and now, or give us a new Archanea or Valentia banner.