Choose Your Legends 3

Alistair

6 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

I would hate for the midterm results to go away myself, lets me vote honestly early on, then practically at the end

Without it I wouldn't have had my playable Veronica.

Most of the people that want the midterm results to go away are people whose characters were affected negatively by them such as Camilla last year. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

Same! Adrift Camilla is my favorite one too, and even if I have put so many orbs, she's not in my barrack ^^

Yes!

Reveal hidden contents

In a fallen hero banner she could be a cool GHB! (because in her normal form, she doesn't feel like GHB for me)

I hope we can have Adrift Camilla someday.

Also...

Spoiler

Can we have Fallen Gunnthrá too, but instead of the purple energy around her, we have her on fire?

Because... let us be real, with the theme of Book III being the dead, and Surtr appearing in that Xenologue, there is a good chance of the characters that died in Book II to appear in the Realm of the Dead in some future chapter.

7 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

I would hate for the midterm results to go away myself, lets me vote honestly early on, then practically at the end

Without it I wouldn't have had my playable Veronica.

I am not a huge fan of the midterm results, but I agree with you about Veronica. I was really happy when she was announced as one of the winners. i consider her Brave Alt a better unit than the first place, Brave Celica.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The original CYL had lots of people voting who don't play Heroes. It was the biggest fan poll of favourite FE character ever, lots of people who like FE are going to want to weigh in. I suspect relatively fewer non-Heroes players voted in 2 and 3, but I don't think it's in any way unfair that they do. People like voting in popularity contests! I well remember how big the GameFAQs contests were when that site was more relevant.

I think there's a bit of a disconnect between people who treat this as a popularity contest and people who treat this as "who deserves an alt / to be in FEH". Both are perfectly valid reasons for voting, and it shouldn't be hard to understand those who vote each way IMO.

The original CYL was before Heroes was even out. I think by now, it could make sense for them to make voting work through Heroes, so people have to have it to vote. Anyone still has the option, but people who don't have it have to really care about voting.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

... Honestly, this IS actually a good idea. That's what they did for "A Hero Rises" as well.

Why didn't they think of this?

(I also think they should include a poll of characters not in the game so they can see which characters who are NOT IN THE GAME AT ALL people want most rather than votes being diverted towards those already in.)

This is sort of what the midway results are for, I think. Except with the option of sitting out of the finals to keep voting for other characters, which is what I'm doing. (Well, one other character.)

54 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Right, and I think at this point enough of us have reason to believe that the devs are or have become ridiculously biased to the point where if a character doesn't either win CYL or get high enough to make Farfetched Heroes, there's no guarantee the devs will even care how high they are.

No guarantee, but it can make plenty of difference. It certainly seems to have been significant for Tibarn.

Right now, all but 5 of the characters who scored in the top 60 of CYL2 are in the game, and the missing 5 are all 3DS beasts and probably on their way soon. That looks deliberate to me.

35 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Most of the people that want the midterm results to go away are people whose characters were affected negatively by them such as Camilla last year. 

I voted for Veronica, but I want midterm results to go away ^^ Without them, the results would be the result and not a hunt against a certain character. It's a good thing that Veronica had a win, but It was not a real win for me because of those midterm results.

35 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Also...

Reveal hidden contents

Can we have Fallen Gunnthrá too, but instead of the purple energy around her, we have her on fire?

Because... let us be real, with the theme of Book III being the dead, and Surtr appearing in that Xenologue, there is a good chance of the characters that died in Book II to appear in the Realm of the Dead in some future chapter.

I am not a huge fan of the midterm results, but I agree with you about Veronica. I was really happy when she was announced as one of the winners. i consider her Brave Alt a better unit than the first place, Brave Celica.

Spoiler

Fallen Gunnthra? Yeah it sounds good to me! I really want your idea to be real!

Edited by Drakhis

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

The original CYL was before Heroes was even out. I think by now, it could make sense for them to make voting work through Heroes, so people have to have it to vote. Anyone still has the option, but people who don't have it have to really care about voting.

That's a good idea, making the voting through the game.

I don't know about that. If I'm going to search through a database of 700 characters to find the one I want to vote for, I'd really rather do it on my computer's web browser than on my phone. I see no benefit to removing that option unless you're trying to prevent people from voting.

28 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

I don't like the idea of it period. They just make a mess and the end results less "legitimate". It just turns the whole thing into a fight of bandwaggoning votes and community drama (more so than it already would be). That includes people that would be positively affecting me too, like salt miners voting Camilla this year. Midterm results are as close to an unspoiled result as we can get now, but it's only 3/7 of the way through.

52 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

Same! Adrift Camilla is my favorite one too, and even if I have put so many orbs, she's not in my barrack ^^

Hope you get her! You deserve to see the glory of the full 6milla AR team.

58 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

the banner units are pretty good.

If you mean in gameplay, well anyone can be. If their origin class and weapon are an issue, just put it all on an alt. Stats from original game a handicap?

Spoiler
Karel Sword Demon Face FC.png Karel: Sword Demon Icon Class Red Sword.png Icon Move Infantry.png 47 30 35 25 20 157
Karla Sword Vassal Face FC.png Karla: Sword Vassal Icon Class Red Sword.png Icon Move Infantry.png 42 35 40 23 22 162

20/20 Karel from FE7:

HP 39.4 Str 19.6 Skl 29 Spd 26 Lck 18.6 Def 14.2 Res 13.8

20/20 Karla from FE7:

HP 38 Str 17.75 Skl 27.75 Spd 26.25 Lck 22 Def 12.5 Res 15

Yeah, I don't think they always have to count.

Anything good in gameplay these characters received could have gone to others, no doubt about that.

6 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

You deserve to see the glory of the full 6milla AR team.

This sounds fun. Brave Camilla will be the 7th version of her, and... to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bride Camilla or Winter Camilla this year. Grand Conquest Camilla Team is possible to happen someday.

13 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I don't know about that. If I'm going to search through a database of 700 characters to find the one I want to vote for, I'd really rather do it on my computer's web browser than on my phone. I see no benefit to removing that option unless you're trying to prevent people from voting.

Hmm, I always vote on mobile so I hadn't thought of that. They could certainly improve the interface in the process, though. And it'd help deal with the people who vote separately on all their devices just because there's nothing stopping them.

6 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

This sounds fun. Brave Camilla will be the 7th version of her, and... to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bride Camilla or Winter Camilla this year. Grand Conquest Camilla Team is possible to happen someday.

It may be a bright future for Camilla emblem. And the best part is IS has a habit of giving her such good variety (as long as she's a flier), so they promise to all be fun.

Edited by Alkaid

The midterm results should be removed if they do this again next year.

If the point of CYL is for people to vote for their favourite characters, the midterm results being shown ruins that. Instead they encourage people to massively vote for one of the top 5 or so and creates this environment of voting "against" characters to kick them out of the top spots. And if you don't like any of the top 5 in the midterms then you're basically just left with voting for the least worst option or voting for your favourites knowing you won't make a difference. 

17 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

If the point of CYL is for people to vote for their favourite characters, the midterm results being shown ruins that. Instead they encourage people to massively vote for one of the top 5 or so and creates this environment of voting "against" characters to kick them out of the top spots. And if you don't like any of the top 5 in the midterms then you're basically just left with voting for the least worst option or voting for your favourites knowing you won't make a difference. 

It's essentially the same as a cut to top 5 or so. That's a well-established system, and no one complained about it with A Hero Rises.

I do think they should be more upfront about it (announcing ahead of time that midterm results will be a thing and when) but I like the general concept of them.

Edited by Othin

I think what these results will do is give them the go ahead to keep Fates/Awakening and alt heavy this year.  Perhaps that was the initial plan but if these results showed that wouldn't be a good move they would change it drastically.  In addition I think we will see an addition 1-2 alts of Camilla besides the CYL version this year.  If she wasn't #1 but #5 or below I think she might not get any.  It will also influence what characters get alts, and yeah maybe Reinhardt gets another and Sigurd gets a legendary version so small silver lining but otherwise it looks pretty dire for fans of older games.

One thing to bear in mind about oh these older characters were popular but didn't get many/any alts.  Well I said males are rarely on seasonals, and usually those are all Fates/Awakening or 50% Fates/Awakening and 50% mixed or some other game.  So where does Ike fit in?  The yukuta banner, too bad that was half Fates, and so he couldn't make it.  Otherwise there would have to be a banner dedicated to his game, and there was the first banner in January with Miciah....and that's it the whole year.  So where do they put alt Ike?  These popular characters from older games that are male likely won't get on any seasonal, very tight fit being male and from older game.  In addition since not even one banner will release a year with that game sometimes, or one at most....there is very room to fit them in. 

So yeah I think these CYL results determine a ton.  This last year was terrible with introduction of alts on new hero banners, tons of Fates/Awakening and other than Geneology getting 2 nice banners really terrible for older games.  The Thracia banner was the joke of all time, and then there was one Blazing sword banner that was okay...I guess.  The January Miciah banner was good except they put Zelgius on that, our first alt on new hero banner.  

Old games are going to continue to get screwed over hard, maybe more so this year.  That is nothing to be excited about unless one hasn't played or otherwise dislikes all those games before Awakening.  

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

It creates engagement in the fanbase and it also serves as a way to influence those who are still undecided. The threads wouldn’t be nearly as active if there weren’t any midterm results. People are still free to vote for any of the available characters. No one is forcing you to vote for any of the top 10. If people are “encouraged” to vote for a high ranking character, it’s because they chose to do so. Just 2 more days until the voting session is over and then it’s a waiting game. 

3 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

One thing to bear in mind about oh these older characters were popular but didn't get many/any alts.  Well I said males are rarely on seasonals, and usually those are all Fates/Awakening or 50% Fates/Awakening and 50% mixed or some other game.  So where does Ike fit in?  The yukuta banner, too bad that was half Fates, and so he couldn't make it.  Otherwise there would have to be a banner dedicated to his game, and there was the first banner in January with Miciah....and that's it the whole year.  So where do they put alt Ike?  These popular characters from older games that are male likely won't get on any seasonal, very tight fit being male and from older game.  In addition since not even one banner will release a year with that game sometimes, or one at most....there is very room to fit them in.  

I think beach Ike would have gone over quite nicely, even if it is his RD self I think it still would have been very popular, instead the old ones we got were summer tana, innes, linde and Y!tiki, then no less than 3 rehashed summer units for the rest, that is what I think is the most ridiculous, I really like summer alts but they choose to reuse characters who have already gotten that treatment elsewhere. then there is the fact that ylisse and nohr got dedicated summer banners, it kind of excited me for a possible tellius or magvel summer banner.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

It may be a bright future for Camilla emblem. And the best part is IS has a habit of giving her such good variety (as long as she's a flier), so they promise to all be fun.

Look, I'm not trying to bring down Camilla fans or anyone who likes her, or anything else negative and divisive right now, but do you guys not realize how tone deaf this sounds? Yes, I get that you're excited because Camilla gets a lot of good stuff so better for people who like her. More power for you, but it comes off as indirect gloating and kind of greedy in the face of anyone whose favorite characters have no alts or aren't even in the game. Again, there's a time and place and I'm not sure if this is the best place.

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Look, I'm not trying to bring down Camilla fans or anyone who likes her, or anything else negative and divisive right now, but do you guys not realize how tone deaf this sounds? Yes, I get that you're excited because Camilla gets a lot of good stuff so better for people who like her. More power for you, but it comes off as indirect gloating and kind of greedy in the face of anyone whose favorite characters have no alts or aren't even in the game. Again, there's a time and place and I'm not sure if this is the best place.

I don't really care about the alt issue, and I'm allowed not to. Be it more Camillas, Ikes, or whatever they may make. I want some characters not in the game too, but I'm still enjoying the new alts and seasonals as well. Trying to turn liking or even just not being against alts into a morality issue lately is ridiculous. Gloating is not my intention, but yes I am enjoying that Camilla has another alt and may get a CYL one this year. I'm not going to be scared away from discussing something positively because of the community's whining.

14 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I don't really care about the alt issue, and I'm allowed not to. Be it more Camillas, Ikes, or whatever they may make. I want some characters not in the game too, but I'm still enjoying the new alts and seasonals as well. Trying to turn liking or even just not being against alts into a morality issue lately is ridiculous. Gloating is not my intention, but yes I am enjoying that Camilla has another alt and may get a CYL one this year. I'm not going to be scared away from discussing something positively because of the community's whining.

That's your prerogative to not care, but then don't be surprised if other people start thinking unfavorably of you (or by extension other Camilla fans).

I'm not even asking you to not be happy or to dislike alts or turn it into a morality issue or anything like that. I'm just asking if this is REALLY the best place to be gushing over how you're looking forward to getting other seasonal Camilla alts in the near future. TIME AND PLACE is not a morality issue, it's more of a common sense issue.

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Next month is a link skill banner. This could be a chance for Adrift Camilla. Hopefully it is a 3 unit banner. In that case I try my luck to get her. Also was unlucky on the adrift banner. Pulled for Mikoto and Camilla and got neither one. Guess who tries to go for 2 gets none. xD

2 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I agree with this. My decision has been changed. If it wouldn't be for the midterm result all my votes would have gone to favorites who are not in the game. Even worse, maybe units who don't get attention get even less points overall because for some players it turns into a vote to try to get 2 to the top who are an outcome one likes to have. At least if maybe one of the top 5 is still interesting.
So the top 4-5 units get even pushed further and you cannot see anymore how far the remaining in the top 20 would have scored without the influence.

I only speak for myself, maybe I am wrong on this and others are more indifferent about midterm results.

I am also a bit demotivated about voting for a favorite out of the outcome through CYL 2. Its just not that transparent. Flora and Ophelia placed pretty well, so maybe it was some help for their decision. And Silas still had place 124. But Rinkah was place 83 and still did not get into the game. Even as a Camilla fan I was a bit annoyed about adrift. I pulled there because I still liked the units and Mikoto was on my wishlist. But that banner just took 3 spots for Hoshido characters along with Rinkah. They just don't believe that abs sell.

Edited by Stroud

29 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I think beach Ike would have gone over quite nicely, even if it is his RD self I think it still would have been very popular, instead the old ones we got were summer tana, innes, linde and Y!tiki, then no less than 3 rehashed summer units for the rest, that is what I think is the most ridiculous, I really like summer alts but they choose to reuse characters who have already gotten that treatment elsewhere. then there is the fact that ylisse and nohr got dedicated summer banners, it kind of excited me for a possible tellius or magvel summer banner.

Yes beach Ike would fit but then that would have to be a half Tellius banner instead of half Sacred Stones, and the yukuta banner ended up being half Tellius.  The opportunities for old characters are so thin.  Realistically cause Yukuta banner was Tellius, Ike had no spot the entire year.  Being male is tough, being male and from a game pre Awakening is just brutal.  Yes Ike the most popular character of all by some margin, can't get any alts.  He got a CYL version voted in by the players, and a legendary version something most lords seem to be getting.  Yet no spots for him to appear elsewhere.  How sad is that?  

19 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

That's your prerogative to not care, but then don't be surprised if other people start thinking unfavorably of you (or by extension other Camilla fans).

I'm not even asking you to not be happy or to dislike alts or turn it into a morality issue or anything like that. I'm just asking if this is REALLY the best place to be gushing over how you're looking forward to getting other seasonal Camilla alts in the near future. TIME AND PLACE is not a morality issue, it's more of a common sense issue.

It's an interesting contrast with what happened with Eirika last year. Eirika got an alt in the middle of CYL2 voting, and many of her fans seem to have bailed on her, feeling that it decreased the value of a CYL version of her and using their remaining votes for other characters they liked instead.

Camilla fans seem to feel differently. I have guesses as to why, but I'm also curious if any Camilla fans want to give their own take on the discrepancy.

Edited by Othin

Under the assumption that Ranulf is already in the works, I'm making my symbolic Beast vote go to Skrimir. An RD addition who played a solid supporting role in Part 3's plot, getting a full character development arc from there to the end of Part 4. Sure it's only him going from RAWR! ME FIGHT! to a temperament much more reasonable, but there are FE lords who in an entire game don't get even that. -Well maybe they do, but I'm not detecting/feeling it so readily as I am with the real young lion. That's just me.

4 hours ago, Magus of Memery said:

Still, the Hoshidan children were completely screwed over thanks to Wings of Fate and out of all things Rhajat being in the first banner.

But what about Caeldori and Asugi? Is Awakening a dinosaur now? I thought they were popular? 

When was the last time we got a Lucina or a Lyn? Why have they faded away? Did the arrival of that Maeda guy he does great dishonor to his glorious ancestor Toshiie! as captain of this ship lead to the hard turn to icebergboard? -Probably not if we look at the timing of when he joined on and what we already had, but it'd be good to know exactly when he showed up.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer