Our First Mythic Hero Banner Appears! Duma: God of Strength (Jan 30 ~ )

Coolmanio

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And then you just walk a Legendary Marth with Dragonbreakersweep up to each of them and poke them all dead.

His weapon would be denying Marth a followup though, so Duma's weapon and Marth's B cancel each other out and lead to normal speed checks (and then Duma could be using Wary Fighter to deny Marth the ability to double). Unless L.Marth can literally 1SK them he's not doing the job because he's eating a counter attack on the next turn. Horse!Chrom or Lucina/Masked Marth have better odds with their fancy Falchions but even then I'm not sure if Horse!Chrom could pull it off. Not easily at least. 

Edited by TheNiddo

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I thought this was an OC at first since I could only find the Japanese trailer. I've played pretty far into Echoes, so I'm surprised I never saw him before.

Well, skip for me, as I know nothing about him.

His humanoid form shows only in a post-game cutscene. In fact, you could say that’s the game’s final reward

Oh, mai, gawd, THIS IS SOME GOOD SHIT. THEY WEREN’T KIDDING WITH HAVING GODS AS MYTHIC HEROES :lol:. Hell, despite stating that, I wasn’t expecting to go beyond the usual trend of protagonist or important characters as Mythic Heroes, so having a final boss was a complete surprise to me. This is a great start to Mythic Heroes, and this is why I stay with Heroes despite the questionable direction it has taken last year ;):

1 minute ago, TheNiddo said:

His weapon would be denying Marth a followup though, so Duma's weapon and Marth's B cancel each other out and lead to normal speed checks (and then Duma could be using Wary Fighter to deny Marth the ability to double). Unless L.Marth can literally 1SK them he's not doing the job because he's eating a counter attack on the next turn. Horse!Chrom or Lucina/Masked Marth have better odds with their fancy Falchions but even then I'm not sure if Horse!Chrom could pull it off. Not easily at least. 

Duma can't run both Upheaval and Armor March, meaning a maximum of one of them has +1 movement, making it trivial to Dance-Reposition him out after each round of combat, even if he has Wary Fighter to deny the follow-up.

Hell, since it's a solo suggestion anyways, we might as well go all the way and just run Marth + 4 dancers, making the fight trivial (especially since all of the dancers would be able to use Escape Route or Wings of Mercy).

14 minutes ago, Falcom said:

- If this is how IS is gonna treat Mythic Heroes (new special characters and not alts), then I'm all in (but knowing IS, I doubt they can keep this up)

They will if the playerbase isn't lame and the banners do well.  I'll certainly lose all respect for the Heroes playerbase should they fail.  Yeah IS is in charge, but they are monitoring how much money each banner makes so the playerbase as a whole is the main driving force determining what we get.  

Edited by Lewyn

Funny. I had predicted Duma would be colorless when colorless dragons came out. Lol. Anyway, he’a Tempting, but I really don’t want to be pity broken by either Loki or Summer Linde. I have been meaning to build a breath team though. And I have 150 orbs.

Edited by ZeManaphy

7 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I’m rather surprised he’s an anima mythic hero instead of dark tho

I figured it would be either Astra or Anima this time so that we'd have something for both seasons since the "off-season" is kind of dead otherwise. Granted, of the two, I'd have guessed Astra since offense boosts have greater influence than defense boosts, though I guess it makes sense to do the weaker boost first for marketing's sake.

4 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Funny. I had predicted Duma would be colorless when colorless dragons came out. Lol. Anyway, he’a Tempting, but I really don’t want to be pity broken by either Loki or Summer Linde. I have been meaning to build a breath team though. And I have 150 orbs.

Well, I’ve been saving orbs, so I should be getting him

6 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I’m rather surprised he’s an anima mythic hero instead of dark tho

Although the Duma Faithful use Dark Magic, and the Terrors are probably made of darkness, and the stream of his own excrement that makes up the swamp in the final battle of SoV is probably tainted with darkness, technically, Duma isn't a Shadow Dragon. Duma is a Divine Dragon in utter degeneracy, really weird degeneracy- but this is what happens when you take something ambiguous and definitively retcon it decades later.

(Although we don't know whether Divine Dragons can become Shadow Dragons. Shadow Dragons as is just seem like really angry and powerful Earth Dragons. But then why not keep calling them Earth Dragons? And why don't Divines have a Super-Divine Dragon form? Are they naturally that much stronger they don't need a powerup?)

In the sense that he has fallen become associated with Dark in his fall when he was originally of Light, Duma seems feasible for Anima. He went from one to the other, but is truly between the two? Sounds poetically appropriate.

@Ice Dragon What does the Japanese for "Anima" translate to? 

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What does the Japanese for "Anima" translate to? 

"Reason", "logic", or "truth". In Blazing Sword, the internal name for it was "REV", which I assume is abbreviated for "revelation".

I'm surprised to see Duma as the first one. I thought he could happen at some point, but I didn't expect them to lead off with him (Eir doesn't really count). I can't say I'm that interested in the FE god/dragon characters, though, so I don't think I'll pull for him. If I do pull on this banner, it's just to try and fix my Loki's IVs.

Barring maybe Anankos, I'd probably pass most of the other likely picks in this category. I don't have any attachment to Naga, Mila, Yune, etc. to really care about them. (Anankos is just since I like his eyeball design, though his cloaked human form would be kind of lame)

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I figured it would be either Astra or Anima this time so that we'd have something for both seasons since the "off-season" is kind of dead otherwise. Granted, of the two, I'd have guessed Astra since offense boosts have greater influence than defense boosts, though I guess it makes sense to do the weaker boost first for marketing's sake.

I figured Anima myself since there's the lack of synergy with Eir's score boost that you pointed out, but also that they want to make Eir seem valuable as long as possible, and an Astra hero would potentially eliminate the need for some players to roll for her, or Anima hero later on. I'm expecting a Dark hero in March for the same reason.

For what it's worth, when the next Mythic banner launches, it should be Astra/Anima season again, though I don't necessarily think that it will determine that hero's affinity.

Duma looks freaking amazing, but this banner is a skip for me, sadly. I don't care for Summer Linde and I already have two copies of Loki. While I'd like Laegjarn, I'm not willing to get broken by L!Ike or L!Eirika. I'm glad Summer Micaiah isn't on this, it means she'll share a banner with Hríd and I'm more than happy to wait for then.

1 hour ago, Decerd said:

Literally who asked for Duma, my guy? I'll wait for an answer.

I'm unsure about CYL 3 results, but a quick search showed that CYL 2 had Duma at spot 369, with a total of 503 votes. So I'm going to say a minimum of that many people, plus one for Ghast. The approximate maximum is going to be around half-a-million, since that's around the number of copies Echoes has sold. So some number between that. Regardless, it is a decent amount of people, and while not the first person I think of adding, a very welcome addition.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

"Reason", "logic", or "truth". In Blazing Sword, the internal name for it was "REV", which I assume is abbreviated for "revelation".

Interesting. It hammers home the idea that Light = faith, Dark = knowledge (in a pseudo-scientific way), and Anima = philosophy. 

The English translation in Anima then doesn't make much if any literal sense. Since anima means something like "spirit", and is commonly used as the term "Animism", meaning worship of spirits inherent in nature and all things.

This seems to be a case of translate according not to what the word means, but rather what it visually looks like. The magic type looked like fire, thunder, wind, and ice, so it got translated in such a way as it could describe all of these things. They could have gone with "Nature", but to be fancier went with "Anima", in reference to Animism.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

So in addition to Girl Pose™, can we now also have Final Boss Pose™? Duma and both Grimas all have that one pose in at least one of their arts each.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/1/10/Medeus_artwork.png/revision/latest?cb=20160814072759

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/e/e2/Nergal_(Fire_Emblem).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150317034721

Yes. Yes you can.

I freaked out when I saw Duma, I wasn't expecting him at all. This is exciting and it's great they're sticking to what they told us, god-like beings. I really want to pull for him, Linde, and Elincia but I'm saving up orbs atm. Knowing me I'll probably blow all of my orbs on the last day anyways. This also means we'll get Mila later down the line and I can't wait for her, she has a kickass dragon form and she's a very pretty character.

Interesting choice, I didn't expect Duma. This makes me more hopeful we could get Yune as a mythic unit which would be cool. 

I'll be continuing to save orbs but I'm thinking for a free summon either colourless or red.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

100% sure that he will be a Mythic. The Mythic units are meant to be godly foes. 

Though I am wondering if Grima will get one, since he's about as godly as one can get, apart from Ashera.

Same cause if size is any indication of power grima is probably the strongest dragon in the series or at the very least the biggest. Who knows maybe we’ll get a Forneus variant one can only hope. But seriously I’m kind of miffed that they jumped the gun on grima. Also lore wise shouldn’t grima be stronger than duma. I mean the man technically killed naga who is stronger than duma if my knowledge of lore is correct.

SO cool! Mythic heroes is gonna be exciting then if Duma is first up! I don't necessarily have ANY orbs to go for him and probably wouldn't either way, but I'm really thrilled it's not another alt, and it paves the way for some God-like characters I actually really want!

I need Heroes to keep going in this direction, though based on the people in this thread it feels like NOTHING can please the fandom. Haha. I can save my orbs this round, but super excited to see the next couple of Mythic Heroes and glad they chose to do Duma!

Also, his art is gorgeous!

38 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

They will if the playerbase isn't lame and the banners do well.

The player base is not lame for spending money however they want. The players and fans are what keeps a series alive, and I much rather see Fire Emblem change and adapt than remain stagnant and unsustainable.

Advance Wars was a tragedy and there was no reason to axe the series as they did. Seeing that happen to Fire Emblem because it is not making enough money due to developers clinging to some arbitrary prudish conservatism would be infuriating to me.

I spent over $8,000 on Heroes alone, and if they cannot even listen to what the majority of fans want, my money would have been a waste. I honestly do not care where the series is heading as long as it is not heading to the grave. If it takes waifus and fetishes for Fire Emblem to survive, then so be it. If players and fans like you want to turn the series around away from that direction, then out spend the fans who like that stuff.

1 hour ago, Decerd said:

I'm just saying. Dumas such an out of left field pick for this kind of announcement. Well, bright side is he isn't the only MH, so hopefully they'll be better picks.

There will be better picks. Just chill out. Most players honestly do not give a fuck about who is on a Focus or not. Let players who like Duma enjoy the Focus. Keep your disappointment concise and move on. Try not to drag it out through pages and pages of the thread.

There is already enough players on this forum spreading salt, negativity, and other bullshit about Camilla in the CYL thread and this thread does not need anymore of that. Most players are casual and will not hear or care about what passionate players here say, so just keep it positive and not put each other down.