How would you feel if all the DLC was 3rd Party?

Jedi

27 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I think at least one DLC character will be first party, because the Mother series is turning 30 this year and Porky, a major antagonist in two games, is suspiciously absent from the list of Spirits from the Mother series.

It's not gonna happen. A niche cult classic like Mother is not going to sell a DLC/fighter pass. It would make a small, dedicated crowd for a series that hasn't seen a game in 13 years very happy while bewildering the rest of the world. Like other niche characters such as Isaac, his best shot was base roster.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doubtful that all of Nintendo's suggested characters are exclusively third party "contracts", and that we will see at least one first party character. Watch me scoff when it is neither a zelda nor kirby character.

But if you ask me, third party characters in Smash are always the best case scenario. For my money, the Smash Bros roster has been complete since Brawl, with only one glaring omission being Ridley. Anybody else from Nintendo's back catalogue was just extra. While guest inclusions like Mega Man are honestly better than any first party pick I can think of. You can't have a party without guests, I'll always say. And if these inclusions are just advertisements of a non-nintendo property, is that really harmful? How does it hurt Nintendo's bottom line when people suddenly pick up a switch so they can play as Master Chief  Stefan from Minecraft? It's a win-win for all involved. And I don't think these guests need some prerequisite history on Nintendo platforms. What, does Master Chief Ryo Hazuki need to bow his head to the big N as a sign of respect? 

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

It's not gonna happen. A niche cult classic like Mother is not going to sell a DLC/fighter pass. It would make a small, dedicated crowd for a series that hasn't seen a game in 13 years very happy while bewildering the rest of the world. Like other niche characters such as Isaac, his best shot was base roster.

You underestimate the power of Smash. Even niche characters making it an DLC in Smash have the power to generate enough bank. There's also the fact that most people would get all the DLC fighters anyway, for the sake of having a complete roster (especially if they plan on going into competitive).

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Like it was said before, you underestimate the power of Smash’s popularity.

And the Mother series surprisingly gets a lot love in Smash. The sheer amount of references, Lucas got an arc of sorts in Subspace Emissary, Porky was boss in SE, Lucas using a stick instead of bat like Ness and many others. Pretty much everything Mother fan gets giddy when they noticed the references in Smash.

While I would like to see at least a few more first party characters in the DLC I'll understand if they go all out on third party characters. And it's all about those Benjamins I tell ya. Third party guest characters are more likely to draw in new customers who don't have Switches yet which is always going to be a smarter strategy than simply appealing to the customers that already invested, because making 25 dollars on a season pass isn't nearly as important as the 300 dollars on a new console.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

I would not be opposed to a all third party lineup of dlc characters on principle, but I don't think its the best move. They already got the biggest nintendo console icons and it will be hard to top the surprises that where Joker and Bayonetta.

32 minutes ago, Sasori said:

I would not be opposed to a all third party lineup of dlc characters on principle, but I don't think its the best move. They already got the biggest nintendo console icons and it will be hard to top the surprises that where Joker and Bayonetta.

Surprise isn't a good thing or a bad thing in its own right. I mean, Pirahna Plant was also a huge surprise, but to say that the reaction to that reveal was mixed would be an understatement. Something can be surprising because people didn't know that they wanted it (Joker), but it can also be surprising because very few people were asking for it (Pirahna Plant and Wii Fit Trainer).

Sometimes, expected comfort food is the biggest and best kind of reveal, and that can certainly apply to some of the biggest 3rd party candidates (like Dragon Quest).

Edited by Etheus

While I don't mind third party characters in Smash, I would be annoyed if all the characters in the Fighter Pass were third party characters, cuz there are still several first part Nintendo characters I think deserve to be in Smash like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, any new Zelda character that isn't part of the Triforce trio, and so on. Now if we got a second Fighter Pass that was entirely first party based with characters like Bandana Dee, Sylux, and Rex, that would be a different story.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Surprise isn't a good thing or a bad thing in its own right. I mean, Pirahna Plant was also a huge surprise, but to say that the reaction to that reveal was mixed would be an understatement. Something can be surprising because people didn't know that they wanted it (Joker), but it can also be surprising because very few people were asking for it (Pirahna Plant and Wii Fit Trainer).

Sometimes, expected comfort food is the biggest and best kind of reveal, and that can certainly apply to some of the biggest 3rd party candidates (like Dragon Quest).

Personally I actually like Piranha plant. He's not only a surprise, but also a very unique character that has things about him that no other character can replicate. Although I do see why his reception would be so mixed.

1 minute ago, Sasori said:

Personally I actually like Piranha plant. He's not only a surprise, but also a very unique character that has things about him that no other character can replicate. Although I do see why his reception would be so mixed.

I'm unironically interested in maining Piranha Plant, but I get why people would be mad over it because it was revealed in the same direct that deconfirmed a lot of popularly requested/speculated characters like Shadow the Hedgehog, Isaac, Spring Man, and the Black Knight. If anything, it's a case of bad timing.

Personally I wouldn't mind, I play Smash to play people I like from games to beat up other characters. Just more representation of a series to see how it the character transfers to a fighting game and what their move set will be like, And in some cases how the move set compares to another fighting game version of the character like how Cloud compared to Dissidia to Smash.

When it comes to Joker I'm looking forward to see his smash because I'm curious to see if anything from smash influences how he'll work in a P5 fighter, (Which I'm hoping happens and will be on PC this time)

Sure I'd like some Nintendo 1st party character but I'm sure this won't be the only set of DLC characters, Smash seems to be fairly early in the switch's life so theres still good chance more characters and DLC.

6 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I think at least one DLC character will be first party, because the Mother series is turning 30 this year and Porky, a major antagonist in two games, is suspiciously absent from the list of Spirits from the Mother series.

Isn't he in with the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit?

Would be slightly disappointed if all 5 DLC characters were third party but it does make since from a business perspective and most big name first party characters are already in Smash. Though really if there is a character I don't like or care about is picked it wouldn't bother me that much because there is nothing forcing me to buy such a character and I could safely ignore them.

I just want those to be characters that make sense whit nintendo. Putting cloud in smash to me is like having french people celebrating the battle of Waterloo, because Cloud is the symbol of that time Sony beat the shit out of Nintendo. I was annoyed whit Joker because i am one of those SMT elitist that hate persona and wanted something else to be the atlus representetive(i was expecting smt5 protagonist as a way to advertise the upcoming game, iiec Roy too was released in smash before fe6 release), but i am not particoularly angry.

I totally think the recent DLC leak of all Fighter Passes are 3rd Party Fighters only is bit tedious and really kinda unfair for some people wanted some Nintendo characters to make it as DLC Fighter Pass. I don't think we are getting every five 3rd Party Fighters in the entire Fighter Pass, I think we are might getting two 3rd Party Fighters and three Nintendo characters for the Fighter Pass.

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

I just want those to be characters that make sense whit nintendo. Putting cloud in smash to me is like having french people celebrating the battle of Waterloo, because Cloud is the symbol of that time Sony beat the shit out of Nintendo. I was annoyed whit Joker because i am one of those SMT elitist that hate persona and wanted something else to be the atlus representetive(i was expecting smt5 protagonist as a way to advertise the upcoming game, iiec Roy too was released in smash before fe6 release), but i am not particoularly angry.

I don't think many see Cloud as that tbh, I think it's more accurate to view him as a JRPG icon like Sakurai does, but if that's how you feel I won't try to change your mind.

Plus Final Fantasy itself was on Nintendo for quite some time, so there is that, even if Cloud's wasn't on Nintendo (until this year).

Edited by IS Bath Salts HQ

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Just pretend that Cloud was actually Ogma, but someone royally dun goof'd on the reference material, and instead of using his artwork used his battle sprite from Shadow Dragon and New Mystery... which looks enough like Cloud (in a large part due to lack of detail and color coded army members) that I've been making jokes about Cloud being a cheap knock-off of Ogma for years, or claiming my favourite Fire Emblem is the one with Cloud Strife in reference to the resemblance. I mean, when you think about it, Ogma even comes with an Iron Blade, that's not that far off a Buster blade, and Cloud was a mercenary in FFVII.

I know. It's a stupid joke, but hell, you got to get your laughs somewhere.

11 hours ago, Flere210 said:

I was annoyed whit Joker because i am one of those SMT elitist that hate persona 

Well, that's your opinion. I for one am delighted with Joker. I love Persona 5. I think it's an incredible, delightful game that more than deserves the recognition and representation it got. I am so happy with Joker that, even if the remaining DLC characters all somehow disappoint me, I will be more than satisfied.

But then, I'm no self-proclaimed elitist. To me, a great game is a great game, and I am thoroughly looking forward to SMT5 as well as anything in the future for Persona.

Edited by Etheus

honestly, I really wouldn't care, everything that would be worth adding as DLC is already playable, an assist, or some other third form that makes it less viable for wave 1 than I think it would have been otherwise, I think if a wave 2 happened, it would use assist characters or or spirits due to there just not being enough space for the new stuff.

I'd be pretty disappointed. My biggest gripe with Smash 4's DLC was how 3/4 newcomers were third-party.

There's still a ton of first-party characters to add to this Nintendo crossover game. I'll accept Joker and maybe one other third-party if they're a really good choice, but I would really much prefer otherwise.

Sonic is a rival mascot. Pac-Man is an arcade legend. Mega Man, Simon Belmont and Bayonetta are honorary Nintendo characters. But Snake, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Richter, and Joker have absolutely zilch to do with Nintendo. It was funny with Snake the first time and I love having him around for that, but we don't need more and more "Snakes" piled on.

6 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'd be pretty disappointed. My biggest gripe with Smash 4's DLC was how 3/4 newcomers were third-party.

There's still a ton of first-party characters to add to this Nintendo crossover game. I'll accept Joker and maybe one other third-party if they're a really good choice, but I would really much prefer otherwise.

Sonic is a rival mascot. Pac-Man is an arcade legend. Mega Man, Simon Belmont and Bayonetta are honorary Nintendo characters. But Snake, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Richter, and Joker have absolutely zilch to do with Nintendo. It was funny with Snake the first time and I love having him around for that, but we don't need more and more "Snakes" piled on.

You do realize Street Fighter 2 was one of the best selling games on the SNES right?

I just don't see the need for more first party characters. What could even be contributed that would be better than a strong 3rd party pick?

Bandana Dee is just a 3rd player character, and one based off a generic enemy design no less. I certainly think that he should have been the preorder bonus above Pirahna Plant, but he's only a half step better.

Dixie Kong is just another Kong. We don't need just another Kong. They aren't interesting, and if the series were to even get another rep, it would be better served with another villain addition who could potentially bring more to the table.

Tingle is an abortion in human form. Impa would be an unnecessary Sheik variant. Almost everyone else in the Zelda series is a one off character that will never be seen again and does not represent anything more than a brief footnote of gaming history.

Walluigi is such a self-loathing joke character that losing his spot to Pirahna Plant is unironically the most Walluigi thing to have ever happened.

Earthbound is ancient history.

F-Zero is dead.

Star Fox is almost dead.

Pokemon and Mario don't need more reps.

Metroid has everyone it needs, and some.

Fire Emblem squandered its potential on sword-lords that caused the community to react with blind revulsion to new characters from a franchise that could offer so much variety.

I don't see what they could possibly even add beyond another Xenoblade rep (which would be great, but not necessary) and an Arms rep (and who would even care if they did?). 

The best thing they could have done outside of third parties was add honorary Nintendo exclusive characters from third party developers like Travis Touchdown and Phoenix Wright/Miles Edgeworth.