What is your favorite team type? Least favorite?

Favorite/Least Favorite Team Type  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Team Type

• Infantry
    • Cavalry
    • Flying
    • Armor
    • Dragon
    • Beast
    • Mixed/Tactics
    • Other/Specific
    • Dragon & Beast
  2. 2. Least Favorite Team Type

• Infantry
    • Cavalry
    • Flying
    • Armor
    • Dragon
    • Beast
    • Mixed/Tactics
    • Other/Specific
    • No Opinion
    • Dragon & Beast
  3. 3. Runner-Up Favorite

• Infantry
    • Cavalry
    • Flying
    • Armor
    • Dragon
    • Beast
    • Mixed/Tactics
    • Other/Specific
    • Dragon & Beast

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to vote Beast in least favorite because "I don't have one" isn't an option and I don't have a Beast team.

I also had to vote Dragon in runner-up because "Ophelia and her backup dancers" isn't an option.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I had to vote Beast in least favorite because "I don't have one" isn't an option and I don't have a Beast team.

I also had to vote Dragon in runner-up because "Ophelia and her backup dancers" isn't an option.

Not sure how I would represent either case.

Ā 

Maybe a "no opinion/none of the above" option for least favorite and an "other" option for all categories?

Infantry teams are usually my go-to since I have more infantry units than cavalry and fliers combined. I generally run mixed teams since I can customize it however I want and certain units can cover the weaknesses that other units may have. It also allows me to get creative with skills and whatnot, so I can create dedicated sweeper teams or dedicated tank teams. Mixed teams also have the benefit of being able to utilize Tactic skills effectively, which can allow for a lot of versatility. If ISĀ can release a Speed Tactic sacred seal, my life would be complete.

And now for the generic and overdone armor rant that most everyone else has already done:

I can't stand armored teams. There are a few units that I do like (Amelia, Black Knight, Winter Cecilia, and Effie come to mind since I've had the chance to use them), but armored units generally don't fit well with my playstyle. I like actually being able to move and sweeping enemies. 1 movement isn't that much of a problem anymore thanks to Armor March, but it's an expensive skill and it's locked behind 5 Star exclusive units. I also haven't been too fond of the bias towards armored units in Heroes. Fliers have gotten their own exclusive skills as well, but they're movement related and don't completely break matchups the way Fighter skills do. Armored teams also run rampant in Arena thanks to high BST and expensive skills exclusive to armored units that boost score. It's not fun to fight against and it's gotten boring to see.

11 minutes ago, indigocean said:

Infantry teams are usually my go-to since I have more infantry units than cavalry and fliers combined. I generally run mixed teams since I can customize it however I want and certain units can cover the weaknesses that other units may have. It also allows me to get creative with skills and whatnot, so I can create dedicated sweeper teams or dedicated tank teams. Mixed teams also have the benefit of being able to utilize Tactic skills effectively, which can allow for a lot of versatility. If ISĀ can release a Speed Tactic sacred seal, my life would be complete.

And now for the generic and overdone armor rant that most everyone else has already done:

I can't stand armored teams. There are a few units that I do like (Amelia, Black Knight, Winter Cecilia, and Effie come to mind since I've had the chance to use them), but armored units generally don't fit well with my playstyle. I like actually being able to move and sweeping enemies. 1 movement isn't that much of a problem anymore thanks to Armor March, but it's an expensive skill and it's locked behind 5 Star exclusive units. I also haven't been too fond of the bias towards armored units in Heroes. Fliers have gotten their own exclusive skills as well, but they're movement related and don't completely break matchups the way Fighter skills do. Armored teams also run rampant in Arena thanks to high BST and expensive skills exclusive to armored units that boost score. It's not fun to fight against and it's gotten boring to see.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm actually surprised at the popularity of Tactics teams. Granted, that team comp most accurately reflects regular FE play, but it's also the only team comp without a set of rewardĀ quests.Ā 

Ā 

Conversely, I'm surprised at the unpopularity of cavalry. Though I suppose this does come down to poor arena scoring and IS going out of their way to screw over cavalry teams with map design (excessively so, IMO).

My least favorite is armors because moving everyone forward and pressing end turn is not a fun way to play, personally I like tactic teams because it allows me to use infantry with actual buffs

Hmm I care more about the character than the movement type team comp, usually, even though it means I miss out on rewards for things (like, "complete x with 4 armored units on a team" or whatever.) That said, looking at my most-used units, I seem to have a preference for units who transform (especially manaketes.) The team I use for almost everything is composed of M!Kana, Garon, M!Fell Robin, and original Ninian. I use a team of L!Ike, Brave Ike, original Ephraim, and Soren for infantry-specific stuff, things that require a sword-wielding unit, a lance-wielding unit, and/or an axe-wielding unit, and to bail out my dragons when they fall on Tempest Trials. I basically play the game with only these two teams. So, I guess that makes infantry my second-favorite type? A lot of characters I like wind up as infantry units. For least-favorite... I tend to enjoy all of them for their benefits (the tanky nature of the armors, the obstacle-ignoring of the flying, the extra movement of the cavalry, the balanced-ness of the infantry) but I've always been wary of using fliers. They're weak to bows (and in some games, other things too, like wind magic), which has always put me on edge for fielding them. It's also annoying to try to move cavalry around when forests get in the way. Armors can only move one space, but at least they can power through pretty much any terrain (and through Armor March and Iron Boots, they actually become like pseudo-fliers without the bow weakness.) So, I suppose, cavalry and fliers are the ones I like the least? I don't dislike them entirely, though.

I currently have a lot of unfinished projects for building other teams, usually because I'm missing fodder and units. (I.e., I have a team of L!Hrid, Laevateinn, Ylgr and L!Gunnthra, except I don't have L!Grunnthra yet and Ylgr's waiting on a Karla for her C skill.) I'm sure I'll get to enjoying more teams and more units as I get the components to finish my plans, but for now, play is limited.

Fliers are my favorite, largelyĀ due to the freedom of movement they allow. Having such unrestrained access across all mapsĀ isĀ a godsend considering how small the maps are. It's also really fun to troll through kiting and various warping shenanigans.

Cavs and Armors are both kind of at the bottom for me. The former is largely because it's lacking in available units in general, especially Axes. The latter would probably rank much higher if Armor March was more accessible. Mobility doesn't have to be top priority all the time, but their limited movement options make it annoying to set up and back out when necessary.

All others are ranked about the same, save for Beasts since we onlyĀ have a select few currently available to us. They all allow for a lot of flexibility, either due to sheer numbers of options (like Infantry) or broader team comps (like Tactics teams).

I don't really plan teams like that unless I'm trying to, I just use who I feel like using at the time~ Most of my favorite characters are Infantry so Infantry's my favorite~ Armor least favorite for obvious reasons~

I like fliers the best; the extra tactical options available are huge. They just dominate maps with significant water/lava/etc. and can abuse the AI in all sorts of fun ways. They also have Emblem buffs and every unit type (except some very nicheĀ exceptions like specific colours of bow/knife).

Runner-up is cavalry; +1 move at base is just great. They do have some weaknesses to offset this like trenches and forests, and there's no horse dancer yet, although there is Reinhardt, who remains nutty.

Tactics teams I probably find the most "fun" because they let me use favourites, and in particular infantry can be used with real buffs (Tactics still aren't quite as potent as Hone overall, and there's no Goad, but it's much more competitive than it used to be).Ā 

Armours are pretty clearly the worst IMO (though it's no longer incredibly clearcutĀ like it was in 2017), movement is king in this game because of how important choosing matchups is. Compared to move, the 10-15 point edge armours have in stat total isn't significant, especially since the advantage is typically loaded in defensive stats which are less potent generally. IntSys did figure out that armours needed some damn good skills to make up for this, and indeed Vengeful/Bold Fighter/Armour March do go a ways towards fixing the problem... too bad those are all locked to 5*-only units.

Flier Emblem, no questions asked.

Cavs have a bit too much link to cancerous units since the early days and the lower bst hurts it in nowadays, Armour is theĀ cursed class with bases too high for quite a few fights and movement that makes it too tedious to use purely offensively most of the time, Dragon is pretty unwieldy unless you have a bunch of rare units and as for Infantry, it's got options but I've always found it a little lacking.Ā To be fair, fliers are not immune (See: Fucking Legzura)

Edit: Beasts have very few options right now so I don't think it's fair to make the comparison and Tactics emblem is also pretty limited, with SI a necessity to pull it off and the buffs being affected by panic can backfire horribly.Ā 

Edited by Dayni

I love mixed teams and running tactics. Second would probably be fliers or infantry.Ā I use them more out of other emblem teams.Ā 

Armour emblem is least favourite. I dislike the move restrictions, and find themĀ one too expensive to optimise properly to be fun.

Favourite is fliers. They allow for fun hit&run tactics (which often include the skill hit&run), and it's the only movement type where I'm confident running a team filled with glass cannons.

Next is cavalry. Between the high movement and the surprising variety in stat spreads (bulky cavs, glass cannon cavs, mage-killer cavs, stat debuffers, etc.), there's a lot of options with which to build fun teams. Plus, terrain obstacles feel like a fair challenge.

Least favourite is Dragons. I just don't see much playstyle variety there, as most of them are just different types of bulky, almost always to be used on enemy phase.

I'm neutral on armours. On one hand, overcoming low MOV can be fun (Galeforce Effie is the most fun unit I've ever made). On the other hand, armours are so hilariously powerful, they trivialise a lot of maps.

I could say that mixed is my favorite. 1-2 Fliers and 2-3 Infantry or Armored mixed is a setup I use often.

I started to like Infantry more since I merged up Athena, which has a nice galeforce build and still cuts trough in AR T20 most of the time. Also Deirdre with her mixed phase is just awesome, wish I just would find some mixed alternative to Fury for A.

I am not so fond of going only for armor. One reason is that just a few can be merged easily and Amelia is not so easy to get as fodder.

If I play armors I like to mix a flier in with Guidance and Tactis. Another reason is that I barely have any player phased armors. And only going for EP is less fun. I guess if I had build a bold fighter Effie I would have more fun with them. I should start collecting her and think about it if I get my hands on bf.

Cavalry, is a bit more fun. And a lot of units which are Cavalry belong to those I like. At the start of the game I mostly played Cavalry until the arenapocalypse happend and I switched to my half armored core. Lots of Cavalry units I like need some repair through refines. And I wish we had more bow riders for choice. Can't believe that I barely use Ursula anymore. She was one of my carriers at the beginning. If she ever gets a refine she will make a comeback in my barracks...
Mixing Flier and Cavalry is also fun. You can do some nice setups with Reposition or Smite on Cavalry. Always satisfying to Smite them over Water. Imagine it just in pictures.Ā 

I also barely use Dragon teams, again they are just limited in choices. I got my A.Tiki merged up which I like and that is just enough. I may go for more dragons if they kindly release Idoun.

Runner up are beast units, or beasts in mixed teams. Their movement possibilities is nice, at least the flying one. And can do even better on hit and run. They still have limitations in setups.

One another of my favorite teams I still build on is Sonya with Mikoto 2 helpers, mostly dancer. A little more challenging than 3 dancers, but Mikoto has all the tools given which are a big help to AOE mages with high atk. And they belong to Infantry/Mixed faction.Ā 

Fliers over horses mainly because of the availability of a flying dancers outweighing the difficulty of getting a well-built flying mage or healer. I like to make things as easy as possible for myself so ease of use and ease of building are probably the top two criteria for me.

Yet to try beasts as I don't even have one (couldn't even be bothered doing the GHB yet), let alone a team of them. Infantry could be deleted from the game and I wouldn't really care. Armours could be deleted from the game and I'd be delighted.

I typically do used a bit of mixed, but there is usually three infantry and one that isn't. My least favorite kind of varies from like basically all everything that isn't infantry or armored. I have decent enough armored units that a whole team of them works well. Laguz would work too, even though they classify more as flying and infantry, but I only have three laguz. Mixed tactics is definitely probably the best, I think I ultimately do prefer three infantry and one unit that isn't. Two and two wouldn't be bad. One team I do isĀ two armored and two infantry.

My favourites are cavalry, followed by fliers. This is mostly just because these are the units that make me happy when I see my favourite characters being them. The range in mounts is adorable - I'm really hoping we'll get both griffins and reindeer at some point (the former because they're actually canon and adorable, the latter because christmas should have had reindeer in from the beginning, not stupid armours!).Ā 

My least favourite is dragon, mostly because we've only just got enough adult guys for a full dragon team, and I have to use Garon if I want one of every colour,Ā and also because they're so boring to come across in the arena. I can't go a day without coming across one of the many loli-dragons, especially Nowi and Tiki, who I find annoying as heck. Fae and Myrrh aren't as bad.Ā 

Beasts... I actually have enough for a full team and one of those is Nailah, who is my favourite female across the FE series, so she gets a pass. I hope they bring in more beasts because I've been having a lot of fun using them.Ā 

Armour... meh, they're nearly as boring to come across as dragons. Surtr is just annoying. However, dragons annoy me just that little bit more.Ā 

19 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

My favourites are cavalry, followed by fliers. This is mostly just because these are the units that make me happy when I see my favourite characters being them. The range in mounts is adorable - I'm really hoping we'll get both griffins and reindeer at some point (the former because they're actually canon and adorable, the latter because christmas should have had reindeer in from the beginning, not stupid armours!).Ā 

My least favourite is dragon, mostly because we've only just got enough adult guys for a full dragon team, and I have to use Garon if I want one of every colour,Ā and also because they're so boring to come across in the arena. I can't go a day without coming across one of the many loli-dragons, especially Nowi and Tiki, who I find annoying as heck. Fae and Myrrh aren't as bad.Ā 

Beasts... I actually have enough for a full team and one of those is Nailah, who is my favourite female across the FE series, so she gets a pass. I hope they bring in more beasts because I've been having a lot of fun using them.Ā 

Armour... meh, they're nearly as boring to come across as dragons. Surtr is just annoying. However, dragons annoy me just that little bit more.Ā 

Griffins are in such a weird place. They're canon. They're cool. I love them..... but they were also implemented so shoddily. Not only are griffin riders one of the weakest classes in the game, but there also aren't any canon griffin riding playable characters (that I'm aware of). They all default to wyverns or pegasi.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Griffins are in such a weird place. They're canon. They're cool. I love them..... but they were also implemented so shoddily. Not only are griffin riders one of the weakest classes in the game, but there also aren't any canon griffin riding playable characters (that I'm aware of). They all default to wyverns or pegasi.

Sadly, you're right there :( There weren't even any prepromotes or baddies who rode them canonically, unlike Valter's wyvern.Ā 

I still would love to see them, though. Cormag on a griffon might make some people complain, but I'd be happy about it xDĀ 

Edit: I really don't know why I remember Griffons so strongly being in SS when they weren't Oo. Gerome riding a griffon would be just as awesome... but I still wouldn't mind an alt with Cormag on a griffon xDĀ 

Edited by Cute Chao