What does the word Casual mean to you.

wiilikekirby

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Many of you say it means playing for fun to you but question this, are people who play LTC not having fun or something? Seems like most of you is mssing something.

Usually when someone says “just for fun”, they mean an activity that’s fun, free of stress, and typically requires little-to-no effort.

Though for some people, speed runs and LTC runs are all those things because they’re just that accustomed to playing the games they speed through in these ways.

Casual mode, I think is quite similar, yet distinct from what sometimes I see as "story-focused mode". FE can have a Casual mode, for people who just wants to enjoy FE's gameplay and story at their own pace and pleasure, not delving their mind too much into either. On the other hand, some games (Persona 3 Portable and 4 Golden being two of such, and I believe also the case for Radiant Historia) describe their lower difficulties as "story-focused", where you don't care too much about the gameplay (except not screwing up the basics in battle), but you actively follow and think about the game's story. The closest example of where a Casual Mode becomes a "Story Focused" mode in FE would probably be the duologies of Tellius and/or Jugdral.

You can have a casual attitude about gameplay, and have a focused attitude on the story, or the characters, or the background history.

Edited by henrymidfields

14 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Many of you say it means playing for fun to you but question this, are people who play LTC not having fun or something? Seems like most of you is mssing something.

Very true, If I remember correctly Dondon151 said that to him there is no difference between a casual playthrough and Ltc at the end of his fe11 0% ltc. It shows to me how many aspects there are to Fire emblem which attracts different people.

Casual? Do not be a wuss and man up/ tits up.

Seriously, though, I play it on higher difficulties and Classic, and I still feel that I play it in a casual way. I mean, I do not get mad at a last-turn mistake or at an unlucky crit that makes me restart a long chapter, nor do I feel anxiety about turn counts, super optimisation or so. I just laugh at the mistakes and misfortunes, and retry the map some time later.

And you did not read it here, but I sometimes enable Casual mode before starting Conquest Chapter 27, so that I do not have to replay it if I fail at Endgame. Using tens of tonics on the whole party at the beginning of Endgame takes a very very long time! I do limit myself to only one save right at the beginning of Endgame Turn 1, and only one or two restart chances.

Edited by starburst

In fire emblem context? Just to get battle save. it's a damn shame they separated the casual and the classic that way.

but played Echoes mid-blind in classic mode. Didn't know the mila's turnwheel.before and it's so a life saver. Also you can revive dead character.

10 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

Very true, If I remember correctly Dondon151 said that to him there is no difference between a casual playthrough and Ltc at the end of his fe11 0% ltc. It shows to me how many aspects there are to Fire emblem which attracts different people

How coincidential! I watched that video less than a week ago, you don't happen to be my older future self but netherlandese...? Well do you?

But yeah DD151 did mention that he thinks some people see LTCing as "trying something like crack or whatever" and also went on to mention how like that's how you have fun, speedrunners for example may not play slower ever after but like playing that way is what's fun to them so let them be. 

A better definition for all of you is that Casual as in "Playing casually" means playing without extreme levels of optimization or micromanaging and instead playing the game and reacting immediately to an obstacle (That last part means not planning extensively)

What it shouldn't be is: Playing for fun since those that don't play casually are still having fun.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:50 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Not going to lie I have no idea how to reply and post on the forums so I hope this gets out correctly. Thank you all for posting and giving feedback if I can somehow figure out how to reply en masse I will try to get back to everyone. Thank you all again.