Choose Your Legends 3

Alistair

Voted for Micaiah today. Tomorrow is the last day, and I don't know who to give it to. I'm thinking of another underdog vote, like Lissa or Skrimir, just to spead the love around.

Do you guys expect any major changes in the top 20? I expect pretty few changes in the top 10 at the very least, but I can see Surtr rising a few ranks due to people finding his high position to be hilarious. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Eirika wielding dark magic is basically pulled from two possible things: the dark magic glitch and the endgame of Sacred Stones, where she was feeling the temptation of bringing Lyon and everyone killed in the war back. An interesting what-if scenario in which she could not just let Lyon dying go and fell for the Demon King's false promises just like Lyon did.

I get the argument but it is quite a stretch still.  

4chan I've heard of it but never saw it til now.  Wow so essentially the general consensus there is if you don't have a big tiddy big sister fetish you are gay (they use that f word instead of gay).  

On that note, Camilla is my favorite Fates royal and a character I like cause of her other elements.  I HATE the pandering elements and the big sister fetish thing is disgusting, do people really want to screw their own sisters?  It seems every Camilla in the game focuses on this, it treats the player as if they are Corrin.  Oh don't blush, massage me, etc etc. I think that element is what generates a lot of the hate and makes people not notice the other aspects of the character.  What about the fierce almost bloodlust crazy in battle axe general, or her traumatic upbringing and emotional issues?   What about that she is a strong confident woman who rides a dragon, wields a weapon usually reserved for men (axe) and on top of that can burn you to cinders with magic?  

I assume those very pandering elements are what are drawing the whales to spend tons of money though.  We will likely get succubus Camilla for Halloween.

4 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

So anyone have any opinions on Renning, Galzus, or Mareeta as my final pick?

I think Mareeta votes are one of the best ways to push for another FE5 banner right now, so she's my suggestion.

Go for Mareeta. The highest she gets, the highest the chance we'll get a Thracia banner this year since she's the most popular Thracia character not yet in the game.

In my opinion. 

(Did they split Renning and Bertram?)

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think Mareeta votes are one of the best ways to push for another FE5 banner right now, so she's my suggestion.

5 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Go for Mareeta. The highest she gets, the highest the chance we'll get a Thracia banner this year since she's the most popular Thracia character not yet in the game.

In my opinion.

Thanks, er'body. That's kind of what I was thinking so I was leaning their way. My only slight concern there was that Mareeta might be a sort of Alm/Celica situation where this unit is popular, but the game isn't. I thought Galzus might show more love for FE5 as a whole. But he's probably barely getting any votes anyway, so Mareeta might be a better source to show that there are wanted Thracia units outside Leif and Reinhardt.

5 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Far as I know yeah.

Kind of unrelated, I actually like Bertram's armor better, but not a fan of masks in general, so my ideal outfit for him would be Renning wearing Bertram's armor without the mask and wielding Amiti. That'd be so baller.

Edited by bottlegnomes

5 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I agree Aerete should make more sense, but like I said, I think they have her slated for something else so they may have not wanted to use her for it. So they picked out some other characters to go with the theme. At least they did something unique with Camilla by going with the alternate personality thing. They put more effort into that banner's theme than usual, even if seeing more alts kind of took most of the attention from people.

I know that feeling! IF Camilla does still win this CYL, will you save up for her or just take the free pick? I may actually try to save up orbs for the first time to +10 a 5* unit. It would be really hard to save through all the summer banners, but I might still try. 

I highly doubt they have Arete slated for something else. She's just not that important overall and there's a lot .ore suitable characters for a GHB even I Fates alone. Unless they intend to follow up Adrift with some kind of Adrift 2 at some point.

32 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I think pretty much anyone with a different identity are treated as separate from the true one (which is why we have both Zelgius and Black Knight in the top 20 males). Also, Elibe characters who appear in both 6 and 7 are still being considered separate (yes, including Eliwood).

15 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I think pretty much anyone with a different identity are treated as separate from the true one (which is why we have both Zelgius and Black Knight in the top 20 males). Also, Elibe characters who appear in both 6 and 7 are still being considered separate (yes, including Eliwood).

This makes me curious about something:

As of the midway results, BK is the 14th place male and Zelgius is the 20th. If we add up the votes of the 14th and 20th place males on CYL2 (Leo and Soren, with 7,162 and 4,753 votes) we get 11,915 votes, enough to be 7th place male and 17th place overall.

(This is with counting all other votes separately, as they were on CYL2, rather than combining ones like Marth. Which does make it even less meaningful. Still, I'm curious what the BK/Zelgius total vote count and effective ranking will be.)

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I get the argument but it is quite a stretch still.  

4chan I've heard of it but never saw it til now.  Wow so essentially the general consensus there is if you don't have a big tiddy big sister fetish you are gay (they use that f word instead of gay).  

On that note, Camilla is my favorite Fates royal and a character I like cause of her other elements.  I HATE the pandering elements and the big sister fetish thing is disgusting, do people really want to screw their own sisters?  It seems every Camilla in the game focuses on this, it treats the player as if they are Corrin.  Oh don't blush, massage me, etc etc. I think that element is what generates a lot of the hate and makes people not notice the other aspects of the character.  What about the fierce almost bloodlust crazy in battle axe general, or her traumatic upbringing and emotional issues?   What about that she is a strong confident woman who rides a dragon, wields a weapon usually reserved for men (axe) and on top of that can burn you to cinders with magic?  

I assume those very pandering elements are what are drawing the whales to spend tons of money though.  We will likely get succubus Camilla for Halloween.

Her attire of choice and the fact that Fates has bad writing doesn’t help ;):

21 minutes ago, Midnox said:

Her attire of choice and the fact that Fates has bad writing doesn’t help ;):

I think a lot of Fates bad writing can be blamed on Corrin.  Part of the reason I am very much against avatar characters.  All the characters around him have to worship him/her like a god and want to sleep with him/her just cause it represents the player.  

Camilla's attire yes obviously very much not for practicality but just to show off her assets for the otaku playerbase.  She could have been attractive and have some nice platemail armor, or if going lighter chainmail and such but no of course not.  

Of course all the bad aspects of Camilla can be seen in a single scene, one that I'm sure anyone who played Fates remembers.  

4 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I think a lot of Fates bad writing can be blamed on Corrin.  Part of the reason I am very much against avatar characters.  All the characters around him have to worship him/her like a god and want to sleep with him/her just cause it represents the player.  

avatar worship is a tough balancing act to be sure. However there are ways to do it right. Robin is one way to do it right for the most part anyway because a lot of it feels earned and not forced. For a non-FE example the persona series I feel does avatar worship pretty well also. While I cannot speak for personas 1-3, Persona 4 is one that strikes me as a pretty good way of going about. Yeah sure people start taking a liking to you rather quickly but imo it makes sense because you're a city boy moving into a rather rural town area where not much happens so it makes sense that people would be relatively curious about the new city who just moved in. Though like I said it is a balancing act and tough one at that.

3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I HATE the pandering elements and the big sister fetish thing is disgusting, do people really want to screw their own sisters? 

I like the doting and intimacy, and it is not all that different from how I treat my cat or my friends, although maybe not to the same degree. On a scale of 0 to 10, I am probably 8 or 9 while Camilla dials it up to 11. I cannot smother my friends with my male boobs, but I can slap their butts, give them massages, hold their hands in public, etc.

As for the incest, I can see the appeal. I do not judge people for being outside heterosexual norms, so I equally do not care whether or not people want to bang their own siblings. I have only so many fucks to give, so I am saving my fucks for issues that matter, like the sustainability of Fire Emblem, global warming, the national economy, racial and domestic violence, etc.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Carmilla is the name of a lesbian vampire preceding Dracula in horror fiction. One letter difference is all the difference, not a horribly remote or terrible idea for Camilla. Does she not display some form of strong fondness for her female retainers? (I wouldn't actually know.)-I'm not actually asking them to do this though. 

ehhh if I were to label camilla as having any kind of sexuality it would pan/bi. I mean the whole reason why she accepted Selena and Beruka as retainers is because she thought they were cute and knowing camilla that has so many different connotations to it.

Edited by Ottservia

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Faith in humanity = destroyed. I will create a miniature black hole which shall consume the Earth, even if it takes me 20 years and nearly all my sanity to do so.

I don't go on Reddit, only most holy, sane, and polite SF, so go and find one of the five or so paeans to Bramimond I've made on here and copy it to there. Do it Icy! 

...I'm half joking.

And @Fire Emblem Fan just in case you don't notice, I wrote a little (okay, a lot) something in the Tellius section which might be of interest to you. Just in case you don't notice it naturally.

Lekain is more deserving to be on CYL fight me!

Don't care about Bramimond. I wouldn't be too passionate talking about him. Sorry.

How do you rank the four RD generals in terms of characterization? For me it goes Tauroneo>>Brom>Gatrie>>Meg.  

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Okay this is pathetic. Someone is ballot stuffing votes for F!Robin. If Micaiah loses due to a combination of ballot stuffing and Smash Youtuber influence, I'll be pissed. 

The 4channers seemed to suggest they had the same plan for Camilla. IS says they have a plan for this, I trust they have it figured out.

2 hours ago, Othin said:

As of the midway results, BK is the 14th place male and Zelgius is the 20th. If we add up the votes of the 14th and 20th place males on CYL2 (Leo and Soren, with 7,162 and 4,753 votes) we get 11,915 votes, enough to be 7th place male and 17th place overall.

I'm glad these are split because my votes wouldn't go to Zelgius if I couldn't vote for the Black Knight. I view them as completely different characters. Haar is next on my list after the Black Knight, not Zelgius. I liked both the Black Knight and Zelgius in Path of Radiance. I didn't like the reveal in Radiant Dawn and the Zelgius Heroes reveal was even worse. There is nothing I like about the way they introduced Zelgius in Heroes with the spoilers, complete stat powercreep, and better skills (Warp Powder). I know Zelgius will get his proper Begnion armor at some point - that's the version I'd want. (I'm hoping my votes will at least get them to make a Black Knight helmet accessory so I can pretend the current Zelgius is the Black Knight.)

12 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

The 4channers seemed to suggest they had the same plan for Camilla. IS says they have a plan for this, I trust they have it figured out.

What about people who use different IPs? Where did IS say they have a plan for this? 

Some people can be pretty good at hiding their mischief that even powerful corporations and governments could have a hard time dealing with. 

12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

ehhh if I were to label camilla as having any kind of sexuality it would pan/bi. I mean the whole reason why she accepted Selena and Beruka as retainers is because she thought they were cute and knowing camilla that has so many different connotations to it.

Yeah, I didn't mean lesbian exactly, only that I heard she has some strong female bonds, besides whatever strong hetero attractions she has.

11 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Lekain is more deserving to be on CYL fight me!

Don't care about Bramimond. I wouldn't be too passionate talking about him. Sorry.

How do you rank the four RD generals in terms of characterization? For me it goes Tauroneo>>Brom>Gatrie>>Meg.  

First, why not have both?

Second, I've several Brammy monologues of mine laying around here, I meant just copypasting one of these:

Spoiler

And of course, I love Bramimond for so little we see of him. Why is because what he represents in lore for FE. We are told time and again Dark Magic corrupts and is difficult to master? So why bother studying it? Bramimond is someone who actually went down the dangerous path and managed to master darkness in full.

He has implied clairvoyance, godly destructive powers embodied in Apocalypse, a measure of omniscience, immortality of age, can seal powerful things, teleportation, and of course, the power to resurrect- which is not to be underestimated by FE standards. Yes other dark characters, overwhelmingly villains can do some of the same like teleporting, but Bramimond is the only true uncorrupted master of darkness. Yes he lost his personality, but I'm fine with such a sacrifice. As a monk lives a life of poverty, community and celibacy to attain union with the divine, so Bramimond made serious sacrifices to attain the ultimate state of being one with darkness. And in spite of the sacrifices, he was able to keep his all-important memories, mind and free will intact- something other would-be masters of the dark who were once decent people like Gharnef, Nergal, and Lyon failed to do. Bramimond thus deserves a special place in FE.

Also, I want to bring up one more person with regards to magic. In Blazing Blade we get the most complete explanation of dark magic in the entire series. Now it seems all magic, or at least anima and dark, involve to some extent sacrifice of one's own being. But dark magic is indisputably the riskiest. When one lets dark magic into oneself, you can be consumed by the darkness and become an inactive vegetable- like Canas's brothers. On the other extreme, darkness can consume you and turn you into a hyperactive and dangerous shell of your former self- Nergal.

But what if you manage to walk the thin path of success that looms over these two abysses? This we would never have known, were it not for Bramimond. 

Bramimond has let the darkness in and it penetrates him to the core. In the process, he has lost the ability to maintain an independent personality, a great sacrifice. Yet, he is no vegetable. Bramimond maintains his memories and his will and the ability to act on them. Bramimond has in exchanged gained the power to sense who knows what through the vast impenetrable darkness his mind's eye is open to. He has not annihilated his self, but he has sublimated it. He is a Buddha of darkness I daresay.

He has also gained the ability to live for centuries, a degree of omniscience, the ability to seal and unseal the world-altering legendary weapons remotely, one of which is the product of his own mastery of darkness- the powerful Apocalypse. And even resurrection- something even Elimine's Saint's Staff can't do. 

Given the sacrifices made and perils braved involved in achieving dark Nirvana (equilibrium of the self and darkness I also like to call it), it is no surprise that few would seriously consider walking this path. And that even fewer would succeed. 

Yeah, I'm a Bramimond fan in case you can't tell.

[And one other piece]

I also find it ironic that Nergal's original purpose behind practicing Dark Magic was Aenir's resurrection, and shortly after he dies, Bramimond- the lone true master of Dark Magic in Elibe, resurrects Nergal's daughter. Nergal dream WAS achievable! He just slipped off the narrow path of mastery and fell into side of the dark abyss that drives humans berserk.

Third, sounds good to me roughly speaking. Gatrie is pretty much a one-note casanova, with his Shinon friendship and early PoR trying to be second note, but I feel it falls short, he is probably 1.5 note. Not good, bad actually, and he never develops. Meg has even less to work on, so she is downright bland and forgettable. I might suggest another > between Brom and Gatrie.

Tauroneo and Brom can both be classified as good characters, albeit in different ways. Tauroneo is always bound up in serious situations and benefits from that, Brom is more of a side character allowed to be comical and other things. Tauroneo is unfortunately lacking in PoR, he needed more than just the good Rolf and a weak Largo, plus two good boss convos, but he but shines in RD in the supporting main cast. Brom has good Supports in PoR and a moment of limelight, perhaps stronger if certainly much shorter than Tauroneo's (and thus he'd win in the RD intermediate and long runs), due to only having Nephenee alongside him in RD 2-1.

I can see placement of Tauroneo over Brom, though I do think it is more a matter of what you want in a character than quality between the two. I'd actually reduce the > by one between them, against only the other two Generals, the gulf between them is not so big. Both are good characters, the other two, not so much.

6 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

What about people who use different IPs? Where did IS say they have a plan for this? 

Some people can be pretty good at hiding their mischief that even powerful corporations and governments could have a hard time dealing with. 

...Does anyone happen to have a count of all votes cast for the last two CYLs? Is anyone crazy enough to count?

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=318&height=410

Here's mine.