Anyone interested in simple editing of DS portraits

Emperor Hardin

Since adding portraits has been figured out for hacks of Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, I'm wondering if is anyone interested in doing some minor edits of the DS Era portraits? I have neither the know how nor the tools to do it myself.

Portrait_enemy_soldier_fe11.pngPortrait_bandit_fe11.pngPortrait_fightmonger_fe11.png

To start with, a mini portrait version of generic soldier, Ruffian and Fightmonger, so they could potentially be used as actual units in a hack.

Portrait_hardin_fe11.pngSmall_portrait_hardin_fe11.pngPortrait_captain_fe11.pngSmall_portrait_captain_fe11.png

Comparison of Mini portraits used for a unit to see the style used in Shadow Dragon and its DS remake.

Portrait_unused_fe11.png

This unused portrait in Shadow Dragon was ripped somewhat messily and could  be cleaned up a bit. A link to the sprite sheet it was ripped from.

Portrait_old_village_man_fe11.png>Portrait_old_village_man_fe12.png

New Mystery portraits tend to be somewhat brighter in New Mystery of the Emblem, so brightening up the portraits not used in New Mystery of the Emblem could be an interesting activity.

Couldn't you for example just grab the soldier portrait, make a simple edit an idea from me, a teenager, is a penis xd and then insert the portrait back inside. Although I suppose you are talking about how to insert them... hmmm I cant help you with that then.

34 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Couldn't you for example just grab the soldier portrait, make a simple edit an idea from me, a teenager, is a penis xd and then insert the portrait back inside. Although I suppose you are talking about how to insert them... hmmm I cant help you with that then.

I could, but I'm a little worried and make a mistake, resulting in the mini portrait being misaligned compared to the others.

I'm not talking about inserting the sprite edits into the DS games, there was already an old topic on inserting portraits into Shadow Dragon.

Can't find it right now, but I know the creator, Crimson Red and I found post of them mentioning making it. It involves HEX editing.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

16 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I could, but I'm a little worried and make a mistake, resulting in the mini portrait being misaligned compared to the others.

Well you could always keep your save file safe and then copy the DS rom and insert the edited portrait in that copy of the DS ROM. If you mess up then you do something differently.

54 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Well you could always keep your save file safe and then copy the DS rom and insert the edited portrait in that copy of the DS ROM. If you mess up then you do something differently.

No, I mean editing the sprite right here.

Portrait_enemy_soldier_fe11.png

The actual sprite can be incorporated later, but I want a god mini version of the DS portraits without icons.