Should I bother using Lena in FE1?

Von Ithipathachai

So I just beat Chapter 6 of Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and I'm trying to figure out who to give my Seraph Robe to.  I'm thinking of giving it to Lena, but I have my doubts.

Wendell would render her completely obsolete if not for her Hammerne staff.  Considering the Hammerne staff cannot even be used on legendary weapons (i.e. Excalibur, Aura, and the Three Regalia), is it really worth the trouble to boost her survivability if weapon repair is all she's going to contribute?

1 minute ago, DarthR0xas said:

No, give it to Marth instead. That or another front line unit, they'll make a much better use of it.

I'll try to think of somebody else to give it to.

I'm still wondering if I'll be hurt at all by loss of Hammerne access if I bench her.

She already has enough Weapon Level to use the Hammerne staff at base level, so unless you want her to also become a combatant eventually, you really shouldn't need to use boosters on her.

And honestly, the Hammerne staff isn't all that useful.  You get it at, like Chapter 20, which is five chapters away from the ending, and it only has 12 uses.  And on top of all of that, like you said it doesn't repair the legendary weapons, so unless you really love your dragon slayers and bolganones, you might want to just forget about it.

...Yeah.  First chance I get I'll probably bench her and replace her with Bantu, who at the very least seems like a better tank than Draug.

Infinite use Dragonstones are a helluva drug.  And since he only ever needs one weapon, he can also be used as a pack mule for extra weapons and items for everyone else.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

25 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

And honestly, the Hammerne staff isn't all that useful.  You get it at, like Chapter 20, which is five chapters away from the ending, and it only has 12 uses.  And on top of all of that, like you said it doesn't repair the legendary weapons, so unless you really love your dragon slayers and bolganones, you might want to just forget about it.

Which is quadruple its usual. But the rest are serious drawbacks. Shame the Herlain Staff never became a real thing.

11 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Infinite use Dragonstones are a helluva drug.  And since he only ever needs one weapon, he can also be used as a pack mule for extra weapons and items for everyone else.

I thought I heard of some glitch that happens if you try using a promotion item on Bantu, apparently it makes his Def skyrocket beyond the cap.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought I heard of some glitch that happens if you try using a promotion item on Bantu, apparently it makes his Def skyrocket beyond the cap.

It's on the FE TV tropes page

To quote - https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GameBreaker/FireEmblem

"A glitch in FE1 gives Crutch Character, Bantu, 15 defense anytime he uses a promotion item. Keep in mind, Bantu's unbreakable firestone already gives him 15 defense. The promotion item doesn't even get used up when it's used by Bantu, and can be used until Bantu's defense reaches 99, breaking the stat cap. This means Bantu can be rendered invincible to physical attacks, even without his firestone, as early as chapter 10!"

Haven't tested it, but will test it soon.

Edited by DarthR0xas

If you walk to use Lena go ahead. You can abuse the avoid leveling, by putting Lena, Wrys, or Maria on a fort and then having a weak enemy like a thief attack them.

In general, its best to use Wendell or Boah instead, particularly Wendell.

6 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Haven't tested it, but will test it soon.

I tried it and it works.

Just use her for her utility. If you need a second healer other than Wendell or whoever else is around, deploy her. If you want to use Warp on a particular chapter and she's the only one that can use it, deploy her. If you want to use hammerne at some point in the game, deploy her.

It's combat units that need a consistent spot in your team to stay relevant, not so much utility units.

• 2 weeks later...

I sat her on a fortress tile and grinded her against a thief  to level 20, but IDK if it mattered so much. Combine the way the promotions in this game work, boosting your stats to promoted class base, and how there is for all intents and purposes no magical attack or defense stat, and how absolutely juiced the stat up items are, leveling up doesn't matter as much as it does in the other games, especially for mages. All the mages are pretty much useable, and Linda and Merric are better due to their personal weapons. I benched her for quite a while because she can't attack unlike wendel, but brought her back (promoted) in the endgame for that repair staff.