Adjusting Past Special Focus Hero Rarity for future Special Heroes Foci

So, on the thread for the most recent Special Heroes Focus, there was some discussion on how previous Heroes can be handled.

I always thought that there would be some Special Heroes that would be brought down a notch in rarity next time their time of the year comes around. So, for all first-time seasonal focuses from March 2017-February 2018 (possibly the other seasonal focuses until the second Trick or Defeat! focus), what should their new rarities be and why?

Personally, I am thinking that, until the first Trick or Defeat! focus, all seasonal units can be brought down to 3-4* or 4-5* rarity. First Trick or Defeat! on, at least one unit will remain 5* exclusive, while the others drop to 4-5* rarity. Which heroes get this sort of demotion will be up to us.

38 minutes ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

Personally, I am thinking that, until the first Trick or Defeat! focus, all seasonal units can be brought down to 3-4* or 4-5* rarity. First Trick or Defeat! on, at least one unit will remain 5* exclusive, while the others drop to 4-5* rarity. Which heroes get this sort of demotion will be up to us.

I had an idea that maybe instead of that, they could increase the focus rate of the old seasonal units. For example instead of being 3%, it could start at 4% or even 5%. That would help for new players, collectors or for merges.

The old 5 stars SHOULD get demoted eventually because of their poor fooder and the saturation of the color pools. I might be the only one who even cares to get a Mist at this point and it's only for collection purposes and not her almost absent fodder.

Edited by Nym

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I had an idea that maybe instead of that, they could increase the focus rate of the old seasonal units. For example instead of being 3%, it could start at 4% or even 5%. That would be for new players, collectors or for merges.

The old 5 stars SHOULD get demoted eventually because of their poor fooder and the saturation of the color pools. I might be the only one who even cares to get a Mist at this point and it's only for collection purposes and not her almost absent fodder.

My stuff is just with the system we currently have, because who knows how long it will take IntSys to do this? I mean, I have faith and all, but only for if they do it eventually.

I got pity broken by Julia when hunting for Airzura. (Which pissed me off at the time, but kinda happy because i wanted Julia - then I realised she had NOTHING. i basically had to build her up scratch. she has nothing other than her tome that warrants her being 5* locked. and that goes for everyone else. at least 4*/5* locked. 

regarding seasonals - I said during the season (so for Valentines - all of Feb) - why not have seasonal 4 stars in every pool? once the season is done, out they go. 

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

regarding seasonals - I said during the season (so for Valentines - all of Feb) - why not have seasonal 4 stars in every pool? once the season is done, out they go. 

So, if a Focus comes out during, say, Valentine’s season, characters from the Love Abounds Focus can appear?

2 minutes ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

So, if a Focus comes out during, say, Valentine’s season, characters from the Love Abounds Focus can appear?

yeah. 
i was thinking at first - it could be IN that banner, but i think it would be cool if it was in every banner. for that season. March 1st. poof. gone for another year. 
Bride seasons. (the same).etc etc etc

Now we also know some 5* units have crazy skills they have 5* locked for whatever reason  - so they can be random pity breaks)

4 minutes ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

My stuff is just with the system we currently have, because who knows how long it will take IntSys to do this? I mean, I have faith and all, but only for if they do it eventually.

They will have too, the more they introduced 5 stars, the less chance you have to get a non focus five stars. Not to mention those older units have already been outclassed and some like Mist have poor fodder.

Your solution isn't bad, but IS would never do it because it won't guarantee them money. A higher focus rate could make a tempting choice for players that want to spend money.

I'll just repost my thoughts from elsewhere.

I think seasonals from 2 years back should no longer have their banners rerun, but have the characters added to the 4-star pool on their respective newer seasonal banners. For example, the 2019 Spring event should include the 2019 Spring banner and Hares at the Fair, and the 4 characters from Spring Festival should be added to both banners in the 4-star pool. However, the Spring Festival characters would only appear in the 4-star pool for these two banners and related Legendary or Mythic Hero banners, but not regular banners or seasonal banners for other events.

As an example, summon rates would look something like this for a 4-character seasonal banner with balanced colors and 4 rerun characters in the 4-star pool with balanced colors:

• Red new: 2.5%
  • Red rerun: 1.8%
  • Blue new: 2.8%
  • Blue rerun: 2.0%
  • Green new: 4.1%
  • Green rerun: 2.9%
  • Colorless new: 2.9%
  • Colorless rerun: 2.1%

An alternative would be to add them as 4-star focus units with a 3% base rate (or 5% to mirror Hero Fest banners) to bump the rates up to equal the 5-star focus rates so that the split looks like

• 3% 5-star focus
  • 3% 5-star standard
  • 3% 4-star focus (or 5%)
  • 55% 4-star standard (or 53%)
  • 36% 3-star standard

One possibility is larger banners. We've gotten two kinds of 12-character banners now, and they could use one of those for seasons with enough characters, or make a new type. Although the 3-character seasonal banners would be tricky to fit into any regular system.

Ice Dragon's idea of putting the old ones on the newer rerun banner at 4* rarity is reasonable, but it feels incomplete to me. Perhaps they could make it so that all seasonal characters from previous years appear in the "regular" summoning pool of banners for that season, at either 4-5* rarity or 5* exclusive to fit with standard rarities. So the Spring 3 banner could also have the Spring 1 units at 4-5* and the Spring 2 units at 5*, and be accompanied by a rerun Spring 2 banner with those same changes. And those rates could be revised for future years. Summer banners could get a bit weird with this, though, because there are more of them.

I don't think it'd be good to make it so that sufficiently old seasonals are only available this way and don't have the possibility of appearing on another focus, though. Especially as the 4* pool continues to get diluted. They could address that with other, less regular kinds of reruns. For example, daily banner reruns like the 1.5 year celebration ones, and/or seasonal banners with new combinations of old seasonal units (whether from one season or multiple).

I like the compromise solution of having both old Special Heroes in newer Special Heroes Foci and having old Special Heroes Foci be rerun. Having options is good, plus you get a free summon if nothing else from the old Foci.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'll just repost my thoughts from elsewhere.

I think seasonals from 2 years back should no longer have their banners rerun, but have the characters added to the 4-star pool on their respective newer seasonal banners. For example, the 2019 Spring event should include the 2019 Spring banner and Hares at the Fair, and the 4 characters from Spring Festival should be added to both banners in the 4-star pool. However, the Spring Festival characters would only appear in the 4-star pool for these two banners and related Legendary or Mythic Hero banners, but not regular banners or seasonal banners for other events.

As an example, summon rates would look something like this for a 4-character seasonal banner with balanced colors and 4 rerun characters in the 4-star pool with balanced colors:

• Red new: 2.5%
  • Red rerun: 1.8%
  • Blue new: 2.8%
  • Blue rerun: 2.0%
  • Green new: 4.1%
  • Green rerun: 2.9%
  • Colorless new: 2.9%
  • Colorless rerun: 2.1%

An alternative would be to add them as 4-star focus units with a 3% base rate (or 5% to mirror Hero Fest banners) to bump the rates up to equal the 5-star focus rates so that the split looks like

• 3% 5-star focus
  • 3% 5-star standard
  • 3% 4-star focus (or 5%)
  • 55% 4-star standard (or 53%)
  • 36% 3-star standard

This was what I was thinking, actually.

I think older seasonal banners ought to be rerun, but as 4 star focus banners. Which I believe we haven't seen in the past year. When those were introduced before the game's first year anniversary,  I immediately expected that would be the method they would have done in rerunning previous years seasonal units. Yes, some of them have pretty great fodder. Even the very first seasonal banner includes a unit packing Swift Sparrow. But in a world with Brazen and Tactics seals, plus dozens of very good F2P units, I don't think an infusion of some rare yet occasionally useful skills will ruin the sales pitch for future powercreeped units. We have level 4 skills now, for crying out loud.

If they don't want to drop seasonals down to 3-4* they can change the seasonal banners so that the 5* pool is not the standard 5* pool and is instead all the previous seasonal units, making it so that the pity breakers are old seasonal units

55 minutes ago, Mackc2 said:

If they don't want to drop seasonals down to 3-4* they can change the seasonal banners so that the 5* pool is not the standard 5* pool and is instead all the previous seasonal units, making it so that the pity breakers are old seasonal units

That would be very interesting. Would make me pull again in seasonal banners, since I got bored of being pity broken by non-seasonal unit and now I don’t pull in them

17 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's what I was thinking as well. It at least gives players a chance to focus on getting a particular one. If they aren't going to be 5*, then I think the 5% focus is more reasonable than 3%, especially if they are more than four units in the old seasonal pool.