Anyone Wants to Play 10-Units-Only Conquest?

starburst

During the last six months or so, I have been playing Conquest (mostly Hard but also Lunatic) using ten-units-only parties, with no 'backpacks' and no pre-promoted royals. I just finished my last campaign a couple of minutes ago, I enjoyed it and decided to ask if such a run interests somebody else.

I think that a smaller party with no 'backpacks' has helped me define unit roles, improve my use of Attack Stance, come up with alternative approaches, and learn how to replace Xander and Camilla (and Leo, but he was never that important to me.)

With ten units I beat Chapter 18 in 12-14 turns; Ch 21 in 7-8 turns (ten units, no skipping), open the doors of Ch 25 in around 20 turns, beat Ch 26 in around 15 turns; and Endgame, in 6-7 turns (no cheesing.) It is not fast, but not particularly slow either; and it can surely be done faster with more mounted units (and better gameplay, of course.)

These are the 'rules' that I have been following:

• A maximum of ten units can be deployed per map. In-chapter recruitments are not considered but forced deployments are.
    So, in Chapter 13 I deploy up to ten units plus Charlotte and Benny; but in a Paralogue I deploy up to nine units and the predetermined father.

• No pre-promoted royals. Camilla is permanently benched (or killed) after Chapter 10. Leo and Xander are never used (zero battles) and are permanently benched (or killed) after their own chapters.

• No 'backpacks'. By 'backpack' I mean any unit whose main purpose is to provide bonuses to a 'main' unit in Guard Stance, usually promoted early and hardly seeing in actual combat. At any given point in the game, the level difference among the ten units in the party must be low (usually 1-3 levels), and promotion does not reset the difference gap. This is, a L10/1 unit is twelve levels away from a L20/3 unit (and not two levels.)
    Fielding an early promoted unit at the beginning of the game is allowed (L10/1 DK Nyx in Chapter 10, for example) as long as the unit is used for main combat. But soon afterwards, once the core party gets some levels, this unit can no longer be used. In contrast, fielding L10/1 DK Nyx in Chapter 18 to provide bonuses to, say,  L18/6 Sorcerer Odin is not allowed, since she would be too many levels away from the main party and could only be qualified as a 'backpack'.

• Support grinding through DLC is only allowed to recruit a permanent main unit whose father breaks any of the mentioned rules. It cannot be used to unlock Paralogues exclusively to grind Experience.
    I sometimes use the 'Before Awakening' DLC map to grind supports with a father that I do not plan to use long-term but whose child I want to incorporate to my main party. For example, I grind supports with Keaton so that Velouria can be recruited immediately after Ch 14 and be part of the main party. Otherwise, Keaton would most likely be the 11th unit (and break the first rule) or would have to be treated as a 'backpack' (and break the third rule), since I do not plan to use him long-term. This is a must to recruit Forrest or Siegbert in the main party, since their fathers can never be fielded (as it would break the second rule.)

• Castle visits may be used for support grinding instead of DLC, but buying ore, equipment or skills is not allowed.
  • No Path Bonuses, except for DLC-class Seals. These seals must be used at promotion level (no L1 Dread Fighter Mozu, for example.)
  • Anna and the Amiibo are allowed within the ten units, but the special weapons (Ragnell, Falchion, Thoron) cannot be used.

Of course, you do not have to follow all my 'rules.' I named them to set a common ground.
I would like to discuss and learn new approaches. Let me know if you are interested in such a run.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never played a Draft campaign, and honestly I had to read about it here and on Reddit. He he.

Apart from the particular challenge, the idea is that a group of players choose certain units and then complete the game in as few turns as possible, right? It sounds interesting, and it would certainly help me create and see different strategies.
My original idea was for other users to choose their own parties and just follow some restrictions (the 'rules') and come back with opinions and new ideas. But I can see how a Draft might be more appealing.
Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting earlier, this got me thinking about trying out Lunatic mode, and I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with this challenge on my first Lunatic Conquest run; but after the great Ophelia caper to get best mage (plus all that sweet paralogue 20 loot) immediately after chapter 9 with only 10 units, I felt committed to the run (although I waited till chapter 15 just to be sure). That being said I am taking a slight alteration on the backpack rule that I feels captures its spirit, in this case not using Guard Stance to defend (meaning separating pair-ups before end turn or ensuring they will not be targeted on enemy phase), except during support grinding runs to get permanent party members. Truth be told that is very similar to how I played on hard, I just have to think more about enemy attack stance when I do not give myself guard stance as an option.

The 10 person team I have been using are Corrin M; Felicia; Elise; Silas; Effie; Niles; Azura; Ophelia; Beruka; Peri, all still in base class so far. I could do a full write up if you are curious as towards my tactics

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The 10 person team I have been using are Corrin M; Felicia; Elise; Silas; Effie; Niles; Azura; Ophelia; Beruka; Peri, all still in base class so far. I could do a full write up if you are curious as towards my tactics

I do not know how many times you have played Conquest Hard, but doing a challenge on your first Lunatic run is admirable. God, I only started using ten units after various campaigns in Hard and a couple in Lunatic. And even though I never used 'backpacks', your No-Guard-Stance-to-Defend take is even more difficult, for there are multiple occasions wherein I pair-up units to withstand Enemy Phase.

It would be interesting if you shared your tactics on different chapters. Coincidentally, I started a new Lunatic campaign last week and I am about to start Chapter 18.
For example, I am curious about how you entered the Samurai Room in Chapter 11 without Guard Stance, or how you dealt with the upper-left section of Ophelia's Chapter without Guard Stance.

4 hours ago, starburst said:

For example, I am curious about how you entered the Samurai Room in Chapter 11 without Guard Stance,

I will go more in-depth in another post (or possibly edit), but short answer, that room becomes a lot less dangerous if you freeze staff the paired-up lunging samurai that target you, and the ninja room stairway can only be targeted by physical units.

how you dealt with the upper-left section of Ophelia's Chapter without Guard Stance

Short answer, is four of my troops were fleeing into the desert in the north after slaying the reinforcements, while the rest lured them back down in more manageable groups.

PART 1 -Thoughts on the early chapters (1-7)

Spoiler

I will skim over some of these as many are not overly  difficult
Chapter 1- The only thing of note is that I wasted a turn confirming that Xander's AI hasn't changed
Chapter 2 - I end up using a reset trying to maximize Corrin's XP, but end up just using Gunter to tank & kill some of Kaze's troops while Felicia and Corrin deal with Rinkah's group, before finally finishing off Kaze's ranged attackers.
Chapter 3 - First thing is to push Dragon Corrin into range of the samurai with a Gunter attack stance to keep Hans from eating up that XP. Next I head to activate the lower dragon vein and deal with the troops across the bridge. Then Gunter baits out one of the archers to the right into their own attack stance with the boss, which triggers the reinforcements. A swift retreat with Gunter and a heal up from Felicia lets me get into a formation where Felicia has to take at most one melee attack, but they mostly pile on Corrin anyway. After finishing off the pegasi we enter archer baiting round 2, only this time Gunter retreats to the edge of the archer's range that way I can take it without having to think about the boss, this is repeated with the second archer. Careful use of attack stance and knife debuffs (activated through attack stance) lets Corrin claim the boss kill, but I still want the XP from the Fort. Honestly the fort is way easier to crack on Lunatic as the centerpiece of their defense is easily baited from the south... kinda anticlimactic after how difficult I found that on hard...
Chapter 4 - I did this one on first try and there was no real elegance to it, just dealt with what I could when I could and grabbed the loot. Interestingly nothing happens if Sakura dies, I honestly though I was about to see a game over as I find myself 1 movement point away from saving her... RIP Sakura we are going to Conquest.
Chapter 5 - This was hard on Lunatic mode, and after a few resets the reinforcements swamped me I say... RIP Rinkah we are going to Conquest and I don't want to have to do this again.
Chapter 6 - Fairly straight forward, I focused on using the sibling to attack stance and skill assist the units that can gain XP, but when I get to point that I take out Sakura I have a change of heart after Corrin's dialogue when setting up the kill for Felicia (plus Xander managed to get lucky fighting Ryoma and I thought Corrin stood a shot) but Xander's luck wins the day before I draw the battle in his direction
Chapter 7 - I end up clearing this first try so most of this is a bit vague but the big things are knowing where to make your stand and using lily's poise, demoiselle (from just Felicia for now) and Devoted Partner to maximize your tanking capabilities, while setting up the attack stances to claim the kills.

PART 2 - The Great Ophelia Caper (chapters 8-9 & Invasion 1 & Paralogue 1 & 20)

Spoiler

Chapter 8 - It takes me 2 quick resets to realize I know of no way of stopping the reinforcements from the NE house, but remembering my Hard play-through I know I might win the western 2 with a desperate dash across the lakes, Corrin hitches a ride with Elise (and swaps and separates to get her as far across the woods as I can) with Silas right beside her, while Effie, Arthur and Felicia are tasked with dealing with the first house and the NE reinforcements. Niles and Odin appear in the riders midst, and are used to bait some chip on the troops crossing the other side of the lack to meet us. The delicate dance of attack stances needed to  clear the way for Elise to move (and with Silas in close enough pursuit to pick up the kill afterwards) forces Corrin just barely into Flora's freeze range. I will sum up Effie, Felicia and Arthur's efforts by simply saying that careful baiting wins the day with the mages being the only real threats. Meanwhile Elise rushes forward and freezes the soldier one square away from claiming the NW village, with Silas closing in to get the kill next turn (and staying out of Flora's freeze range), while Niles, Dragon Corrin, and Odin try to mount a defense against forces closing in from the north. The battle of the frozen dragon is a close call, as the thaw is ending just as the cavalry is returning, with a turn of Elise melting the ice to delay thing a little, til Flora's freeze staff running out, and with no more freeze and no more need to race, deal with the rest of the enemies and Flora is fairly easy. Kilma was a hard nut to crack, with Nosferatu and vantage this early. Having bought a javelin I first launch one from Effie with Felicia attack stancing to deal her debuff, healing Effie with Elise & Felicia (lily poise being what is pushing this into safe territory), in preparation for the real damage to pile up on enemy phase and kill him next turn. I setup for the kill... and forget he has Vantage... oops thankfully the person I was setting up the kill for can take it and he doesn't heal enough to save him from a double Yato hit.

After chapter 8 I immediately relationship grind Elise and Odin on castle battles until I can get best mage, but it quickly becomes clear that I cannot beat paralogue 20 with the troops I have at their levels, so I clear paralogue 1 and invsion 1 for the levels (immediately benching Mozu) without much effort, then tackle chapter 9.

Chapter 9 - I remember the opening to this map being much harder, but with lily poise, double demoiselle, devoted partner, and the forest's defense stacked on Corrin's dragon tanking, the led lancer doesn't even try to hit him. The entirety of my army can just barely attack stance chain kill this lead group. I have Azura play Metal Gear Solid, while Corrin heads down to recruit Nyx for kicks (hitching a ride with Felicia for the convenience of her position at the end of second turn), while Effie hitches a ride with Silas to throw a javelin at the guard stance samurai, killing the first, while the troops that follow separate the two, and make sure the remaining samurai can't kill anyone. The samurai dies without much effort and I have Effie throw a Javalin at the archer in the boss room, and then have Silas shelter her, another person seperate them and Elise mend Effie. This has the added benefit of drawing the enfeeble staff to target Silas, and this tactic is repeated until the archer is dead and enfeeble wasted. In a similar way after this I lure the rest of the archer, first with dragon tanking in that weird corner with all the damage reduction I can muster, have Corrin retreat and heal him, then use Nile's ability to double at range to kill the archer, and use Silas to shelter him to safety. This can take a bit of time to get everyone in their proper positions and healed up, but eventually all the archers are dead. Finally Azura activates the dragon vein, and the lure in the enemies in the center to their doom, with Azura luring in her crippled harasser the next turn. Then I end up resetting twice to the reinforcement, first time because I forgot about them and was too far out of position when they spawned to survive, and the second by thinking the one that had quick draw had darting blow instead. In my defense both skills are green with white markings. After a far more careful clearing of the reinforcements I break the wall and wipe away the chest's defender to claim the rescue staff. I already know this item is solidly in the too good to use tier (especially with it being Hoshidan staff). Finally the combined efforts of my army manage to capture Haitaka so I can put him in my trophy dungeon.

Paralogue 20, THE GREAT OPHELIA CAPER- Benching Nyx, I bring Corrin, Odin, Niles, Azura, Felicia, Silas, Elise, Effie, Arthur, and the deployed Ophelia brings me up to 10. Effie catches a ride with Silas and is separated into range of two of the Samurai to north east (both of whom die enemy phase); Arthur catches a ride with Elise to the north forming the great Northern Army, with everyone else in the great Southern Army. With a dance from Azura Ophelia stands right in front of the armor with wary fighter, and one rounds the other that doesn't right next to him. Odin attack stance with his daughter, and Niles does the same moments after to kill the wary fighter. The placement of Azura, Felicia, and Corrin is done in an attempt to lure the trailing dragon rider to go north around the houses while the other two head south around them, and to split the fighters between going north and south around the houses on the other side  (mostly by staying just out of range and just north of the house line). On turn 2 Arthur charges forward with a specially bought bronze axe to get him the best accuracy he can to hit the last samurai with Effie's attack stance to finish the job, then Silas kills the first diviner, Effie killing the second, and Elise charging forward to heal Effie knowing the last diviner wont touch her. In the south Odin positions himself to give Ophelia the attack stance kill on the first dragon rider, and Niles kills the second (with Ophelia's attack stance there to cover a miss). Felicia and Azura position themselves out of attack ranges while Corrin prepares to cause whatever chip damage he can while dragon tanking. On turn three, Effie slays the last Diviner, and Silas kill the first Adventurer (that can deny me the villages), while Elise mends the damaged Arthur and he claims the Spirit Dust. This turn for the great Southern Army was by far the greatest cause of resets, and was the hardest thing to pull off. The most certain thing first, Niles kills the last dragon rider, and is only in range of mages for the rest of the turn. Without a bit a luck elsewhere both Corrin and Ophelia are one chip battle away from gaining the one magic they need to one round the fighters with one attack stancing the other. Odin is dying enemy phase this turn, so making the best use of his death is beyond vital, he not only needs to give one of Ophelia or Corrin their chip level if they need it, but also disrupt enemies avenues of getting the attack stances they need to cripple my physically squishy units. The Corrin Ophelia power combo really needs to kill three Fighter (dancing included), and Azura needs to find a place out of both physical attack range, and at least one of the mages. A moment for Odin, despite only being level 6 he manages to be vital to a kill on every turn he was here, and his death saves the whole map. If Odin's sacrifice was not in vain, on turn 4 Effie catches a ride with Silas to be just on the other side of a breakable from the brand new reinforcements, with a waiting Javalin to kill the Diviner on enemy phase after the first wall breaks, the rest of the Northern army follows at a relaxed pace. If the Southern army survived they should be able to mop up the enemy survivors, and dance someone into getting the Lightning tome before the southern reinforcements arrive en masse. On turn 5 I must face the uncomfortable fact that the Apothecary reinforcements can kill literally anyone in my army with an attack stance (barring perhaps properly prepared dragon tanking...that hasn't been defense sealed...), so Elise freezes the northern one, while Effie claims a Javalin kill from the other side of a crumbling wall, and the Northern Army braces for its breach. In the south this same concern forces the Ophelia Corrin mega magic combo to back just out of the Apothecary's kill radius, but still draw some of the other reinforcements, while Felicia starts healing the south into far more comfortable health ranges. The breach of the northern wall triggers the Boss's posse and the enemies in the North West to start moving, but we still have a little time. At start of turn 6 Elise heals Effie, then the Northern army finishes off the northern reinforcements (including the second of three adventurers) except for the Apothecary, but alone he can only kill Elise (who was walled off from his reach by unit placement, and the desert movement penalties). Things are looking up in the Southern army as well, the Apothecary is running out of defenders, and my natural line of retreat puts me on intercept course with the last Adventurer, who is heading to south western house. On turn 7 both Apothecary reinforcements die along with the last adventurer, and I make a mental note to keep one of the enemy healers alive to give me the time to grab the rest of the loot. That being said the remaining enemy are converging on the northern army, next turn only my ability to pair-up and seperate to get an extra deserts tile worth of movement is going to keep me safe, and there isn't much desert to the east to escape to. This isn't helped by  the last surviving diviner forcing me to loose ground on the next turn to slay him before he can do too much damage to the Northern army, but the gambit has worked, some of armors from the North West have broken off the pursuit, and are charging strait into a dragon's maw, with his own backup mage to roast them to perfection. With the pursuit being lured away in chunks victory approaches quickly, a little bit of planning lets me add Senno to my trophy dungeon. I save one healer so that I have the time to grab the Calamities Gate, and Horse Spirit. This took a while to perfect, and even then that 3rd turn in the south was at the mercy of the enemy's path-finding and target priority algorithms.

I will continue this latter.

PART 1 -Thoughts on the early chapters (1-7)

Ch 2: In Hard, given that Kaze is the only enemy with 1-2 attack range and that he will always attack the servant as long as Cornflakes is next to them, I face the enemies from within the DV room and literally give all the Exp to 'flakes (always ends at L5.)
In Lunatic, however, since various enemies have 1-2 range, I ignore the DV, go east and face Kaze's gang first, then Abs's; making sure that 'flakes ends at least at L4.

Ch 3: I always use Corrinette but hate Jakob, thus I ignore the fort and the Pegasi and go directly for the Ninja boss.

Ch 4: I do not even move Rinkah and just pair-up 'flakes and Kaze. I would have to try the map without Guard Stance to figure out a new strategy; specially because Kaze's bonuses are my only way to double the Faceless in Lunatic.

Ch 5: Similar to Ch 4, I would have to play it without Guard Stance to come up with a new approach. In particular because I only let 'flakes kill one or two units and feed all the rest of the Exp to Kaze (who always ends at L7-8.)

Ch 6: Pure Attack Stance, letting 'flakes kill Taco Meat and Lenses, ending at L10.

Ch 7: While this can be completed in about five turns in Lunatic, I prefer face the boos and then to block the passage while building supports between the future lovers and letting Elise gain two levels burning staves. Not so much should change using only Attack Stance, but I normally use Guard Stance while holding the position on the bridge.

PART 2 - The Great Ophelia Caper (chapters 8-9 & Invasion 1 & Paralogue 1 & 20)

Ch 8: I do exactly the same in Hard and Lunatic; just let the party cross the frozen lake and visit all three southern houses by turn 3. It always works. If Odin or Ophelia will be used, I give him two levels.

Mozu's: Since I often use her, this map takes me around thirty turns, to level-up her to Archer L7-8 and to build supports among units.

Inv 1 and Ch 9: Nothing interesting. Just Exp and support building.

Ophelia's: I read your approach and the difference with mine is timing.
I visit the two southern houses and the noth-eastern one by turn 3, I then send the two same units that visited the NE house to visit the NW one. This is why I asked you how you did this without Guard Stance, since the number of enemies NW is high. I send two units, grab Calamity Gate and then let Elise Rescue them. In Hard, I do this to feed more Exp points to Ophelia (who starts at L11 and finishes at L14); and I do this in Lunatic because the enemies and reinforcements up north can actually kill those two units after a couple of turns.

17 hours ago, starburst said:

For example, I am curious about how you entered the Samurai Room in Chapter 11 without Guard Stance, or how you dealt with the upper-left section of Ophelia's Chapter without Guard Stance.

Sam room in 11 is ruined by a freeze stave charge. Ophies map top left has a fort we can park a unit on with Elise/Cammy attack stance on. We've got tonics and a +2 meal by now so we can star bloat to the sky. Now on Ophy alongside a tonic+dust asap can pretty much shred this map early as well.

Edited by joshcja

In Lunatic, however, since various enemies have 1-2 range, I ignore the DV, go east and face Kaze's gang first, then Abs's; making sure that 'flakes ends at least at L4.

Interesting, I may have to try that, when I play through lunatic again

Ch 5: Similar to Ch 4, I would have to play it without Guard Stance to come up with a new approach. In particular because I only let 'flakes kill one or two units and feed all the rest of the Exp to Kaze (who always ends at L7-8.)

Wow, I may have to try that chapter again with guard stance, cause that approach is just so different from how that map plays without it.

Mozu's: Since I often use her, this map takes me around thirty turns, to level-up her to Archer L7-8 and to build supports among units.

I like using Mozu, but with limited slots I didn't want another unit (Felicia) that felt like dead weight early on, but in retrospect, she would have probably become competent before Felicia's chapter 12 transformation, and I was still carting around plenty of units I plan to drop.

I visit the two southern houses and the noth-eastern one by turn 3, I then send the two same units that visited the NE house to visit the NW one.

Honestly if I had used guard stance we would have had a very similar approach. In my first few tries I send Corrin after the south western house first, but it quickly became clear that only a dragon tanking, lily poise, demoiselle combo could tank the attack stances those dragon riders could craft, and without Elise I couldn't get enough people north to get the Spirit Dust before the adventurer. While I was figuring out how to survive turn 3 in the south there were a few tries where I used Azura to dance Corrin into the house on turn 2, but he was so out of position, and with those pair of ninjas, he was capable of dying depending on what went south around the house. With so many houses still open, it became clear that killing the adventurers was the only way to get all the loot, so the northern group beeline for him instead of the house

15 hours ago, joshcja said:

Ophies map top left has a fort we can park a unit on with Elise/Cammy attack stance on.

You would need to deal with the northern adventurer, or start doing this before he becomes an issue. I am not sure if this would work as well under the constraints of this run, 10 units is not a lot of actions to work with and Camilla is banned outside chapter 10 (and I did it the chapter before she is recruited anyway) so you might end up losing some of the loot. That being said I tried similar techniques on hard, and see no reason you could not find a way to survive it on Lunatic as well

PART 3 - Everyone is here (Chapter 10-12)

Spoiler

Chapter 10 - This is my favorite chapter in Conquest. The way they time out the reinforcements makes that moment Takumi triggers the Dragon Vein into a sea change that forces you onto the defensive. I bring Corrin, Ophelia, Niles, Azura, Felicia, Silas, Elise, Effie, Arthur, and Nyx. I will talk about the two flanks prior to the water draining first. Silas heads to the west to put his new ability to use Javalins to work killing the oni savages from across the wall with the help of Nyx using the fire orb, and Felicia grabs the gold from the house and heads back to the center. If everything hits Silas kills the second on turn 3 and starts heading back to the center, while Nyx mans the orb until driven off by the threat range of throwing clubs after the water is gone. Effie and Arthur head off to the east to deal with the archers before they can claim the ballista. Selena joins the fight in the east as soon as she arrives, and with their powers combined (and drinking a lot of vulneraries) they manage to push back and slay the archers at the bridge.When the water drains they fall back (finally claiming the master seal on the way), and Effie positions herself to hold the gap in the sea wall in the east. For the center Corrin pairs up with Ophelia so that Azura can dance them and drop Corrin just ahead of the gap in the wall to the south with Ophelia ready to attack stance just behind him. Niles uses the ballista for a little chip. Second turn only one ninja should remain of the forces attacking the gap, so Ophelia kills it, Elise heals up Corrin, Corrin goes in the space the closest ninja would have to use to attack stance kill Ophelia; Niles uses the ballista again to add some chip to the forces in the center, and is danced to keep ninja from attack stance killing him. The turn Camilla and Beruka arrive, they can both kill some of the troops in the center, and together with Niles, Corrin, Ophelia (plus and Azura dance) should be able to clear it and put Corrin into the edge of enemy ranges across the bridge to the east. Turn 4 is spend dealing with these new threats, kill as many Pegasi as can be reached and preparing to take the south eastern village. Depending on the way things go Oboro either dies turn 4 or 5. Turn 5 someone takes the southeastern village, as the rest prepare for the troops moving in on the west, and finishing up the stragglers of Oboro's posse, and Silas prepares for the gap in the wall the enemy is about to make. Sorry if things get vague, but I had two resets on last turn, and the three runs were all slightly different, and merge together slightly in my mind, but generally the south western village is fought over just before Takumi activates the dragon vein, and Hinata dies shortly after when he joins the skirmish around the house. Niles is used to pop the defense stance pegasi, with some Azura priority to make sure they aren't an issue. Effie plus whatever support I can get her holds off the eastern reinforcements, while Camila and Silas have to rush back to find a way to hold off the western ones. In the first failed run I was a bit late getting to the south western house, so some forces got bogged down there, as it drew some of the western reinforcements, then an unlucky miss near the end of turn leaves one enemy alive in the middle of those defenders, and a ninja to the far south just barely has the reach to finish off whomever he damages (and Elise was too far north to freeze the problem ninja). The second failed round I simply underestimated the damage potential of the last wave of archers, and Effie dies in the last combat of the map. The winning run I had Corrin draw some of the eastern reinforcements south to relieve some pressure from Effie, to make sure that didn't happen again.

Chapter 11 - First thing I will say is that prior to tackling any of the rooms I always make sure my entire army is in position to deal as much damage as possible, so place slower moving units as close to the action as I can get them before drawing the enemy, and Azura close enough to Elise that she can pair-up and use her horse to reach whoever needs dancing that turn. My 10 man team was Corrin, Ophelia, Niles, Azura, Felicia, Silas, Elise, Effie, Arthur, and Beruka. On my first run I started heading to Rinkah's room, draw them in with Effie, and wipe out the lot of them on my turn. In Azama's room I draw them in with Elise (being careful to make sure the archer can't be part of an attack stance against her), and wipe them out on my turn. The hexing rod hits Elise with the first use, Silas with the seond, and Azura with the third, before I kill Azama. Then I seriously look at the Samurai room and realize that I have approached it from the wrong side. Its clear that using a freeze staff on the lunger makes that room manageable, but the enemies that can target the stairs can target both defenses, so I go back and start heading up the other path. Setsuna's room is easy with everyone (except Corrin) having a ranged attack, and knowing that you do not take counter damage when you kill them. Kaze's room was a little tricky, but with horse spirit Ophelia reaches the speed she needs to double and one round the oni savage before he can trigger the ninja lunge blender. I end up having an unlucky miss on one of the ninjas that leaves me with no space to get the last hit to kill him and I have to restart. This time I start going left, and use a more strategic lunge with Beruka to get the attacks I need on the ninja and clear the room. I then use Elise to freeze the lunging paired-up samurai, and end Effie with a Javalin on the stairs. Then everyone piles in, Beruka lunges the furthest enemy to get them close enough to kill, and I manage to wipe out everyone except the frozen pair, and those he can reach are physically bulky enough to take his hit. Finishing him I then realize that I can bait out the Hexing rod from this room, and decide to take it on the three units that would die if they saw any physical combat (Azura, Felicia, and Elise) I then clear the other side with the same strategy as before and prepare for Hinoka's formation. I probably shouldn't have, but I took the tedious effort of wiping the whole formation out before killing her. The two Pegasi were fairly easy to deal with, a strong range attack with a solid attack stance takes them out, and Silas shelters the attacker so Hinoka can't punish them for it. The defense pairing samurai were the issue. I didn't have the power to one shot them from range, and to get everyone out of Hinoka's attack range I had to dance the range attacker, shelter Azura and pull back. Effie could dish out more than they could heal, but the perfect guard arrives in time to keep them from dying, so I stubbornly try to out heal them. Part way into this I realize they have more staff uses than I do, so I have to get creative, cycling through ranged attackers so the tiny passive healing Azura gives lets them survive a second hit before bothering to heal. By the time they fall I do not have enough heal uses left to heal up everyone, but I don't need it. The main danger of Hinoka is all the support skills stacked on her, and I probably could have taken her without killing the gentilhomme Samurai, I just wanted to see if I could.

Chapter 12 - With Elise too sick to deploy, and two forced deployed units our 10 are Corrin, Ophelia, Niles, Azura, Felicia, Silas, Effie, Laslow, Peri and Beruka. 1st turn I position every but Laslow and Azura in range of the +4 Defense pot and break it, then dance Peri and move her just into the edge of the enemy range, and move Effie into attack stance position, trade Peri a Javalin to counter at range, and move Corrin a bit forward. 2nd turn Beruka chips the enemy that only hit Peri via attack stance, Felica heal Peri, and she claim that last kill. Silas is able to get to get into Saizo's range with a Javalin thanks to a dance (and Effie hitches a ride to get closer to the action but outside attack range) and everyone else move as close as possible. 3rd turn Saizo is injured, and Peri pushes forward to get the kill with the Javalin; Corrin breaks a pot with his sword to give Effie the attack stance kill on Kagero; Beruka then attack stance lunge kills the next ninja to let Ophelia safely Calamity gate kill the next; then Felicia move forward to first trade with Peri for the ability to kill enemy units, and then heal up Silas; then Silas chips the last ninja, but more importantly keep him from targeting Ophelia after the silence staff goes off. The next turn is spent ensure everything in the ninja room is dead, every enemy near the left exit dies on enemy phase,and those near the right exit die next turn. These things occur over the next couple of turns depending on where everyone ended up, so talking about specific turns gets too difficult for me to remember from here on out. Silas stands in the range of the archer trapped in the center, with Corrin assist, takes a hit, kills it next phase and repeat for the other one; Felicia kills the spearman from across the pots with her new Flame Shuriken, and gets sheltered by Peri and separated; then Laslow breaks the freeze pot with no one else in range, Effie moves in between the two archer to assist in attack stance kills on them, and Beruka move just in range of the spearmen in the boss room. I then deal with the spearmen from the boss room while keeping the unmoving staff wielder alive so she blocks the space the archer on the other side need to hit my troops (despite being in their red range). Next turn I kill the staff user, the samurai to the right of Ryoma (and am ready to tank the other, and lure the 2 right archers into attacking Effie, and without them able to set up an attack stance they do not quite kill her. I should have just enough time to loot and slaughter the left room (Laslow again taking freezing pot duty) before I have to find a way to kill the reinforcement that are closing from the rear. After a delicate and deadly ranged dance in the pot maze I find I have just barely enough turns to have someone break the pot and have Niles grab the cheat in right room and kill Ryoma all on the last turn. The Ryoma takedown I setup has Corrin already in position to give an attack stance to Felicia, she hits and debuffs with the flame shuriken and is fast enough not to get doubled. Corrin then attacks with the Dragon (plus Felicia attack stance) and he is now in kill range. That being said getting the kill did cost me 2 resets, once when he crit Felica, and a second when I forgot he had vantage. With the recruiting of Peri, and the acquisition of the flame shuriken my team is complete

Will continue latter

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
Some edits needed

14 hours ago, joshcja said:

Sam room in 11 is ruined by a freeze stave charge. Ophies map top left has a fort we can park a unit on with Elise/Cammy attack stance on. We've got tonics and a +2 meal by now so we can star bloat to the sky. Now on Ophy alongside a tonic+dust asap can pretty much shred this map early as well.

Now that I think about it, I remember that the Samurai Room in Chapter 11 took me a few tries last week because I was only using seven main units plus an under-levelled Niles to open the chests. He he. I simply did not have enough power to assault the room in one Player Phase using only Attack Stance (a double Freeze might have done it.)

About the north-western section in Ophelia's Map, I would have to try it again without Guard Stance, but remember that I visit this map before Chapter 12 and that I do not use the pre-promotes (Camilla, in this case.) I do not think that there are two-ingredients meals at that time.
Anyway, I completed the map after two or three tries in Lunatic last week. I was just surprised that Eltosian Kadath could grab the NW chest without Guard Stance. That was nice.

All this is a pure theoretical exercise, for I do not feel ready for his ten-units and No-Guard-Stance challenge yet. He he.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:19 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

That being said I am taking a slight alteration on the backpack rule that I feels captures its spirit, in this case not using Guard Stance to defend (meaning separating pair-ups before end turn or ensuring they will not be targeted on enemy phase), except during support grinding runs to get permanent party members. Truth be told that is very similar to how I played on hard, I just have to think more about enemy attack stance when I do not give myself guard stance as an option.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, starburst said:

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to how one would handle the bottom room in chapter 26 without Guard Stance, what with all the Berserkers, Generals, and two Maids spamming Freeze.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to how one would handle the bottom room in chapter 26 without Guard Stance, what with all the Berserkers, Generals, and two Maids spamming Freeze.

I am not to the chapter yet so I am just theory crafting at this point. The most promising thing I see glancing over the map is I could use the spy weapon from that chapter to break the door, shelter the door-breaker, dance the one who used shelter, and then use my other shelter unit to pull the dancer out of range and thus open the door with everyone out of freeze range. If just opening the door triggers them to move that eliminates part of the problem, and even if it doesn't I still have a lot more control over where the battle takes place.

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Wow, I may have to try that chapter again with guard stance, cause that approach is just so different from how that map plays without it.

About Chapter 5, Ninja Gaiden gets to Level 7-8 in both Lunatic and Hard. There are a couple more reinforcements in Lunatic, but I think that their stats are the same. The first turns are like a puzzle, but Kaze still wipes the map relatively fast (around Turn 8.) Drop me a line when you wan to try it.

PART 3 - Everyone is here (Chapter 10-12)

Ch 10: I think that my approach would also work using pure Attack Stance, but I would have to try it and check the numbers.
From what I get from you message, I think that you should be more aggressive.
Nyx fires the Orb; Cornflakes & sweetheart take care of any and all SE Onis and Oboro and later keep the fliers on hold; Effie & sweetheart visit the NE house, take care of the first two waves of Archers and later tackle the pesky fliers near the eastern house; Archer Mozu or Niles use the centre ballista and wipe fliers and wounded enemies in the centre; Camilla and someone hold the position at the SW house and later tank the remaining Onis NW; Beruka and Selena visit the NW house and tackle some Onis to buy time for their boss; Elise heals here and there and Azura helps people reach their destination. It is the same in Lunatic and Hard.

Ch 11: Interesting. I really need to try your No-Guard-Stance take and field all ten units (instead of the seven I usually do.)
I send everyone west, do the Archer Room first, then the Ninja Room (Javelin and Guard Stance), then the Samurai Room. In Lunatic, I only feel confident entering the Magicians Room if Elise is promoted (at L15-16), otherwise I ignore the whole east side and go directly after Hinoka.

Ch 12: I may have not been clear, but in-chapter recruitments are not considered for the 10 units total. So not only did you use Attack Stance exclusively but you also had a bigger challenge fielding only eight main units plus Peri and Laslow. That is impressive.
I usually find this chapter trickier than Ch 10, 17 or 19, but I completed in 11 turns during the weekend (getting both treasures, the Kodachi and the Flame Shuriken and defeating Ryoma.) Archer Mozu and Archer Effie ease the map.

Interesting read so far, mate. I guess that relying exclusively on Attack Stance may be easier to those experienced with pre-3DS games. I may only use ten units, but I still plan many moves considering Guard Stance.

Edited by starburst

On 8/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Do captures count towards things or are they exceptions?

The same 'rules' would apply to captured units, so they count to the ten-units max per map, and they cannot be used as 'backpacks' (say, capturing Master Ninjas only to boost Speed and Mov, but never using them for actual attack.)
I think that even if you used the captured units as cannon fodder on a certain situation in a map, it would still be fair if it was one of ten units fielded.

Note that fielding 10-units-max per map does not mean that your party can only consist of ten units. You can train more units and make substitutions according to the map and your approach. I normally conform my final party very early and stick to it, but I have replaced one unit with Velouria or Lucina or Ike (no Ragnell, though.) As long as they are not used as 'backpacks', it is all fair.

Edited by starburst

Now that I think about it, I remember that the Samurai Room in Chapter 11 took me a few tries last week because I was only using seven main units plus an under-levelled Niles to open the chests. He he. I simply did not have enough power to assault the room in one Player Phase using only Attack Stance (a double Freeze might have done it.)

About the north-western section in Ophelia's Map, I would have to try it again without Guard Stance, but remember that I visit this map before Chapter 12 and that I do not use the pre-promotes (Camilla, in this case.) I do not think that there are two-ingredients meals at that time.
Anyway, I completed the map after two or three tries in Lunatic last week. I was just surprised that Eltosian Kadath could grab the NW chest without Guard Stance. That was nice.

All this is a pure theoretical exercise, for I do not feel ready for his ten-units and No-Guard-Stance challenge yet. He he.

You can still get 2 or 3 boost meals off exquisite or similar levels + the ingredient boost.

As for north adventurer wyvern Elise at D axes can drag and drop a unit up there and just kill the entire topside in attack stance with a meal, tonics, and attack stance. Ez pz.

Edited by joshcja

Eltosian Kadath, I will wait until you comment on your progress before I share my experiences on my current run, but I am about to start Chapter 25 and I cannot imagine how your are going to deal with the fliers ambushes of Ch 24 without hiding the weaklings through Guard Stance. I guess that you could bench the squishy units and only field those capable of sustaining a couple of hits, but it is going to be tricky either way.

I do want to say that this has been one of my most satisfying campaigns.

I usually play on Hard because I find Lunatic too demanding to try new things, but this time I decided to reuse the exact same party and pairings on Lunatic immediately after finishing a Hard campaign, and assess how this team would do against greater difficulties.
My Lunatic-reflexes were rusty, but it has been a fun ride. I have come up with a couple of new strategies, and it has not taken me many more turns (I think.) I did get penniless earlier, I must say; probably because of tonics.

Now, onto the sweet Inevitable End chapters.

9 hours ago, starburst said:

From what I get from you message, I think that you should be more aggressive.

You are probably right, I kinda let the enemy movements draw me back and forth in the center whenever a large group started moving in, instead of focusing on one side before returning to the other; or committing a little more force to either flank might have let me get the drop on some key reinforcements.

9 hours ago, starburst said:

I send everyone west, do the Archer Room first, then the Ninja Room (Javelin and Guard Stance), then the Samurai Room. In Lunatic, I only feel confident entering the Magicians Room if Elise is promoted (at L15-16), otherwise I ignore the whole east side and go directly after Hinoka.

A trained Niles or Felicia might also be able to tank the opening volley, but with a small team I can see the risk of a miracle proc dissuading the attempt.

10 hours ago, starburst said:

Ch 12: I may have not been clear, but in-chapter recruitments are not considered for the 10 units total.

Yeah I didn't really figure that out until the Leo chapter (where Leo counting as a deployed unit would clearly contradicted the rules), I thought that when recruits start with your forces they counted as forced deploy slots.

11 hours ago, starburst said:

Interesting read so far, mate. I guess that relying exclusively on Attack Stance may be easier to those experienced with pre-3DS games. I may only use ten units, but I still plan many moves considering Guard Stance.

Maybe for setting up the enemy phase side of it, but getting the most out of the player phase side of Attack stance is its own logic. Playing a map on FEH after a session of this playthrough I had to keep reminding myself that attack stance doesn't exist and I have to play it like an older Fire emblem.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, joshcja said:

As for north adventurer wyvern Elise at D axes can drag and drop a unit up there and just kill the entire topside in attack stance with a meal, tonics, and attack stance. Ez pz.

You would need to find away to deal with the Apothecary that spawns with him to avoid effective damage on Else (plus whatever units can find a way to chain his effective hit in their attack stance), and even then you would need to be careful about positioning, while the Adventure doesn't attack himself enemy units can use him for attack stance to dish out half of the adventurers effective damage. Not saying it can't be done just that you would still need to put some more thought into it than ez pz implies

Part 4 The Black Pillar Cracks Beneath its weight (Chapters 13-15)

Spoiler

Chapter 13 - First map the full team is deployed. Turn 1 Ophelia goes her max distance east and kills one of the armors, and then Beruka and Peri pick up the kill on the Javalin wielder with Ophelia's attack stance, then Azura dances to get Ophelia the kill on the third, and Silas shelters Azura to pull her out of Takumi's range. Niles with an Effie attack stance and Felicia with a Corrin attack stance put themselves at the edge of the the diviners to the west's range to wipe them all out enemy phase. Turn 2 is mostly the group that went east rushing to rejoin everyone before the wyverns arrive, as Dragon Corrin baits Ororchi's bridge, with Felicia's demoiselle and devoted partner to help with the magic hit he will have to take. Turn 3 Niles easily one shots Orochi, and I start taking down her diviners (and injured Cav) with a focus on keeping my physically bulky units toward the outside of my formation (and on the bridge itself), and physically frail ones attack from within my formation, for at least 2 of the wyvern/armors will be able to target me on their turn. Getting these kills while keeping the formation defensively strong is tricky as those who went east will not be close enough to engage the farther enemies. Benny and Charlotte can help plug holes in the line, as both have a bit of bulk. On turn 4 Beruka hand axe lunges the hardest to reach wyvern/armor to make it easier to reach with attacks (and make the armor drop in a sensible place as opposed to the nonsense that occurs when they drop on water), with Niles able to one shot even paired wyverns (plus a dance to kill the second), and Ophelia and Felicia able to pop the two that switched to armor, the rest can just finish the group off with attack stances. Turn 5 I have Corrin hitch a ride with Elise to get dropped into Reina baiting range with a Lily poise, demoiselle (plus another demoiselle carted in) to add bulk, and Charlotte and Benny get left behind by acting as a transfer mules to help cart the people who had to deal with the more distant wyverns closer to the action. I did have one reset here when I initially thought I could tank Reina with Effie, due to using her equipped weapon for damage calcs instead of her steel bow. Turn 6 Niles OHKOs Reina with his own steel bow, and the rest of my army attack stances my way through the cavalry. Turn 7 I regroup and heal up as I wait for the adventurer to leave the bosses range. With him dead I no longer have to rush and take some time to grab the first treasure and start moving people in position to bait out and ambush Takumi's force from behind. Takumi's hate of Corrin draws him away from his armored friends, so that he dies friendless and alone. The only tricky part about dealing with the armors is that they slow enough that the magic users that started outside Takumi's range have a hard time reaching all of them, but Beruka's lunge, Silas's armor slayer, and Azura's dance let me finish them off anyway. With just Scarlet's guards left I get the feeling thing are going too well, so I lookup to see if this map has reinforcements, and sure enough it does, so I grab the rest of the loot and plan to draw them straight north. The only tricky thing about Scarlets crew is that I have to shelter transfer separate Ophelia to get her out of the reinforcements handaxe range after killing Scarlet, which leaves Silas to tank the wyvern reinforcements, thankfully that furthest houses limit number that can attack him (plus the demoiselle that Ophelia inherited from Elise helps too). Next turn I deal with the wyverns and in the following I sweep away the cavalry.

Chapter 14 - With Leo in the strictly no use category, My 10 man team soldiers on. Corrin gets dropped off by Beruka at the edge of Keaton's range so that he can recruit himself, while Effie draws in the paired Pegasi. Turn 2 Beruka finishes off the injure Peagasus, then Niles takes out her pair, and the bulk of starts wiping out the samurai and pegasi they get to without entering hexing rod range; Keaton and Corrin just pull back for now, and I make sure a healed Effie holds the point closest to the staff range. Turn 3 I have Corrin and some Cavalry deal with the archers, while everyone else sweep away the rest of the forces in this starting area. The next few turns are spent baiting out the hexing rod with Elise, Keaton and Azura. With that dealt with I use Felicia the staff user and set up attack stance and demoiselle support for Silas with the kodachi and Niles to deal with the two archer, and the throwing clubs to follow (I avoided using Javalins to keep a Pike-ruin club attack stance from ruining my day), while Keaton and Corrin bait the enfeeble staff. Range attacks and Beruka attacking from the water deals with the enemies on stage in a few turns. Next I bait the lunging archer with Effie and Ophelia combo to kill it before it can make things difficult, which causes the three paired Kinshi knight-Pegasi to spawn, so start of turn I set up the nearest one to have a Nilse's assisted suicide. With attack stance I remove the lone Pegasi/Kinshi knights, with Nilse getting danced to break the other two's defense stance, I remove the reinforcements that turn. The next few turns are spent dealing with the rushing from outside the freeze staves ranges, and the ones that follow on gathering loot and killing staff bots, until just the bosses trap is left. After getting my troops positioned I first use a Silas with Ophelia attack stance to kill the nearest archer from range (with horse spirit she should live a lone bow hit), and with a dance Niles puts an arrow into the entrapper...and then misses a 97%. The only way I can salvage this with how my troops are positioned is to have Leo pair-up with Beruka to get the movement to Lunge the other archer breaking the boss's attack stance and trapping it, but this tactic does not sit well with me, not only does the pair-up make use of Leo, but the boss could have targeted a guard stanced Beruka (he actually targeted the entrapped Niles), so I play through to the boss kill to prove the tactic sound and reset the map. This time I make sure Beruka is in the position to pull off the same maneuver without Leo's +1 movement, and find it unnecessary as Niles hits both shots this time. The last archer targets Niles and is easily killed next turn just leaving the boss. I start with an Effie Javalin with Felicia attack stance to debuff and deal some magic damage, but still need to soften him up to add him to my trophey dungeon, so I send in Silas due to him not having to worry about the boss criting, and instead Silas crits himself denying me the trophy, and with Elise one mend staff use away from reaching level 20. Oh well

Chapter 15 - Not a fan of this chapter. If I could deploy a staff user, or if Azura's Dragon Vein Replica could dance (even if it was only on turns that the real one chose not to dance) it would have been far more tolerable and interesting. Well I empty everyone's Vulneraries into the convoy, make sure Corrin gets the Kodachi and a Master Seal (for he will reach level 20 and then promote this map) and fill Azura's inventory with Vulneraries so she can pass them around and pretend she is useful on bottom map. This map is hard to keep track of while playing with the two versions sharing health, equipped weapon, and stats, let alone report on after the fact so sorry for vagueness. Most of the map was keeping Gunter and Corrin close enough to attack stance, making sure they were not drawing too many enemies and trying to make the most of both turns they had. Things do get interesting near the end when I make a fatal error, I forget to account for the debuffs from the last ninja on top map to the damages calcs I already did on the bottom map, and Gunter that black pillar of strength cracks beneath its weight. RIP Gunter, I am about to restart when I get to thinking, I do not plan on using him and I am making good time on this map so I press on, despite the loss and only having 2 vulnerary uses left (in retrospect I probably also had access to the 3 use one Gunter had before from the convoy, I just didn't know so at the time). I manage to clear the top map on the next enemy phase, but then things slow down a lot. With only 1 action that does anything I am relying more and more on the Grim Yato and enemy phase despite my low vulnerary count. Just before taking the last 3 fighter I chug my last vulnerary on a woods (and am still not at full health), and wait it out with the Grim Yato. Thankfully I dodge their hits while killing the two melee ones, and the hand axe wielder goes down just as quick. I reach the boss on turn 19, and it is a close call, attacking with the Dragon stone I take just over half my remaining health in return, but due to his Strong Riposte I live his turn with 2 HP and finish him on the last turn.

I have gotten through chapter 19 now so expect another part in the future. Also I am considering switching Beruka for Percy (Would be Effie as mom due to laziness) mostly because Beruka is falling a bit behind her averages on speed (only by 2 points, but it really impacted her bulk on chapter 19) and Percy being a boy could take advantage of the triple demoiselle.

Maybe for setting up the enemy phase side of it, but getting the most out of the player phase side of Attack stance is its own logic.

Yeah, I understand. And larger chapters like Ch 23 and 24 rely on pure Attack Stance on Player Phase to advance, for the party is easily outnumbered in various sections. But we will discuss it when you reach those chapters.

Part 4 The Black Pillar Cracks Beneath its weight (Chapters 13-15)

A noticeable difference in these chapters is that my Elise always promotes at L15-16 before Ch 12 (during the Children Maps); and the rest of the party, by Ch 13-14 at L18. Now, there is enough Experience for ten units to promote them all at L20 and still reach L20/20 by Ch 25-26, but I prefer the stat increases and being able to gain weapon ranks and to learn L25 skills sooner.

Ch 13: Strategist Elise trivialises the west side of Ch 13, even after Seal Resistance.
I send her accompanied by a high Res unit like Kaze, Niles, Nina or Anna. Benny and Charlotte assist them with the Flying Knight pairs. Make sure that Reina is lured to the east side, for she is an annoying party crasher on the west.
I see that you ambush Taco, which may be required when no Guard Stance is used and none of your units can tank the Knight attacks followed by Taco's. With Guard Stance, however, the eastern bridge is super easy with Odin or Ophelia, for Taco will always face a full bar. Alternatively, a servant should be able to Freeze Taco (my only staff user by then is Elise, busy elsewhere.) Then it is advancing on the eastern bridge using Attack Stance, relying on the Amour Slayer and Cornflake's Dragon Stone, killing all enemies bar one pair in one phase.
I would have to try your ambush approach.

Ch 14: I really need to come up with a strategy for the Archer section without Guard Stance.
I usually just send an Archer paired-up (who double and kills the enemy Archers in one phase), and keep Elise around to heal. The Maid will burn all of her Freeze charges on this pair. And I use Leo and Xander as Jimmy Choo Boots for Azura. Still zero battles and zero Experience, but some contribution to the cause.

I feel bad about your restarting at the end of the chapter because that one missing tile. I mean, you are doing a particular No-Guard-Stance challenge with ten units, and on Lunatic. Commendable.

Ch 15: You had a thrilling experience. He he. Like Ch 5, I play the first turns like a puzzle, but perfectly reproducible.
I do not remember your Corrin's boon, but a Nohr Noble with a forged Fire (borrowed from Elise) cleans the map using only Attack Stance. I do it every time, either already promoted or promoting at L20 during the first turns of this chapter. While I focus on 'flakes and she always reaches D-rank in tomes on this map, I do equip Azura with upgrades for Gunter. At least a Hand Axe, which is particularly useful against the Ninjas. If available, a forged Javelin, a forged Steel Axe or a Nohrian Blade are welcome.
I believe that I use two or three Vulneraries (that is, 6-9 heals), but I do not pay attention precisely because I do not use that many.

Edited by starburst

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Percy being a boy could take advantage of the triple demoiselle.

Terribly sorry, but skill effects don't stack. Ergo, being in the range of multiple units with a skill like Demoiselle is no more effective than being in the range of only one.

Not entirely certain why adventurers or apoths play a part in chophelia, we can raid all 4 villages with the posted haulanus>Dropunitinrange>Bookit method before turn 3 and then chill out in the desert tiles for really controlled feeding.

Not hating on your approach. JS.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, starburst said:

A noticeable difference in these chapters is that my Elise always promotes at L15-16 before Ch 12 (during the Children Maps); and the rest of the party, by Ch 13-14 at L18. Now, there is enough Experience for ten units to promote them all at L20 and still reach L20/20 by Ch 25-26, but I prefer the stat increases and being able to gain weapon ranks and to learn L25 skills sooner.

I was torn about whether or not I should early promote especially with Elise, but I know the last chapters of Conquest are very hard, and I was worried those couple of extra stat points might make the difference in the end.

I see that you ambush Taco, which may be required when no Guard Stance is used and none of your units can tank the Knight attacks followed by Taco's. With Guard Stance, however, the eastern bridge is super easy with Odin or Ophelia, for Taco will always face a full bar. Alternatively, a servant should be able to Freeze Taco (my only staff user by then is Elise, busy elsewhere.) Then it is advancing on the eastern bridge using Attack Stance, relying on the Amour Slayer and Cornflake's Dragon Stone, killing all enemies bar one pair in one phase.
I would have to try your ambush approach.

I had an early attempt where I tried to send my army east, but anyone who could tank the Takumi+Armor hit would draw in the mage instead (and killing the mage would give Takumi an easy kill) so Takumi would use his bow's power to position himself on the water in such a way that I would have to leave half the bridge filled with armors to have the spaces to deal with him. I might have been able to Lunge him into a better position, but I didn't think I could reach the adventurer in time taking this route so I tried a different approach.

I do not remember your Corrin's boon, but a Nohr Noble with a forged Fire (borrowed from Elise) cleans the map using only Attack Stance. I do it every time, either already promoted or promoting at L20 during the first turns of this chapter. While I focus on 'flakes and she always reaches D-rank in tomes on this map, I do equip Azura with upgrades for Gunter. At least a Hand Axe, which is particularly useful against the Ninjas. If available, a forged Javelin, a forged Steel Axe or a Nohrian Blade are welcome.
I believe that I use two or three Vulneraries (that is, 6-9 heals), but I do not pay attention precisely because I do not use that many.

I went with Speed boon/Luck Bane. Honestly your weapon suggestions sound excellent. Being able to get out of the E rank hump here might make me think more about tomes on a Corrin without a Magic boon.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Terribly sorry, but skill effects don't stack. Ergo, being in the range of multiple units with a skill like Demoiselle is no more effective than being in the range of only one.

Huh you are right. What happened when figuring out my first turn of chapter 16 had me convinced, but I guess it was just a quirk in the RNs that the times Niles survived first turn coincided with Ophelia being two spaces away, and the times he died were when she wasn't (well I guess there was the death with Ophelia there that made it clear the Berserker has a crit chance with the attack stance hit he gives the Sorceresses on the ledge). At least Lily Poise, Demoiselle and Supportive/Devoted partner stack.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:16 PM, joshcja said:

Not entirely certain why adventurers or apoths play a part in chophelia, we can raid all 4 villages with the posted haulanus>Dropunitinrange>Bookit method before turn 3 and then chill out in the desert tiles for really controlled feeding.

Not hating on your approach. JS.

Fair enough. In case you are curious the apothecary (if you are far enough in the game they have promoted to Mechanists) and Adventurers come in as reinforcement from the desert (plus one more Adventure who starts near the East).

Part 5 Speed Demons (Chapters 16-19)

Spoiler

Chapter 16 - With an extra Xander in the do nothing column my 10 get ready. A few first turn restarts makes it clear I need to focus on west first, so Niles baits in nearest Dark Mage to the north west as well as the two on the ledge (all of which he kills enemy phase), and the ledge pair convince the Berserker up there to join in the attack stance which is the really dangerous part, he takes advantage of a Lily Poise & Demoiselle boost (plus a little luck) to survive it, with Felicia and Ophelia near enough that their demoiselle would help if it could, and to clear that section next turn. Corrin tanks the fighters on the other side. The might of Felicia's Flame Shuriken with an attack stance from Niles kills the Berseker who moved up the ledge, Elise goes to the other-side to heal Corrin, caps level and get one of my healer to the other side, Ophelia, a danced Felicia, and Niles finish off the nearby troops in the north west, the physical units on the other side do the same. Now I have Felicia heal up poor Niles, Elise promotes to Strategist and positions herself for a Liliy poise boost on the whoever has to tank the Berserker+Sorcerer (I think it was Corrin, but that might have been on the faster run that ended in the East), while Silas and Ophelia head back to deal with 2 swordsman that move before being baited. On my winning run I tried to the lure the Berserker in the back into joining in an attack stance with the Sorcerer in the north west, but the Sorcerer took the free hit on Niles instead, while the South West finished off the promoted enemies, lures the paired-up Fighter with Beruka, get the first talk, and have Elise bait in as many mages as she could without angering the Berserker. Next turn we just clear out the West, but don't quite get the other talk in. Niles has capped level so on his turn he promotes to bow knight, and we spend about two turns getting everyone back to center. having learned from a run that was about a turn and a bit faster I need to be extra careful in how many of the Eastern force I draw in, so I focus on the south east pulling in the initial forces with Silas with a Lily Poise Demoiselle boost due to his physical bulk without having a weakness to any of the special swords or arrows. I take things fairly carefully clearing out the everything in the south east and getting the talk in the far east before heading North. A bit before the talk Silas caps and promotes to Paladin. As an extra precaution I wait a turn to make sure I have everyone available to kill Shura when he spawns, ending with a 15 turn clear and make some Shura skin boots to boot. Although I could have probably shaved off two or three turns (I know I can pull off the win in the west at least a turn faster with a couple actions to spare, there was at least three key actions wasted getting the far eastern talk having forgotten Beruka can fly over the walls to reach him easier, plus the turn of Shura caution)

Chapter 17 - This chapter is hard to talk about in detail because of Saizo. Where I have to tiptoe around fast silver weapons and poison grisly wound combos he just charges in like a bull in a china shop, and his poison immunity lets him get away with it for the most part. My first few attempts I tried the trick I like to pull in hard where I use the dragon veins to close the door to the starting area in his face... twice, but I just do not have the royal to spare, and with the Lunatic skills on the ninja, having him draw in the debuffing 40% health drops while hard to fully plan was greatly appreciated. The opening was using Beruka with hand-axe to tank the Ninja Master while Effie with a Javalin in attack stance positioning tanks and kills the regular Ninja that assists. Second turn Beruka finished off the Master Ninja with a lone hand-axe, while entering the range of the Matser Ninja just outside the room and capping level, as Effie then uses her to attack stance kill the other ninja that lagged behind capping level as well. With a dance Beruka promotes to Wyvern Lord and then gets healed by Elise to gain the Lily poise boost as well. Next turn Effie Promotes to Great Knight, the Master Ninja dies, and Niles prepares to draw in a few more Ninja with Lily poise Demoiselle boost. Then it starts becoming a game of reacting to the enemies reactions to Saizo so thing get a bit vague. One thing I have always found true about this map is that if you can gain a foothold outside that first room you have won the map, although there were two close calls. First when I was clearing out the central room where the Samurai and Sword Master starts Silas has an unlucky miss on one of the Ninja and gets sent to uncomfortably low health, and with that miss there will be one Ninja left in that room at the end, but I still have a few more allies to move in. Fortunately the enemy staffbot doesn't move, and is taking up one of the spaces that could threaten Silas so I send Niles a little forward to clog the other when he made his attack. Saizo ends up being a big help drawing in the most dangerous enemies from the northern route, but we part ways after the chest with most of his route already cleared, and most of my forces are dealing with the area just beyond the samurai room. Ophelia caps and promotes to Sorceress and Peri caps as well, I debate a bit back and forth but with the way her stats are going I promote her to Great Knight figuring if I do not like how she performs I can switch her to Paladin, thus everyone who can promotes. The next close call comes the turn after a Life or Death Mechanist manages to kill Saizo. RIP Saizo and your precious speed wing. I almost drew that Mechanist south the turn before with Niles, but the number were close enough that I waited a turn to regain a point of defense and maybe heal (as Felicia was a bit too far ahead and Elise already acted), I didn't want to take the risk of me being wrong about what rank and whose rank cause the damage drop with weapon triangle. On the other hand I doubt I could have kept him from dying to Kotaro, with how many turns I wasted figuring out the AI behavior of his guards. The very next turn reinforcements show up to the far east and North, and I had a lot of troops far east having recently pushed in and cleared that area of enemies. I judge I should be able to take them, but forget to take into account the pillars movement penalty, so Silas and Niles aren't going to be able to reach, and one of the remaining two has a deadly Silver Shuriken. On top of those two I have Azura and Elise that are both even further out, but I manage to weasel my way out of it. I move Silas back a little; then have Azura pair-up with Elise, and have her reach the square adjacent to Silas, switch, transfer, and dance; then have him move just ahead of Niles, switch to Elise transfers Silas and then Freeze staffs the Silver Shuriken, while giving Niles the one point of movement to reach firing range of the other enemy; when he gets there he transfer Silas to get the attack stance to kill the other, leaving that last Mechanist with a silver Shuriken able to only to target a Niles on the stalagmites, who can take it. I am especially cautious the rest of the way through after that rather close call, and spend more turns than I would like to admit testing his guard's behavior. I devise a plan to Lunge the Lunger with Beruka's hand-axe to then kill him with ranged attacks across the wall, but I misclick. Not a big deal as this plan came about as a way to save a freeze staff use, so I just bite the bullet and freeze the lunger while killing one of the Ninja, and making sure everyone else is out of Kotaro's range and can tank the next turn. The following turn I finish off his guard, then have Niles clear the trap and Shelter him to safety just in case. Next turn I start assessing my option, and decide to go with Ophelia's Calamity gate, and shelter her out of the way for his turn, as she will live the hit, has a higher chance of hitting him than being hit, has an 11% crit, and no risk of being crit in return. She gets a crit on the first try so I just have Niles finish the job.

Chapter 18 - First thing I do is buy every armor and beast effective weapon I can from the shop and spread them out among my forces. With only 10 troops I concentrate my force in the West, leaving only Niles, Silas, and Peri in the east. Nile with a Silas attack stance draw in the nearest Sorcerer with his own Hero to attack stance with while Peri gets into enfeeble staffs from the other side of the wall. On the other side Corrin hitches a ride with Elise to hit the edge of the Generals to the south's range (with Lily Poise and Demoiselle to help dragon tank), and make sure Azura drains an enfeeble use from this side. Corrin gets frozen, but the western army is magically focus enough to wipe the floor with the generals, with Effie ending in range of the enemy Paladin above the cells that she equips a beast killer to deal with; meanwhile the troops on the east finish off the Sorcerer and Hero. Third turn my two armies reunite above the cells wiping out the troops there while being careful not to draw any troops from the north, or the Paladins from the south. It is clear I need to get my troops out of enfeeble range before dealing with the Paladins so the next turn is mostly spent in positioning and healing. I draw in the indoor horses with Corrin and all the buffs I can muster, and wipe trough them on the next turn. Next turn I bait the horses furthest south from just outside the General bosses range. Next turn I make the faithful decision to take on the General bosses the same turn as those two horses, dealing with the horses is easy but to crack the bosses's guard stance I end up having to do a first for this playthrough, using guard stance to hit an offensive benchmark. I started by hitting the guard stanced Boss with my highest damage effective weapon, and then I hit a bit of a snag as Ophelia is 1 attack point away from finishing him with Lightning, no one else is as close to finishing him, he will one shot any of my magic users on his return shot, and using another effective weapon would force me to place one in Freeze staff range to deal with the other  General. I could try for a Mjolnir crit, but giving Ophelia a pairup to give her the magic she needs to finish off the guard stance is far more reliable, and I have the means of dealing with the other with the extra attack stance damage. Now there are four cavalry I could ignore at this point, but I decide to do something a little silly and send Effie with the beast killer and a Corrin to finish them quickly while the rest of my troops sweep away the reinforcements while getting to that central area above the cells, and this all takes about 3 turns. At this point Effie and Corrin have cleared out that hive but have about 2-3 turn till they can regroup, the left enfeeble staff is fully depleted while the right one has one charge left, but it is clearly time to start clearing out the north. Niles and Felicia draw in the Sorcerers they can without having to face a physical attack stance while Silas draws in the nearest Hero. There is a close call on the next turn as I miss that one of the remaining Mages can attack Silas, and he lives it on 1 health. The turn after Effie and Corrin are just returning as the rest of the troops finish off the remnants up north while avoiding the range of the pair-ups in the boss room, and start having Niles rush to get the chests. Looking at the boss room I have a plan I will use Ophelia to Mjolnir the hero pair, dance her if the almost 50% crit fails, finish the guard stance, send in Elise to attack the next unit and block the door at the same time, and if I need to shelter both dancer and Ophelia to give Felicia the room she needs to get the kill, but alas she crits on the first shot, so it ends up being an easy kill. The reinforcements and paired up Sorcerers can be dealt with, and I wait until Niles finishes looting before dealing with the lone Zola

Chapter 19 - Those paying attention to my team might realize I have a bit of a problem with this map. Every enemy has beast bane, and 5 of my 10 are vulnerable to it. Of the 5 remaining Azura and Felicia can't take physical hits, Ophelia isn't much better, and Beruka is having a bit of a speed issue. At her current speed she is double by every enemy except the absolute slowest ones on the map, which only really leaves Corrin as a good option to tank enemies. In retrospect a tonic and speed meal could have helped but even then the fastest of them ( & Kaden) would have doubled her even with the dance boost. With a lot of enemies having pass, and their superior movement rates through the trees, and frustratingly high avoid keeping my troops safe is going to be a challenge. Thankfully they have no ranged options and are vulnerable to beast killing weapons. Now I conceptualize this map as having 5 main groups, there is the group that starts by rushing you, there is the Life or Death group to the north, the group all on the same illusion timer to the west, and the mixed illusion timer group to the north west, and of course Kaden's posse. Of those 5 the Life or Death group and the same illusion timer group are easy to deal with. The Life or Death group take so much damage they should be wiped out in a turn even with a few dodges. Any group that you can whittle down to a single illusion timer are easy to deal with, and the group that starts as such make that abundantly clear. I can set up Corrin to tank their free hit, everyone attacks knowing they will enter illusion mode and can't retaliate on their turn, then spend the next turn making sure only Corrin can be hit and can take it. At first I think I need to use a freeze staff to keep from being overwhelmed by the rushing group, but I find that if I hug the mountains slightly north I can get those coming from the north clustered together enough that I can wipe them and only leave Corrin targetable by the rest of the rushers, but I have to manage my space very carefully, and Effie needs to hit the paired up one with the beast killer at a mid to high 70s hit rate to do it, also this setup leaves Corrin open to 2 attacks with attack stance so he needs to use the dragon stone instead of the more damaging Yato to tank the hit. Dealing with the rest of the rushers is easy, and I have covered what makes the next two groups easy to deal with so I will move on to the mixed timer illusions. By now I have defense rally, so Corrin can dish out the hurt with Yato far safer, but a lot of dealing with this mixed group is just retreating and setting up as many Yato with beast killer attack stance kills as I can safely until one of the of the illusion timing is dead, but the two runs I had that passed this point had their little hiccups when I started to run out of space to back up (mostly due to terrain slowing us down). In the first I drew them south, and around the starting area I end up having to send some troops to hug the mountains, a couple hiding in the south east corner, and Niles and Peri sneaking north, which spreads the enemies enough that I can eliminate them, but I forgot to break the tree beforehand, so one of them in illusion form corner Peri and Niles, so I drop them onto mountain spaces and Niles dodges it, surviving the last hurdle. The winning run I drew them east across the broken tree, being more aggressive with Corrin's drawing in to kill specifically one of the illusion timings, but I have a miss on one of them, and it was deep in the formation, while I can get the troops that were keeping Corrin going (healers, Effie+Beast Killer to attack stance,  Beruka's defense rally, Niles skill rally to try and make  things more accurate etc.) safe this turn, I am running out of safe space, so in the next Illusion cycle I take my chance, I know some of my physical troops can take a single effective hit (without enemy attack stance), and with it damaged they might end it there, so I move to the offensive and wipe out everything else, and do what I can to hide my frailer units. Again it went for Niles to avoid the counter and he dodges. As for the fight with Kaden and his bodyguard it went fairly similar both times, although the first time Kaden crits Corrin and my jaw drops, but with the illusion troops unable to attack stance he lives it in the single digits with all the boosts I have on him. The real difference is where the enemies ended up dodging; after tanking Kaden I can try to draw in and kill the two on the other illusion cycle with Yato and Beast Killer attack stance, but everything has to hit, and the losing run had a miss on the first, the winning run had a miss on the second. I repeat this plan for the next two turns, but the constraints of catching both of them a second time didn't give me the space to let Corrin tank Kaden a third time safely, but with only one the next turn I can draw Kaden towards the bridge while some of my troops hide in the south western corner. If the enemy were less dodgy this would be far more manageable, but as things stand I will take the win.

I will probably not get much done in the game this weekend due to a convention, and I am still debating whether or not to switch Beruka for Percy. The two big things for Beruka are that mine is particularly Resistance blessed (+4 from average), and that her personal skill is far more offensively oriented (if situational), and being effectively 2 levels above his offspring seal level up. Percy will likely be faster, but at their speed levels that is just reducing how many things double him, additionally he would get Luna from his mother and the easy setup of -2 damage from Demoiselle. Additionally it is clearly overdue for Corrin to grab a level 5 promoted skill from his specialty (and do Invasion2, and possibly Nina's map if I want to commit poor Felicia to marrying Niles), and while my original plan was to grab speed rally, it is tempting to grab Air Superiority to give me the leg up on Hinoka's chapter.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
needed to fix a small detail

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I was torn about whether or not I should early promote especially with Elise, but I know the last chapters of Conquest are very hard, and I was worried those couple of extra stat points might make the difference in the end.

It is a bet. Either you stay and get a couple of hopefully relevant level-ups, or promote and rely on new bases and new abilities.

In Elise's case, Magic is not the problem, for having 22 or 26 Mag as L1 Strategist is overkill anyway. I do worry about her Skill, for some times she has 11 or 12 Skill at L15-16, and some others she has 6 or 7. It defines whether she uses Fire for life or is able to wield Thunder and Lightning chapters later. I promote her earlier for utility: a L15 or a L20 Troubairitz does exactly the same, while a L15/1 Strategist has an active role.
In Ch 13, for example, you mentioned being worried about not reaching the Adventurer on time. You know who gets to the Adventurer on my campaigns? Elise. After wiping the magicians gang with a companion.

I went with Speed boon/Luck Bane. Honestly your weapon suggestions sound excellent. Being able to get out of the E rank hump here might make me think more about tomes on a Corrin without a Magic boon.

I usually go +Mag, but a Cornflakes with tonics wielding Fire +1 and Gunter in Attack Stance should be able to kill the ghosts of Ch 15. And your +Speed 'flakes will double everyone. If available, put the Horse Spirit in the convoy so that 'flakes can use it later in the chapter.

Additionally it is clearly overdue for Corrin to grab a level 5 promoted skill from his specialty (and do Invasion2, and possibly Nina's map if I want to commit poor Felicia to marrying Niles), and while my original plan was to grab speed rally, it is tempting to grab Air Superiority to give me the leg up on Hinoka's chapter.

+5 Speed is super useful, and between Rally Skill and Air Superiority, the latter might be more useful. I prefer Rallies on a back-liner and not on a vanguard, though.

Anything that helps mitigate the annoying Flying Gang of Ch 24 is welcome; specially for you, who are not using Guard Stance. But 'flakes would have to spend three level-ups as Kinshi, and the following two maps (Ch 20 and 21) are tricky. Or perhaps you want to use a Kinshi to ferry units in the Stairway of Hell. Chapter 22 is the next relatively easy map.
In these cases, promoting a bit earlier (say, at L18) might also be beneficial, for your units would learn L25 skills in Ch 17-18.

Edited by starburst

I usually go +Mag, but a Cornflakes with tonics wielding Fire +1 and Gunter in Attack Stance should be able to kill the ghosts of Ch 15. And your +Speed 'flakes will double everyone. If available, put the Horse Spirit in the convoy so that 'flakes can use it later in the chapter.

+Mag Corrin is a fun build; I went with speed mostly for the versatility. I am honestly regretting not grinding up his magic rank, Horse spirit would be a great Tome on Corrin, and I am not sure where or if I can find the time to get him the D rank to use it.

Anything that helps mitigate the annoying Flying Gang of Ch 24 is welcome; specially for you, who are not using Guard Stance. But 'flakes would have to spend three level-ups as Kinshi, and the following two maps (Ch 20 and 21) are tricky. Or perhaps you want to use a Kinshi to ferry units in the Stairway of Hell. Chapter 22 is the next relatively easy map.
In these cases, promoting a bit earlier (say, at L18) might also be beneficial, for your units would learn L25 skills in Ch 17-18.

Part of it is that Corrin is sitting on 96 XP, so its closer to 2 levels of Kinshi if I switch now. I am kinda hoping he will still be Kinshi for ferrying troops on the stairway, but I think I can find a way without as well. With regard to the level 25 skills, I have only two regrets, having defense rally a little earlier would have been nice, but it there by the time I needed it most, and an earlier promoted Corrin could have picked up the Kinshi skills far safer, by his level chapter 19 would have been the best time to swap but that would have been disastrous. Although if the level 35 skills come too late I may be in a bit of a pickle as Shuriken Breaker is my go to way of dealing with parts of chapter 25

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

+Mag Corrin is a fun build; I went with speed mostly for the versatility. I am honestly regretting not grinding up his magic rank, Horse spirit would be a great Tome on Corrin, and I am not sure where or if I can find the time to get him the D rank to use it.

By Ch 24, my +Mag Corn had C-swords, B-tomes and B-stones. And if you consider that she most likely got C-swords in Ch 7, you can see what my focus was. He he.

+Mag Corn with tonics and Horse Spirit is my wall in the nasty room of Ch 26. She would really love Vantage. But if you give her a Sol unit in Guard Stance, she goes full The Walking Dead. So, yeah, Horse Spirit is broken.

24 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Part of it is that Corrin is sitting on 96 XP, so its closer to 2 levels of Kinshi if I switch now. I am kinda hoping he will still be Kinshi for ferrying troops on the stairway, but I think I can find a way without as well.

I just suffered Ch 21 with no fliers and only two horses (Paladin Sophie and Strategist Elise), and it was very tricky (reproducible, but always living on the edge.) I cannot imagine it with no Guard Stance, but I will be crossing fingers for you, mate.