Heroes you didn’t care for that became MVPs

Arcphoenix

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I still hate his cheesy ass "I'm being helpful!" line though. Like wtf is that and who thought it was a good idea. It just makes Chrom sound like a complete idiot. Or maybe a five year old being happy that he helped his mommy with a chore for the first time.

because chrom is ultimately overshadowed by lucina and robin, he is more often than not useless.

as for the topic, I rarely don't use units I don't care about, so none come to mind.

Uhm... Probably Ophelia. I wasn't really trying to get her, being more interested in Flora, but she appeared on my free summon and later I got a second one.

I'm so glad it happened. She is such a good unit, I use her all the time on AR.

With how many blue tomes that I love and have, like Lute, L'Arachel, Micaiah, Ishtar, Mae and more, I thought she would not see much use, but she became an MVP

I don't know if it counts but my summon from the year one seasonals is one that comes to mind, a spring Camilla. When looking at some places she was considered mediocre and I too thought she was just bad. However, when using her a bit I have to say that she is a very good. I summer supported her and and gave her many different skills and weapons and I've been using her constantly since yesterday. 

One that this applies to a lesser extent is Loki. I was summoning in the mythic banner for Duma and I ended up getting a Loki. I didn't mind as I also had a spare winter Eirika for dazzling staff but I thought that she would just gather dust in my barracks she also was neutral so she couldn't double/kill many foes. Then I thought that this weapon of hers is nice and I geve her: Thökk, restore+, earthwater balm+, C Duel infantry, dazzling staff, Panic ploy, hp+3 to have her for the debuffs. She literally is one of my best support units right now. Thanks to her I finally got to tier 19 on arena (I was stuck for over a month in 17-18).

Legendary Ephraim's intro banner was (possibly) the worst luck I've had on any banner. Among the few good results was a +Spd, -Hp Summer Corrin. As a collector, my initial reaction was more "cool, got another Hero" and less "hey, she's a pretty cool unit," but on a whim I decided to give her a Bladetome and put her on a Flier team I threw together. I had never tried making a movement-type based team before, but Corrin, along with a recent off focus Hinoka pull gave me the motivation to try one out. Flier Emblem turned to be really fun to use and is my most used team composition outside of my main team.

I'm not sure if I could say they're still MVPs to this day, mostly because my Flier teams vary based on necessity, but I still get good use out of them and they still have a fond spot as the unwitting catalysts for branching out in my playstyle.

L'arachel is hands down one of the biggest examples for me personally. I hadn't particularly cared for her character in Sacred Stones and had never used her in the base game. (Natasha was my original Sacred Stones waifu as a kid, and I was too addicted to the post game power of Bishops to give horse-locked L'arachel the time of day.) Nowadays, she's my first +10 unit, my Summoner Supported unit, my account ambassador, and all around the most powerful unit at my disposal. Her art, writing and voice acting won me over in a big way when I first summoned her as a 5* unit, and she very quickly gained momentum and became a strong anchor for my Cavalry team. One thing led to another and after a handful of other L'arachel summons I just said... fuck it, I'm gonna make her +10. So I did, and on the way I researched how to make her the best girl she could be. A lot of premium units died so that she could become stronger. Nowadays, I use her for Legendary/Abyssal PvE content and Aether Raids and nearly nothing else; my hyperfixation on building her up meant that many of my other units - especially blue ones - aren't nearly as powerful as they should be.

Runners-up in the category include New Year's Corrin, who sat on my bench for nearly a full year before I realized that I was quite fond of the guy and started investing in him. Hell, I became so taken with him that I made a poor attempt at a guide/analysis for him here. I'd also say that special mention should be made of Michalis, who went from being "literally who" to one of my first 5* characters and a heavy hitter for my first actually built up team. Then he fell to the wayside for a good long time, only for me to just recently rediscover how much I liked using him. He's now a fixture of my Aether Raids team, just like L'arachel.

Oh, another one for me is Hinbowka. I wanted her and was actually pretty happy when I got her especially since I'd been needing a ranged flier, so she's not a 100% fit, but the degree to which I've been grateful for her has far exceeded my expectations. She's a mainstay on my G/L/BHB teams when I can't clear it with my cavs. Between her solid offense, bow's effectiveness (bye, Duma), and base kit making her a teleportinf fiend, she's always carried her weight.

- The first was Spring Camilla.  The bunny suit looked ridiculous.  I figured that she'd make a good -raven mage. . .and I was wrong.  To this day, she's still my best -raven mage, and Iote's Shield seal just made her better.  She doesn't need Bowbreaker, because she one-shots them instead.  Reinhardt wasn't much of an issue for her, even as -Res.  She'd absorb Dire Thunder, then smack him back.  I paired her with Leon, and those two are my wrecking balls.  I imagine that they act as wingmen for each other when they're not in combat.

- Halloween Nowi isn't really used for combat.  She's still my only source of Hone Fliers.

- I knew Soleil would be a force to contend with, just by looking at her stats.  What I didn't expect was for her to be the other half of "Leon can't solo this".  Thanks to the glass cannon build I gave her, she can dance away after hitting things, and Firesweep ensures that she never eats a counter.  If Leon can't handle it, Soleil probably can.  It's rare that I use her, but when I do, enemies fall.

- I will reserve this space for Nina.  Maybe she'll impress me.

Bride Tharja: Originaly I was using vanilla Tharja as get to go mage, after she hit limit HM I just used bride as TT mage and from that time onward, anytime I need strong red mage, she's there.

Nowi/Reinhardt: You know drill. I never cared for them and again When Olwen hit HM I switched to her brother. Nowi then replaced OG Hector as DC unit. Now both of them are nearing to +10

Palla: Basicaly . I promoted her from 4* Just to make somehow functional Flyer emblem very early after game started, but with her balanced stats she made great anti-green duelist and is my oldest still consistently used unit. I actually thinking of rewarding her with Sturdy Impact if I get hands on another Tybarn.

Fjorm: I don't like her like not all, but you can't really use F2P guids without her, so she earned me lot of orbs.

Lucina/M!Marth: I just wanted pseudo healer for TT. But she also kill dragons... and anything green... and lot of reds... and has surprising good bulk.

14 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

because chrom is ultimately overshadowed by lucina and robin, he is more often than not useless.

Holy crap, you're right. That actually makes sense. lol

Hmm, I only use characters I like the artwork for. And then usually only use characters I've liked, from the games I've actually played, which really limits my teams (in a good way).

But Klein is this character. I got him in the beginning as an early 5* and I liked his artwork but had no idea who he was, but I still put him on my team with OG!Ike and OG!Olivia as a support unit (he had Breath of Life) in early TT. But holy crap he became my MVP so quickly. Like, step-aside Ike, you're useless. I gave him Poison Strike (cause I didn't understand the point of Quick Riposte when I was exclusively player!phase back then), and man. He took down armors, cavalry. Anyone. Iceberg always decimated the opponent once it activated, and Poison Strike always did enough damage to get them in range to be killed after a dance. I rarely use him anymore, but I did use him to beat L!Lyn - Infernal, so it was nice to see hm back in action.

Eir. I wasn't expecting to +10 her, and knowing she doesn't work that well with Desperation kinda made me hesitate to want to use her, but she's amazing. Powerful, fast despite not even having a +Spd asset, sort of a healer in Sparkling Boost, Mystic Boost offsets the recoil from her weapon, and she still has enough Res to take a hit from a mage and trigger Def Ploy.

She's great. Shame about that whole "learning to love Askr but still holds loyalty to Hel" business we all know is coming.

Peri was the first 5-star blue unit I pulled, and I used her for a while to get through the story until I pulled Hinoka, at which point I benched her.

After Skill Inheritance was implemented, I picked Peri up again because she was cute and her Japanese voice was cute and she had the best offensive stats of the lance cavalry at the time, and she ended up as my solo challenge unit for a long time (until Abyssal maps came out).

Chef Peri alt when?

Definitely had a few where I needed to wait for the right time in the meta, which sometimes included buffs.

• Nowi - I used her a bit for clearing story content at the start. Was really disappointed when I found out that, despite WTA, she got absolutely murdered by the million Lucinas running around Arena at the time. So she got benched. And I kept pulling extra copies of her. Which sat around. SI happened, which made her significantly better, but I'd already invested in Sharena. Of course, I eventually hit a point in Arena where Sharena's lack of mergability became an issue and Nino needed someone versatile to help deal with reds when she was busy nuking other stuff. Fast forward to Nowi being my first completed +10.
  • A!Tiki - Heavily Def oriented with low HP and Lucinas everywhere. I mostly just used copies of her for Bonfire, though, like most of the units, I kept one with optimal boon/bane around. I eventually needed something easier to merge than Eirika and I settled on her. She still struggled a bit with green mages, despite TA3, but for the most part, she worked surprisingly well as a buffer and off-attacker. The Lightning Breath refine turned her into a unit who could finally run the front lines for me.
  • Chrom - He came home during that same period of Arena where glass cannons reigned supreme. He just had no real good way of contributing compared to Marth. I sitll built him with a Brave Sword+ build from a bad Ogma, but he was a novelty deployment at best. After AA and the Lightning Breath refine, though, dragons were suddenly everywhere and he had a steady job, only really eventually eclipsed by himself and...
  • Alm - Slept on him forever after getting him as a pity breaker. To be fair, nothing about him was remarkable as a fighter. He sometimes came out to kill dragons when Chrom, Lucina and M!Marth had all been used up, but it was fairly rare. Marth was usually a preferable deploy because his much better Spd made him a much safer/more versatile pick. Then Alm's refine happened and he became my first pick for dragon disposal.
  • Celica - Pulled a ton of her during a rerun banner of some sort. I can't really remember which one it was, but I think I was just mass pulling red for A!Tiki copies. I ended up with a fair chunk of merges for her. Didn't seem very remarkable compared to any other nukers I had and didn't see the point in investing in running blade on her. Then her refine and the Brazen Atk/Res Seal happened. She's still not a go-to deploy, but if Rein, Brave Lyn and Nino are struggling, I tend to look to her to see if her nuking capabilities will do what they cannot.
  • Lilina - Slept on an optimal 4* copy and pity breaker 5*. Refine came out and I still didn't care much. AR happened and now she's permanently part of my defense force.
  • Odin - Sat on an optimal 3* forever, just grinding him out for HM, really. Forget he was even there. His refine happened and I hardly cared. Then I got some crappy Bride Sanaki pity breakers and AR started getting more demanding. Now he's my combination buffer-Smiter-bot for AR offense (with a side of legit baiting/nuking thrown in here and there).

On 2/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, Stercus said:

One thing led to another and after a handful of other L'arachel summons I just said... fuck it, I'm gonna make her +10. So I did, and on the way I researched how to make her the best girl she could be. A lot of premium units died so that she could become stronger. Nowadays, I use her for Legendary/Abyssal PvE content and Aether Raids and nearly nothing else; my hyperfixation on building her up meant that many of my other units - especially blue ones - aren't nearly as powerful as they should be.

I really, really want to see this L’arachel. Mind sharing an image of her build?

35 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

• Odin - Sat on an optimal 3* forever, just grinding him out for HM, really. Forget he was even there. His refine happened and I hardly cared. Then I got some crappy Bride Sanaki pity breakers and AR started getting more demanding. Now he's my combination buffer-Smiter-bot for AR offense (with a side of legit baiting/nuking thrown in here and there).

I didn’t expect to see Odin in this thread. Did his refine really help him that much?

Interesting reads by the way, everyone who’s responded so far

Edited by Arcphoenix

23 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I didn’t expect to see Odin in this thread. Did his refine really help him that much?

To his credit, given the right skill fodder (AKA Bridal Sanaki), it, as far as I can remember, made him the single best buffer in the game until legendary Azura. And even then, hers only gets full boosts for the second action a unit takes in a turn.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Yeah, double Link means Odin is giving +6 all stats when Smiting. Movement-wise, it can be a little awkward to use compared to L!Azura, but the buffing, as mentioned, is more versatile. Smite also keeps Odin safe from overextending if need be, especially when boosting the movement of an armour. To add to that, the double Link also buffs him whenever he does it (or someone else moves him around), putting him at fairly respectable damage (a fully buffed +0 +Atk Odin with Fury 3 can hit 72 effective Atk). I've had him bait and kill opposing mages and the odd bow/dagger, and he can initiate in a pinch, though that tends to be more costly since someone usually needs to use an action to trigger his buffs. All in all, it's kind of crazy to think he went from basically worst unit in the game to one of the best buffers and a decent enough fighter. Unfortunately, he's a tad expensive to build since he pretty much needs to inherit a B skill from one specific seasonal (I guess he could still run his refine with Shove, plus Def and Res Tactics in the C and Seal, but that's really not as good).

57 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I really, really want to see this L’arachel. Mind sharing an image of her build?

Absolutely, here's a link to my latest post in the +10 compendium, I recently updated her image there. 

Right now her build is focused on building up charges on her special while nuking whoever she can. Generally speaking a single proc of Blazing Flame will secure a ORKO on any enemies L'arachel is at risk of being counterattacked by or can't otherwise secure a kill on. This list includes units like Surtr, Sigurd, Grima, Eir… she can one-round almost anyone in the game with the right setup outside of hideously stat inflated Abyssal units. I'd like to get Death Blow 4 for her or something better for her C Skill, as all four tactics skills are covered by L'arachel's allies.

Edited by Stercus

Absolutely Bridal Cordelia. Well, I thought she had a nice design, but I wasn't gunning for her during her debut banner. However I ended up getting pity-broken by her when trying for Bridal Lyn and Caeda.

But I found out she was +Atk and I thought I'd try the Brave Bow build on her. So far, she's been my go-to unit for 90% of the game's content. Most of the time, I just run her with three dancers or I swap one of the dancers with Nino if the enemies have too much defence.

Lately, the maps have been getting tougher, but I've tried to adapt by giving her a Brazen seal. Seems to be working well so far.

I don't really think I have stories like that since my general response to getting unit I don't like is to not use them. 

Maybe Alfonse? I was aware of his very shaky reputation as a unit and I started using him before I felt he was the best Heroes OC. He pleasantly surprised me with how decent he was. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

New year Corrin was a unit I trainedonly   because there was a spot open. His statline did't me very much and I did't think i'd be using a Corrin all that much. I did't know just how much defense NY Corrin could give to his allies and he put those defensive skills to use plenty of time. He turned out better then expected stat-wise too.

Seliph was a unit thats now one of my MVP's and that was mostly an accident. After refining his weapon I felt it was a waste not to use him. Distant counter, Infantry puls and more stuff soon followed so now I have even more reason to keep Seliph going.

Edited by Sasori

29 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Seliph was a unit thats now one of my MVP's and that was mostly an accident. After refining his weapon I felt it was a waste not to use him. Distant counter, Infantry puls and more stuff soon followed so now I have even more reason to keep Seliph going.

There’s another one I wasn’t expecting to see. He never really seemed like that good of a unit to me, and I didn’t think his refine solved his problems. What’s your Seliph like?

Edited by Arcphoenix

34 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

There’s another one I wasn’t expecting to see. He never really seemed like that good of a unit to me, and I didn’t think his refine solved his problems. What’s your Seliph like?

He used to have the divine tyrfing on him, but now he has his special unique refine combined with distant counter, QR, Infantatry pulse and the +atk/def bond seal.

He's guaranteed to survive at least one round and the extra +10 atk and defense is nice to have as well.

Ok, back to the time of the CYL1 banner:

Everyone said Ike and Lyn would be the big trophys, but I liked Lucinas design most. Thought it wouldn't hurt to pull all colors until I get something and use the free pick for green (if I get Lyn) or colorless. 

Somewhere in between Roy came to me. He looked strange in his oversized clothing, but the colors and his giant sword were nice. 

I leveled him up and immediately found his skills very fun to play, even at -ATK. I went back to the banner, to pull for the missing unit (Ike) and a better natured Roy. Also thanks to the free pick, this was my first 4 person banner where I got all units, plus a second Roy to fix the bane. 

He became my best Cav very fast and with time I got additional copies (off-focus, he wanted to come to me) of him. He is now +5 +SPD and I'm hoping for a good banner featuring him. 

He was my least desired unit from a (very good) banner and became my number #1 unit very fast.