Why do you still play Heroes?

Arcphoenix

I cannot accept the sunk cost fallacy. If I did, would have quit after I failed to summon Ninian when she was first released instead of ballooning my total spending to over $8,000 by the end of the first year.

14 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

I've seen people recommend trying other gachas, but despite also being a gacha, they aren't Fire Emblem games. 

Yeah, same here. If Heroes is not Fire Emblem Heroes, I would not even consider touching the game. Even though TearRing Saga is made by the creator of Fire Emblem, I just cannot find myself to care about that series, which is a little strange now that I think about it since the people who made Sacred Stones might not be at Intelligent Systems anymore to make Awakening.

I looked into Langrisser Mobile a bit, and while it does look pretty awesome and fun (it combines elements from Fire Emblem AND ADVANCE WARS!!!), I just do not feel the same excitement that I would have gotten if it was actually Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. Watching the gameplay made me a little envious of Langrisser fans because I want Intelligent Systems to give us something similar. I think I still might check the game out, but I do not think I am going to spend any money on it nor play it for very long.

14 hours ago, eclipse said:

So I can continue to yell at you all. :P:

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

This, too.

I wonder if all the staff in Serenes Forest has a hint of sadism streak in them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

i mean it is a popular opinion that Fates was the worse FE made thus far. its not just mine. Very many reasons behind this fact that you are probably aware. props to you for liking it i guess (not sure how) but its not a personal opinion whatsoever. 

I am aware that online the people who dislike fates are more and more vocals than those who love it, but don't make the mistake of thinking Fates doesn't have a lot of fans. All of my friends irl who play FE have either Awakening or Fates as their favorite game, with the Ike games coming close. They also played the GBA games and Echoes. A couple of them got hardcore and played Genealogy and FE6 with me. But none of the other games managed to entertain and capture them the same way Fates and Awakening did. 

I also know that at least a portion of FE fans have 0 interest on games that aren't Awakefates because their favorite feature is the ability to pair characters up and get kids, which is exclusive to those 2 games and 1 that never left japan. You may think less of them, but they exist, so to say all fans found Fates lacluster is an exaggeration.

46 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That is what staves are for in Heroes, after all.

Ha! Very true. For me, I find Gravity the most sadistic, but thankfully it also has the lowest area of effect range.

43 minutes ago, Tree said:

I do think it's odd that none of the staves in Heroes are actually used for healing.

Healing staves do exist, they are on the Assist slot. If you have Combat Animations and Support Animations on, you can see that healers use Weapon staves to attack and Assist staves to heal.

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

Ha! Very true. For me, I find Gravity the most sadistic, but thankfully it also has the lowest area of effect range.

Healing staves do exist, they are on the Assist slot. If you have Combat Animations and Support Animations on, you can see that healers use Weapon staves to attack and Assist staves to heal.

Oh, OK. I always play with animations off so I didn't see that.

1 minute ago, Tree said:

Oh, OK. I always play with animations off so I didn't see that.

Even with the animations on, I did not even realize Weapon staves and Assist staves were two different categories when I first played until I went to the wiki and saw both had sprites. I never noticed healers were using two different staves, and I just assumed it was the same staff for both attack and Assisting.

2 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

I am aware that online the people who dislike fates are more and more vocals than those who love it, but don't make the mistake of thinking Fates doesn't have a lot of fans. All of my friends irl who play FE have either Awakening or Fates as their favorite game, with the Ike games coming close. They also played the GBA games and Echoes. A couple of them got hardcore and played Genealogy and FE6 with me. But none of the other games managed to entertain and capture them the same way Fates and Awakening did. 

I also know that at least a portion of FE fans have 0 interest on games that aren't Awakefates because their favorite feature is the ability to pair characters up and get kids, which is exclusive to those 2 games and 1 that never left japan. You may think less of them, but they exist, so to say all fans found Fates lacluster is an exaggeration.

im not denying people like the games its just less then 50% of the community do like it (from everything related to fire emblem ive seen). The long time fans, majority of them werent a fan of the newer games.(Except Shadows of Valentia which was a good remake) A good example of this honestly is the newest Character introduction for Heroes, the hotspring fates characters. there is 4,000 likes on the video and 11,000 dislikes in less then 24 hours. 

I'm not trying hate on your favorite game or anything just explaining the FE playerbase didint enjoy it.

I actually liked Awakening tbh but i wished the characters were more interesting and the story less bland. Recently played through it again cause i had some time and i enjoyed it a lot more this time cause i used all the adults up to chapter 15-17 then switched over the child characters which kept the gameplay fresh the entire time. 

Edited by Zihark11

3 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

im not denying people like the games its just less then 50% of the community do like it (from everything related to fire emblem ive seen). The long time fans, majority of them werent a fan of the newer games.(Except Shadows of Valentia which was a good remake) A good example of this honestly is the newest Character introduction for Heroes, the hotspring fates characters. there is 4,000 likes on the video and 11,000 dislikes in less then 24 hours. 

I'm not trying hate on your favorite game or anything just explaining the FE playerbase didint enjoy it.

I actually liked Awakening tbh but i wished the characters were more interesting and the story less bland. Recently played through it again cause i had some time and i enjoyed it a lot more this time cause i used all the adults up to chapter 15-17 then switched over the child characters which kept the gameplay fresh the entire time. 

There are people that don't comment on forums, people that don't bother with liking or disliking videos. Those are the people that just go about their day being chill and playing the game for fun and whatnot. You're basing your assumption on a fraction of the fanbase, which is the internet. Saying the FE Playerbase didn't enjoy it without having all the players actually sign off and say their opinion is rather bad, don't you think?

Like, if you had a good poll with every known player of Fates rate it's features, I'd be down with your analysis, but you're basing your entire argument on forums (Reddit, Serenes, etc) without noting the players that don't actually converse or give their opinions, and those that don't even bother with likes or dislikes on youtube. Especially in Heroes, where, given the dislike ratio, they keep giving us Fates cause it keeps giving them money. It always does, that's why they do it.

And to be fair, SoV was good, but it wasn't great. Music was spot on, story is mediocre (the very game contradicts it's own morals in Alm's tale early on, and Celica surrenders her morals and tells Alm that he's right pretty quick and without a fight, not to mention she sees the equivalent of the avatar of evil and says "I'll let you take my body" and trusts it with not killing Alm of all things) and the supports/characters were OK but bland because their characterization was minimal (only a few really got their message across)

33 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

There are people that don't comment on forums, people that don't bother with liking or disliking videos. Those are the people that just go about their day being chill and playing the game for fun and whatnot. You're basing your assumption on a fraction of the fanbase, which is the internet. Saying the FE Playerbase didn't enjoy it without having all the players actually sign off and say their opinion is rather bad, don't you think?

Like, if you had a good poll with every known player of Fates rate it's features, I'd be down with your analysis, but you're basing your entire argument on forums (Reddit, Serenes, etc) without noting the players that don't actually converse or give their opinions, and those that don't even bother with likes or dislikes on youtube. Especially in Heroes, where, given the dislike ratio, they keep giving us Fates cause it keeps giving them money. It always does, that's why they do it.

And to be fair, SoV was good, but it wasn't great. Music was spot on, story is mediocre (the very game contradicts it's own morals in Alm's tale early on, and Celica surrenders her morals and tells Alm that he's right pretty quick and without a fight, not to mention she sees the equivalent of the avatar of evil and says "I'll let you take my body" and trusts it with not killing Alm of all things) and the supports/characters were OK but bland because their characterization was minimal (only a few really got their message across)

i can only go off the information that is available to me. the saying people that dont comment or like videos excuse gets weaker every year. everyone uses the internet. if people are not commenting about the game its because they are most likely casual players compared to veterans like us whove been here for many years supporting the game. 

I agree not everyone comments or likes posts/topics/videos but again theyre opinion cant really count in this situation then if they do not raise it.

maybe there is this secret community of people that absolutely loves fates but we wont know cause they dont make it known. Thus with the information we have my comments are accurate.  

9 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

i can only go off the information that is available to me.

Based on CYL results, I believe the fanbase in general does not dislike Fates.

the saying people that dont comment or like videos excuse gets weaker every year. everyone uses the internet. if people are not commenting about the game its because they are most likely casual players compared to veterans like us whove been here for many years supporting the game. 

I've been playing Fire Emblem since 2004, and I have never liked or disliked a banner trailer. Be careful of making generalisations.

I agree not everyone comments or likes posts/topics/videos but again theyre opinion cant really count in this situation then if they do not raise it.

maybe there is this secret community of people that absolutely loves fates but we wont know cause they dont make it known. Thus with the information we have my comments are accurate.  

The influence of the silent majority is there to see, if you know what to look for. Just because they're less vocal doesn't mean their opinion doesn't "count" or is less valid. 

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah, same here. If Heroes is not Fire Emblem Heroes, I would not even consider touching the game. Even though TearRing Saga is made by the creator of Fire Emblem, I just cannot find myself to care about that series, which is a little strange now that I think about it since the people who made Sacred Stones might not be at Intelligent Systems anymore to make Awakening.

I'd say TRS feels about as much like Fire Emblem as Heroes does. (Unlike random other gachas, which presumably don't feel like FE at all.) If IS had made it for the N64 with its title changed to start with "Fire Emblem" and literally no other differences, no one would have questioned it.

Vestaria Saga has a demo of the first chapter of its English version free on Steam. Have you tried it?

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

Vestaria Saga has a demo of the first chapter of its English version free on Steam. Have you tried it?

Nope. I heard about it, but I does not pique my interest enough to bother.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you try it, I think you'll change your mind. They're literally just FE games under a different name.

(At least, TRS and Vestaria are. Berwick is admittedly a bit more alien, but could still have passed for a particularly weird FE game.)

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Trust me, it's well worth it.  The maps are bigger, there's more movement type diversity, and what little story I've seen is miles better than Heroes.

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

If you try it, I think you'll change your mind. They're literally just FE games under a different name.

(At least, TRS and Vestaria are. Berwick is admittedly a bit more alien, but could still have passed for a particularly weird FE game.)

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Trust me, it's well worth it.  The maps are bigger, there's more movement type diversity, and what little story I've seen is miles better than Heroes.

I see. I will give it a try when I get the chance.

35 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

i can only go off the information that is available to me. the saying people that dont comment or like videos excuse gets weaker every year. everyone uses the internet. if people are not commenting about the game its because they are most likely casual players compared to veterans like us whove been here for many years supporting the game. 

There is a minimum of 250,000 active players in the Arena based on the sizes of the top few tiers assuming no one leaves or joins the game, so the total player base is going to be larger than this number.

Even if every single dislike were a different person (and we know that there are people who downvote both videos), that's only 17,000 dislikes so far, which is less than 7% of the lower bound on the Arena player base.

I wish I could play the Sagas, but alas, I cannot presently do so. I need somebody to throw me their cheap, used, in good working order PC. I've decided on my Marlon choices for some time (Lee and the good infantry guy), and I really want to feel out Berwick, its radical differences are so fascinating.  I'm already using Czene as my badge.

30 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I dunno I tried them but they just feel like FE without the Fire Emblem. I guess to me it feels like it's the older FE games redone, but in a weirder way. It's hard to explain how I feel about the TRS or Vestaria, but I guess I can say I really didn't like em much.

@Interdimensional Observer You really don't need much to run emulators especially turn-based games. I use a 1st gen Chromebook with Linux to run Dolphin, and epsxe to play TRS, Berwick Saga, and various others. It's only a dual-core Haswell 1.3 GHz processor with 2 GB of system memory. You just have to know how to configure them properly for what you have. Let me know if you need help.

Edited by grinus

18 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

I dunno I tried them but they just feel like FE without the Fire Emblem. I guess to me it feels like it's the older FE games redone, but in a weirder way. It's hard to explain how I feel about the TRS or Vestaria, but I guess I can say I really didn't like em much.

They're definitely more like old FE than newer ones. Particularly FE5, which makes sense since that's the last FE game Kaga worked on before breaking off. Works for me, since I love FE5.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

They're definitely more like old FE than newer ones. Particularly FE5, which makes sense since that's the last FE game Kaga worked on before breaking off. Works for me, since I love FE5.

I beat FE5 once but didn't know the story (went with the patch that let me play, so I didn't know the story at all) and it was OK. The game itself was rather strange but I can understand the likes.

On 21/1/2019 at 6:41 AM, Arcphoenix said:

IS hasn't exactly made the most popular decisions and it's caused many players to quit FEH. Some people still remain around in spite of that, myself included. What's everyone's mindsets to continue playing?

because i'm dumb and bored

but sure, many times i thought i should've quitted

On 1/21/2019 at 3:58 PM, XRay said:

Indeed. Had not been for being FIYAH EMBLUM, I wouldn’t have remembered this game by the end of the week it was announced. Hell, I’m playing Dragalia Lost as well, but I didn’t give it two shits about it back then. The only reason I gave it a try, it was because I found out later the English cast is done by ponies, and I’m fan of pony if you haven’t noticed my profile picture :P:. Hell, I hardly remember it’s characters even today XD