Micaiah Personality Analysis

Icelerate

What's your opinion on her personality?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about her personality?

8 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

honestly, I don't think that we could rule out that BK was unaware of alondite's inability to kill those who are unwilling to fight back, he may make threats toward mist or king lalelulelo but this was before he managed to botch ena's execution, ena came out fine and was able to join Ike's group the following chapter, mind you he was perfectly focused at the time (ike only showed up after the attack was over), so we need to assume that ena was able to full force take the hit in her human form (unlikely), BK actually just flubbed it (again unlikely due to his abilities) or he intended for her to live (possible, but I don't see why he or sephrain would need ena alive in the near future, unless getting any galdoan involved was all according to keikaku), also note how ena was the same as jarod in that moment, completely defeated, and accepting of death.

And I'm of the mind Navarre could make the exact same statement as I quoted above, save a change to "those who are women". And if this were the case, none would think it literal. Of course, he doesn't use a specially magical sword, but the language is sufficiently commonplace poetics to me. If an object is to be given certain magical powers, I'd expect it to be brought up and stated directly multiple times, not just one instance and only possibly implied in others. 

I'd also think Sephiran, being the husband of Altina who was besides her the entire time she fought Yune's forces, would know exactly the capacities of the Alondite, and would inform Zelgius of them in full. He already had its blessings explained. And it isn't like Daein is short of swords, he could've used one of thousands other than Alondite to strike down Ena.

Why did he fail to kill her then? I would attribute it to wanting to create an immediate spark of tension before Ike confronts the BK, rather than just have him run in and the BK is standing there waiting. And it returns Ena to the limelight, since she will be important for the remaining two chapters of PoR. Having a fatal blow that isn't fatal is one way of getting these narrative desires fulfilled, even if it contradicts the perfect swordsmanship of the BK. It had nothing to do with mercy powers which might not exist.

One thing that you do have in your favor is Yune suggesting, if not sentience, perhaps a measure of magical "awareness" in the Alondite.

(As Ike turns to leave, Alondite starts glowing next to Zelgius’s body)

Yune:
“The swords are calling to each other…”

Yune:
“The holy sword Alondite… It’s the counterpart to your sword, Ragnell. I think it wants you to take it up.”

Although I could counter this happens only because it is reacting to Ragnell, which could be of the same material-magical mix, so as to have a natural resonance in proximity with it, even if this never otherwise is mentioned. It'd make more sense than mercy detection I would say. Yune could just be anthropomorphizing the Alondite as well.

I think we'll just have to politely agree to disagree. 

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can't edit the above post for some reason, but I was going to add this. This translation analysis suggests in conclusion that, albeit in a prior game, FE's writers/translators used synecdoche. Why therefore, could they have not used it again?

they could, but they also could not, there is never a point where the black knight claims any greater meaning to his swordsmanship, same for Ike, the implication in FE7 is that it is a lifestyle rather than simply how you fight, if it was a part of his lifestyle then he has already disgraced it by trying to kill ena in cold blood (he may have failed but the action is the same as the result, intent is the only important thing here) hence it has no meaning now if it is so situational that he can attempt to kill ena when she was already on her knees unwilling to fight but also not even attempt to kill jarod where he stood just because he had given up.

7 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Critical Sniper hasn't even played FE10, so he's just trying to be edgy I think lol V_V 

Oh come on, the perspn that replied to me even sags there are inconsistencies. But still i just said that because swords with a mind of their own is usually a plot excuse in several media.

Also only my first comment was edgy so calm down

On 22/01/2019 at 9:29 PM, Nobody said:

I personaly think Micaiah is a hypocrite, a terrible person and just an annoying character, who is willing to do anything to support her racist, war-crazed country, is willing to murder innocents and exterminate entires laguz species for her country and can't see the point of view of others.

You say she's "very empathetic and considerate of other people", but how is she empathetic when she never consider Crimea's side or why Ike fought her country in first place? She never even pretended to care about Crimea or admit that the ONLY reason Daein got in such a bad situation was because their king started a war on the entire world, including innocent Crimea, a very peaceful country whose royal family was keen on avoiding war. How can she be called an empathetic person when she never tries to understand the side of anyone who is not Daeian? The very last thing Micaiah is is empathetic. She just can't sympathize with people who had different backgrounds/experiences as her.

I personally think your reading comprehension is off. 

When did Micaiah justify Daein's invasion of Crimea? I already explained how Micaiah is empathetic and considerate of other people with how she deals with strangers such as Kurthnaga, Meg, Nailah, etc. 

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Honest question, is this topic supposed to be anything other than a Micaiah fanboy circlejerk?

How did you come to the conclusion that an analysis is a fanboy circlejerk? Your ability to comprehend information presented to you is quite lacking. When even FE Heroes Subreddit is critical of the comments on this thread, you know something's wrong. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

How did you come to the conclusion that an analysis is a fanboy circlejerk? Your ability to comprehend information presented to you is quite lacking. When even FE Heroes Subreddit is critical of the comments on this thread, you know something's wrong. 

When every negative comment about Micaiah is met with personal criticism against the posters, it feels like one.

ffs, i'm not insulting you or anyone else in this topic. Micaiah is not a real person. No need to insult me because i talked shit about a fictional character i dislike.

8 minutes ago, Nobody said:

When every negative comment about Micaiah is met with personal criticism against the posters, it feels like one.

ffs, i'm not insulting you or anyone else in this topic. Micaiah is not a real person. No need to insult me because i talked shit about a fictional character i dislike.

Are you claiming you're above personal criticism? 

No one is insulting you. If you're going to start talking shit, expect to be criticized. 

Edited by Icelerate

14 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Honest question, is this topic supposed to be anything other than a Micaiah fanboy circlejerk?

I don't think this post is supposed to go in any direction in particular.

Having discussions is fun.

The only think I suggest is avoiding personal attacks and absurd (lack of any logic) comments.

. . .dear goodness, what happened after I stopped checking this topic?

Look, I'm not a fan of Micaiah, but it has nothing to do with her personality. . .which is what this topic is about.  Hence why I haven't really put my opinion of her out there (and no, I'm not explaining it here).

Regardless, love her or hate her, try to be civil about it.  No need to call her a cunt FFS.

On 22/1/2019 at 11:34 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

I am curious as to what she gets "Handed to her" exactly, I would say that she is never simply given anything more than any other protagonist is given in order to progress the plot.

Black knight

On 1/21/2019 at 10:46 PM, eclipse said:

I asked this because I suspect some of Micaiah's snark was added in the localization.

Not that i have a problem with her personality - if anything, had her personality been the focus early-on, I think she would've been more palatable for me.

You are correct, from the few things I've looked into, this would appear to be the case. But of course I've only looked at a few scenes (notably the Sothe's children line). So not something I can really make a general assumption from.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:36 PM, Icelerate said:

I don't know how to read the Japanese script so I can't say. Probably not a lot but I could always ask Kantopia. 

One day I would love to look into the way characters are portrayed between the languages more in-depth!

But alas, time is a fleeting thing... I've barely been on SF as well : ( hence why I saw your message and thread so late.

The Black Knight helping Micaiah is no worse than Kurthnaga vouching for Ike or whatever. Zelgius even had an ulterior gain to doing so even.

Face it, at worst both Ike and Micaiah get contrivances so that their mistakes or poor choices don't end the game. Need I remind you all how Ike mouthed off to Sanaki and she ended up not only letting him get away with but praising him for it?

Edited by Eryon

On 05/02/2019 at 11:10 PM, Kirokan said:

You are correct, from the few things I've looked into, this would appear to be the case. But of course I've only looked at a few scenes (notably the Sothe's children line). So not something I can really make a general assumption from.

One day I would love to look into the way characters are portrayed between the languages more in-depth!

But alas, time is a fleeting thing... I've barely been on SF as well : ( hence why I saw your message and thread so late.

Apparently Soren's personality became more blunt as well. 

Underrated character that gets lots of underserved hate. 

I thinks there's lots of people who don't like her because of her gameplay--i.e. how weak she is as a main lord and how difficult she is to use effectively compared to monsters like Elincia and Ike. And who let their opinions of her as a unit taint their opinion of her as a character.

Image may contain: 3 people

Which is a shame. Because she's a great character. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

She's a great unit if used right, like yeah it's harder to use her than characters like Ike, but at the same time I can't help but feel most of the hate she gets as a unit comes from people who only played FE10 once and had no idea what to do with her becasue it was their first time playing it, I feel like she's the type of unit where you need to know ahead of time how to get her working, or she won't turn out as good as she can be, like I'm not sure if I'm just really lucky or not, but she always turns out to be the best magic user to me whenever I play FE10.

Edited by Rose482

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

She's a great unit if used right, like yeah it's harder to use her than characters like Ike, but at the same time I can't help but feel most of the hate she gets as a unit comes from people who only played FE10 once and had no idea what to do with her becasue it was their first time playing it, I feel like she's the type of unit where you need to know ahead of time how to get her working, or she won't turn out as good as she can be, like I'm not sure if I'm just really lucky or not, but she always turns out to be the best magic users to me whenever I play FE10.

Agreed. She always turns out really good for me too but that's because I actually spend the time to raise her. Sure she's not as easy to use as Ike or Haar but she's definitely the best of the mages you get to me. I even used her to take out a number of part 4 bosses.

• 2 years later...

I have to agree with Nobody about Micaiah. My problem with her is that she is not a patriot but a nationalist. In the beginning she blames Ike for the current state Daein is in instead of acknowledging the faults of her own country. If she wanted someone to blame she should have blamed Ashnard. It isn't until part 3 though where I truly began to hate her. She agrees to wage war on the Laguz Alliance simply because Pelleas told her. She should have demanded an explanation from Pelleas first and if he refused she should have resigned. Her being the general of Daein is no excuse. As soon as she found out about the blood pact she should have sent messengers to the Laguz Alliance to explain the situation and ask for their help. Even if they couldn't it would've at least explained the situation.  Lastly and most importantly she should have refused to wage war against a group that had done no wrong to Daein. Yes even if it meant activating the blood pact. Killing innocents to save innocents is always wrong even if if you are responsible for them. What Daein should have done was form an alliance with the Laguz and attacked Begnion instead. It may have been suicide but it's still better than attacking a group that has done no wrong to you. Micaiah even admits to Sothe in a conversation that what she is doing is evil but that she just doesn't care. I give her credit for at least acknowledging her actions as evil. Acknowledging her actions as evil however doesn't make them any less evil and she still should have faced justice and been held accountable for her actions. The fact that she escapes justice at the end and even becomes Queen of Daein just makes it even worse.

Edited by Alputone