Character Analyses: Nephenee and Brom

Part 1: Introduction

With the Bound Hero Battle for Nephenee and Elincia currently ongoing in FEH, I decided to recollect my thoughts on Nephenee, and recompile them into a character analysis. (This is no endorsement of either for CYL3 (too late anyhow) or anything of the sort, they aren't anywhere near my favorites either. I'm just in the mood.)

However, I felt it was unfair to cover Nephenee alone, for she is inextricably attached to her constant fellow Crimean peasant pal, Brom. Brom however in other FE contexts is typically ignored, while Nephenee receives a great deal of attention. Part of this might be because Nephenee is better in gameplay, or because she is the first playable Soldier ever, which is true. However, it may also be solely because she is a young woman, while Brom is superficially unappealing.

Yet, if superficially inferior, Brom is Nephenee's rough equal as a character. The two are complementary, sharing in some growth, whilst being distinct in general nature and outcomes. Thus, I analyze them together.

Part 2: Beginnings A Prison Break, Two Peasants, and the Aftermath

Where we begin is in the dark and dank cells of a prison in western Crimea. Here upon the scene, behind bars of cold iron, lay the two souls whose depths of being so deep (not really) are to be explored, like small children lost in fields of wheat extend o'er their heads. 

1. Let us begin with their introductory dialogue, made while they are locked away in separate cells in PoR Chapter 10: Prisoner Release. Here is the relevant text:

Spoiler

Brom
Uh...tell me something, will you? What's going to happen to us? Those Daein soldiers took my friends away, and they didn't never come back. What did they do to them?! Oh, something bad happened! I just know it!

Kieran
Quiet, fool! Keep your cowardly mutterings to yourself. It matters not what vile torture they devise. A true knight of Crimea is bold, steadfast, and strong. I care not if they pull out my nails with tongs or insert pins into the soft flesh of my underbelly or yank--

Brom
STOP IT! I can't bear torture! I'm not a professional soldier! I'm just part of the militia! I can't believe I left my family behind for this...Will I ever see them again? Oh, I want to go home.

Nephenee
Help...will...come. I will not...give up...

Analysis:

• Brom is seen worrying and being the, if not deadpan, more serious figure in a gallows humor comedy duo with Kieran.
  • Nephenee is alone, uttering her words slowly, as if losing hope, shaken and weakened by her experience of being imprisoned. It cannot be shyness here, since there is nobody who she can talk to. There is no sense of panic, no vibrant energy being admitted here.
  • From the beginning Brom and Nephenee establish their difference as the big and bountiful, and the smaller and more reserved.

2. Next, their recruitment dialogue:

Spoiler

Ike talks to Nephenee

Ike
You're a Crimean soldier, right? I've opened your cell. Let's get out of here.

Nephenee
Who...are you?

Ike
I'm Ike. I'm with a mercenary company hired by Princess Crimea. I can fill you in on the details later. For the time being, you'll just have to trust me.

Nephenee
...Very well.

Ike talks to Brom

Ike
You're a Crimean soldier, right? Come on! I'm here to rescue you!

Brom
S-seriously? I'm not dreaming again, am I?

Ike
I'm a mercenary in the employ of Princess Elincia. I'll give you all the details later. For now, we have to move!

Brom
What? The princess? Oh, happy day! Wait, let me stretch a bit...Ooo...Sorry, I'm stiff from this hard floor...Ow! Ow ow ow! Cramp! Cramp!

Ike
Oh, for the love of--Come on! This way!

Brom
All, all right! Hold on a second...I don't remember the king having any children...

Ike
There's no time to explain! Hurry up!

Brom
Oh! Uh, c-c-coming!

Analysis:

• Again, we see Nephenee is reserved in her speech and expression, and here she is actually interacting with someone else. She may be acting this way because of her country accent (Kansai accent in Japan I believe), but I doubt it. The situation- being in a prison cell and someone opens the door who claims to be a Crimean mercenary- is so serious I don't think she would be concerned about that. Nephenee is just being reserved, it is in her nature.
  • Again, Brom shows his exuberance, this time being comical on his own. A little slow in connecting the seemingly illogical dots concerning Elincia, but it does make reemphasize a point earlier made about Elincia- her secret upbringing.

3. After Battle Dialogue:

Spoiler

Ike
All right, we all know where Kieran stands...How about you two? Will you recognize Princess Elincia as the rightful heir to the Crimean throne? Will you fight for her?

Brom
Look here. My name's Brom, and this lass is Nephenee. We're just simple country militiamen from the same territory. Now, we don't know much about nobles and stuff. Kings and queens don't matter much when you're workin' the fields. 'Course, we know we'll be in trouble if someone takes our fields away from us, so that's why we joined the militia! This king of Daein's no friend of ours. And I hear he's doing terrible things, too... Vile tortures with rusty nails and...and more! What's going to happen to my family? I left them all back home, and I'm so worried I can hardly see straight.

Nephenee
If you can defeat the king of Daein, will this country return to the way it used to be? Is that what you're after?

Elincia
It is my hope. I may not be as powerful as my father, but I will never abandon Crimea.

Brom
You sound like a lady who stands by her word. Looks like my choice is easy!

Nephenee
Mine too.

Brom
I'll fight in your name. I'll help you and yours, and we'll send those Daein egg suckers packing!

Elincia
Thank you.

Unknown
I beg your pardon...

Ike
You're...

Nephenee
O blessed saint...

Brom
Master Sephiran! You live!

Sephiran
Brom, Nephenee...Are either of you wounded?

Brom
We're fine, but what about you? You were jailed for helping us...I'm so sorry! Oh, I hope they didn't hurt you!

Sephiran
It is nothing to fret about. Everyone is safe, and that is what matters.

Nephenee
O blessed one...

Analysis:

• Brom gives Ike the bulk of the explanation and also says why Sephiran was jailed, while Nephenee says little.
  • Brom is continued to be shown as the more open of the Crimean peasant duo. His language too is in a humble, earthly, country bumpkin's in some wording, and in what his knowledge and concerns are. He also frequently employs exclamation points, further showing his vitality, as he did before.
  • Nephenee lone sentence of any length, the one I bolded, is free of any signs of accent and ellipses. She is able to speak in full sentences repressing her personal embarrassment, and without any stutter or delay, she is not hopelessly shy nor unable to overcome her speaking issues. Yet she does choose to limit how much she says.

4. Chapter 11 Base Conversations:

Spoiler

Brom

Brom

Ike
What are you looking at?

Brom
Oh, just this. It's sort of a good-luck charm. My family gave it to me when I left home. We never had much money, so my parents gathered some stones from our farm back home and put them in this leather pouch. It's not much to look at, but it means a lot to me Every day, I take them out and talk to them like they're my family. "How is everyone?" "I'm out here doing the best I can." "Don't worry. I'll be home soon." Just stuff like that. I know it sounds foolish, but if I don't do this...I won't...I won't have the courage to fight.

Ike

Brom
Don't worry about my feelings. You can laugh. Acting like this at my age, what a silly man I am!

Ike
It's not silly, Brom. You're a strong man who has decided to fight for the sake of his family. I know that your family is very proud of you.

Brom
...Sniff...S-s-sniff...Mm. Thank you, Ike. Sniff... Thank you.

Nephenee

Nephenee
Well, that's that.

Ike
Are you ready to go, Nephenee?

Nephenee
Ah! Ike...

Ike
What is it?

Nephenee
...Um...Nope! Nothin'! I'm fine. 

Ike
Are you sure?

Nephenee
Yeah! Sure I'm sure!

Ike
You know, it's hard being a prisoner. It's physically and mentally demanding...I need to know: can you fight?

Nephenee
Not a problem

Ike
It's easy for you to say, but you sound like you're about to fall over.

Nephenee
That? Aw, no! That's a habit...It's just the way I talk. Just talkin'!...Sorry.

Ike
No need to apologize. As long as you're not feeling ill, everything's fine. All right, I'll see you later.

Nephenee
Right then...

Brom Analysis:

• Brom, as was shown before, can speak at long (at least compared to Nephenee) when he has the desire to. And since after his explanation he admits to being silly, he may see that he can ramble a little- if you could call it that.
  • Brom is also shown as being emotional again, first it was worry, then seriousness, praise, and now it is tears of gratefulness.
  • Although his family had been mentioned before as his cause for joining the militia, here one gets a real sense of how much he loves his family. Brom is a family man, to the point that he finds relief from the stresses of his new job as a warrior in pretending a bunch of rocks are his family. He probably can't write, and even if he could, Daein wouldn't let a letter get through, so this is as close as he can get to imagining how life goes on back home. It is reasonable I think.

Nephenee Analysis

• Nephenee barely says anything about herself in her Base Conversation. Keeping her statements very brief, now for the first time we see how much her accent embarrasses her. Not enough to stop speaking entirely, we do see her employ an exclamation point for the first time.
  • However, those exclamations, like the only sign we see that she is embarrassed- the word "sorry", is intended to bury the problem. She wants to say little to Ike to minimize how many times he hears her and that accent.
  • Whether Nephenee is truly collected here, or at least a little unsteady, is uncertain. But given what else she has to say later, it is fair to say she realizes her limits.

Part 3: Path of Radiance Supports

1. Brom & Nephenee- link to conversation

• Analysis: 
    • Brom and Nephenee receive three supports each in Path of Radiance, which is the average number in this game. Their first is appropriately with each other, since unlike some other characters with pre-established bonds, we the player know very little about theirs'. 
    • In the C Support, we learn a little about Nephenee's family, she has five siblings, which is suited for an ordinary peasant family, since more mouths to feed also means more farmhands.
    • Again in the C Support notice how Nephenee's accent is on full display, her sentences are longer, and overall she is more lively. Removed from outsiders and beside another friendly farmer in Brom, she is able to relax and be herself. Her reserved attitude is not ever-present, this ordinary girl can be a bit more ordinary.
    • The B Support provides a sense of how military life is so bizarre for ordinary people not used to it, which is often lost in FE usually since the player is always part of a military unit. Added to this is some background on how being in the militia went for B&N, not well at all, rather appropriate as far as militias as a fighting force IRL goes. Humor is also present.
    • In both the B and A Supports, Nephenee's speaking insecurity is a major point. Brom encourages her to overcome her problem by not being concerned about her accent. This a solution which makes sense for him to suggest, he is happy being himself in the open and never conceals his accent. 
    • Brom at the end of the A Support goes into "embarrassing father mode" when he suggests Nephenee try finding a boyfriend to take back home. And this highlights, as with the rest of the support, the age difference between the two. Brom is much older than Nephenee, yet the player rarely thinks on this when they lump them together. In the Supports, Brom acts as Nephenee's equal, but also at times he acts fatherly towards her, without her being like a daughter or acknowledging him as a father figure. He offers guidance and help, but is not a mentor or teacher either.

2. Brom & Zihark- link

• Analysis:
    • Having done the Support they share, I move into the supports B&N do not. For these, the accompanying character matters not, only the they who are presently under analysis.
    • In the C Support, we learn of exactly how many children Brom has, five sons and three daughters. Zihark also offers a fairly strong summary statement of Brom in "Brom. You’re a big man with a big heart. The perfect daddy!".
    • The B Support shows more of Brom's amicability, for he was willing to invite Zihark to dinner with him and was willing to pay for the entire meal.
    • Primarily however, this and the A Support use Brom in his family man capacity, played seriously in the Ike Base Conversation, in a comical way here. He never gives up on trying to give Zihark one of his daughters. This might be well-meant for Zihark so he can have a good wife, but it is also Brom being boastful and oblivious to Zihark's refusal, which to the player may seem as insensitive given Zihark's attachment to his tragic prior relationship. It pushes Brom's innocent pushiness, shown earlier with him trying to get Nephenee hitched and smiling and speaking freely, to a greater extreme.

3. Nephenee & Devdan- link

• Analysis:
    • Well the Support is... different. Like with the Brom at the end of the B and all of the A, Devdan wants to get Nephenee to open up. The approach is just less embarrassing, and only possibly comical.
    • At least we know Nephenee is capable of fear, unlike another timid FE character, Florina, Nephenee generally conceals any hints of this emotion. Devdan describes Nephenee as looking "scary" and serious, but she is no Navarre nor Volke. She is no killing ace soaked in solitude and blood, any serious expression she may bear does conceal uncertainty and awareness of insecurity and lack of expertise- although this is more being formulated based on things outside of this support. 

4. Brom & Boyd- link

• Analysis
    • An interesting pairing of an old farmer and a young mercenary. Overall, this a 5/5 Support to me, it is a gold standard. Humor, seriousness, mutual development, it has all the qualities I could want in one, but enough on this.
    • The Support's first focus is on Brom's inexperience in war, and Boyd with his experience trying to get this chubby fellow into shape, the only Support to poke fun at Brom's weight. So Brom's pounds are not defining him, the game does not continually shame him for it.
    • In the B and A Supports, Boyd is rendered insecure in how he, in a moment of serious philosophy for this brawny guy, brings death as mercenary while Brom the farmer brings life. With his amicability, Brom tries to cheer Boyd up, which he comes to thank him for.
    • Here as well, Brom is not shown as a total physical wimp, even if his prison introduction suggested it and some of this Support suggests it. Being a farmer is a toilsome task and he has tenacity for it, willing to push on
    • We also see Brom's final outcome in Telliusian history foreshadowed here. He is happy as a farmer, and even when he is done training with Boyd, he'd rather be a farmer than anything else.
    • In a more subtle, unspoken parallel, Boyd states he fights as a mercenary despite the discrimination for his family's sake, and Brom is a family man who is only fighting here because of his family. The two are bound by a love for their literal and nonliteral (the GMs as a whole) families.

5. Nephenee & Calill- link

• Analysis
    • Once more, Nephenee's accent and shyness is the topic at hand. Brom was rural-pushy, Devdan was creepy-pushy, and now Calill is being elegant-pushy for the sake of helping Nephenee. Nephenee is at first hesitant, but chooses to go along with things, and comes to like Calill.
    • The major event of this support is at the end of the A Support. Nephenee is not a ditz, and she notices right away Calill from her knowledge of how to handle the nuts, that she is actually from country background, like Nephenee herself. This actually brings Nephenee to realize she can change, she can become less reserved, she can become confident in herself. All it took, it turns out, is a female who was like her, but has gone the distance.

Part 4: PoR Farewells and Death Quotes

This more a transitional appendix than anything else.

PoR lacks traditional Character Endings, opting instead for everyone to say something to to Ike before they depart from him with the Mad King slain. Here are Brom's and Nephenee's:

Spoiler

Brom:
“Whew! Am I glad that’s over! When I saw King Daein, I was sure I was done for! Or that he’d torture me… But you were a bull! Thank you! Now I can go home and see my family once more!”

Nephenee:
“When I get back to the countryside, I’m gonna boast to all my family and friends that I fought under you.”

Analysis:

• Nothing much. Brom continues to express his exuberance, and his final message aligns with his very first back in prison with Kieran. Nephenee is happy here, not of joyous exclamation though. She speaks mostly without her accent, suppressing it here, a consciously controlled joy it is. To be fair to both of these characters, they needn't have gone through their supports when they utter these lines, so they cannot reflect any characters changes they might have undergone in them.

And because it is dialogue, their death quotes:

Spoiler

(Normal)

Brom: Your father… He fought on until the very end. He did his best…

(Chapter 10)

Brom: P-Poppa… I did all… I could… Don’t… forget me…

Nephenee: The world… It grows… so…dark…

(Chapter 10)

Nephenee: Everything’s…so dark… I…don’t want to…

Nothing too much to say here. Nephenee dies afraid, Brom dies worried about his family. Speaking of himself in third person in the colloquial in the Chapter 10 death quote (or so I guess).

Part 5: Radiant Winds of Rebellion

Canonically though, Nephenee and Brom did not die. That is good, since then we couldn't have Part 2 Chapter 1 RD: Winds of Rebellion. This chapter is a bit ugh in gameplay fun, but that isn't the concern here. What is, is how Nephenee and Brom in their big introductory appearance in Radiant Dawn are portrayed.

First, a link to the chapter text sans boss dialogue and opening narration (why does SF not have those?).

Second, chronological analysis!:

1. We begin as the narration not on SF (find an LP to watch) transitions the focus from Elincia to the rural village of Ohma, to which Brom belongs. Here, the player shall be treated to a look at the brewing dissent against Queen Elincia from a commoner's perspective, and using PoR's country bumpkin duo is perfect for the task!
  2. We start with Brom happily in his ordinary civilian clothes doing what he loves most, workin' the fields, and exchanging words with an old man friend. Left on his own, we wouldn't have a Chapter 1.
  3. But then Nephenee strolls in from out of village dressed in full battle armor with weapons too- probably because they refused to let us see what she looks like without the helmet/couldn't be bothered to make a model like that. She is like a Diglett's underside.
  4. *Ahem* Getting serious again, Nephenee alerts Brom that a revolution is brewing against Queen Elincia, and she wants Brom to come with her to investigate what these revolutionaries visiting the farming hamlet want. Brom agrees to go along. Nephenee is no damsel here, no passive girl, she is being proactive, despite her priority insecurities as a warrior and person in PoR (albeit she did muster the courage to join a militia), she is going to pursue something that seems serious and off-putting to her.
  5. And for his part, Brom is willing to take up arms again despite wish to live a farmer's life. He suits up again, albeit not without a little humor, and a little talk of why he is suddenly using an Axe when he couldn't in PoR, nice gameplay-plot integration.
  6. After hearing the revolutionaries led by Yeardley speak, Brom and Nephenee together, not just Brom like after the prison break chapter, speak up and equally protest against the rebels. Both are assertive in their defense of Queen Elincia, both are willing to fight to defend her name, and Nephenee speaks with her accent no shame about it. Our inexperienced militiamen take up battle again as proud warriors!
  7. When the battle concludes, Brom and Nephenee show some regret at what they just did. They just killed and injured people again. Brom states it was the product of fighting in the Mad King's War made them willing to do this, although they do not truly enjoy it.
  8. At the same time, having fought in the Mad King's War gives them the experience needed to know war is horrible and that to want to start it again, which is what the young rebels want, is a foolish thing.
  9. So, at Brom's suggestion with Nephenee's approval, they decide having squashed the rebels gathering in this hamlet, to go and inform Queen Elincia of the winds of rebellion. They mustn't be intimidated to speak to Elincia because of their past interactions with her, which is implied in their earlier dialogue of having gotten to know her. They head off to help her and fellow common folk like themselves.

Part 6: The Rest of RD Part 2

1. Meeting with Elincia

• Thus Nephenee and Brom go and meet with Queen Elincia to warn her of rebellion, speaking to her without as much in formalities as subjects should, they are relaxed around her.
  • Brom does the majority of the speaking, but Nephenee does have one line, and that line is telling. Here, before her Queen, Nephenee speaks just like Brom, accent on full display, she has gained the self-confidence she lacked in PoR.

2. The Heather Base Conversation, provided here:

Spoiler

Heather (*)

(Heather is alive)

Heather: Awww… I really wanted to go to the palace. I would’ve been happy with just a tiny little glance at Queen Elincia. She’s… glorious. This is so unfair!
Brom: Yup, it’s the pits. But that queen of ours is a real nice lady. Knowin’ her, she’d prob’ly just let ya talk to ‘er, noble or not.
Heather: The nerve of that Duke Ludveck! He ruined my one chance to meet the queen. I won’t stand for it! He needs a kick in the rear! Or a punch in the mouth! The things I’d do to him…
Nephenee: Uhm… Heather? You sure are a lovely gal and all, but… You sure do say some funny things.
Brom: Can’t argue with that, Nephenee. But that’s just the way folks are. They ain’t always what they appear to be. Ain’t nobody perfect, neither. ‘Less you’re talkin’ ’bout the goddess, that is.
???: Excuse me…
Heather: Hm?
Nephenee: Oh!
Brom: Well! Hi there, Miss Lucia. What can we help ya with?
Lucia: I came to ask for a favor. If it’s not too much to ask, I’d like you both to accompany me to Felirae.
Brom: Hmm. Naw, that won’t be a problem. You goin’ ta catch the duke?
Lucia: Something a little more… preliminary. I guess you could call it espionage.
Brom: Espio-what? Sounds serious! Nephenee, you ever hearda that?
Nephenee: Oh, sure. When I was just a sprout, I caught a real bad case’a that. I got this awful rash all over my back, too!
Lucia: Uh… That’s… a very nice story. Maybe I’d better explain what I mean.
Heather: Don’t you know anything!? Espionage is all about stealing secrets and not getting caught. It’s one of my many strong points!
Lucia: Oh, really? And who might you be?
Heather: My name is Heather! I’m a friend of Nephenee’s. I’d do ANYTHING to help Her Majesty. Seriously, anything!
Lucia: …I see. Maybe you can lend a hand as well.
Heather: Miss Lucia, you’re the greatest! Like, amazingly stupendously great! I’d love to help!

Analysis:

• Here, Brom and Nephenee are used as comic relief. Once again, Nephenee is fine being a country girl, to bring home the point she has changed.
  • Lesbianism is clearly unknown in rural Crimea here, expectable I guess, and Heather's dialogue elsewhere suggests she isn't rural. But at least Brom shows he is generally tolerant of people, which suits his character. Although his quip about the goddess is ironic given Part 4.

3. Part 2 Appendix

This just a collection of the little bits elsewhere in Part 2 Brom and Nephenee get, nothing significant.

First is the Heather recruitment dialogue:

Spoiler

Chapter 1

Brom and Heather

Brom: Hey…
Heather: …
Brom: Hey, pay attention.
Heather: … …
Brom: Aw, heck, I hope I ain’t shoutin’ at a deaf girl… CAN YOU HEAR ME?!
Heather: …Knock it off, already. What do you want, you old hick?
Brom: …Oh, sorry ’bout that. They call me Brom, by the way… How ’bout you?
Heather: …Excuse me? Are you trying to get lucky or something? Give it up, you smelly pig farmer. There’s no way I’m having anything to do with you.
Brom: No, no! It’s nothin’ like that at all! I got myself a darlin’ wife and a whole passel of kids, and I love ’em ta death.
Heather: So… What do you want?!
Brom: See, I believe ya just went and stole something from one of these here youngsters in the village. You did quite a job at it, I might add.
Heather: Were… Were you watching?!
Brom: Now hold on a spell… I ain’t preachin’ at ya, and I’m not gonna turn ya in or nuthin’. I was just thinkin’ that maybe ya could lend me a hand.
Heather: A hand? With what?
Brom: Well, me and uh…you see that girl over there with the long hair? We’re havin’ a bit of a tussle with some’a the young folk in the village… They picked a fight, but we don’t want anyone gettin’ hurt. I just thought maybe you could borrow some’a their weapons, so we won’t have to fight at all?
Heather: Huh… So that girl is a friend of yours? Hmmm…
Brom: Friend ain’t exactly the right word… Nephenee… We met when we fought together during the war. We’re kinda neighbors, so we hit it off. Durin’ the war, neither of us knew much about fightin’, so we helped each other out.
Heather: All right, I’ll help.
Brom: Whew, that’s great! That’s just swell of ya!
Heather: Hey, I couldn’t care less about you, but I can’t just sit back when a girl’s in trouble. OK, let’s go. We can’t leave Nephenee waiting!
Brom: Hey, hold up! Just wait a tick. What’s your name?
Heather: Heather! But as for you, hayseed… don’t forget the Miss. Got it?
Brom: Miss Heather, then. All righty. By the way… Could ya maybe slow down a touch? Huff huff huff…

Heather and Nephenee

(If Nephenee talks to Heather)

Nephenee: …Uh, hello?
Heather: Argh, whaaat?! Do you need something?
Nephenee: Hey, y’all best… Er… You should be careful hanging around here like that. I reckon you should clear out of here while you’re still in one piece.
Heather: Aww, that’s so sweet of you! What’s your name?
Nephenee: Nephenee…
Heather: Nephenee… What a cute name. I’m Heather. Pleased to meet you.
Nephenee: Pleasure’s all mine. So it’s Heather, huh? You gonna get outta here, then?
Heather: Well… It looks to me like you have an uphill battle to fight. I bet I can help you out.
Nephenee: But you…
Heather: Don’t worry about it. I’m the type that likes to help nice country girls like you.
Nephenee: Um…like me?
Heather: That’s right. Don’t worry about it. Tee hee… This is turning out to be a great day.
Nephenee: Uhhh… Yeah…

(If Heather talks to Nephenee)

Heather: Hi there, Nephenee!
Nephenee: …I…um… Do I know you, ma’am?
Heather: I’m Heather. How do you do?
Nephenee: Miss…Heather? You best watch y’self, what with…er…that is to say… I think it would be wise for you to leave while you’re still in one piece.
Heather: That’s very kind of you. But really, I’ll be fine. It looks to me like you have an uphill battle to fight. Let’s see if I can’t help you out.
Nephenee: …What?
Heather: Don’t worry about it. I’m the type that likes to help nice country girls like you.
Nephenee: Um… Like me?
Heather: That’s right. Don’t worry about it. Tee hee… This is turning out to be a great day.
Nephenee: Uhhh… Sure…

Nephenee's ellipsis use returns here, but it seems more to do with the situation- being confused about Heather and talking to her on the battle, than shyness. Otherwise, typical Brom and RD Nephenee.

Second is boss dialogue vs. Yeardley:

Spoiler
Brom vs Yeardley

Brom: Hey, you! Who put ya up ta this? Politics ain’t my strong suit, so ya can spare me the details, but I know you’re up ta no good, and someone’s behind it.
Yeardley: Hah! Clamor all you like, but it won’t change a thing. Revolution is taking root across Crimea. Our plan is flawless. We’re getting rid of that…girl! We shall have a new ruler in Melior… Soon… Lord Ludveck, duke of Felirae, will wear the crown.
Brom: Ludveck? From Felirae?

Yeardley: That is correct. And you shall perish with that name fresh on your lips, you blundering cow!

Nephenee vs Yeardley

Yeardley: Ah, survivors of the war. You would be better off dead and forgotten. You can’t stop the duke!
Nephenee: Duke?

Yeardley: Yes. Our master, Lord Ludveck, duke of Felirae, will rule over Crimea. When our plan is complete, the queen will be erased from history. Now then! I believe it’s time for you to die

Nephenee: Right…

Talking to a hostile stranger as they are about to exchange lances, Nephenee returns to terse wording. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary here.

They also get quips in a pep rally before the final battle of Part 2 against Ludveck, like in the final battles of FE6, FE7, FE8, FE15, and before the final fight of the Plegia Arc in FE13. And they get special Part 2 Death Quotes, which I list here with their normal Death Quotes, just to have fewer spoiler boxes.:

Spoiler

Brom (if alive):
“You can count on me, Your Majesty.”

Nephenee (if alive):
“Queen Elincia, Crimea needs you more than anything, and I reckon you could use my help.”

Chapter 1

Brom: Someone… Anyone… Ya gotta… tell…Her Majesty… Please…
Nephenee: H-hold on! Brom! We can’t go on without you. Brom!

Nephenee: Br-Brom… The…revolt… The queen…has to…be told…
Brom: Nephenee! Don’t go lettin’ your family down! Nephenee, no!

Nephenee: …It’s darker than a prairie night… Why can’t I…see…anything…?

Brom: Hey, kids… Your dad, he worked real hard…for everyone… To the very end… Aah…

Nothing of note. Beyond their death quotes mimicking their old PoR ones, with Nephenee's a little more colloquial.

Part 7: Enter the Meg, the Zihark and RD "Supports"

After Part 2, Nephenee and Brom join Ike and the Greil Mercenaries fighting for the Laguz Alliance after Part 3 Chapter 1. Yet there is no dialogue for Nephenee after this, and Brom gets very little. We don't even know why they tagged with the convoy group, and yet we have an explanation for Haar. Maybe it is buried in the Extended Script? If not, the gameplay explanation is certainly to expand the number of gameplay options you have in Part 3 (but then where are Tormod, Muarim, and Vika?).

Brom does get Talk conversations with Zihark and Meg in Part 3 Chapters 7 and Endgame. The Zihark Talk is the same in both Chapters, while the Meg Talks are different, albeit both short.

• Meg is his daughter, who does in girth and hair color look a good deal like him. That he was willing to let her go alone suggests he, although very concerned about his family, is not a total helicopter parent. Who lets their teenage daughter who has never fought just go off on their own to Daein in search of a husband? 
  • Through Meg, sent by her father, Brom continues to be played as comic relief. And it plays on the ending of his Zihark Support, a good way of showing that everyone really did interact in PoR, rather than each remain in their own bubble.
  • Brom refuses to attack Meg or Zihark, and they the same of him- a sign of their friendliness and family bonds respectively to each other. Nephenee also refuses to attack Meg due to her friendship with Brom, although she does not get a Talk with her.

As for the Talks themselves:

Spoiler

Chapter 7

Brom and Meg

Brom: Meg? Is it you, sweetie?
Meg: Daddy… Daddy!
Brom: There, there. Don’t cry, darlin’. I’m just glad you’re safe! What a mess we’re in, huh? But, that’s war, I reckon. In any case… There’s no way I could ever fight my own daughter. You run along now.

Brom and Zihark

Brom: Huh? Well, hey there, Zihark! Long time no see!
Zihark: Brom…
Brom: Ah, it sure is great to see ya! You’re looking mighty fine. Seem a bit sad, though.
Zihark: Oh, I’m all right, Brom. How’s the family?
Brom: Oh, they’re doin’ great. We had ourselves some troubles, but Queen Elincia took care of it. Ah, speakin’ of my family! About your engagement to one of my daughters… Have you given it any extra thought? All my daughters are eager to marry. Just say the word, now!
Zihark: What? All of your daughters? You told all of your daughters about me?
Brom: Ah, they’re all such dears! I can’t favor one over the others, can I? So, what do you say? My second daughter is startin’ to look a lot like me! Nice, soft cheeks.
Zihark: Um, well, I thought I was pretty clear on this the last time we went over it…
Brom: She left for Daein to see you. Have you run into her yet? Her name’s Meg. Nice girl. She looks a lot like me.
Zihark: You haven’t changed at all, Brom. You’re still the same good man that I remember from three years ago. I’m really glad I ran into you, Brom. Now I remember what I was fighting for back then. And now I know what I have to do.
Brom: Hm? What’re you goin’ on about, son?
Zihark: I’m leaving the Daein army. My friends in Daein are dear to me, but I refuse to turn my sword against the laguz any longer.

Endgame

Brom and Meg

Meg: Daddy!
Brom: Meg! I’m glad you’re safe and sound. How’s my baby girl?
Meg: I’m doin’ swell. It’s good to see you, too, Daddy.
Brom: Meg, can you do Daddy a favor? I don’t know what in blazes is going on, but family has gotta stick together! Why don’t you be a good little girl and mosey on over to your daddy’s side.
Meg: No…I can’t. I’m sorry, Daddy. Micaiah is a good person. I believe in her. I want to fight for her.
Brom: Well, shucks, this ain’t no good at all! I hope those higher-ups get their act together soon. But one thing’s for sure. You’re my girl. No way are we gonna fight. Not for anybody or anything!

Analysis:

• Although the conversations are barely anything, we do get to see Brom interact with a family member of his. Meg is just happy to see her father again, and Brom is happy to see her.
  • He respects his daughter's choice to fight on the other side, and cannot actually recruit her to leave it. Perhaps because of love for family, he chooses not to try to force her to change sides, antagonizing her. Nor does he actually bother with what the higher ups want from him- to fight or persuade Meg, appropriate given he thinks that is beyond him being just a farmer. He reaches a compromise, both can fight for their chosen side and kill everyone else, but they won't try killing each other.
  • Note the Zihark Talk can only happen with an A BromxZihark in PoR, gameplay-character integration. Apparently Brom is so likable for Zihark that he is willing to betray for those good memories again- he doesn't have to leave just for Laguz.

RD also has "Supports", which are a painfully generic and short bastardization of the concept. This arises I think from limits on RD's writing resources and the limited time to develop these. This is lamentable, as is the lack of additional Base Conversations featuring the duo, in particular, it is a shame that Nephenee does not get one with Calill. One can find Brom's here and Nephenee's here. Just generic country talk from Brom, and Nephenee strangely turns shy again, while still having her accent. 

Part 8: Character Endings

As Radiant Dawn ends the story of the Tellius duology, proper Character Endings are provided to all. Here are Brom's and Nephenee's:

Spoiler

Relentless Halberdier – Nephenee

Nephenee lived with her family in Melior. Time and again she raised her lance in defense of the realm.

Rural Juggernaut – Brom

Returning to his family in Ohma, Brom farmed for the rest of his peaceful life. He never lifted a weapon again.

Analysis:

• Of the titles, I prefer Brom's.
  • These are very short endings, but they do speak to their characters.
  • Brom's explicitly states he never lifted a weapon again. As he had insisted before, fighting wasn't for him. He is at his happiest in peace back in the little village, a farmer and a family man at heart. He knows his place in the world and would not change it, which is perfectly fine, one is best being oneself and not what they aren't.
  • Nephenee's on the other hand is quite different. Rather than remain constant like Brom, she changes. She moves from her backwater hamlet to Melior, the capital of Crimea, its city of cities. She must be confident in herself if she has done this. Calill who likely also resides there must have helped. Nephenee's ending also states she did unlike Brom pick up weapons again. Whether she was a formally employed soldier in the Crimean military, or took up some other urban life and only raised a lance when the nation required it, is not certain. Nonetheless, she has shown real development here.

Part 9: Conclusion

Having addressed all their dialogue and other lines which they possess, Nephenee and Brom are shown to be, if not great characters, certainly not bad ones either. Together, they share in inexperience and rustic origins in Path of Radiance, and together, they grow out of these origins come their one moment of limelight in Radiant Dawn (one moment more than many get).

As a duo, Brom and Nephenee have a friendly bond, and their personalities are different, but not clashing, rather being complementary, as are their physical traits obviously. Nephenee is more reserved, even after she opens up in RD she remains less vibrant than Brom. Brom by contrast is exuberant, and is never ashamed of himself. Because of this Brom does not develop as much in RD, where Nephenee grows out of her insecurity caused by her accent and speaks openly with it. With less development and a Character Ending of consistency instead of change, Brom seems the weaker of the two as a character in RD. 

However, in Path of Radiance alone, Brom is superior, owing to his superior Supports. Nephenee is defined by her insecurity outside of the earlier parts of the Brom, while Brom shows himself more than an unabashed country bumpkin. His Zihark shows his side as a family man, his Boyd plays with his military inexperience, and also has him with Boyd speaking in a moment of serious philosophy. Nephenee barely says anything in her own Supports due to her reserved nature, even if the Calill ends well and seems to be most likely responsible for her RD change. While Brom generally plays a comical role in his dialogue, Zihark and otherwise, Nephenee is only rarely humorous, and her Devdan Support is just creepy.

Thus, I conclude that as overshadowed as he is, the Rural Juggernaut can be considered the equal of, or even greater than, the Relentless Halberdier.

Thank you, and good day! *Bows*

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Good breakdown, and I like that you used these characters, because I've always felt it was good to compare the two.

Mostly because I've been saying for a long time that Brom's a far superior character.

There's just... so much more to his character. Nephenee's whole character is more or less centered around her just being a country girl, and the insecurities it brings her. As much as I hate to say it, she's a lot like Donnel. Donnel's completely defined by just being a country boy, but he uses it to relate to everything else happening to him, which is just Nephenee's schtick, but flipped.

And then by RD, she kinda loses everything that gave her character beyond having an accent.

Edited by Slumber

Nice analysis! Very thorough and it covers everything there is to know. I wouldn't say Brom's RD ending of consistency makes him the lesser character than Nephenee and her ending of change, though.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

There's just... so much more to his character. Nephenee's whole character is more or less centered around her just being a country girl, and the insecurities it brings her. As much as I hate to say it, she's a lot like Donnel. Donnel's completely defined by just being a country boy, but he uses it to relate to everything else happening to him, which is just Nephenee's schtick, but flipped.

And then by RD, she kinda loses everything that gave her character beyond having an accent.

I'd have to agree with this, at least partially. I do think Brom is a bit of a stronger character just because he was given more to work with through his PoR supports, and the small bit of extra dialogue he has over Nephenee in RD. I wouldn't say Nephenee loses everything that gives her character in RD, though.

1 minute ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd have to agree with this, at least partially. I do think Brom is a bit of a stronger character just because he was given more to work with through his PoR supports, and the small bit of extra dialogue he has over Nephenee in RD. I wouldn't say Nephenee loses everything that gives her character in RD, though.

I was exaggerating a bit, but her development is largely:

"I'm a country girl and and shy/embarrassed about it" to "I'm a country girl". There's a bit more nuance to other areas about her character, but they largely take a backseat to the country girl thing.

18 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I wouldn't say Brom's RD ending of consistency makes him the lesser character than Nephenee and her ending of change, though.

Fair enough, I might have been getting a little too obsessed with the idea of character development. If one is already a good character, you don't necessarily need development, and Brom already gets some anyhow. Nephenee having slightly more could be argued to be not enough when she has significantly less character to start than Brom. If New York grows at a population rate of 1% in a year, when a little town in Wyoming doubles in population, you wouldn't call the Wyoming town incredible or preferable to New York.

Actually, I think I'll edit the analysis on Brom's ending, just to put a little more positivity into it. Another couple sentences. I decided to add a clause on Brom being arguably better than Nephenee too to the concluding sentence. Nothing to criticize Nephenee, only to highlight Brom's character strength. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

What do you think of Mangs' Nephenee character spotlight? I think he was too harsh on her character. 

I think he did downplay her RD growth and moment of strength in 2-1. He spoke of the events in general, but not really how 2-1 contributes to Nephenee's character, it shows how a timid peasant girl has owing to her PoR experience become a confident and proactive person and disciplined soldier. I'm also not sure about the statement that FE fans love humble characters, I'd need to think about that.

One does have to admit we learn fairly little about Nephenee, we do see more sides to Brom, and Nephenee's shyness and insecurity are to blame for leaving out room for other things. Though I do concede some ground for letting characters be timid, not everyone is a verbose extrovert. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 1:29 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

RD also has "Supports", which are a painfully generic and short bastardization of the concept. This arises I think from limits on RD's writing resources and the limited time to develop these.

It's for gameplay reasons, since some characters start on one side and then end up on another later on (Ilyana, for example).