Choose Your Legends 3

Alistair

5 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Ah nice, enjoying work then I guess?

I have to admit, I am pretty surprised that Lif, Surtr, and Thrasir are so high up. Life and Thrasir have less character than Laevatein or the Nifl sisters did upon their introductions, and we know for sure we'll get them once book three ends. Surtr's just odd. I'm also kind of bummed we can't see past top 20. I want to know where the hell Tormod and Rath are.

I am! Well, I hope I will, it's a bit of a career shift if you can call it that. 

Laevatein had pretty much just said "I don't know" by the time of CYL2 and she still reached, what, #18 or higher? These jelly skelly dudes have different designs and an edgy vibe in combination with recency bias, so it was to be expected to see them in top 20, but seeing Líf in the top 10 was a shock. Seeing Surtr in the top 20, and Selkie remaining in the top 20 while F!Morgan dropped was more painful though.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

From what I’ve seen so far, many of the Alm/Marth supporters are jumping to the female side to bump up F!Robin and Micaiah in an attempt to dethrone Camilla at all costs. Alm overtaking Marth is a huge achievement by itself especially when the Marth votes have been combined this time. 

The biggest “loser” would be Chrom. Not even Smash is enough since most of the Smash fans moved to support F!Robin. 

That’s what may be happening here (although I don’t remember any of SF users who vote Marth/Alm moving to the female side), but remember that SF is just a small community, as is Reddit and Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

I am! Well, I hope I will, it's a bit of a career shift if you can call it that. 

Laevatein had pretty much just said "I don't know" by the time of CYL2 and she still reached, what, #18 or higher? These jelly skelly dudes have different designs and an edgy vibe in combination with recency bias, so it was to be expected to see them in top 20, but seeing Líf in the top 10 was a shock. Seeing Surtr in the top 20, and Selkie remaining in the top 20 while F!Morgan dropped was more painful though.

Huh, makes sense.

Selkie might've stayed in top 20 because she's not in the game yet, while f!Morgan exists as a blue tome flier (a pretty good class). Also, I don't know why but Lif looks like he's from Mirage FE (whatever that thing was called), and Thrasir looks like a Miraculous Ladybug character.

9 minutes ago, redlight said:

It's just that from their point of view there are plenty of Camilla's already. 4 seems to be last line to what sparks controversy based on reactions across multiple platforms. Might be because 4 is the limit of members in a team. Can't say for certain really

I don't think any sparks flew when we got a fifth Tiki (well I didn't see any, I'm sure someone complained). Of course they sort of saved the best for last on that one by finally delivering on the Book 2 Divine Dragon design. If one of the Summer Tikis had been the fifth Tiki we got it probably would have been less favorable (and OG Child Tiki could only have been first).

13 minutes ago, redlight said:

It's just that from their point of view there are plenty of Camilla's already. 4 seems to be last line to what sparks controversy based on reactions across multiple platforms. Might be because 4 is the limit of members in a team. Can't say for certain really

But still, what is selfish about voting for your favourite? I think it's more selfish to call other people who vote for Camilla selfish 

1 hour ago, Javi Blizz said:

I think the biggest loser from this mid-term is Eliwood. Knowing that Marth is second will make sleeper Marth voters to vote him, making Eliwood unable to reach top

Actually Eliwood might be the biggest winner of them all. I don't think anyone expected Eliwood to get so far. He's in a really awkward position where he's overshadowed by his co lord and his son for sharing the design but lacking the Smash appeal. And while Eliwood won't win he at least got to show everyone that he's able to compete which might make IS throw an alt his way. 

49 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Well you're not wrong about that but as someone who likes Tine and Tailtiu a lot I just can't ever give the guy (or his wife) a vote.

I dunno. Me liking Tailtiu so much helps Hilda be a much more effective villain and the reason I like Hilda is because she's a very good hatable villain. She'd be much more tame without her awful history towards her family members. 

You know I’ve always wondered why Micaiah is called a mary sue. Sure she has special powers and is actually royalty, but other than I really don’t see it. Plus, if you read between the lines you see that Micaiah is actually an rather cynical person, probably the cynical of the FE lords. And isn’t the Daein’s people reverence for Micaiah portrayed as rather creepy or at least disturbing? Takes the bridge chapter for example. And she’s clearly uncomfortable with her own popularity in Daein.

Also, this hate towards Camilla is actually making me appreciate the character much more. Not out spite, because it made me look into her character and now I really like her.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't think any sparks flew when we got a fifth Tiki (well I didn't see any, I'm sure someone complained). Of course they sort of saved the best for last on that one by finally delivering on the Book 2 Divine Dragon design. If one of the Summer Tikis had been the fifth Tiki we got it probably would have been less favorable (and OG Child Tiki could only have been first).

Tiki, the Robins, and Corrins are in that gray area regarding "justified alts". Between young Tiki and adult Tiki, which one is the alt? You can't really justify either one as being the "main" representation of Tiki, and they are in two different continuities. Likewise, male Robin and Corrin and female Robin and Corrin are justified alts because both exist and are equally canon, and making one the default will piss off fans of the other gender.

Although Legendary Tiki is the fifth Tiki alt, it's also the third young Tiki alt. Which is still more than most people have, but Camilla is just Camilla, just to pick an example. She doesn't come in male or female versions, nor is she separated by a long span of time, or even a game with a sequel/prequel like Ike or Marth. So Tiki falls under a different umbrella.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Actually Eliwood might be the biggest winner of them all. I don't think anyone expected Eliwood to get so far. He's in a really awkward position where he's overshadowed by his co lord and his son for sharing the design but lacking the Smash appeal. And while Eliwood won't win he at least got to show everyone that he's able to compete which might make IS throw an alt his way. 

Sure, you’re right about that point. I was commenting exclusively about CYL top 2, but as you said, other than that it’s a win for him

6 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

That’s what may be happening here (although I don’t remember any of SF users who vote Marth/Alm moving to the female side), but remember that SF is just a small community, as is Reddit and Twitter.

I’m aware that these communities are small. I was also talking about the Japanese as well. Legendary Marth being as good as he is (in both art and game performance) certainly affected his CYL performance to a degree. There’s more panic on the female side. 

2 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

Sure, you’re right about that point. I was commenting exclusively about CYL top 2, but as you said, other than that it’s a win for him

I think that knowing he has so much support will convince more people to vote for him to push him up to number 2 

4 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

You know I’ve always wondered why Micaiah is called a mary sue. Sure she has special powers and is actually royalty, but other than I really don’t see it. Plus, if you read between the lines you see that Micaiah is actually an rather cynical person, probably the cynical of the FE lords. And isn’t the Daein’s people reverence for Micaiah portrayed as rather creepy or at least disturbing? Takes the bridge chapter for example. And she’s clearly uncomfortable with her own popularity in Daein.

Also, this hate towards Camilla is actually making me appreciate the character much more. Not out spite, because it made me look into her character and now I really like her.

There's also the fact that a Mary sue tends to be praised and worshipped by everyone which really isn't the case with Michy. Sothe is never afraid to call her out and Ike literally says she's crazy at one point. Michy has her devoted fans in the Daein army but she never quite gets a pass on things. 

29 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

But still, what is selfish about voting for your favourite? I think it's more selfish to call other people who vote for Camilla selfish 

It's absolutely selfish to vote for Camella when she has six units already. It's also selfish to tell other people not to do that because they don't personally want her. But being selfish isn't inherently a bad thing. People should have desires they want and pursue above the desires and opinions of others. No one person's want for a character is any greater than another's. This is a poll asking for someone's opinion which could net tangible gain, it's all selfish. Being selfish isn't wrong, being obnoxious, dismissive and judgmental is.

26 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Why has this topic been brought up again? We've literally had multiple threads talking about Micaiah's Mary Sue tendencies and barely anyone (even among her detractors) think she is.

24 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Tiki, the Robins, and Corrins are in that gray area regarding "justified alts". Between young Tiki and adult Tiki, which one is the alt? You can't really justify either one as being the "main" representation of Tiki, and they are in two different continuities. Likewise, male Robin and Corrin and female Robin and Corrin are justified alts because both exist and are equally canon, and making one the default will piss off fans of the other gender.

Although Legendary Tiki is the fifth Tiki alt, it's also the third young Tiki alt. Which is still more than most people have, but Camilla is just Camilla, just to pick an example. She doesn't come in male or female versions, nor is she separated by a long span of time, or even a game with a sequel/prequel like Ike or Marth. So Tiki falls under a different umbrella.

Yet. Give it time.

Seriously though I get your point. Have to wait for two more Young Tikis before people will complain.

Edited by Jotari

25 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There's also the fact that a Mary sue tends to be praised and worshipped by everyone which really isn't the case with Michy. Sothe is never afraid to call her out and Ike literally says she's crazy at one point. Michy has her devoted fans in the Daein army but she never quite gets a pass on things. 

Plus there was that strategy of pouring oil and setting the Sanaki and her group of Pegasus Knight bodyguards. It gets worse and really dark, that despite Micaiah not knowing at the time, was going to set ablaze her 13 year old sister. Plus, did they ever say whose idea was the oil plan? For all we know, it could have been Micaiah’s idea. 

And @Jotari the reason this was brought up again was because I believe someone was calling her a mary sue earlier in the topic.

EDIT: What they actually said is that they dislike Micaiah becomes of how super special she was made out to be because of her powers, hair color, lineage, immediate Daein worship on her and so on. That’s pretty much calling her a mary sue.

Edited by Water Mage

The thing which disappoints me a little is the fact that a lot of people on twitter and reddit explicitly said they voted for Camilla to spread even more salt in the community. Why would you vote for a character just to piss somebody off instead of using this chance to show who your favourite characters are? I find it very silly and childish honestly. It's just a mobile game, if Camilla gets her seventh alt there's surely going to be a lot if disappointment at the begginning, but it's going to disappear in a few days... What's the gain in voting for her for the salt?

44 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Selkie might've stayed in top 20 because she's not in the game yet, while f!Morgan exists as a blue tome flier (a pretty good class). Also, I don't know why but Lif looks like he's from Mirage FE (whatever that thing was called), and Thrasir looks like a Miraculous Ladybug character.

Well I'm glad that Keaton and Kaden dropped but where is this love for Selkie coming from? She's by far the most popular Fates kid in CYL but I never really see anyone talk about her, draw her, or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

The thing which disappoints me a little is the fact that a lot of people on twitter and reddit explicitly said they voted for Camilla to spread even more salt in the community. Why would you vote for a character just to piss somebody off instead of using this chance to show who your favourite characters are? I find it very silly and childish honestly. It's just a mobile game, if Camilla gets her seventh alt there's surely going to be a lot if disappointment at the begginning, but it's going to disappear in a few days... What's the gain in voting for her for the salt?

Between her actual fanbase and the meme voters, she's unstoppable. Plus, it feels nice to be on the winning team I guess. I'll count it as a win if Lyon reaches the top 100.

So my overall thought on the results are fairly positive so far. 

There's nothing to complain about for the potential Brave males. Alm finally gets his due as he should and Marth is getting the victory that the vote splitting denied him of last times. But the biggest winner of all has got to be Eliwood. Eliwood has a very shaky status with both his more distinctive co lord and his son overshadowing him. I don't think anyone expected Elidwood to do so well but while he won't win he proved that he's at least present in the competition which is a big win for him. 

The high ranking of Lif baffles me considering he's yet to do a single thing of note and I strongly suspect Surtr owes his high place solely due to the meme worthiness of his broken stats. Out if all oc's its Alfonse who's high rise is most deserving for similar reasons as Eliwood. The Fonse has been dismissed as boring, a benchboy and bland but he's grown out to be the most developed and nuanced Heroes character. Book II showed how Alfonse intellect could be usefull and now we're delving into his daddy issues. Yeah I'd say he deserves his high ranking. 

Seliph also isn't to shabby especially since Heroes decided to suck everything interesting out of him. Maybe it will ensure we'll one day see the shy girly looking Seliph with his epic hair. 

The girls are much more of a mixed bag and Nino not being in the top 10 dissapoints me. Michy ranking seconds does me a lot of good. I'm old enough to remember how divisive she used to be back in the day but I guess Corrin showed everyone how nuanced she was. That said she's still in a position where she can lose her spot. Two Anna's in the top 10 seems...weird. I thought people found the Greed gimmick overplayed and Heroes Anna to have faded into the background. 

But the biggest elephant in the room is Camilla. I really don't like her getting a new alt. I like her well enough but a side character getting four alts was already far more than she deserved and it only got more annoying from there. I was happy for her fans when she got an alt, a second alt, a third alt but we're reaching a point where Camilla will single handily outnumber the Tracian cast. And its a bit annoying that Eirika seemingly missed out due to a single poorly timed alt but 6 alts don't put a dent in Camilla's chances. A Brave Camilla is different from the hotspring/Adrift one because this time people really are asking for one, but after Brave Camilla IS really must retire the character from all sort of alts. Not even main characters deserve eight characters and a side character definitely doesn't.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

9 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

That sounds really disappointing. I am thinking now about giving Camilla a vote, but only because she is one of the few in the top rankings I like.
Mia, Nephenee and Loki are the only 3 I might consider. And they seem to be far off.

But voting for a Character just to give the salt...

I always thought that CYL has a slim chance to show who you like and they could maybe consider. Until now I just gave Rinkah my votes, but I also think that some will only vote for Corrin now to get Camilla out of top 2. And I admit it, I'd rather want to see another Camilla alt than Corrin. 

Edited by Stroud

5 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

The fact that people vote her to spread salt is not something I like. They could use their vote for their favorite characters like you said. 

Another problem is that Camilla's haters do the same.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

Between her actual fanbase and the meme voters, she's unstoppable. Plus, it feels nice to be on the winning team I guess. I'll count it as a win if Lyon reaches the top 100.

I'm seeing too many people that stop voting Camilla. I really think that she will lose. But if she wins, next year I will vote Lyon. (If I don't, you can tell me to do it ^^).

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why has this topic been brought up again? We've literally had multiple threads talking about Micaiah's Mary Sue tendencies and barely anyone (even among her detractors) think she is.

It’s because someone her said they disliked her because of how super special she was made out to be because of her powers, hair color, lineage, immediate Daein worship on her, which is pretty much calling her. But I will admit I got wrong, the person never said the word marysue.

I think because I was so used to defend Micaiah years ago that I sorta acted automatically, if you get what I mean.

Edited by Water Mage

At the end of the day, people should just vote for who they like. Don't think about "the community" or whatever, if you like a character that has quite a few alts, then vote for them. I love Marth, and I acknowledge he has three variations already, but do I care? No, not at all. It's not going to stop me from voting for him.

I understand that people are mad about Camilla, I love Camilla but even I rolled my eyes when I saw her in the Hostile Springs trailer, but if she gets a Brave alt, it wouldn't bother me because it was chosen by a large number of people. Just accept that she has fans who want her to get a powerful alt that has more care put into it than a regular alt. It really shouldn't bother you. After all, there's only one Camilla in the permanent summoning pool.

2 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

I'm seeing too many people that stop voting Camilla. I really think that she will lose. But if she wins, next year I will vote Lyon. (If I don't, you can tell me to do it ^^).

I don't think so. I think the heated atmosphere is enough to make sure she's at the forefront of people's minds. It IS true that we don't know if she's ahead by, like, one vote or several thousand, so if people slack off Micaiah could swoop in, but I believe she'll win.

Also, good. More votes for best boy.

4 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

I was invested into Rinkah. But I will support you and Camilla at this point. xD
Rinkah already has 3 votes. And as I said. I rather want to have Brave Camilla than Brave Corrin. 

For Rinkah I just hope that she does not get kicked out of top 100.

I also warn from choosing Corrin.
Because Corrin/Camilla is worse than Micaiah/Camilla.

Edited by Stroud