Why do you still play Heroes?

Arcphoenix

IS hasn't exactly made the most popular decisions and it's caused many players to quit FEH. Some people still remain around in spite of that, myself included. What's everyone's mindsets to continue playing?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reasons for still playing:

Spoiler

For me, Heroes is a really unique thing. There's nothing else quite like it. It's free and constantly getting new content (a godsend for someone who can't exactly buy the newest games all the time).

It also has various characters from across the franchise all in one place.

This game has an insane amount of customizability. The amount of freedom this game gives means that no two teams nor strategies, let alone unit builds will necessarily be alike. I probably wouldn't still be playing this game if it weren't the variety of tools at a player's disposal. So many skill, unit, and team combinations that can be made. Likewise, there are just as many unique challenges that can be faced.

The meta is also always changing. Sure some things are frustrating, but the fun for me has always come from figuring out how to adapt to the new challenges.

FEH also has the classic turn and gridbased combat in a variety of environments. I've seen people recommend trying other gachas, but despite also being a gacha, they aren't Fire Emblem games. 

Granblue I have picked up recently. The writing in it is a lot better and I do like certain aspects of how Granblue is handled that FEH could learn from, but the two are fundamentally different games.

Because FEH is a continual experience that everyone is experiencing at the same pace, it also provides a constant source for discussion. Likely 98% of my posts from my time here are Heroes-related.

I've barely missed a log-in bonus, and I'm probably going to still be playing to the end.

I don't think anything could replace Heroes for me.

IS announcing a RD banner back in November, my love of the franchise and hope that IS might surprise me with interesting changes for the anniversary are what keep me playing currently.

But I've been considering stopping more and more in the last few months. If I'm unimpressed with whatever updates we get during and in the few months after the anniversary, I might just drop the game for good.

It's a convenient time filler to play if I have down time at work. And working out GHB/LHB/BHB clears for my flier team is really satisfying.

...that's it really. Most other modes aren't really fun and I only do them so that I can get resources to help build my flier team and some other random units.

I guess there's also some satisfaction in building a bunch of units.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It keeps me excited to play other FE games. I only really got into FE about the time Heroes released, and have since then finished 4 regular Fire Emblem games. This game shows me characters I still don't know much about, and keeps me pumped to play Tellius, Jugdral... and even Awakening and Fates to an extent. It really shows off the characters this series has to offer. 

I like to build powerful units and I like to build my favorite units. Currently got my sights set on getting merges for Valentines Lyn who is running a prohibitively expensive build (Juicy Wave + Bold Fighter). Plus, I like the idea of a crisis crossover thing.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I quit a while ago, but while I was still playing my excuse was my favorite characters and refinements for my faves getting introduced. Oh and I guess skill refinery and a story that doesn't progress by relying on new heroes banners. Writing for events was a desire as well. As you can tell these were all expectations and nothing really that made me appreciate the current state of the game

The gameplay is good enough to pass time and I like doing hard PvE content with my +10 Eirika (and her alts if the map is too hard to solo, I'm looking foward to the next Abyssal MHB and if it is too hard it'll give me an excuse to test W!Eirika).

Barring issues with the powercreep and some of the whale-baiting changes (like the AR mythic change), I'm still having a lot of fun with the game. I like doing the content that comes out, collecting units I want and improving my favorites. I guess it helps I'm in the crowd they're pandering to often, but still I'd be happy even if they spaced things out more.

There's also nothing else new to do or discuss with FE beyond FEH, and I'm not one to replay old games constantly.

The gameplay itself is fun and it's nice to build characters I like, even if more and more of the optimal skills are locked behind what's essentially a paywall. I like seeing the updated art of some of the older characters and having more freedom to build some of my favorites whom I either had for very limited time or didn't get to play as at all. And as dumb as the story is—yes, I'm including Book 3 so far—I do genuinely like the majority of the OC's designs and what few personality traits they do have. I'm also desperately hoping that they cut back on their bullshit and start releasing new characters at a rate that averages more than one a week.

It's a Fire Emblem game that I can just whip out whilst waiting for the bus, or an appointment, and not get weird looks for using a gaming console in public.

Also helps that I like Fire Emblem, hahah.

Well games fun, story seems to be picking up the pace, events are getting better, we're getting some variation in alts (though the Onsen banner isn't a great example, just ignore this one for now), arena and aether raids can be fun if taken lightly, etc.

Overall, I enjoy the game. I can see characters from all games, I can see older and or younger version of characters that I love (Yay por P!Olivia being a less shy version!), and I can see other small story details unfold further here (Grima being interestingly explained, Hector's internal dilemma being pushed forward, etc)

Good question

It's a low-effort mindless thing for me to do during my spare time before EOX comes out, and since I always have my phone on me it's more convenient than lugging around my 3DS to play games on it. There's a part of me that hopes they'll at least add the two characters I care about before the game dies, so I can stop caring about what else they add into the game forever and just enjoy my team of favorite units fighting alongside together for the only time ever.

I still do like a lot of the new characters and alts added. Plus building up units and cutsomizing them is a lot of fun. (I love my +10 Sakura) Then using them on challenge maps and making clear vids is a lot of fun. So yeah, I still mostly enjoy my time with the game, even if there are modes I despise (AR...).

Why?  Good question.  The story, nostalgia when beloved characters arrive once in a blue moon for nostalgia sake and see how they are implemented in this game.  Good art.   The altstravaganza that has been going for over a year has really worn me out though, if there was stuff like the beast banner, the genealogy banners, you know actual new characters being added and at a regular basis it would be a zillion times better.  YES a zillion.