Choose Your Legends 3

Alistair

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The suggestion that Eliwood shouldnt get the Binding Blade because he'd be a bad unit is a silly one. The Binding Blade has the most justification to be a fantastic weapon than any other. The fact that it's so poor on Roy is the stupid thing. It's quite possibly the best weapon in the series. Probably rivaled only by FE1 Marth's Falchion and the Holy Weapons of Jugdral.

10 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

the royal sword actually only had the requirement of being wielded by someone with royal blood, this would have included celica, it still has requirements, but celica also meets them.

Yet she can't use it in Gaiden if Alm trades it to her asfaik. Granted that's probably gameplay story segregation, if not then it makes Rudolf a massive troll by gifting the Sophian royal family a weapon they can't use.

Edited by Jotari

38 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The suggestion that Eliwood shouldnt get the Binding Blade because he'd be a bad unit is a silly one. The Binding Blade has the most justification to be a fantastic weapon than any other. The fact that it's so poor on Roy is the stupid thing. It's quite possibly the best weapon in the series. Probably rivaled only by FE1 Marth's Falchion and the Holy Weapons of Jugdral.

Because I feel like doing this:

Binding Blade Binding Blade 1~2 8 18 95 10 20 Lord/Master Lord only, Def and Res +5, effective against Manaketes and Maryus, can be used to recover 30 HP
Ragnell Ragnell 18 80 5 20 1~2 2 Ike only, Def +5

Availability:

BB- Chapters 22, 23, 24, and Final (which doesn't really count). Plus Trial Maps.

Rag- Chapters 27-2 (which doesn't really count, 28, and Endgame. Plus Trial Maps.

Roy vs. PoR Ike in 20/20 stats, note that growth rate totals creeped up by about 30-40 for units who must be trained, leading to some stat inflation.

Roy:

HP 52.4 Str 22.2 Skl 25 Spd 24.2 Lck 29.8 Def 16.5 Res 16.4

PoR Ike:

HP 51.5 Str 26 Mag 10.6 Skl 27 Spd 28 Lck 19.3 Def 23.2 Res 17.2

So the Binding Blade has same or better stats than the Ragnell, slightly more availability, and Roy and PoR Ike have comparable stats factoring out some inflation. And yet the BB is so lacking it seems. All because of two things: a mere 20 uses, and Roy promoting so darned late.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Because I feel like doing this:

Binding Blade Binding Blade 1~2 8 18 95 10 20 Lord/Master Lord only, Def and Res +5, effective against Manaketes and Maryus, can be used to recover 30 HP
Ragnell Ragnell 18 80 5 20 1~2 2 Ike only, Def +5

Availability:

BB- Chapters 22, 23, 24, and Final (which doesn't really count). Plus Trial Maps.

Rag- Chapters 27-2 (which doesn't really count, 28, and Endgame. Plus Trial Maps.

Roy vs. PoR Ike in 20/20 stats, note that growth rate totals creeped up by about 30-40 for units who must be trained, leading to some stat inflation.

Roy:

HP 52.4 Str 22.2 Skl 25 Spd 24.2 Lck 29.8 Def 16.5 Res 16.4

PoR Ike:

HP 51.5 Str 26 Mag 10.6 Skl 27 Spd 28 Lck 19.3 Def 23.2 Res 17.2

So the Binding Blade has same or better stats than the Ragnell, slightly more availability, and Roy and PoR Ike have comparable stats factoring out some inflation. And yet the BB is so lacking it seems. All because of two things: a mere 20 uses, and Roy promoting so darned late.

The silliest thing about Ragnell's availability is that Ike actually had it throughout the entire game, he just never told the player and decided not to use the super powerful unbreakable sword for some reason. It would have been much better if the Black Knight kept it and offered it to him in their fight like he offered Gwain.

Also Roy Vs Ike, there's this (which was calculated using MATHS!)

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

The silliest thing about Ragnell's availability is that Ike actually had it throughout the entire game, he just never told the player and decided not to use the super powerful unbreakable sword for some reason. It would have been much better if the Black Knight kept it and offered it to him in their fight like he offered Gwain.

How would he know it wasn't breakable? Blackie didn't tell him anything about it until much later. Also, how would he hide the truth of having this gilded blade the entire time from Titania and others? And technically, it'd significantly weigh him down until after promotion.

Although I do see your point, replicating that cool moment (for the time at least in FE's history) in the duel would have been nice. Since it would be in a way more paralleling the difference between Ike and his father. Greil ran from his past, Ike is willing to confront his father's past.

My bigger problem with Ragnell is how Begnion didn't notice two priceless national treasures had gone missing this entire time. Well I know how the BK got them, but how nobody made a ruckus at least afterwards is a serious question (beforehand I can see strings being pulled to hide the removal of these relics, they were likely cloistered in Mainal Cathedral and only taken out of secure storage for a rare handful of special ceremonies like coronations).

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How would he know it wasn't breakable? Blackie didn't tell him anything about it until much later. Also, how would he hide the truth of having this gilded blade the entire time from Titania and others? And technically, it'd significantly weigh him down until after promotion.

Although I do see your point, replicating that cool moment (for the time at least in FE's history) in the duel would have been nice. Since it would be in a way more paralleling the difference between Ike and his father. Greil ran from his past, Ike is willing to confront his father's past.

My bigger problem with Ragnell is how Begnion didn't notice two priceless national treasures had gone missing this entire time. Well I know how the BK got them, but how nobody made a ruckus at least afterwards is a serious question (beforehand I can see strings being pulled to hide the removal of these relics, they were likely cloistered in Mainal Cathedral and only taken out of secure storage for a rare handful of special ceremonies like coronations).

I think begnion had long since accepted the loss until after they found out that Ike and the Black Knight had them, in which case they would move in to retrieve them, until sanaki traded it for Ike's compliance in helping deal with their civil war, though it probably would have been put in a museum or locked in a vault somewhere possibly to never be seen again, so not a major loss in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I’d rather save a busted Binding Blade variant for Legendary Roy or Hartmut. B!Roy got Durandal because it’s an S Rank sword in FE6, the first Divine Weapon he got his hands on as well as a nice reference to FE7 Eliwood. Also, similar to Ephraim, Roy had no talent with magic so no tome. Lilina was the opposite.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're not wrong that Ike was ignorant about it's durability, but it's still frustrating for the player to learn that something useful was right there the whole time yet needlessly kept unobtainable. I have the same gripes with Eliwood getting Durandal yet refusing to use it until the end game. At least there they were trying to pull some kind of story justification (although Hector pulls the same thing without said justification), but in both cases this isn't revealed until after the player gets access to them (or half a chapter before in Ike's case). If it was revealed to the player that Ike had Ragnell but didn't want to use it and the plot made a thing about it then I wouldn't object as much. But the way it's written it's almost like they forgot to include it at all so they pulled an excuse out their ass saying it was there all along. IE, I think if the character has something, then the player controlling that character should have it too.

1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

I’d rather save a busted Binding Blade variant for Legendary Roy or Hartmut. B!Roy got Durandal because it’s an S Rank sword in FE6, the first Divine Weapon he got his hands on as well as a nice reference to FE7 Eliwood. Also, similar to Ephraim, Roy had no talent with magic so no tome. Lilina was the opposite.

Give Eliwood the Legendary Binding Blade, and let regular Roy evolve his Binding Blade to get it. Then for Legendary Roy give him an even more busted Super Legendary Binding Blade exclusive to him. Binding Blades for everyone.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

How silly of you. The developers can do whatever they want with the winners. They’re not bound by anything you said there nor anything I thought up either. I haven’t forgotten anything about CYL, sir. CYL is about giving both things to the winners: an different outfit and a different weapon. 1st place winners get an additional prf passive skill. The combination is up to the developers as they see fit.

Anyway, enough of this. Let’s let the developers do their magic and see what actually happens. 

Mother Nature does whatever the fuck she wants with the weather, but that doesn't mean meteorologists are pulling their forecasts out their ass.

But I see you've run out of good arguments a long time ago (or never really had any in the first place, for that matter), so there's probably no point in continuing this farce.

57 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

B!Roy got Durandal because it’s an S Rank sword in FE6, the first Divine Weapon he got his hands on as well as a nice reference to FE7 Eliwood. Also, similar to Ephraim, Roy had no talent with magic so no tome. Lilina was the opposite.

Roy got Durandal because he's fucking dressed up as Eliwood and Durandal is Eliwood's signature weapon. The "reference to Eliwood" isn't a coincidence. It's the entire fucking point of the unit's design. Don't try acting like it isn't.

Next you're going to tell me that Ike having Urvan was just a coincidence that it was Greil's weapon.

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Maybe camilla with ganglari? I dunno just a thought

If she was in first place, I was hoping she would wield Salt Shaker.

Edited by XRay

58 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Mother Nature does whatever the fuck she wants with the weather, but that doesn't mean meteorologists are pulling their forecasts out their ass.

But I see you've run out of good arguments a long time ago (or never really had any in the first place, for that matter), so there's probably no point in continuing this farce.

Roy got Durandal because he's fucking dressed up as Eliwood and Durandal is Eliwood's signature weapon. The "reference to Eliwood" isn't a coincidence. It's the entire fucking point of the unit's design. Don't try acting like it isn't.

Next you're going to tell me that Ike having Urvan was just a coincidence that it was Greil's weapon.

Now you show your true colors, sir. Bravo. Magnífico. 

“Arguments”? You’re the one whose vocabulary ran out and resorted to swearing and basically mocking my idea of Eliwood possibility taking the Apocalypse tome. It’s not worth it to attempt to reason with the likes of you. Let’s end it at that. 

Back to topic...

While I’d prefer B!Eliwood to be a ranged cavalry unit since those aren’t nearly as saturated as sword units, I wouldn’t mind him as an axe cavalry unit. 

As for Camilla, they could possibly keep her as a flying unit so she could play nicely with the other Camillas, maybe taking a staff to be the healer of Camilla Emblem, take Ganglari and take after Corrin as an infantry unit or...go the much more discussed way of armored axe Camilla. 

Alm never rode a horse but both Mycen and Rudolf did. He could get a prf passive based on Mila’s Turnwheel. Maybe turning it into Alm’s version of Lucina’s Future Sight Assist skill wouldn’t be such a bad idea. 

I'm personally hoping Eliwood is an infantry unit regardless as to what weapon he has because we haven't had infantry Eliwood despite him starting out that way.

Edited by Jotari

16 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Now you show your true colors, sir. Bravo. Magnífico. 

“Arguments”? You’re the one whose vocabulary ran out and resorted to swearing and basically mocking my idea of Eliwood possibility taking the Apocalypse tome. It’s not worth it to attempt to reason with the likes of you. Let’s end it at that. 

Running out of vocabulary is preferable to running out of arguments. You have dropped from contradiction to responding to tone:

Spoiler

1280px-Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreemen

I should start using this diagram more.

45 minutes ago, XRay said:

If she was in first place, I was hoping she would wield Salt Shaker.

Why shake salt out of a salt shaker when you can throw it all over the place like a certain Reigen?

Salt: Staff (because colorless tome doesn't exist). 14 Mt. Damage calculated like other weapons. If foe is salty, +99 damage (ignores Def like Wo Dao, etc.) and foe cannot activate Specials that trigger on unit's attack. After combat, foe and enemies within 2 squares of foe are inflicted with "salty" through their next actions.

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

basically mocking my idea of Eliwood possibility taking the Apocalypse tome.

Didn't you do the same thing about Anna getting her versions merged?

If Brave Eliwood gets a tome, my prediction would Aureola. His mother was a Bishop, and even if it's not a weapon he's ever used, he gives off a chivalrous vibe.

20 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Didn't you do the same thing about Anna getting her versions merged?

If Brave Eliwood gets a tome, my prediction would Aureola. His mother was a Bishop, and even if it's not a weapon he's ever used, he gives off a chivalrous vibe.

Hm? The whole Anna thing is due to how IS has made what started out as a single secret shop keeper into several different people across most FE games. Awakening made them into a tribe of merchants akin to the Nurse Joys. They’re in a very strange grey area. If one Anna were to win, the other Annas would be disqualified, probably including Commander Anna as well, to prevent people from memeing the Annas into winning every year. And they can’t really be merged because most of them are different people. Awakening Anna has a good shot at winning CYL next year. 

Aureola would also make sense. I pushed for Apocalypse since that’s the only other FE6 exclusive weapon that has yet to be claimed and because how B!Lyn and B!Hector got FE6 exclusive weapons. It would make sense for B!Eliwood to take that one but I’d settle for Aureola if that’s what actually happens. Only time will tell. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

44 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

And they can’t really be merged because most of them are different people.

If Eliwood can be a dark mage, why can't the Annas be merged? Is your desire more important than others?

I pushed for Apocalypse since that’s the only other FE6 exclusive weapon that has yet to be claimed and because how B!Lyn and B!Hector got FE6 exclusive weapons.

The Binding Blade is an FE6 exclusive weapon, and would fit with Elbert's "class" like Mulagir and Maltet fitted Hassar's and Uther's classes.

Edited by Baldrick

For the record, IIRC my CYL1 predictions were:

• Roy - Red tome infantry - Forblaze
  • Lucina - Lance infantry - ???
  • Ike - Axe infantry - Urvan
  • Lyn - Bow infantry - Mulagir
6 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Just something to consider.

Brave Micaiah with our first colorless tome. Would it be good? Not a clue. Would be cool though.

The problem with colorless tomes is that unlike breath/tomes/daggers, tomes are established as having separate inheritance pools. So a colorless tome unit could only inherit from other colorless tome units. That seems like more of a mess than it's worth.

And we already have staffs as a colorless counterpart to tomes, anyway.

41 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

If Eliwood can be a dark mage, why can't the Annas be merged? Is your desire more important than others?

Even if agree with you for Eliwood, and that I don't agree with Lord-Zero, I think that Annas can't be merged, because they are not the same. But I don't think that if one Anna wins CYL, the others will be removed, because (again) they are not the same person.

I'm hoping that one Anna (And I hope the fates ones will, even if it's not going to happen) will win next CYL with Marth.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Salt: Staff (because colorless tome doesn't exist). 14 Mt. Damage calculated like other weapons. If foe is salty, +99 damage (ignores Def like Wo Dao, etc.) and foe cannot activate Specials that trigger on unit's attack. After combat, foe and enemies within 2 squares of foe are inflicted with "salty" through their next actions.

And at the start of every turn, enemies with salt take 20 damages?

43 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

The Binding Blade is an FE6 exclusive weapon, and would fit with Elbert's "class" like Mulagir and Maltet fitted Hassar's and Uther's classes.

Joking about Deathly Dagger aside, after that huge long argument, here are my thoughts for Eliwood:

It's possible for Eliwood to be dressed as Roy and have the Binding Blade, but that would leave Eliwood to be an odd one out compared to Lyn and Hector. Perhaps a coincidence, but Lyn's and Hector's Brave versions both reference dead relatives, and I'm inclined to guess that Eliwood will be dressed as Elbert, who is story-wise the most influential relative to him.

As for a weapon, Elbert I believe is depicted in two classes, Paladin and Peer, the latter of which is used for his map sprite after his capture by the Black Fang. Brave Celica is a precedent for being dressed as a different character than the weapon suggests (dressed as herself, but with a weapon referencing Alm), so it's also entirely possible that Eliwood could have a weapon representing his mother Eleanora, who has the class of Bishop and would give him more interesting weapon choices.

Sticking to weapon types available to those classes, Eliwood could get Binding Blade, Durandal, Eckesachs, Maltet, Armads, Aureola, and Saint, if we limit it to the weapons of the Divine Generals. Durandal is unlikely as that's his own Prf weapon, and Maltet and Armads are unlikely as Hector already has both of them.

With Blazing Sword's S-rank weapons, we also have Regal Blade, Rex Hasta, Basilikos, and Luce, though as I already mentioned earlier, it looks like the developers are trying to keep them on "regular" characters. That said, I wouldn't count out Rex Hasta.

Both of Elimine's weapons are actually strong possibilities as neither have yet appeared in the game. However, Eckesachs is also a very interesting possibility, as the young Zephiel is a centerpiece of Blazing Sword's Bern arc, and it would be interesting to see Eliwood dressed as Zephiel, partly because Elbert's outfit looks too similar to Eliwood's normal outfit and is kind of plain. That said, I'd still put Elbert as more likely than Zephiel.

In terms of the cool factor, I'd totally go for Eliwood dressed as Elbert with Aureola as his weapon as a blue tome and Saint in his Assist slot. That is, if Elimine herself doesn't get them first as a Mythic Hero... which she very well might since I'm sure she'd sell really well. I wouldn't mind Eliwood dressed as Elbert with Eckesachs, though. Or Deathly Dagger.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Joking about Deathly Dagger aside, after that huge long argument, here are my thoughts for Eliwood:

It's possible for Eliwood to be dressed as Roy and have the Binding Blade, but that would leave Eliwood to be an odd one out compared to Lyn and Hector. Perhaps a coincidence, but Lyn's and Hector's Brave versions both reference dead relatives, and I'm inclined to guess that Eliwood will be dressed as Elbert, who is story-wise the most influential relative to him.

As for a weapon, Elbert I believe is depicted in two classes, Paladin and Peer, the latter of which is used for his map sprite after his capture by the Black Fang. Brave Celica is a precedent for being dressed as a different character than the weapon suggests (dressed as herself, but with a weapon referencing Alm), so it's also entirely possible that Eliwood could have a weapon representing his mother Eleanora, who has the class of Bishop and would give him more interesting weapon choices.

Sticking to weapon types available to those classes, Eliwood could get Binding Blade, Durandal, Eckesachs, Maltet, Armads, Aureola, and Saint, if we limit it to the weapons of the Divine Generals. Durandal is unlikely as that's his own Prf weapon, and Maltet and Armads are unlikely as Hector already has both of them.

With Blazing Sword's S-rank weapons, we also have Regal Blade, Rex Hasta, Basilikos, and Luce, though as I already mentioned earlier, it looks like the developers are trying to keep them on "regular" characters. That said, I wouldn't count out Rex Hasta.

Both of Elimine's weapons are actually strong possibilities as neither have yet appeared in the game. However, Eckesachs is also a very interesting possibility, as the young Zephiel is a centerpiece of Blazing Sword's Bern arc, and it would be interesting to see Eliwood dressed as Zephiel, partly because Elbert's outfit looks too similar to Eliwood's normal outfit and is kind of plain. That said, I'd still put Elbert as more likely than Zephiel.

In terms of the cool factor, I'd totally go for Eliwood dressed as Elbert with Aureola as his weapon as a blue tome and Saint in his Assist slot. That is, if Elimine herself doesn't get them first as a Mythic Hero... which she very well might since I'm sure she'd sell really well. I wouldn't mind Eliwood dressed as Elbert with Eckesachs, though. Or Deathly Dagger.

This is a good way of putting it. I think if not for it already being on a CYL character, the most suitable alt weapon for Eliwood would be Maltet, but it's taken. Of the 8 "main" FE6 legendary weapons not in the game yet, Aureola seems like the most fitting, followed by Saint. Apocalypse is the least suitable weapon of the 8 for him, even counting ones that are already taken.

16 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

Even if agree with you for Eliwood, and that I don't agree with Lord-Zero, I think that Annas can't be merged, because they are not the same. But I don't think that if one Anna wins CYL, the others will be removed, because (again) they are not the same person.

I'm hoping that one Anna (And I hope the fates ones will, even if it's not going to happen) will win next CYL with Marth.

I feel the same way about Anna. Granted she could win CYL twice, but it's harder for her to win CYL once so it balances out. Anyway, I don't think most people would even vote for her if she already has a Brave alt.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If not Elbert, I think Eliwood could cosplay as Marcus. A Silver Lance++ would be too generic for a Brave unit, so he could maybe get Rex Hasta or an evolved version of Maltet.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Dead relatives? Well Ninan is dead in Binding Blade. So Dancer Dress Eliwood wielding Aureola!

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

You're not wrong that Ike was ignorant about it's durability, but it's still frustrating for the player to learn that something useful was right there the whole time yet needlessly kept unobtainable. I have the same gripes with Eliwood getting Durandal yet refusing to use it until the end game. At least there they were trying to pull some kind of story justification (although Hector pulls the same thing without said justification), but in both cases this isn't revealed until after the player gets access to them (or half a chapter before in Ike's case). If it was revealed to the player that Ike had Ragnell but didn't want to use it and the plot made a thing about it then I wouldn't object as much. But the way it's written it's almost like they forgot to include it at all so they pulled an excuse out their ass saying it was there all along. IE, I think if the character has something, then the player controlling that character should have it too.

For the whole statement, again, I can see what you mean.

For the bolded, never really thought about Armads before, but that is true. Though honestly, Hector wouldn't benefit too much from another 3 chapters of Armads- Sands of Time is all Lolchers so Hand Axes triumph here, and Value of Life would only benefit much from it on Normal, since Hard is Berserkersx50. As for Durandal, it is no major loss that Eliwood can't swing his portable bench for a few more battles. Both are rather lacking lord ultimates.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Then for Legendary Roy give him an even more busted Super Legendary Binding Blade exclusive to him.

I'd shorten the name to Flare Blade, since Roy's true power doesn't rest in Elibe.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Dead relatives? Well Ninan is dead in Binding Blade. So Dancer Dress Eliwood wielding Aureola!

Mermaid gown Eliwood I approve of, and we should bind his feet while we're at it, for I like how that completes the image.

No Aureola though, instead, pull a reverse Branded situation and have him after copulation receive dragon powers. Consider it the side effect of her having spent the past centuries beyond the Dragon's Gate.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yet she can't use it in Gaiden if Alm trades it to her asfaik. Granted that's probably gameplay story segregation, if not then it makes Rudolf a massive troll by gifting the Sophian royal family a weapon they can't use.

Binding Blade is one of the most broken weapons in the entire franchise, so it’s baffling how pitiful it is in Heroes. HOWEVER, it’s possible to give Eliwood not the forged a Binding Blade, but a stronger version of it, similar with Durandal with Blazing Durandal, Naga with Divine Naga to mention a few

11 hours ago, Jave said:

Still hoping for Green Tome Micaiah that has her traditional dual effectiveness, so Miccy Emblem can be the ultimate Horse/Armor killer.

I think it’s more likely for her to be staff colorless, to her being descendant with Lehran. She could use his exclusive weapon as well, but that would keep her blue