At what point do you guys think a chapter goes from difficult to unfair?

ConquestVeteran

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I thought that was only a thing in Jugdral? Also, I think you meant to say Path of Radiance there.

Huh? Is it? Gaiden Alm's critical hits seem to deal enough damage to instant kill anything, but maybe that's just Alm being amazing.

(and eh, yeah, I meant PoR)

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Huh? Is it? Gaiden Alm's critical hits seem to deal enough damage to instant kill anything, but maybe that's just Alm being amazing.

Since I've been playing Mystery, yes, Double Atk crits are Jugdral only. Why did they make this temporary change? Not sure.

Although I would approve of a crit potency nerf, just give certain characters a skill that increases the crit multiplier for those who are supposed to be particularly crit deadly. They've already experimented with this in Fates where they made Killer weapons 4x instead of 3x.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since I've been playing Mystery, yes, Double Atk crits are Jugdral only. Why did they make this temporary change? Not sure.

Although I would approve of a crit potency nerf, just give certain characters a skill that increases the crit multiplier for those who are supposed to be particularly crit deadly. They've already experimented with this in Fates where they made Killer weapons 4x instead of 3x.

Hmm. That means if we get a Jugdral remake they'll likely keep that feature.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Hmm. That means if we get a Jugdral remake they'll likely keep that feature.

Given FEH's Draconic Special line is weaker versions of Jugdrali criticals, I think they'd have reason to keep it traditional. And SoV had a lot more funky stuff carried over, if not everything of it (Falcoknights were nerfed to think of something).

And to speak of FEH, I'd be fine if a game featured both kinds of Crits, just brand the Jugdrali kind something else, like a "PowerĀ Strike". Which of the two aĀ character has would depend on class, or perhaps their weapon type or specific weapon being wielded.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given FEH's Draconic Special line is weaker versions of Jugdrali criticals, I think they'd have reason to keep it traditional. And SoV had a lot more funky stuff carried over, if not everything of it (Falcoknights were nerfed to think of something).

And to speak of FEH, I'd be fine if a game featured both kinds of Crits, just brand the Jugdrali kind something else, like a "PowerĀ Strike". Which of the two aĀ character has would depend on class, or perhaps their weapon type or specific weapon being wielded.

Just making Jugdral crits a proc skillĀ  (like in Heroes) would work. The only issue is when it's so OP it can't reasonably be a part of the game. If it's something we know an enemy has and have the means to defend against then it's all good.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, ConquestVeteran said:

Conquest has it particularly bad when it comes to gimmicks. Chapter 19 in particular is extremely obnoxious.

Hardly. The illusion gimmick is perfectly well-explained, and thereā€™s no luck or surprise to it. Beating it comes entirely down to skill and creative thinking.

Just stacking insane skills on enemies for one. Or just buffing stats to hell and back again. It can be alright if done well, but there are a lot of times its just annoying as hell to deal with. Awakening Lunatic+ comes to mind. Especially when they start tossing around enemy exclusive skills that are insane. They are alright when used to make a specific character interesting to deal with, but when its thrown on everyone, their mother, and their pet dog it gets a little silly.

Same turn spawns, ambush spawns, whatever you want to refer to them as, either way they areĀ  a pain in the ass. FE isnt even the only game to do this, Langrisser does as well. As does Langrisser Mobile. There are times when its manageable, and doesnt even bother me, like when they give a warning a round or two before.

But when its same turn, no warning its just a shitty form of trial and error in a game that resets can set you back anywhere from 15-20 minutes or even an hour depending.

I also have a bit of a hate for after battle HP damage skills, but thats because I am returning to CQ after a long while and forgot how much I hate CQ Chapter 7 on anything above Normal.

Edited by Tolvir

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Hardly. The illusion gimmick is perfectly well-explained, and thereā€™s no luck or surprise to it. Beating it comes entirely down to skill and creative thinking.

No amount of creative thinking can solve the enemy nullifying your ability to attack them and them retaining the ability to attack you. The only choices you have are to turtle and hope you can deal with the groups of KitsuneĀ  in one turn (unlikely, because of their great evasion and the terrain), or send a single unit to deal with them all at once and tank the damage (not only a huge waste of experience, but also practically impossible).

11 minutes ago, ConquestVeteran said:

No amount of creative thinking can solve the enemy nullifying your ability to attack them and them retaining the ability to attack you. The only choices you have are to turtle and hope you can deal with the groups of KitsuneĀ  in one turn (unlikely, because of their great evasion and the terrain), or send a single unit to deal with them all at once and tank the damage (not only a huge waste of experience, but also practically impossible).

I disagree, because while the enemy can take away your ability to attack them, they also cannot attack you while they're doing so.

54 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I disagree, because while the enemy can take away your ability to attack them, they also cannot attack you while they're doing so.

They kind of can though. The kitsune can't attack while they're invincible, but they lose that protection on enemy phase. Which means they're free to get right up in your face and position themselves anywhere they want (because most of them are packingĀ  pass too) and then launch the attack on their terms and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. If they lost the invincibility on player phase it'd be much more manageable as you'd have the opportunity to engage them how you want. The tactic for winning that battle isn't very creative, holding the choke point at the river and form a box with you're stronger units, pretty much anyone will naturally come up with it. The problem is that they still swarm you and you can't even do reliable positioning since so much if how the battle ends up depends on the rng as they're dodge tanks. You could spend half an hour with the perfect strategy and still lose just because you miss twice, and then repeat the chapter with the exact same strategy and win. Essentially the kitsune invincibility limits the options available to the player which generally isn't a good idea.

Edited by Jotari

On 3/6/2019 at 12:56 AM, Jotari said:

They kind of can though. The kitsune can't attack while they're invincible, but they lose that protection on enemy phase. Which means they're free to get right up in your face and position themselves anywhere they want (because most of them are packingĀ  pass too) and then launch the attack on their terms and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. If they lost the invincibility on player phase it'd be much more manageable as you'd have the opportunity to engage them how you want. The tactic for winning that battle isn't very creative, holding the choke point at the river and form a box with you're stronger units, pretty much anyone will naturally come up with it. The problem is that they still swarm you and you can't even do reliable positioning since so much if how the battle ends up depends on the rng as they're dodge tanks. You could spend half an hour with the perfect strategy and still lose just because you miss twice, and then repeat the chapter with the exact same strategy and win. Essentially the kitsune invincibility limits the options available to the player which generally isn't a good idea.

When you put it that way, it actually makes sense. Anyway, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as fog of war and ambush spawns. Or Binding Blade's gimmicky maps.