Do You Think We'll See The Turnwheel Return?

Turnwheel?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Will we see it return?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

17 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

I don't see why lore needs to justify it returning. Gameplay story segregation. There's no lore explanation as to how the lord characters act as convoys nowadays after all.

I hope it returns, but I feel we don't have any reason to believe that it will at the moment.

Something like Lords being convoys is a very small feature that can be explained away by some haphazard excuse. Something as big as the turnwheel cannot. 

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

Something like Lords being convoys is a very small feature that can be explained away by some haphazard excuse. Something as big as the turnwheel cannot. 

Eh I don't think that'd be a big deal honestly. We never had to have "explainations" for why you can save in FE4/10/11/12 mid battle.

54 minutes ago, IS Bath Salts HQ said:

Eh I don't think that'd be a big deal honestly. We never had to have "explainations" for why you can save in FE4/10/11/12 mid battle.

Because a save option doesn’t have any bearing on the lore. It is a fourth wall mechanic. A turnwheel is not a fourth wall mechanic, and needs grounding with in-universe lore. 

I think it goes without saying we're not asking for the Mila's Turnwheel, as in that same relic from Echoes, to return in an unrelated game. Just the mechanic. You can graft that mechanic onto any story macguffin you feel like, maybe even the Fire Emblem. Or graft that mechanic onto some mysterious blue haired girl who can see the future. Or have some plot twist being that the entire game was the main character's recollection of those events.

Though I'm not asking for them to put forward too much effort in integrating gameplay mechanics into plot. In the first chapter of Awakening, they try to explain our ability to see enemy stats as Robin's ability to "size up any opponent". Okay, little odd since that man has had no combat experience by that point, and what's wrong with any other soldiers eyes that they don't have the same ability? The explanation has done more harm than simply not trying to explain it.

4 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

Because a save option doesn’t have any bearing on the lore. It is a fourth wall mechanic. A turnwheel is not a fourth wall mechanic, and needs grounding with in-universe lore. 

If the game can get away with not explaining why people are endlessly being brought back in phoenix mode, I think we can survive having a simple "rewind" option in the menu, or something comparable.

Not 'Mila's Turnwheel' specifically, no. A general rewind function, though? Absolutely, particularly if taking certain courses of action changes the number of mooks in a unit's squad in such a way that you didn't realize it was going to happen until after confirming said action.

Hopefully. It was a nice fail safe in the event that some enemy crits unexpectedly, or you accidentally make a mistake when you were placing your units for one reason or another. I don't really think it needs a story explanation, but it could always be justified as the tactician just scrapping a previous strategy or something along those lines. So the battle hasn't actually taken place until after the map is finished, and your whole strategy worked out or didn't. That would eliminate the time travel and future visions shenanigans although they could also use that. There is obviously a Goddess involved who is probably going to be on our side at the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m afraid we might. The latest trailer showed the avatar getting a vision of his own death and then preventing it.

Honestly I was hoping they wouldn’t try to integrate it into the story again. Giving the main character the ability to rewind time slash see the future... it’s a can of worms that makes stakes difficult.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I’m afraid we might. The latest trailer showed the avatar getting a vision of his own death and then preventing it.

Honestly I was hoping they wouldn’t try to integrate it into the story again. Giving the main character the ability to rewind time slash see the future... it’s a can of worms that makes stakes difficult.

It was limited in Xenoblades case and worked there, don't shoot it down until we see how it works.