What do you think of FE6 as a whole?

Sand55

FE6 is like the Path of Radiance to FE7 Radiant Dawn. It's way less polished and everything is just kinda clunky. There are just a lot of things that irritate me about FE6 that were fixed in FE7 like being able to use items before starting a map etc. Not to mention the obnoxious ambush spawns that were made purely to fuck over players who haven't played the game before... It's still an alright game, I'm actually playing through it again atm albeit slowly but it's definitely very rough.

I actually really liked Binding Blade. Wouldn't recommend as a first Fire Emblem game, but overall I enjoyed the story and characters as much as Genealogy or Path of Radiance, while it gave me a lot of challenge trying to complete it. The first 8 maps were obviously the difficult part until my team was ready, but even later chapters gave me plenty of challenge, and didn't get boring at all. Hard mode was really hard, and I'm glad that I was able to complete it - with some units that people wouldn't recommend for me.

The early game is sometimes annoying, and nowadays I'm often reset chapters when some of my favorites die during the run - giving myself more of the disadvantage honestly.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:24 AM, Flee Fleet! said:

I also liked some of the features such as route splits and how they were handled.

I dunno about you, but I don't like having my route splits determined by arbitrary criteria the game doesn't bother to tell you about.

Edited by Shadow Mir

55 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno about you, but I don't like having my route splits determined by arbitrary criteria the game doesn't bother to tell you about.

Guess you must just love Thracia with the way it handles its route split.

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Guess you must just love Thracia with the way it handles its route split.

I get the feeling this is sarcasm, considering that I have a burning enmity for the Jugdral games (after all, I've denounced them as the Dark Ages of Fire Emblem on multiple occasions).

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I get the feeling this is sarcasm, considering that I have a burning enmity for the Jugdral games (after all, I've denounced them as the Dark Ages of Fire Emblem on multiple occasions).

Well you're dissing Binding Blade here right now and simultaneously complaining about Shadow Dragon (apparently it sucks because its swordmasters and mages aren't great, Thracia has great swordmasters and mages by the way) in another thread so who knows what you actually like.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Well you're dissing Binding Blade here right now and simultaneously complaining about Shadow Dragon (apparently it sucks because its swordmasters and mages aren't great, Thracia has great swordmasters and mages by the way) in another thread so who knows what you actually like.

All those games you mentioned are ones I see as severely flawed in the gameplay aspect. This one has long and winding maps galore, which is boring to deal with repeatedly. Shadow Dragon is just a massive step backward overall, with next to nothing of note to compensate. And don't get me started on Thracia.

19 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I can understand that, the game never does hint at how the route splits occur anyways, iirc. Still, I don't mind it being like that. Even better if there would be a hint to how a route split is going to be determined.

On 06/02/2019 at 1:35 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not all that crazy on it. FE6 is probably quite good for what it is but I mainly see the game as what it isn't. I think Blazing really negatively affected my enjoyment of this game. It bugs me that Hector goes down like a chump despite his future(or past) main lord status, I think Cecillia is a big downgrade as a mage general when compared to Pent and when I finally got to see the countries you didn't visit in Blazing they weren't as interesting as I'd imagined. 

And while a bit better at it the game has a lot of the same problems as Shadow Dragon. The cutscenes where Roy only talks to his jerk adviser and the boring princess are archaic and a step back when compared to Lyn, Eliwood and Hector bounching off each other.  The cast has a few characters I really like but its dominated by characters that don't interest me in the slightest and you can really tell it was their first time working with supports. Some supports are kinda bare bones while others waste their potential by being playful tutorials. 

But a lot of that is just personal baggage on my part. 

How is Cecillia a downgrade to Pent character wise? I feel she was a fine character and the fact she wasn't as big of a powerhouse made her similar to Roy so it gives us reasons for why Roy is a brain over brawn type of guy as his teacher was the same. I agree that Hector's death wasn't handled very well and had little impact on the characters. 

I don't see how Guinivere is boring. I found her relationship with her brother quite interesting as she has a big connection to the main villain. She's one of the few characters that actually develops in the story. 

Binding Blade is a rather guilty pleasure of mine. Objectively it's a rather bleh game. The story is a copy/paste of FE3, the balancing is very shabby and it's characters (at least for me) are rather unmemorable and also like the story, many of them are a bit too similar to FE3 characters, however I can't help but love the game. I rather like it's over all simplicity (it being pretty much the bog standard for FE), I've always loved Marth's games so BB being a copy/paste doesn't bother me and despite the overall blehness of most of the characters, the ones I do love I love a lot. Also I really like Roy despite him being objectively one of the worse lords gameplay wise and not being the most original character wise.

I really hope we get a remake of BB since I feel like one akin to SoV would be really good for BB imo.