Anyone else not care much for alts

Emperor Hardin

There are a few exceptions such as characters who have alternate classes in canon such as Shadow Dragon!Hardin, characters depicted at different ages like Hector and characters not wielding their canon weapon type like Caeda, but in general I'm not that interested in variants especially stuff like Summer Ike or Easter Marth.

Instead I'm more into which new character gets added to the game, especially if they're a lesser known character who would never make the top 20, let alone top 10. Anyone else feel the same?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I'm pretty sure lots of people around here don't care for most alts.  The seasonal ones I find especially tacky.

I'm with you about them taking roster space that other characters.  Everybody's alts could've been a brand new character.

That said, do be careful about making "Am I the only one who..." topics like this.  I learned the hard way that eclipse hates them a bunch.

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm pretty sure lots of people around here don't care for most alts.  The seasonal ones I find especially tacky.

I'm with you about them taking roster space that other characters.  Everybody's alts could've been a brand new character.

That said, do be careful about making "Am I the only one who..." topics like this.  I learned the hard way that eclipse hates them a bunch.

I'll keep that in mind.

Stuff like Uther!Hector is cool, but in the end I'd prefer Uther himself if I could choose.

I have no problems with alts being part of the, what I do have a problem with is how egregiously bad the decisions have been when it comes to alts. If you had the characters with lots of alts capped at 2-3 alts at the most, it wouldn't be so bad. But when you try to pander to the fans of the most popular characters so goddamn much that there's confirmed to be 6-7 fucking versions of one characters when there are so many more characters you could release into the game, it demonstrates a massive lack of confidence and insufficient love for the franchise and just pandering whales.

6 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I mean with how many Camilla alts there are, I genuinely want a Mani Katti-wielding Lyn. Otherwise, yeah, I prefer new characters being added over alts.

The few alts I want are:

* Shadow Dragon Hardin

* Lance Caeda, possibly on a wyvern.

* Young Finn

* Old Hector

* Old Eliwood

* Old Arvis

Stuff like Lord Ike would be neat as well.

44 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

There are a few exceptions such as characters who have alternate classes in canon such as Shadow Dragon!Hardin, characters depicted at different ages like Hector and characters not wielding their canon weapon type like Caeda, but in general I'm not that interested in variants especially stuff like Summer Ike or Easter Marth.

Instead I'm more into which new character gets added to the game, especially if they're a lesser known character who would never make the top 20, let alone top 10. Anyone else feel the same?

You are not alone.  I would rather there were zero alts in the game.  It is a complete waste of space and delays new characters getting into the game so so much.  Even though there seem to be some number of us who don't like alts, I believe we are in the minority.  They keep putting more and more alts, so I assume those are making money.  

I honestly thought it was the silliest thing when alts first arrived, the first spring banner.  I was like WTF is this?  Where are my new heroes?   Who wants to see these characters in bunny outfits?  Well apparently a lot of people, or at least a lot of whales.  Then I learned the sad truth that this is a huge part of gacha games, put popular characters in different outfits and make it limited time only and $$$.  Is that the world we live in?  Unfortunately yes.  

Depends.

Seasonal alts? I like them! I like the idea of characters dressing up in cute or pretty holiday themed outfits.

Legendary alts are an alright idea too so long as they make sense like RD Ike and Hero King Marth.

Now alts on normal new heroes banners? No thanks, get that shit out of here. These banners should be actual new characters only imo. I also don't like a single character getting a gazillion alts like Camilla, Lyn, and Lucina got (though with Lucina now, it's not quite as bad because her alts were much more spaced out). Camilla and Lyn are ridiculous and overexposed and have made me hate them more than I already did with how much they've been shoved in our faces.

Especially when there are super popular characters like Ike who haven't even gotten a seasonal yet. He was the male winner of the first CYL and may be the most popular FE character period and all he gets is CYL (which the fans voted for, not IS) and his canon legendary form? (even if I do absolutely love RD Ike) Fuck you too, IS...

Edited by Anacybele

56 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

You're definitely not alone in this sentiment.

However, it feels like the developers didn't get the memo.

Ask their wallets and the money that they made when people spent a lot for all dem Camillas and Lyns and such.

I've seen pretty anti alt in general, especially since more than half the banners are alt banners now.

One thing I think about mythic banners so far is it looks like it will be bringing original characters, rather than the alt fest Legendary turned out to be.

18 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

You are not alone.  I would rather there were zero alts in the game.  It is a complete waste of space and delays new characters getting into the game so so much. 

I just have to say this. 

If this was the case.
then quite frankly, I don't think i'd be playing since the first few of my really powerful units and 5* units  were alts. 
then we wouldn't have become friends. 

i understand why you don't like it but you have to look at it from the other side of the ledger. 

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Depends.

Seasonal alts? I like them! I like the idea of characters dressing up in cute or pretty holiday themed outfits.

Legendary alts are an alright idea too so long as they make sense like RD Ike and Hero King Marth.

Now alts on normal new heroes banners? No thanks, get that shit out of here. These banners should be actual new characters only imo. I also don't like a single character getting a gazillion alts like Camilla, Lyn, and Lucina got (though with Lucina now, it's not quite as bad because her alts were much more spaced out). Camilla and Lyn are ridiculous and overexposed and have made me hate them more than I already did with how much they've been shoved in our faces.

Especially when there are super popular characters like Ike who haven't even gotten a seasonal yet. He was the male winner of the first CYL and may be the most popular FE character period and all he gets is CYL (which the fans voted for, not IS) and his canon legendary form? (even if I do absolutely love RD Ike) Fuck you too, IS...

A fair point. It's silly and rather annoying to get alts of existing characters in brand new banners. Reinhardt, Nino, etc. 

Though to be fair on the Camilla thing, she only has 1 alt that isn't a seasonal one, being the Azura!Camilla one.

The problem with the way that IS make alts is that they aren't that much different from the original character. They are just in different costumes with other weapons. When it's not seasonal outfits, it's promoted/brave version of the hero.

In my opinion little Azura was on the best alt because it shows a different view of Azura instead of Azura in different outfit with different weapon number 4.

32 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I honestly thought it was the silliest thing when alts first arrived, the first spring banner.  I was like WTF is this?  Where are my new heroes?   Who wants to see these characters in bunny outfits?  Well apparently a lot of people, or at least a lot of whales.  Then I learned the sad truth that this is a huge part of gacha games, put popular characters in different outfits and make it limited time only and $$$.  Is that the world we live in?  Unfortunately yes. 

I don't exactly disagree with what you say but consider this (and also to @daisy jane)

Remember that while there's a lot of characters missing, it would actually be possible to have all characters from every single FE game quite quickly if IS would follow that path of not alts, especially with their art team. I wouldn't say in one year, but minimum two years could be possible with banners, GHB and TT to get all units. 

In short, I think alts are there to stall time. Because they want to keep the game as alive as possible and stalling with alts is their strategy.

Edited by Nym

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Depends.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

honestly alts don’t bother me so much it’s just the overwhelming amount of alts for the same what 12 characters gets old real quick! I mean seriously why do we need a 6th(soon to be 7th) camilla? Like why not give other characters a chance in the spotlight. There are plenty pf popular cute/busty females in this franchise they could use and I’m sure their fans would be most happy and willing to spend heaps of money on. I know I would if we got a selena/severa alt at any point in time. Am I’m sure there are plenty of ike fans that would like to see him in a nice seasonal outfit.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

honestly alts don’t bother me so much it’s just the overwhelming amount of alts for the same what 12 characters gets old real quick! I mean seriously why do we need a 6th(soon to be 7th) camilla? Like why not give other characters a chance in the spotlight. There are plenty pf popular cute/busty females in this franchise they could use and I’m sure their fans would be most happy and willing to spend heaps of money on. I know I would if we got a selena/severa alt at any point in time. Am I’m sure there are plenty of ike fans that would like to see him in a nice seasonal outfit.

Yes, as an Ike fangirl I've been wanting a seasonal of him forever! I also wouldn't object to another seasonal Frederick at this point either since his first one came over a year and a half ago now. But I want seasonal Ike more since he has yet to even get one. Freddy at least did get one and a sexy one at that. :P

Edited by Anacybele

As long as they are not on "new" heroes banner taking spots that could have gone to someone who was not in the game.  Looking at you mage Erika who should have been Knoll, Myrrh could have sold that banner by herself.  Then I can live with them being in the game even if they are too many for my tastes.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Oh boy. I suspect this thread will open a can of worms.

All in all I'm in agreement with the OP. If there's some strong reason to make them an alt then yes, do so. Give us Cavalry Hardin and Emperor Alvis. Even the likes of Fallen Celica who has a minute of screen time I'm cool with. Alts I'm not cool with are ones that have no basis for happening like Thunderhead Olwen. If you're going to give Olwen an alt why did they make up some random tome instead of giving her the Blessed sword? Her actual canon alternative weapon? There's nothing wrong with the tome they gave her but it literally could have been given to any other mage in the series not represented yet.

Seasonals I don't get excited about but IS loves them so much I mostly just ignore them. I barely even pay attention to who each seasonal is and largely just view them in terms of weapons and skills. I will say though that Love Abounds Hector and Eliwood should have been the FE6 incarnations. The who point of that scenario was that it was Eliwood and Hector just chilling with their children. It would make way more sense to actually have them chill with their actual children instead of vague references to time travel. Why are you getting so pissed Hector? That's not your daughter. You're daughter is sleeping soundly at home in some cot in Ostia. I guess old grizzled bearded Hector just wasn't sexy enough for a Valentines themed event.

In short, Seasonals exist and IS isn't about to stop them, but I think they should at least try to make seasonals that still represent something from the original games in some way.

49 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

You are not alone.  I would rather there were zero alts in the game.  It is a complete waste of space and delays new characters getting into the game so so much.  Even though there seem to be some number of us who don't like alts, I believe we are in the minority.  They keep putting more and more alts, so I assume those are making money.  

You know I'm not even convinced the whales are buying the seasonals just because of the artwork. A lot of Seasonal units tend to be pretty good and cover a niche no one else in the game covers yet (ie a shit tonne of armoured units). Seasonal banners are also up for a full month so there's more time to spend on them from the semi whales too. In other words Seasonals are pushed for more reasons than just their alts, for better or for worse. They might just be the prime money maker in the game.

Edited by Jotari

At this point, I could care less. I pretty much judge them based on how much I actually like the character to begin with and/or what they offer as a unit or fodder. If the unit doesn't meet either of these personal standards, I'd be more inclined to skip and save my orbs.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I wouldn't mind if each character could be limited to one of each "type" of alt. One seasonal, one brave, one legendary, etc. Maybe allow a second seasonal after a long time (like a year and a half at least) has passed.

Alts will always be a thing with gachas, its extremely rare to go without it, and those that dont do it through costumes, like Azur Lane and Langrisser. Especially when it comes to the typical "seasonal" types.

Unfortunately for FEH, they just havent handled any of it well. The alts rarely end up that different from the original character to make them interesting and fun enough to consider, or they end up being so broken and ridiculous that it ends up offputting. I think a good example of the former is Tharja, who has 2 alts, both being a red tome alt. Bride Tharja is literally just powercrept OG Tharja. Or the recent Hinoka alt, who has almost the same statline as the Bownoka alt but with a green dagger instead.

I think most of the non seasonal alts are fine tbh, outside of what happened with Adrift. They are almost all canon based, or based on alternate concepts that tbh a lot of other gachas do as well. But again, you run into the same issue as before where they dont do anything that different.

Compared to FGO for example, where you get several different alts with different functions. For example you have the original version of Tamamo, who is a caster who is specifically oriented towards support, and then you have her summer alt which is a lancer that is a jack of all trades type. The alts are different, and give a reason to actually want them for gameplay beyond just "Hey its that character I like, but this time they are in a swimsuit, or a cute outfit" etc.