Why does everyone put Conrad so low-tier?

I'm not familiar with SoV tier lists of any kind, but right away, I can see one major issue- his availability. He doesn't come until Celica is halfway through her Act 4, he barely has any time to do things. And Thabes is dominated by DF loopers, which Conrad can't do without a Pitchfork. His Atk is rather low amongst his stats too, but really, it's the availability that kills him. You can't contribute if you're not around.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 minutes ago, squidcat said:

I just picked him up, and his starts are better than Palla's on recruitment. Why does have have such a bad rap in tierlists?

Mainly because of the team he's on. If he was on Alm's side, he'd be alright. On Celica's team, he's more of a hindrance than a help. He's mounted, but not flying, so with the abundant terrain in Celica's path, he's going nowhere fast. He also doesn't have much notable otherwise, the fliers can fly and deal extra damage to all the terrors, the main enemy type on Celica's path, Mercenaries can do the Dread Fighter loop, Mages can ignore the high defense of the many terrors, Archers can attack far away to remain safe, Cavaliers get hung out to dry with Armor Knights on Celica's path. And late join time, and starting as a Paladin. At least Mycen had the decency to join as a Gold Knight, and Zeke had the decency to be awesome, and also a Gold Knight. 

To add on to what everyone else is saying:

• Bad Availability
  • Only in 2nd Tier Class, you have to grind for 3rd
  • Celica's path favors dread fighters and magic users
  • Once both armies are joined up, Zeke or Mathilda will most likely be your cavalry unit of choice.
  • His existence retcons some of Gaiden's story/lore.

He shows up two fights into Act 4 (which to be fair means he doesn't face the first two swamp maps), where he's immediately faced with the Lost Treescape, where trees are on every encounter which hinder his movement and chances for experience. Once you've passed that, you get to the maze map (where you first face Upheaval as well as a bunch of Dread Fighters and witches but to be fair the Witches shouldn't be too much of an issue if he has been levelling but the dread fighters hit him hard and upheaval messes with everyone) and another swamp map (with Fucking Mogalls, promoted armours and Jedah if you're as insane as me and try to go for him. The terrain is just the worst for him to be trying anything), both of which hinder him in a noticeable way. Then Duma's tower, which is one of the most frustrating things in this game and the enemies are sufficiently powerful as to drive you mad and which Conrad's likely not ready for at all, followed by the final map which if he hasn't been levelling he should be benched. It's not that his stats are terrible, but he's not exactly all that powerful either and he's got three levels to grind in SoV for a promotion, which will be a lot longer than could be liked. Especially his attack stat which was an issue for me.

Strangely enough, he is a decent mage option though if you decided a pitchfork is worth it on him.