What is the dumbest self-imposed challenge you ever attempted?

The Roger The Paladin

Like the title says, think of all the games you've played. Then throw into the mix the ways you decided to make them tougher on yourself. Doesn't matter if it's actually stupid as in ill-advised, like say my bright idea to attempt a no-death 100% completion run of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, death meaning starting the game... from the beginning, or stupid as in comedic like defeating a game using only joke weapons. Just share your stories here. Now I would tell you why attempting a 100% no death Breath of the Wild run was stupid. But it should be obvious. This is a game that can take months of gameplay to 100%. If you have to start over every time you get a game over... even if it's from insta-death bullshit like the yiga clan hideout, then you're going to be there a while. Not impossible, but it'll get your blood pressure up when a tiny slip takes away everything.

Now then, I leave this thread open to other stories of lamentable and/or ludicrous ideas that were meant to spice up a second or third or 15th playthrough, and some possible explanation for why in the event it's not obvious.

My first challenge run of Awakening, where I combined ironmanning, no grinding, no pair-up, no magic, and male-only (and thus no children) challenges in the same run. On Hard. Without any experience with doing challenge runs besides combining ironmanning and no-grinding.

Needless to say, everyone died, although I did last four hours and got to the second paralouge. At least I learned that Panne has a unique death quote if she dies on the same chapter she appears in and that Kellam should only be reclassed into a healer if you're desperate.

There was also playing The Oregon Trail (Deluxe Edition, for the record. Why nobody talks about the best version of the game, I have no idea) on Teacher difficulty, which my sister and I both attempted. On a laptop, which meant that the shooting minigame was more difficult, which is saying something because hunting is essential for surviving on the hardest difficulty. Doesn't help that you start out with a pitiful amount of money and have to scrap along with the minimum essentials from the moment you start. Despite that, we managed to beat the game with everyone surviving, so it went from dumb to awesome.

This:

On 1/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, Arcphoenix said:

So I tried just about one of the stupidest things I could possibly do as an F2P player: Make my starting team for arena assault as the highest possible BST I could. Two of the units were full +10's. Somehow I cleared all 7 battles without losses. It was painfully difficult, took a lot of caution, and a battle calculator for the sixth battle. I saw so many builds (usually 2-3 fully merged 5 stars per battle) and had to think of how I'd take them down with my remaining units, mostly unmerged. The feeling from winning that and the wonder of seeing all the fantastic builds was pretty rewarding.

I also tried beating World of Light Hard with no spirirts (someone did this). I gave that up.

Not me, but I have a friend who decided to do "Breath of the Wild 2-Player mode" in which each player uses a joycon. He said he actually managed to clear Great (Grand maybe? It's been a while) Plateau. I'd really like to try it myself sometime

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest Hard Mode Classic, captured units only. I just didn't know what I was getting into. I allowed myself to use the Avatar and Niles, but that was it.

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

This:

I also tried beating World of Light Hard with no spirirts (someone did this). I gave that up.

Not me, but I have a friend who decided to do "Breath of the Wild 2-Player mode" in which each player uses a joycon. He said he actually managed to clear Great (Grand maybe? It's been a while) Plateau. I'd really like to try it myself sometime

Oh me and a buddy did this a while back. We actually cleared the zora area and the yiga clan hide out before life got in the way of us continuing. It was a lot of fun. Lot’s of laughs were had.

Edited by Ottservia

run of dark souls 1:

deprived gear (no armor, club)

no healing on bosses, no pyromancy, only normal upgrade paths for weapons, no levelling

i got all the way up to nito and gwyn left and i lost the save too

though personally the best sounding runs were the ones in final fantasy X that were entitled stuff like NSGNSNCNONENNENBB

I played Pokémon white 2, using 6 out of the 8 legends from dream radar, and played it on hard mode. If it weren't for pokemon breeder grinding, I wouldn't have survived since legends have WTF exp gain.

Collecting everything in Shenmue 1 and filling out all the entries in the game's notebook. The notebook is dumb because most of it is permanently missable, and you have to behave like an idiot in getting the same clues from four or five NPCs at a time. If you progress to the next clue too early, you can't get those earlier entries. Suffice to say there was a lot of resetting. So many clues that have to be got from the fortune teller too, which burns your limited supply of money. I'm still chipping away at this challenge months later and am nearly finished.

The collection of items went smoother than I expected. Dural Gold was a crapshoot, basically shiny hunting in Pokemon if there was no way to improve the base shiny rate. Normally getting a job at the harbor is a point of no return, but you can time loop one of the days and take advantage of the insane flow of cash even if you only have a few in-game hours to spend it. In order to keep the playthrough going I had to give up on some things though. The Hang On Certificate for beating the game on one credits is...technically impossible in the HD version through normal means. Your run has to be near perfect, in addition to taking advantage of an obscure exploit to earn more time. The Space Harrier Certificate is even harder, and allegedly bugged. And I'm not going for the 50K token certificate in the slot house because that's a slow, monotonous grind that takes no skill. Cassette completion I may have to give up on for sake of time, knowing that those don't carry over to shenmue 2 and shop inventories update by week rather than day. If I had known that second detail I could have been more proactive with those during the early stages of the playthrough.

Edited by Glennstavos

Not really a challenge run and more like a stupid run, but I played Breath of the Wild without upgrading the inventory at all until I had all 900 Korok Seeds (I was really just being obsessive about getting all the Korok Seeds, and I wanted to get them all before upgrading my inventory slots). I didn't even go looking for the Korok seeds until after beating Ganon. It's a cool run that I enjoyed, and I think I've improved my managing skills thanks to that. It was also in the same run that I didn't use my spirit orbs to upgrade Health or Stamina until I could get the Master Sword.

This website with an Interactive map for BotW was super helpful, too. Maybe it's cheating, but I still found all of the Korok Seeds, so I don't care.

Dumbest...

Final Fantasy 6 co-op  - check the menu's the option is there... lot of dumb as hell quirks, such seemingly randomizing who is in charge of mashing through text, putting town/dungeon movement, and overworld movement on different controllers. and of course the pointlessness of it's main use "in battles". 

Conker's Bad Fur Day with non-netural control stick - actually did this due to a semi broken controller, not on purpose. Should have just bought my replacement, but I wanted to play through it that day, so I did. Constantly walk to the right.

Pacifist in Robot Wants Puppy AFTER the dev announced he would nerf a certain enemy type, but BEFORE he did it. 

WarioWare Twisted via Gamecube adapter although that it an advantage rather than a disadvantage

Tales of Phantasia with Cress set as a computer charather instead of a player charather

Fire Emblem 4-5 blind in Japanese

Divinity Original Sin 1 all archer party

1 hour ago, JimmyBeans said:

Pokemon Ruby with only normal type pokemon because I wanted to make my gym leader dad proud

This sounded like lot's of fun, untili remember that the first Gym is Rock and second is Fighting. Ouch, at least there's Swallow for the second.

Mine is trying to beat the Elite 4 with only pokemon captured in the Victory Road in basically ever Pokemon game i ever played. It gave a resentment for using Rock types.

Wind Waker: Trying to beat Orca challenge whitout targeting him.

Smash Bros Melee: Trying to win a fight whitout see, i suicide at the start xD.  Use jygglipuff as a joke against a friend who defeated all my mains easily, it was my first victory against him o_ou

Fire Emblem 7: Blind Coop mode whit a cousing, i use halve army and he the other halve. We died a lot

Smash Bros Brawl: Fighting 3 cousins at the same time, of couse i lost.

Each Mario Kart i play. Try to win a race using the controller upside down.

Mario Party 9. Try to win a game doing absolute nothing, only won 1 time xD

I beat God of War 1 on the highest difficulty(Titan, I think) without blocking.

Purely because I was a petty 15 year old tryhard and wanted to prove that God of War 1 was babby's first action game. As if blocking somehow separated GoW from "real" action games.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

I beat God of War 1 on the highest difficulty(Titan, I think)

Oh that's fun.

without blocking.

*vomits

Purely because I was a petty 15 year old tryhard and wanted to prove that God of War 1 was babby's first action game. As if blocking somehow separated GoW from "real" action games.

Whoa, that's pretty complicated analysis and research of game design for somebody at that age. My 15 year old assessment of God of War was probably that it was the coolest most mature thing in the world. And I knew it was mature because it made my mom mad at all the boobs. Basically this guy.

Fire Emblem Warriors, I tried clearing the story mode with just 1 deployed unit.

For the most part, it was doable. Except chapter 12 and endgame.

Chapter 12 pretty much requires you to split your units up to take enemy forts at roughly the same time. Not possible with 1 unit.

Endgame just has to much stuff going on for one unit to really take care of. Especially with entire sections of the map being locked off since your supposed to switch to others to open the gates from the other side.

I also tried a no gun challenge in the original uncharted game. Only using them when required for non combat sections. Or parts where there is no other way around using them.

Edited by Faellin

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Whoa, that's pretty complicated analysis and research of game design for somebody at that age. My 15 year old assessment of God of War was probably that it was the coolest most mature thing in the world. And I knew it was mature because it made my mom mad at all the boobs. Basically this guy.

I played God of War, Ninja Gaiden Black and DMC3 very close together. I played GoW first, then moved on to Ninja Gaiden, and then Devil May Cry 3. I enjoyed all 3 immensely when I first played them. But I went back to God of War sometime after playing DMC3 and NG, and was really disappointed.

I didn't understand why I was disappointed, though, so rather than try to latch on to a number of gameplay mechanics and try to carefully determine what I thought Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 did so much better, my mind just went to "YOU CAN JUST BUTTON MASH THE GAME LOOK YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO BLOCK".

There was also a dude I hated in my freshman year of highschool who kept bringing up Kratos in one of our classes that had to deal with Greek Mythology. Thinking back, he wasn't even a bad guy, but he wanted to be Dane Cook and probably thought the same thing about God of War as the dude in the video.

So yeah. Just petty high school stuff.

Edited by Slumber

Playing Conquest Lunatic with the level 1 Felicia you get if you do a prolouge with Fem!Corrin and then choose Male!Corrin (Won)

Choosing Eevee as partner in Exploers of Sky (Won)

Doing a Girls Only run in FE8. Not hard but boring since you are stuck with 5 units until Route split (Too bored to continue)

Playing Echoes. That's the challenge. (I am probably giving the cartidge away or use it as a torture device if I get a prisoner for some reason)

Trying to beat Ninetails without using the special forms in Megaman X Command Mission (Lost)

Last but not least, I remember playing Buggy for PS1 with a friend. To handicap me I let him choose the best car and I chose a mid tier one (Almost won, then he surpassed me at the last second)