YsVIII

MisterIceTeaPeach

It took the golden opportunity by buying this game for a 30% discount. 

Honestly I am not really familiar with this series. I have played a little 1 and 2 which were basically a different genre compared to the latest parts. From what I have seen and read it is a mix of a action and round based RPG, similar to Xenoblade Chronicles I would say. 

Since it will become a total blind run, it would be helpful for me to get some advices. I try to understand the gameplay as good as I can, but I have questions, then I have to pose them. 

It took me like 20 hours till I figured out the battle system in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so I would not be surprised to need lots of time to get used on YsVIII. 

I've played a little of the Android port of Oath in Felghana (it's an enhanced remake of Ys III), and I've finished Ys Origin a couple months back. Expect dungeon crawls and intuitive combos that are a tad unlike Xenoblade Chronicles.

It's closer to an action RPG than turn-based. Xenoblade focuses on MMO-esque cooldown combat. I'd say it's closer to something like Star Ocean with the way you can freely use your abilities and chain them together a bit more freely.

As for a tip, I'd say take your time with it. The game makes it pretty easy to 100% until the post-game where it starts to become a grind. So do sidequests and explore all you can when you can.

51 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's closer to an action RPG than turn-based. Xenoblade focuses on MMO-esque cooldown combat. I'd say it's closer to something like Star Ocean with the way you can freely use your abilities and chain them together a bit more freely.

As for a tip, I'd say take your time with it. The game makes it pretty easy to 100% until the post-game where it starts to become a grind. So do sidequests and explore all you can when you can.

Italics: This was especially true of Origin where one clear would allow you to play the game as the other main character (you select from two characters at first crack), or one of the supposed bad guys. 

Very first impression is quite positive. 

Liking the game play and characters. Just wished Adol would say more. I guess it is similar to Rean from Cold Steel 1 who has been really silent in early game, but changed later on. 

I was a bit surprised that regular battles are still map based as in the very old parts except that buttons must be pressed for attacking instead of just moving the character. I expected each battle would have an own battle animation. But thankfully it is not case and so the game is speeded up by not having long battle animations.