Surtr is removed from the random encounter pool

Garlyle

According to this, Surtr while still summonable, he cannot be encountered on PvE maps like Training Tower and such. I feel like this is a sign that IntSys also realized how much damage was Surtr doing to this game. I can imagine him causing difficulties to some low level players, but how are you guys feeling about this?

Edited by Garlyle

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best quality of life game update yet. He ruined rival domains/grand conquest for anyone who auto-battled them, myself included. 

He was easier to deal with in other game modes, but always required extra adaptation and just slowed the game's pace to a crawl.

Edited by Etheus

When I read the Topic's title, I thought that Surtr was removed from the Summoning Pool. I opened the game to check if we still was summonable. Now I understood.

Well... Not having Surtr on Tempest Trials is great! I am happy for the players that auto-battle theses modes, which isn't my case.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

This is awesome. I agree with those saying Surtr was annoying to encounter in things like the training tower. I still don't know why IS thought super high stats + a skill that automatically deals 20 damage was a good idea.

Edited by Anacybele

Only bumped into the inferior fire king a few times in the Tower. The first was pretty manageable, subsequent ones weren't so much. He certainly doesn't look intimidating on the map, a little too young and sweet for this guy who I hear is supposed to be menacing.

Meh. I didn't really mind him being there, but that's just me having things that completely wreck him in most of my teams.

I think the main problem with him being in the random encounter pool is the fact that his base kit, which units in the random encounter pool use, is far too optimized. Honestly, I'd prefer that they made it so that tier 4 skills aren't available in the random encounter pool and remove Wary Fighter from his random encounter skill list, though just seeing Surtr appear on random maps is a bit silly-looking if nothing else.

@Garlyle Maybe change the title to "random encounter pool" instead of "random units pool"? It seems to be causing some confusion.

Edited by Ice Dragon

@Ice Dragon Really? I only spotted one confusion by it, but I tried to make it obvious from my post. I can change if you guys really want it.

Also if you need to have things that specifically destroys one unit, that already tells that it could be problematic for people who don't have those tools.

1 minute ago, Garlyle said:

Really? I only spotted one confusion by it, but I tried to make it obvious from my post. I can change if you guys really want it.

It took me a few seconds of confusion before I realized what was meant when I was reading it from the list of threads.

2 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Also if you need to have things that specifically destroys one unit, that already tells that it could be problematic for people who don't have those tools.

I don't have things that specifically destroy him, though. Most of my teams already had someone on it that made him not matter. Myrrh, Zelgius, and Zephiel have no trouble dealing with him on my armor teams, and my infantry training tower team has vanilla Lyn, who trivializes him with Sol Katti and Wrath. My cavalry and flier teams can just kite him to death.

It does not affect me. He was not that bad. I run a dragon team for Rival Domains/Grand Conquest, so Surtr is pretty pathetic against them like most melee armor units. Similarly on Forging Bonds, my armor team with Zephiel can usually take on Surtr no problem, if not, then it is just 10 Stamina lost so it is not a huge deal. For doing quests in Training Tower, Surtur is pretty pathetic too, but even if I lose, it is only like 9 Stamina at most. On Tempest Trials, I play manually and I Firesweep him to death with archers or nuke him with Blade tomes.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

I imagine it's mainly because of auto-battle, where he'll just take out your entire brigade who march into him like lemmings unless your intervene manually.

All the better reason to leave him in, then.

2 hours ago, Garlyle said:
how are you guys feeling about this?

doesn't fix anything imo, we have many ways to counter surtr while playing PvE

the problem is arena: they can't nerf nor ban him, and that's what i call a "serious problem"

god i'd love to take a flight to japan and ask them what the hell they were thinking when they decided to make surtr playable

i'd feel so filthy inside if i used him

still a nice thing i guess

Edited by Yexin

10 minutes ago, Yexin said:

doesn't fix anything imo, we have many ways to counter surtr while playing PvE

the problem is arena: they can't nerf nor ban him, and that's what i call a "serious problem"

god i'd love to take a flight to japan and ask them what the hell they were thinking when they decided to make surtr playable

i'd feel so filthy inside if i used him

still a nice thing i guess

the problem is his stat allocation and his A + C Slot skill. The weapon itself is only so bad because because of his extreme min max stat allocation coupled with a very strong A and C Slot. which is further enhanced with double or triple Eirs in Aether Raids. If he only had 175 BST instead of 180 and more SPD and much much much less RES he would be easier to deal with instead of haveing to use Armor Smasher or a Triangle Adept + Axe Breaker...