Choose Your Legends 3

Alistair

1 minute ago, bottlegnomes said:

You're personally interacting with them rather than watching them which basically always results in stronger feelings, positive or negative. And that's kind of the thing about the internet and especially stuff like this. People are more likely to go with the characters they have strong positive feelings towards than the ones they have middling positive feelings towards. For a complete asspull of numbers, say 50% of the fans like Elincia and 15% love her (included in the 50%). Miccy has 35% of fans that like her, but 25% that love her for whatever reason, she had a cool combat model, they liked getting to train her, she  turned out well for them through RNG luck, she was a clutch healer in part 2, etc. The thing is, Micaiah is probably going to come out on top since that 35% of Elincia's fans are liable to go elsewhere for characters they more actively like while Miccy is only going to lose 10%.

Heck, this is probably a big chunk of why lords are almost always at the top. They're the one set of characters that, in addition to getting the most plot time, the player is basically forced to use for a significant part of the game, unless everyone hates you because you're Eliwood and just a standup guy instead of attention-grabbing like your comrades v_v.

Yeah, this does make some sense. Maybe when Tellius gets re-released, which it really needs to be imo, Elincia will get a nice popularity boost. Who knows, since a certain Thracia horse mage went from an unknown nobody to super popular practically overnight thanks to Heroes. :P

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Husbando is a thing, but the vast majority of the playerbase are male.  Therefore the vast majority of the playerbase are attracted to females.  So whatever few people here or there that are into guys aren't going to impact these polls hardly at all.  Bruno is in cause he is an OC (of which many have made the list) who is still missing despite being around since the beginning of game.  

Majority, sure. Vast majority? Definitely not. You can leaf through most any Serenes thread to dispel that notion, though I remember reading a study on the gender breakdown of various video game genres (and there was a Fire Emblem as one of the games studied... Fates I believe) which suggested something around 2:1.

I highly doubt there will be another success story like Reinhardt, and that's partly because of IS. Reinhardt probably wasn't made to be as busted as he is, he just turned out to be so once skill inheritance allowed him to get skills like death blow 3. Also, more importantly, he was dropped to 4-star after his banner, meaning that he was a lot easier than his 5-star locked sister to get. He's been further dropped to 3-4 star, which means he's a lot more common.

Now, take someone like Karla, who wasn't really the most popular before Heroes. She didn't have the same reaction as Reinhardt, because Karla was purposefully made to be busted and locked to 5-star. As long as IS keeps on making purposefully powerful characters and keeping them locked to 5-star, they will never be another Reinhardt. And the 4-stars they have demoted just haven't had as much of an impact as he has.

Part of this might be because IS just seems allergic to taking risks anymore with Heroes. If Reinhardt hadn't been added so early into the game, I highly doubt he would've been added at all at this rate.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this does make some sense. Maybe when Tellius gets re-released, which it really needs to be imo, Elincia will get a nice popularity boost. Who knows, since a certain Thracia horse mage went from an unknown nobody to super popular practically overnight thanks to Heroes. :P

That horse mage happened to be into right class and with a most unusual "Brave" tome. Then fans voting in Lyndis Khan created a most broken duo of terror. Elincia was given a good weapon, but it is one range, and a very common weapon type. Fliers also take some creativity to harness their full power.

Reinhardt was busted in a way no other unit has ever been IMO. He may not be the best any more (though the argument that he still is has some merit; he certainly puts in work like few others in the hardest content for me), but his dominance in mid 2017 was unreal and will likely never again be matched, because he did what he did with 5 threat range. Units like Karla can't compare to that, and wouldn't even if she had been downgraded to 3*.

25 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Therefore the vast majority of the playerbase are attracted to females. 

Curiously, in ye olden days, back in 2003-2004, they did a survey in Japan with an average age of 17.3 and a gender split of 64% male 36% female. The survey ranked FE6 and FE7.

For the top 10 of each game, they provided the percentage of votes each gender contributed to a given character. For a character to be liked equally between men and women, I would think, if I have it right, the women should contribute 36% of the vote and men 64% for a character to be liked evenly among the genders, a shift either way from this would indicate a gender favoritism/dislike towards a certain character.

Looking at the data, Nino at according to this survey was somewhat more liked by men, she was 72.5 vs. 27.5 for the vote composition. Matthew received 50.3% of his vote from women, indicating he was something a heart stealing stud back in the day. Lyn was 78.5% male, Lloyd 70.3% male, Hector 44.2% female, Lucius 63.7% female, Canas was 47.8% female, Rebecca 77.9% male. Eliwood was liked pretty much equally by the genders, as was Raven.

For FE6, Roy was 80.7% male, Rutger (the number 2 of Binding) was 74.7% male, Lilina 72.8% male, Raigh 68.8% female, Fir 81.5% male, Shanna 77.9% male, Lugh 43.1% female, Wolt 56.7% female, Deke 79% male, Sophia 87.5% male.

After the top 10, they go with imprecise fractions out of fifths instead of percentages for the next 20 characters. Ursula is listed as 5/5 male and 1/5 female, Fir has 4/5 male and 2/5 female, so her vote had to be more male than 81.5% at least.

Just throwing that out there. May it help or hurt one's arguments to whatever extent such a dated survey can.

40 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

If it was a good group of friends then each person would get their choice once a week.  So yeah they would end up eating at McDonalds a lot, but not every time.  This means that the other people get their choice even if it is only once in awhile.  

But then any given week there'd be between 4 and 6 disappointed people.

39 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Me too, me too. I was really fond of the idea of Elincia joining a chapter or two after she first showed up when I found out it'd been an idea during development.

22 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Part of this might be because IS just seems allergic to taking risks anymore with Heroes. If Reinhardt hadn't been added so early into the game, I highly doubt he would've been added at all at

As much as I love Rein, I'm fairly certain we can all agree he was a mistake. A single unit shouldn't necessitate 6-8 months of clean-up to get in semi-check.

1 minute ago, bottlegnomes said:

As much as I love Rein, I'm fairly certain we can all agree he was a mistake. A single unit shouldn't necessitate 6-8 months of clean-up to get in semi-check.

I wonder if Reinhardt would've been less of a dominant force in the game if his attack stat were lower.

9 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I wonder if Reinhardt would've been less of a dominant force in the game if his attack stat were lower.

Oh absolutely. Olwen is an extreme example of that. If they'd made him back then how they think now, my guess is he would've had about 29 attack and been 5* locked. Still would've been good, but that's basically a bane and not everyone and their mother would've had him.

Edit: Or wait, sorry, did you mean still 4*? I doubt Olwen would've been broken at 4*, but I'm not sure how much they could've maintained the basic theme of Rein's statline and made him 4* and not been really good.

Edited by bottlegnomes

17 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

But then any given week there'd be between 4 and 6 disappointed people.

It's much worse with just going to McD all the time since only 3 people want it, and the rest will be disappointed.   Even the ones okay with it will get sick of it, every time the same thing.  It isn't like hey we are getting Camilla for the first time.  Or the 2nd time, or the 5th time.  That kind of redundancy will leave only the diehard fans satisfied.  

On the exact numbers, I think gacha games are much more male orientated for the most part so it is likely an even larger proportion of males to females than the main series.  I mean we can see with the silly butt boob poses, exploding swimsuits, lines like massage me baby and the female to male ratio on these sexy banners.  Like where is the groom banner?  Nowhere to be found we got 2 bride banners in a row.   In addition usually the male is demoted and has inferior skills, and the much larger % of females in the 5 star pool while males are mostly regulated to low rarity.  

Edited by Lewyn

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Maybe when Tellius gets re-released, which it really needs to be imo, Elincia will get a nice popularity boost.

Hopefully it's not too late to press Nintendo for Gamecube and Wii rereleases. So many gems on those systems continue to be rarities for collectors to get, hell I remember seeing Radiant Dawn in a Gamestop for 60 or 70 USD used, more than even an XB1, PS4, or Switch game new.

If Earthbound can get the rerelease treatment, I think Fire Emblem should as well, since so many games, especially from Japan, were released before it became complete waifu bait.

Edited by Xenomata

My next vote is going towards a different kind of cuteness - Lugh.  I want the brothers to be reunited!

EDIT: Hoo, spelling~!

Edited by eclipse

I voted Kempf today.

I don't even know why. I don't actually like him, but I would prefer he be added into the game (preferably as a GHB) the next time Thracia gets characters.

Last two votes go to Tormod and Rath again unless something changes my mind.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

My next vote is going towards a different kind of cuteness - Lleu.  I want the brothers to be reunited!

I wonder if IS has already planned for his entry with the upcoming BB banner, it'd make my symbolic vote feel a little misled if he was. And didn't he score quite well last time? But then again, young boys don't seem popular with FEH. Young girls yes, boys, not so much. It was him or Melady I was going to give my symbolic FE6 vote for, but both seem too likely to get in soon. But I can't be sure. I won't be so personally happy if Lugh/Lleu, isn't on the FE6 banner, even if I'd be happy with the principle of it.

Perhaps I can throw it to Igrene- I liked her Astolfo support. I'm just really overthinking this though.

Just put in one vote for Micaiah. Hopefully she can stay in the top 2, though I won't mind if Robin overtakes her. Honestly I don't really care who wins at this point, I'd be okay with any combination of the midterm's top 3 units on either side.

Gonna vote Ranulf for the last two days, then hope he places high.

1 minute ago, bethany81707 said:

Florina today. To whoever voted Tormod (I'm sure one of you did), any particular preference? I'm thinking of going with PoR.

I voted Tormod. If his votes are being pooled together, I don't think it really matters, but I went with PoR!Tormod because it was the only one that didn't give me an error on the first day.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wonder if IS has already planned for his entry with the upcoming BB banner, it'd make my symbolic vote feel a little misled if he was. And didn't he score quite well last time? But then again, young boys don't seem popular with FEH. Young girls yes, boys, not so much. It was him or Melady I was going to give my symbolic FE6 vote for, but both seem too likely to get in soon. But I can't be sure. I won't be so personally happy if Lugh/Lleu, isn't on the FE6 banner, even if I'd be happy with the principle of it.

Perhaps I can throw it to Igrene- I liked her Astolfo support. I'm just really overthinking this though.

I vote with my heart!  If he's already going to be released, then let that tell IS that they made the right choice!

If Lugh is released, I hope that Raigh gets a personal tome, and that it's awesome.  Let the brothers rule!

1 hour ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

That horse mage happened to be into right class and with a most unusual "Brave" tome. Then fans voting in Lyndis Khan created a most broken duo of terror. Elincia was given a good weapon, but it is one range, and a very common weapon type. Fliers also take some creativity to harness their full power.

I wasn't even talking about Heroes for Elincia in that post, though? I specifically said her OWN games could give her a popularity boost if re-released because more players would get to know her and her story.

36 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Hopefully it's not too late to press Nintendo for Gamecube and Wii rereleases. So many gems on those systems continue to be rarities for collectors to get, hell I remember seeing Radiant Dawn in a Gamestop for 60 or 70 USD used, more than even an XB1, PS4, or Switch game new.

If Earthbound can get the rerelease treatment, I think Fire Emblem should as well, since so many games, especially from Japan, were released before it became complete waifu bait.

Yeah, and Tellius is probably the hardest FE saga to get your hands on that isn't Japan-exclusive. And it may even still be that hard to get in Japan too.