Our First Mythic Hero Banner Appears! Duma: God of Strength (Jan 30 ~ )

Coolmanio

4 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

-Hp on relevant enemies is extremely similar to +Atk on self. That's why my Rein runs SB rather than Hone Cav when he's running his CC -blade set. (It's also why I actually rate that set lower than regular dire thunder. I value being able to support the team extremely highly. The fact that Rein has to pack SB means that he can't be in a team with cavalry that need Hone Cav.)

By 'carry' I'm talking about that 'one' selfish unit that sucks up every unit and skill-slot on the team in order to make the team function. They're units that scale well with support but also are units that don't tend to function well without support. Because of certain reasons sometimes you can't just run 4 'normal' units like Dire Thunder Rein + Brave Bow Lyn (which are units that do both combat and support reasonably well), and end up needing to run 2 Eir on every team. Which means you pretty much have to run units designed to do the majority of the work in exchange for sucking up so much skill slots across the whole team it's not even funny.

If you meant buffs by only skills that give field buffs to the user then, yeah, SB doesn't really count. But honestly a situation where you want one and only one field buff over things other C slots do that make yourself better is so niche that it's a 'yeah, whatever' kind of situation. (Axe!Ephraim counts, but people like him are very much the exception rather than the rule, and I don't rate skills based on stuff like that without an extremely good reason.)

Savage Blow deals damage after combat which makes it very different to an +atk buff. Namely in the way that it can't assist in killing an enemy. Considering if you're attack an enemy that has 30HP and you can deal 24 damage. A +6atk buff will let you kill that enemy (and before receiving a counter attack) while with Savage Blow the enemy will survive with 6HP and then be reduced to 1HP, but they'll still be alive meaning you'll have to use another unit's turn finishing them off or let them survive to enemy phase. Savage Blow can target multiple units and be comboed with itself and the pain staff, but fundamentally speaking it's a completely different type of skill to an atk buff.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Savage Blow deals damage after combat which makes it very different to an +atk buff. Namely in the way that it can't assist in killing an enemy. Considering if you're attack an enemy that has 30HP and you can deal 24 damage. A +6atk buff will let you kill that enemy (and before receiving a counter attack) while with Savage Blow the enemy will survive with 6HP and then be reduced to 1HP, but they'll still be alive meaning you'll have to use another unit's turn finishing them off or let them survive to enemy phase. Savage Blow can target multiple units and be comboed with itself and the pain staff, but fundamentally speaking it's a completely different type of skill to an atk buff.

You do realize carries take more than one combat a map, often more than one combat a turn?

Edit: You're thinking of poison strike, dude. Savage blow does something completely different. Like, just use literally any Galeforce user.

Edited by DehNutCase

2 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

So are you claiming Adrift was a Special Heroes banner and not a New Heroes banner? Adrift Corrin et al. are in the normal pool.

No. You don't seem to be following the explanations I'm giving for the terms I'm using, so I'll put them all together:

• A "New Heroes" banner is a banner officially labeled "New Heroes". These are the banners that have their units enter the regular summoning pool.
  • A "Special Heroes" banner is a banner officially labeled "Special Heroes". These are the banners that do not have their units enter the regular summoning pool.
  • A "new character banner" is a term I use to describe a subset of New Heroes banner, the ones that aren't focused on alts.
  • An "alt banner" is a term I use to describe all the banners that aren't "new character banners": mostly Special Heroes banners, but also the two New Heroes banners we keep coming back to. They all have special outfits or versions of the characters, with some sort of theme.

All banners have one of the two official classifications and one of the two unofficial classifications. Adrift and Fallen Heroes are the two New Heroes banners that are "alt banners" rather than "new character banners".

2 hours ago, Othin said:

No. You don't seem to be following the explanations I'm giving for the terms I'm using, so I'll put them all together:

I am following it, I just don't get the point. Even if you call them "alt banners", it doesn't mean that IS have ceased to put alts where they should be putting new characters.

6 hours ago, Baldrick said:

I am following it, I just don't get the point. Even if you call them "alt banners", it doesn't mean that IS have ceased to put alts where they should be putting new characters.

My point is Eirika-like New Heroes alts and Adrift-like New Heroes alts are different, and IS sees them differently. It appears they realized from the backlash that the Eirika-like ones were not going over well, so they stopped them, but believed the Adrift-like full banner ones would be okay because of Fallen Heroes being received better than other New Heroes alts around the same time. Adrift got at least as much backlash, which suggests they may stop those as well.