Special Heroes Arrive!! Hostile Springs (Jan. 23 ~)

Coolmanio

5 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Not to mention that Camilla fits the role of what most Japanese men like: She’s doting, caring, and willing to do chores. She’s even sexy to boot! Japanese men traditionally have stressful lives with long office hours, ( In Japan it’s considered informal by many to leave office before your boss. ) so they naturally want someone who can take care of them. Camilla fits that perfectly. And Japan is IS’s biggest priority.... Yeah, I doubt we’re getting a break from Camilla anytime soon.

I would be careful with the hasty generalizations. The main reason they probably included Camilla is that they think she sells well, not that she's the personification of Japan's "ideal wife", which is arguable.

If a character makes them a lot of money, they're going to use that character. Plain and simple. I wouldn't read too far into her inclusion.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not see a lot apathetic fans here voice their opinion, so I will volunteer to be their representative. I do not care who Intelligent Systems put into their Foci. No matter how much I like Awakening!Anna and Apotheosis!Anna, I do not care if they never add those Annas into the game. I would obviously like them to add those Annas into the game, but if they do not, then it is no big deal since I will be content with just about anyone. Hell, they can even put R2D2 from Star Wars and Jacob from Twilight into the game and I would be okay with it. Quite the opposite of some fans, I care more about a unit's stats, skills, and other game play characteristics than something superficial like appearances and names.

Well in that case, let's just replace all the characters already in the game and from now on with brightly colored rectangles. Let's see how well Heroes continues to profit.

2 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I would be careful with the hasty generalizations. The main reason they probably included Camilla is that they think she sells well, not that she's the personification of Japan's "ideal wife", which is arguable.

If a character makes them a lot of money, they're going to use that character. Plain and simple. I wouldn't read too far into her inclusion.

So if they keep selling the same thing to you in different colors over years, would you just keep buying them every time a new color comes out? What's the logic in that?

16 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Well in that case, let's just replace all the characters already in the game and from now on with brightly colored rectangles. Let's see how well Heroes continues to profit.

Profits will obviously tank, but I still want Heroes to do well. Apathetic fans needs to be heard too, although most probably do not care either way. Voicing my opinion helps reduce the echo chamber effect and gives other fans a more diverse range of views to consider and adjust their expectations accordingly. Maybe one possible reason why Intelligent Systems is so slow at adding new units is simply because apathetic fans are in the huge majority and adding so many Fates and alt characters does not really affect profits, so they might as well just cater to the biggest subsections in the fan base.

Edited by XRay

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

Profits will obviously tank, but I still want Heroes to do well. Apathetic fans needs to be heard too, although most probably do not care either way. Voicing my opinion helps reduce the echo chamber effect and gives other fans a more diverse range of views to consider and adjust their expectations accordingly. Maybe one possible reason why Intelligent Systems is so slow at adding new units is simply because apathetic fans are in the huge majority and adding so many Fates and alt characters does not really affect profits, so they might as well just cater to the biggest subsections in the fan base.

I suppose, but it also feels a bit shortsighted in a way. Heroes won't last forever. And IS will obviously have to shell out other games, whether it's future installments of FE or any of their other properties. Even if the Fates banners sell well, the discontent over the sheer amount of favoritism Fates gets compared to anything else (even Awakening at this point!) is going to burn out quite a bit of their fanbase and may lead to people just not viewing that company as favorably. There are people who are already feeling cynical about Three Houses because of the direction they seem to have gone in Heroes, and certain things that occurred in Heroes itself have led to some parts of the community feeling more cynical about IS's motives.

All I'm saying is that distrust and ill-will are hard to dismiss and will follow them into their future ventures, past Heroes. Youtube likes-to-dislikes ratios may not affect profits, true, but they may be a sign of community enthusiasm (or lack thereof) and that will not bode well for IS in the future if this trend continues.

Edited by Sunwoo

I just went back to check the YouTube Likes/Dislikes.

Out of the last 8 banners, 4 videos got more dislikes so far. 1 was Surtr, the other 3 were Fates banners.

Isn't this a clue to the company? I'm pretty sure they should understand the connection between these numbers.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

I don’t get why anyone is angry. This actually makes a lot of sense considering the Gacha market. Especially those who play Fate/GO. They should totally have seen this coming. Saberface is a thing and it gets them lot of money.

Will Camilla become Fire Emblem’s Saber?

Pretty much this. I do think most problem stems from that FEH fanbase isn't used to gacha. Honestly, I am apathetic to any commom gacha problem FEH has. I wish people would complain about other problem FEH has other gachas don't because I'm getting bored of keep saying "come on it's a problem other gachas has" 

33 minutes ago, XRay said:

Free units are always nice. I think people should hold on to HS!Camilla though, just in case she is really good for use in free guides.

I do not see a lot apathetic fans here voice their opinion, so I will volunteer to be their representative. I do not care who Intelligent Systems put into their Foci. No matter how much I like Awakening!Anna and Apotheosis!Anna, I do not care if they never add those Annas into the game. I would obviously like them to add those Annas into the game, but if they do not, then it is no big deal since I will be content with just about anyone. Hell, they can even put R2D2 from Star Wars and Jacob from Twilight into the game and I would be okay with it. Quite the opposite of some fans, I care more about a unit's stats, skills, and other game play characteristics than something superficial like appearances and names.

I kinda think because being apathetic kinda.. stepping on the land mines? btw, is that true apathetic players are the majority?. I could relate to mostly focus to the skill , stat and movement/weapon combination,  not feeling upset on whoever and whatever is released, but if someone asked if I feel happy whenever a character I lowkey like in FEH added, I will openly answer I do. 

I'm also pro-alt because alts often offers more interesting movement/weapon combination than canon classes. Like armor dragons, and dagger flier, that never existed in canon and in FEH they are canon to use, and often alts are much, much better than their base form as I don't have the patience to make my bias viable by my own. 

For example, I don't bother to pull NY Takumi despite he's my bias, but once summer takumi is a thing I waste no time to pull 11 copies of him and build him. On the other hand, I also use OG Reinhardt + Brave Lyn + 2 dancers combo a lot, but for me, unit is unit and character is character. I will use and build a strong unit in gameplay, but I  will like a character for character an writes them fanfiction and talks about how much I love them on social media. which was why I'm upset why meme characters ranked highly in CYL but Dorcas turns out to have interesting personality so he's still okay for me.

I mean, isekai fics of FE has already a thing even before FEH released, particularly cross between Awakening anf Fates, but there is one in Ao3 where Sakura trapped in Magvel and that one started before FEH even released, if you really want to see your bias in isekai setting write your own fic/draw your own art.

I agree on the part of more excited to see characters even outside FE franchise in FEH, just to see their skills and weapon/movement combination, like what would be of Kirby if they put him in FEH? will he have more interesting gameplay? i'm more interested hes in than 24235286287 swords unit we have in FE.

I like Elise, Hinoka and Sakura and I'm happy they got (non-armor) alts. Also I could get my first ever Ryoma. They all look nice, but their skills don't shout "must have". Good stuff for legendary banner side-pulls. 

I'll do the full summon and see if I can get a TT bonus unit. 

Seasonal banners are fun and the theme isn't bad. It's just sad that without new heroes banners the story won't progress and thus will remain irrelevant for another year/season. 

6 hours ago, Nanima said:

But Camilla? Really Intsys? She's not even going to make them money this time, so what's their agenda? Trying to bait Camilla fans into spending more for AR?

I think AR is a good reason for IS to bring desirable free characters (perhaps Camilla is even getting a prf dagger or exclusive skills for that reason) ... too bad the definition of that isn't the same for every player here. 

Good luck getting all of them! 

Well I don't care about the game seasonals come from most of the time, for me they are just units that can help me built better teams and have fun with. One thing to consider is that possibly adrift wasn't out yet to see reactions when they preparing the banner. About Camilla, she was in cyl two times in very good positions but not in the top 2, so they might think that giving her alts is a way to make up for the lack of a brave Camilla? What I hope is that they learn their lesson after these last banners and don't do any fates soon enough, year 2 had more than enough (especially the second half), I will complain only when near summer they do fates at such a rate.

Now the units themselves, I don't care about Elise or Hinoka, Eir and bownoka fill the flying spot way more efficiently. Sakura, as a flying support I have L! Azura which is fine, but I might pull for Sakura just cause I like experimenting with my fliers. Ryoma, originally I wouldn't need him but after all these blue pulls in the laguz banner I still have only one unrefined -spd Catria, so he will be quite nice, also most of my fliers are quite fragile so his defense (which he might have will be appreciated). Overall, this banner isn't a necessity, but I will pull in blue and colourless to get a unit (Ryoma I hope) for arena and for flying team and I will be saving after this for the Mythic banner. Also I hope Camilla is a good unit to use. But why put her as a free unit? I don't understand it.

Edited by SuperNova125

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I don’t get why anyone is angry. This actually makes a lot of sense considering the Gacha market. Especially those who play Fate/GO. They should totally have seen this coming. Saberface is a thing and it gets them lot of money.

You probably don't know what you're talking about, do you? This and Saberfaces are very different things.

------

Well, in 2 weeks there will be the 2nd anniversary. They better announce something there because they are still sitting on issues that persisted now for an entire year and apparently have no intention of fixing them.

3 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

About Camilla, she was in cyl two times in very good positions but not in the top 2, so they might think that giving her alts is a way to make up for the lack of a brave Camilla?

If only they had been so diligent in making things up to Alm fans who also had their choice only barely miss out the top 2 spot. 

I really like the daggers here. With the Red-Hot Ducks+, now Legault can have the same weapon skill as his banner-mates Karla and Flying Nino. I'm almost tempted to get the Splashy Bucket+ for my +10 Summer Linde, but the new Mythic Hero comes first. And knowing me, I'll want a Hinoka to build too, so I'd already be slipping into out-of-control whaling again.

Otherwise, lol more Fates royals, but at least Hinoka has her first seasonal alt and I'm happy for her.

19 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

You probably don't know what you're talking about, do you? This and Saberfaces are very different things.

------

Well, in 2 weeks there will be the 2nd anniversary. They better announce something there because they are still sitting on issues that persisted now for an entire year and apparently have no intention of fixing them.

Aren''t saberfaces are more about in franchise expies? Expies, not alts. It's more comparable to  in FE, for example, we can say Hinoka and Melady are Minerva-faced, or Elphin, Lucius and Reyson are all Claud-faced?

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  1. I suggest Vampire Camilla, after the vampire Carmilla.
  2. With so many alts, we should also get Solid Camilla, with some sexy facial hair, and armored via a cardboard box.
  3. Queen of Nohr Camilla, from an alternative universe where she became.
  4. Fashion Model Camilla, thank you my little nephew Forrey!
  5. A wild Giramilla approaches! Catch this Ghost Dragon FE character!
  6. Camilla Oda- the man who began the reunification of Japan during the Sengoku period if he were Camilla. So very Musou!
  7. Lorithia-Camillia for a GHB, the massive lategame headache boss from Xenoblade Chronicles returns! Counts as a Flying Armor Beast unit.
  8. Twinrova Camilla- a sorceress of fire and ice is sexy and nice.
  9. Bowser Camilla, because do you know who Bowser Jr.'s mother is? I do.
  10. Camilla of Altea- to honor the original hero of FE.
  11. 2C Camilla. You didn't know she is actually a robot from the moon, did you?
  12. Respect for the Aged Day Camilla- because Japan presently has 26% of its population over the age of 65. She is still gorgeous in old age, why it's almost like she hasn't aged a day, is she immortal?
  13. Hanami (flower festival) Camilla- for she is the dark rose of the battlefield.
  14. And lastly Return to Basics Camilla. Just her in usual outfit and as a Flier, albeit drawn by a different artist, with slightly changed stats, and she uses a Blue Tome instead.

Phew! That was harder than I thought it'd be.

Congratulation, you have passed the jobinterview for the FEH Charakter managing department. We even could see her anytime soon. If she does not appear until Halloween I don't know what to believe anymore. xD
But Vampire Camilla is just something like a must and that feels like a reason why we do not get her.

Well, overall I am still a Camilla fan. I am just still asking myself, are they not confident in Charakter like Rinkah D=. There certainly will be whales who love abs. I also want to see Effie without armor..
And Rinkah and my wishes aside. There are so many Fate Charakter which would be well received. After we got them beasts why don't they add Selkie or Kaden on such a banner. It would just have been fun to see a water hating furry on it. And Camilla is not the only one for fan service. Orochi has them too..if it must be fanservice. Sadly she was one of the most unpopular Charakters in a japanese fates character poll. Still don't get what is so bad about her, I thought her and Azama together were pretty funny. Maybe I am just missing something. 

53 minutes ago, Magus of Memery said:

------

I said Saberface, because despite being expies, these design are obviously trying to take advantage Saber’s popularity.

Plus, in Fate/GO regular Saber has lots of alts:

Regular Saber

Swimsuit Saber

Saber Lily 

Saber Alter 

Santa Saber Alter

Lancer Arthuria

Lancer Arthuria Alter

Mysterious Heroine X

Mysterous Heroine X Alter

Mysterious Heroine XX

Ultra Heroine Z

Even her alts have alts! And I’m not even counting, Proto Saber and the Saberfaces and the alts of the Saberfaces.

Because Fire Emblem Heroes is the first Gacha for many people they aren’t used to thr Saberface effect that happens in Gachas.

Edited by Water Mage

38 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Aren''t saberfaces are more about in franchise expies? Expies, not alts. It's more comparable to  in FE, for example, we can say Hinoka and Melady are Minerva-faced, or Elphin, Lucius and Reyson are all Claud-faced?

You didn't name Jeigan<->FE6!Marcus as an example. Shame on you.

Basically, yes. The Saberfaces just share the looks with Fate mascot Saber but they are completely different characters from each other. You really can't say that Nero, Mordred, Jeanne and Okita are remotely similar to her.
Not to mention this extents to her other versions. Alter, Lancer, Lily and MHX have their own personality separate from Saber (though MHX is comic relief) so they can't really be called "alts" despite sharing the name and legend. 

14 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I said Saberface, because despite being expies, these design are obviously trying to take advantage Saber’s popularity.

Regular Saber

Swimsuit Saber

Saber Lily 

Saber Alter 

Santa Saber Alter

Lancer Arthuria

Lancer Arthuria Alter

Mysterious Heroine X

Mysterious Heroine XX

Ultra Heroine Z

Even her alts have alts! And I’m not even counting, Proto Saber and the Saberfaces and the alts of the Saberfaces.

Because Fire Emblem Heroes is the first Gacha for many people they aren’t used to thr Saberface effect that happens in Gachas.

Taking advantage of design isn't the same as taking advantage of the same character. While that was certaintly the intention (said by the mushroom himself), Fate fans treat each of these characters differently. That also extends to most of her "alts" and the only true alt OG Saber has is her Summer version.
If you really think that the design alone is selling these characters, then you probably didn't do your research.
Plus UHZ isn't even playable, she is just a colorswapped version of MHX during an event.

FEH is infinitely worse by shoving the same character with only different clothes into its fanbase. There is zero substance behind this and it doesn't help that Fire Emblem as a franchise has no excuse doing this because it has more titles to cover, let alone characters.

32 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Regular Saber

Swimsuit Saber

Saber Lily 

Saber Alter 

Santa Saber Alter

Lancer Arthuria

Lancer Arthuria Alter

Mysterious Heroine X

Mysterious Heroine XX

Ultra Heroine Z

How do I explain this? First off, some of them have the same face BECAUSE it's the same artist (some artists have sameface syndrome, but at least skin tone, hairstyle, hair color, eye color are all different as well as bodytype). Plus they have different personalities, VAs and whatnot

As for Artoria alts. Are they unique from one another? Yes, at least the alts, not the alt alts. If you were to ask a person that knows nothing about Fate what does Saber, Lancer and MHX have in common then they'd just say "blondies" (or bleach). The artists have taken creative liberties with the characters to the point where it's easy to mistake them as being different characters. Camilla depiction in Heroes has the same artistic inspiration and doesn't take too many liberties to stray from the original. Just different clothing with different artists

Edited by redlight

I admit, Heroes is my first gacha. But I'd think that IS might suspect it to be the first gacha for a lot of players because FE never had one before, and so much of the fandom didn't play one. I didn't even know gachas existed until Heroes became a thing. They should've been prepared.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I admit, Heroes is my first gacha. But I'd think that IS might suspect it to be the first gacha for a lot of players because FE never had one before, and so much of the fandom didn't play one. I didn't even know gachas existed until Heroes became a thing. They should've been prepared.

They gave us the CYL polls, they are aware that the Fire Emblem Universe has a lot of characters. There are a lot of cool new characters they could add and a lot of units that people favor, but 2018 gave us more alts than they should - a bit early I'd say. We already have a 100 alts at least, and I don't think we got more than 40 original characters from old franchises in the last year. 

1 minute ago, Garlyle said:

They gave us the CYL polls, they are aware that the Fire Emblem Universe has a lot of characters. There are a lot of cool new characters they could add and a lot of units that people favor, but 2018 gave us more alts than they should - a bit early I'd say. We already have a 100 alts at least, and I don't think we got more than 40 original characters from old franchises in the last year. 

I'm aware of all that, and I agree, the alts are getting out of hand. So what's your point here?

2 hours ago, Magus of Memery said:

All that's known so far are...
The update to Merge Allies
Valentines 2019 banner
Love Abounds banner rerun
Second Anniversary Celebration (since it's in orange on the event calendar, it's pretty likely that it's going to be another bundle sale like with New Year's 2019).

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Altria is the face of the Fate series, she has been since the series started, and no one else in FGO has anywhere near the number of versions she does, with the most being Liz at 4/5. Also, as pointed out, each version of her is treated and written as a different character, or at least the same character at a different point of her life - original is her in her prime, Lily is her before she became the heroic king of Britain, Lancetoria is older and wiser her from another universe, MHX and by extension MHXX are actual jokes, and the Alters are all separate characters too; the only straight fanservice only variant of regular Altria is Summer Altria. Camilla is literally just the same character released over and over with nothing changing except the amount of clothes she wears, and she's far from being the face of the series.

That's also not getting into how most Altria variants bring something different to the table gameplay wise while Camilla is always flying and often ranged, or how Altria's alts have been spread over three years while Camilla's have been crammed into a year and a half or so span, or how "Saberfaces" are both still seperate, unique characters with their own merits while again Camilla is just the same person released over and over.

Second, this sort of alt saturation is actually pretty uncommon among gachas, especially the bigger ones. Altria is the exception rather than the rule in FGO, with most characters that do have multiple versions having 2-4 versions at most. GBF is fairly evenly spread in its alts as well, as is Dragalia. Camilla's physical counterpart, Narmaya, in GBF has all of three versions. The only gacha I know of that have comparable alt saturation are Dragon Ball Z ones.

Also I'd like to point out that a( we know Camilla isn't making them oodles of money anymore because Adrift happened and yet November was one of the lowest grossing months in the game so far according to independent reports and b( this Camilla is free so she doesn't even make them money.