I can't get attached to any modern anime

Hecatia

A friend made me watch episodes of some famous ones like My Hero Academia and that one where kids are like being raised for consumption for aliens, and even though I liked em' I find difficult to get attached to them to see the entire series by myself like I did with Kinnikuman and some more of the same.

And I'm sure that's not nostalgia blocking my way.

8 hours ago, Florete said:

If it's not nostalgia, what do you think it is?

7 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

could just be a style thing, newer stuff is written differently from older series, and that could be a turn off.

I honestly don't know... Most popular modern anime don't appeal to me and I simply don't get why...

7 hours ago, De Geso said:

The issue might be that you aren't expanding your genre boundaries. What kind of anime do you normally watch? Mostly shonen, I take it?

Last modern anime that followed until the end was Nichijou, I really loved it!
I used to watch/read Sailor Moon, Slayers, Kinnikuman, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Dr. Slump, Slam Dunk, Marmalade Boy, Sakura Card Captor, Strawberry 100%, LuckyStar, Shaman King, Dragon Ball... I remember being picked on for reading/watching Shojo a lot too... I even read some Yaoi because it's amusing and now I openly discuss about those with my girlfriend.

But it's mostly modern Shonen that I find difficult to get attached with, now that I think about it... Like, I tried to watch Black Clover and it didn't made me feel anything at all. My Hero Academia did a little something, but not enough.

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

But it's mostly modern Shonen that I find difficult to get attached with, now that I think about it... Like, I tried to watch Black Clover and it didn't made me feel anything at all. My Hero Academia did a little something, but not enough.

Maybe watch something that isn't anime, if you don't already. I know how you feel, honestly, and lately I've been experiencing a strange reversal of sorts where the western shows I've picked up lately feel fresh and new just because they're not anime - like how anime was when I first started it. I do still watch anime, but I'm super picky with what I choose to watch because I know anime in general well enough to see the tiny details that make a show likely to suck...and yet I still end up with stinkers from time to time. One of my most anticipated titles from last season, Release the Spyce, ended up being pretty dull.

But if you still want to watch anime, just try something a little more out of the norm from what you usually watch.

3 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

to be fair, Black Clover is as generic as generic gets, so it makes sense why you wouldn't feel anything

I have a hard time getting into modern anime as well. I took a long break from anime up until last year, and there's really only been a handful of shows that really grabbed me.

That said, the second season of Mob Psycho 100 just started, and that's totally worth the time.

On 27-1-2019 at 7:25 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

could just be a style thing, newer stuff is written differently from older series, and that could be a turn off.

It could also be the opposite and that the new stuff is being held back by being the same as came before. 

My Hero adresses some problems with the typical shonen show but on the whole it remains a typical Shonen show with jerk rivals, tournament arc and an underdog hero. Maybe that's perfect for someone that's looking for a new Naruto but if not it might just seem more of the same.

Black Clover has the reputation of being even worse by just being every generic shonen cliche pushed into one anime. So if someone already watched Naruto and Fairy Tail then it could be hard to convince him of Black Clover's merits.

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It could also be the opposite and that the new stuff is being held back by being the same as came before. 

My Hero adresses some problems with the typical shonen show but on the whole it remains a typical Shonen show with jerk rivals, tournament arc and an underdog hero. Maybe that's perfect for someone that's looking for a new Naruto but if not it might just seem more of the same.

Black Clover has the reputation of being even worse by just being every generic shonen cliche pushed into one anime. So if someone already watched Naruto and Fairy Tail then it could be hard to convince him of Black Clover's merits.

I wouldn't call Midoriya an underdog hero considering he has One For All, one of the most powerful quirks in the series and..

Spoiler

about 5 other quirks within One For All.

But yeah, My Hero Academia does a lot of the same patterns of shonen preceding it, but does it well.

13 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
30 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't call Midoriya an underdog hero considering he has One For All, one of the most powerful quirks in the series and..

I don't really think One For All makes him any less of an underdog considering he has no clue how to use it and needs to spend most of the early seasons stuck in the strategist role because he's not ready for actual combat yet. He got the hang of it now and it got him several new powers but it was only since Stain that Deku could fight reliably and the additional powers only came after the Manga ran for quite some time. He's also an underdog in the personality department since he's the type of nerd that likely got pushed into lockers or got his lunchmoney stolen a lot, he's very timid and aside from Uraraka and All Might no one had any faith in him in the beginning. Deku won his new classmates over very quickly but in his old class he got bullied and when first trying to get into UA everyone already wrote him off the moment he entered the building. 

That said the show uses the underdog vs genius rival in an interesting way. Its the genius Bakugo that has most problems fitting in with the class due to his attitude while Deku gets embraced pretty quickly by being so nice to everyone. Its also implied that the early headstart of Bakugo left his development more static compared to Deku who was constantly improving. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Things that also make me not go for a series is the amount of edgyness?edginess? Like if the series visual thingies are dark and keeps going that way, I grow bored of it and move on.

On 28-01-2019 at 1:20 AM, Florete said:

But if you still want to watch anime, just try something a little more out of the norm from what you usually watch.

Hmm... Recently I've been trying to watch things like modern western animation and honestly, I prefer to watch 90's cartoons because those make me laugh and I genuinely enjoy them much more. It's weird because I understand modern jokes, but these don't make me laugh at all, not even a smirk.

If I may ask, what is your window of time for "Modern Anime?" Is it just this year's anime or does it extend to maybe the past 5 or 10 years? Maybe I could throw out some recommendations for you. I'm by no means an expert in anime, but I know some good shows.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

Hmm, if new anime do not get you attached maybe older manga made into anime late will?

For example JoJo's bizarre adventure, technically it is an old Manga.

I would like to promote Berserk here, but CGI is a turn off for many and its brutal.

You may also look at Parasyte, which is also a Manga from 90th. They tried their hardest to give us the same feeling in the anime which is still pretty new.

Another try is Magical Circle Guru Guru, the manga started 1992 and the newer anime from it gave some old school feelings. But it is targeted to a younger audience. Still heartwarming and funny.

I guess you don't know record of Lodoss war, but Record of Grancrest is written by the same author and these 2 projects are 20 years apart. It may be a different approach, but I think it could be worth a try. But compared to Record of Lodoss war it misses something. 

I agree with Black Clover, Boruto etc. These are often slow starters and I think its funny that some people compared Black Clover to Fairy Tail, because I can also remember people comparing Fairy Tail to One Piece. The problem I often see in the anime manga branch is that in earlier times authors have gotten their inspiration out of life, now its often the case that manga are the inspiration. And the readers may feel it. This is my own thesis about it and it does not apply to all writers.

Another Anime which I would like to recommend but still cannot is Dr. Stone. It will come out in summer.

Currently it is one of the best manga in shounen jump and it even placed better or even with One Piece sometimes. Which is something huge, but Promised neverland which you just told about did the same. So I cannot promise anything. But I like the art of Boichi who made Dr.Stone , he is one of the few koreans who made himself a name in the japanese manga branch, which is not an easy task. And he even got into Shounen Jump.

Got a bit carried away here, hopefully not too off topic.

Edited by Stroud

On 03-02-2019 at 12:53 AM, TheGoodHoms said:

If I may ask, what is your window of time for "Modern Anime?" Is it just this year's anime or does it extend to maybe the past 5 or 10 years? Maybe I could throw out some recommendations for you. I'm by no means an expert in anime, but I know some good shows.

Well... I would say the past 5 years of anime. Any recommendation is welcome and I would buy a Crunchyroll account if there's something worth watching.

On 06-02-2019 at 8:47 PM, Stroud said:

Hmm, if new anime do not get you attached maybe older manga made into anime late will?

For example JoJo's bizarre adventure, technically it is an old Manga.

I would like to promote Berserk here, but CGI is a turn off for many and its brutal.

You may also look at Parasyte, which is also a Manga from 90th. They tried their hardest to give us the same feeling in the anime which is still pretty new.

Another try is Magical Circle Guru Guru, the manga started 1992 and the newer anime from it gave some old school feelings. But it is targeted to a younger audience. Still heartwarming and funny.

I guess you don't know record of Lodoss war, but Record of Grancrest is written by the same author and these 2 projects are 20 years apart. It may be a different approach, but I think it could be worth a try. But compared to Record of Lodoss war it misses something. 

I actually watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with my gf and it's super fun and exciting! Berserk wasn't that big of a hit, but it was good.
Magical Circle Guru Guru is that parody of earlier RPG games, wasn't it? And it's getting an anime? I will watch that!

I remember that time when I got into an argument about One Piece and Naruto being not that much exciting like Dragon Ball, but that really was nostalgia trying to talk instead of me.

well if you're into some trashy isekai ecchi then I would definitely recommend How To Not Summon A Demon Lord. It's a fun little wholesome ecchi harem series that is hilariously entertaining in all the right ways. The main character is actually legit charming with some actual depth and not random japanese high school otaku #743. The rest of the cast is fun and interesting. The plot while nothing ground breaking managed to keep me engaged for twelve episodes so yeah. I'd recommend it.  

7 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Well... I would say the past 5 years of anime. Any recommendation is welcome and I would buy a Crunchyroll account if there's something worth watching.

Okay then, 5 years it is then. I'll try to keep it brief.

• Cowboy Bebop(1999) - I wouldn't be surprised if you've seen Cowboy Bebop before since most people exposed to anime know that it's one of those all time classics that many would consider revolutionary in the anime sub-movement, but as my favorite TV show I can help but give it my recommendation anyway just in case.
  • Mushi-Shi(2005) - One of the most relaxing shows I've ever watched. Mushi-Shi is about spirit creatures called Mushi and follows the exploits of a man named Ginko who helps people afflicted by the Mushi's supernatural phenomena like a sort of doctor. Suspenseful enough to keep you engaged, while not undermining the calming visuals and music.
  • Steins;Gate(2011) - I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard of this one as well since it recently got a follow up/spin off show. Regardless, Steins;Gate has some of the best written dialogue in any anime I've ever seen that never once broke my immersion. When two characters were bantering I freaking believed it man.
  • THE UNLIMITED Hyoubu Kyousuke(2013) - The best X-Men knockoff you've never heard of. A CIA agent going under cover in a group of superhuman terrorists, how is that not an awesome premise for a show? This show is criminally under-watched and any chance I get to recommend it I will gladly take.

9 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I actually watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with my gf and it's super fun and exciting! Berserk wasn't that big of a hit, but it was good.
Magical Circle Guru Guru is that parody of earlier RPG games, wasn't it? And it's getting an anime? I will watch that!

I remember that time when I got into an argument about One Piece and Naruto being not that much exciting like Dragon Ball, but that really was nostalgia trying to talk instead of me.

Yeah, I also like the anime of JoJo. And they even did everything to ensure that it just gives the right feeling.

Magical Circle Guru Guru came already out and I enjoyed it, because it really was a parody of old school RPG's and they did not messed it up. The anime is still pretty new and gave an old school feeling. You can watch it on Crunchyroll I think.

One Piece is very unbalanced for me and it depends strongly on the arc how I enjoy it. I found Skypiea and Alabasta boring for example, but the newer arcs gotten better. And new anime/manga more often use the same recipe which makes it predictable. But yeah, sometimes nostalgia also takes a little part in. And even newer anime fans often compare much. But now to One Piece or even Fairy Tail. 

• 1 month later...

@1% Critical Hit

i have some recommendations for anime that I've watched somewhat recently that I liked a lot.

Konosuba: really fun isekai series that's a parody of JRPG tropes.  

Kill la Kill: I enjoyed this one a lot.  Solid mix of shonen and ecchi, with a good story and really great characters.

Azumanga Daioh: the coziest anime ever.

Date a Live:  Fun harem/slice of life/'mecha'/dating sim anime.  

• 3 weeks later...