Response video to: What does casual mean to you

wiilikekirby

Hello, to those of you who commented on the first post I want to take the time to thank you for being gracious with your time and energy. Unfortunately I wasn't able to respond in the forums themselves because I don't know how to navigate properly. However, I did try and respond to you all in kind with the video series I'm making so if you want to hear me speak to you you can check that out. The next part will be about just asking about this community in general. How is the general air around this Fire Emblem community? I received a warm welcome with my first post and thank you for that is it usually like that? More importantly what are the ideas about fire emblem that have been discussed with the most fevor and excitement? What excites you most about a Fire Emblem discussion? 

Now for a more Sacred Stones oriented question that I'll follow up on in another video and I'll do my best to respond here (if anyone willing to teach me how to respond to post that'd be sweet). The Sacred stones has the biggest issue of contention that I've seen out of almost any other FE game due to the stigma on "grinding."  What is your general definition of grind? Is it simply the ability to gain exp through out a playthrough like many other RPG's? making the entire experience a "grind" or is it more specific and practical such as halting your immediate progress to do a secondary goal? Let me know what your thoughts are if you're up for it. 

Link to the video: 

Hello. I'm epic_Awesome Gameplays on youtube, or Critical Sniper but I don't comment much on that account. Nice video.

Agh, it hurts how you mentioned LJwalhout and not my comment to which he responded :'(

Edited by Critical Sniper

15 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Agh, it hurts how you mentioned LJwalhout and not my comment to which he responded :'(

Maybe he didn't want to show 2 comments from the same person? But it's still a shame. Guess I just mention you in my reaction.

Ok so I listened to the entire video and it started to make me think about the things you talked about. So I decided to write a thing as a semi reaction semi further thoughts.

Spoiler

1. The literal meaning of casual

First I wanted to look up the meaning of the word casual and the literal definition is being relaxed and unconcerned. So when I apply this to playing a game it would mean that when I'm playing a game I'm doing it to relax or as form of escapism.  While it isn't outright stated you can assume that having fun is also a very important part of playing a game casually. Many people will also associate unconcerned with careless and because of that with bad play but this isn't always the case because of variations in knowledge/skill between different people and the willingness to use this knowledge/skill (I think I already brought this up in  my original post). 

What I make up from the meaning of the word casual is that casual doesn't literally mean having fun (you can for example be casual about certain serious matters) but that being casual does equal fun for a lot of people when playing a game. Like you pointed out many people said casual meant having fun while playing the game but, like Critical Sniper so expertly pointed out, casual is not the only way to have fun. I for example would like to do a ranked run of fe4 once. Because I give myself a certain goal it is actively against the meaning of casual since I'm concerned to reach my goal. But this doesn't mean that I won't have fun, on the contrary, I would really like to do such a challenge to test my knowledge. And you could even make the argument that playing in such can help me relax after a long day of stress. You can also have fun while doing something that's mandatory. When you have a job for example you can still enjoy the work that you do.

You also brought up a comment by Henrymidfields which says that casual playing is also linked to enjoying a story. I immediately linked this to the same way how people casually watch movies & series or read (comic) books. While this is the most important way how we consume media that isn't interactive there are also a lot of technical aspects to these forms of media which many people analyze from a very technical point of view which I wouldn't call casual (some people even make a living doing this). You can still enjoy doing this but like I said earlier, fun/enjoyment isn't the same as the literal meaning of casual. 

2. 'Filthy casual'

Like you said in your video there are many cases where casual is used as a negative term. While I don't know when this term was used the first time it is a term that many associate with toxic (gaming) communities on the interner. The literal meaning would be to tell someone to not be unconcerned or relaxed while playing said game, but I don't think that this is the way the phrase is meant. I think that more often then not it is used as a insult for people who aren't knowledgeable about the game which I can't stress is totally different from playing casually. I for example have quite a bit of knowledge about game mechanics in both Fire Emblem and Pokemon, yet I almost always play these games casually. 

Some people use casual gamer as a term for people who only play certain games but I honestly don't want to talk about that because before I know we begin THAT sort of discussion.  

3. Other things said

There where some other things you talked about in your video. The one that sticked with me is how many players are just calling people casual because they don't play the way they do and aren't open to new ways of playing the game. While I think that there is some truth to this I don't think that this is a huge problem (I'm speaking about SF because this is the only community I'm active in).  The thing is that when people are discussing about such subjects they need to have a common ground (Some older discussions on this forum that I've read don't have this and they're an absolute chaos). That's why we use effiency as a common ground. If I'm being honest effiency as a way to show which characters are good isn't always perfect but nobody has found a better way to rank units (although I remember a post by Chiki on the subreddit who tried to rank units without effiency, maybe look that up). The thing also with thinking up new ways to play a game is that you also need other people to play this way if you want to start a discussion about it and it needs to be a way of playing where there is a huge difference between how units perform. 

LTC is not a subcategory of speedrunning. Speedrunning considers the time it takes in real life to beat a game, LTC is taking less turns. There are some sima but there are also major differences. In a speedrun it can for example cost time to perform actions so because of this it isn't optimal to have all units engage in combat because it will cost time. It would be better to use as few units as possible to save some time because you would save a bit of time not having to end the turn or moving them. Because of this you sometimes save more time by taking more turns because the time you would spend taking those 5  turns would be longer then those 10 turns (AKA in a ltc you often have to use all your movement optimally which causes the turns to take more time to perform then when you are only considering taking the least amount of time). But I think you already heard this more then enough.

You also mentioned that some reactions you got felt very hostile. While I can't speak for everyone know that it wasn't my intent. I actually found it a very interesting question since casual is a word that many people use but not many people know the exact meaning.

... I wonder how many typos I made...

Ok so now my opinion on grinding. I hardly play fe8 so can't speak for that game but I just see it an almost endless resource of exp only limited by your patience. Tower of Valni is a bit different because it's also a challenge but it can be used to grind. I've mixed opinions on grinding. I like it in fe4 because it is limited, can be used for other purposes and I don't have to go out of my way to do it.

Edited by LJwalhout

The ONLY reason why this isn't being deleted on sight is because it's (somewhat) pertinent to something posted here.  If you want to advertise your stuff, use your sig.  Further things in this vein will be deleted, and I may suspend you, depending on how bad it gets.  SF is for discussion, not advertising your channel.

Also, this is the SECOND time that this has been posted in the wrong section.  I'll fix it, but if I see any other future content posted where it shouldn't be, I'll delete it first and ask questions later.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

The ONLY reason why this isn't being deleted on sight is because it's (somewhat) pertinent to something posted here.  If you want to advertise your stuff, use your sig.  Further things in this vein will be deleted, and I may suspend you, depending on how bad it gets.  SF is for discussion, not advertising your channel.

Also, this is the SECOND time that this has been posted in the wrong section.  I'll fix it, but if I see any other future content posted where it shouldn't be, I'll delete it first and ask questions later.

Your entire comment chain to both my post have been rather mean spirited and rude as you could offer to open a dialogue instead of being accusatory. The people who engaged with me had no issues with the format or content of the post, and if it was a serious infraction you as a moderator could've PM'd me or tried to open a discussion about what you personally would like me to do. Simply offhandedly in a rude manner saying "advertise in your sig" 1. means nothing to a non user of the forums or foruming in general  and 2. was unbelievably standoffish for no real reason as I wasn't being obnoxious or disingenuous with my reasonings and actions for doing so. I quite clearly state not only in the original post that I have no idea how to mechanically navigate and respond to people that I would like to, and in this post say quite clearly I would appreciate actual dialogue about how to go about posting around here and not simply be "referred" callously elsewhere by a mod who doesn't seem to care about the actual contents of the post or the surrounding people who decided to engage who voiced 0 issues with my method of posting and sharing. 

So if you would like to actually discuss this I've already said I was open to doing so, but if not I'll just leave my interaction with this forums in the past due to your specific attitude and handling of this situation. 

A quick look at your post history shows that your only content is related to your videos, hence why I think you're in this for advertising.  I explained why I moved your previous topic, and you managed to put this topic in the wrong place, again.

Had you been interested in a "dialogue", I would expect to see a PM from you asking for clarification, possibly help, or maybe something other than the crap you just posted.  That's why this topic is now locked.  Post another one of your videos outside of your sig, and it's now a ban.  I'm not fond of advertising, and your attitude has sealed the deal.