Who are the ones that you love as a unit, but hate as a character?

Garlyle

Kris is really the only character I despise in all of FE (with Peri up there too, but she isn't that good a unit in Conquest compared to Xander or Silas) but they are like the best unit in the game besides Caeda, Palla and Catria which is agrivating

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to mention Faye since she turned out to be a really good Cleric but is just a really one-note and unlikable person, but since she has been mentioned a few times, I'll just say Keaton and Velouria.

Their characters are basically just typical dogs where they just like collecting trash and do other dog-like things. In some supports it's funny (like Keaton's support with Charlotte and the ending to Velouria's S-Support with Siegbert), but most of the time, I just can't help but roll my eyes. Their trope-like personalities do absolutely nothing for me.

From a unit perspective though, they are absolutely fantastic. Both were easily among my best units in my Conquest playthrough and carried me through some of the most difficulty chapters like Chapter 23 and the Endgame because of their superb tanking potential.

Delthea. The glass cannon gameplay she offers if freaking AWESOME. 

But the way she treats her brother, who is just a bit unfamiliar with social matters and trying to look out for her, rubs me the wrong way.  I understand being annoyed with him constantly on your back about small issues, but it takes a conversation dedicated to insulting him or him dying to at least semi look at him in a good light?

Edited by Martin

Xander, big time. I love his weapon, I love his design, I love using him in Conquest, but I hate the fact that there’s no textual evidence that he isn’t mentally deficient for how utterly terrible he is at recognizing evil people for what they are. There’s literally no justification given, to him or to anyone, for the whole damned war and he doesn’t seem to need one. And that’s not getting into his absurdly lax treatment of Peri.

Oh, and also, Soleil. She’s a damned useful maid slayer and I love getting her after I get replicate for Laslow to make her a huge player-phase menace. But I can’t stand her personality. The entire premise of “I’m my dad except I’m a girl so therefore I’m not a creep about it and actually get laid” is infuriating because by any objective measure, she’s way, way worse than her father. Her father never creeped on girls from in bushes (in fact in the hot springs scramble, Severa indirectly states that for all his faults, none of the girls even remotely believe Inigo is capable of creeping or peeping on girls), and he never stalked anyone while they were running away from him the whole time. Soleil has done both of these things and suffered basically zero consequences for it. Just try to imagine Laslow/Inigo doing either and ask if a simple apology would suffice.

Edited by Alastor15243

Tharja and Faye on the top of my head. Faye was an excellent Gold Knight until Thabes, and Bridal Tharja is one of my best units in Heroes. 

What really irks is that Tharja gets away with her stalker tendencies because she's a woman. Can you imagine how localization would react if Tharja was a guy and kept her stalker persona?

Apparently Clair wasn't enough for an unrequited love, because Faye can't shut up about Alm. At least the other characters who have unrequited crushes have other interests to occupy them. Not Faye. Come on IS, I know you aren't great for character creation, but you can create better people than Faye. 

On 2019-02-10 at 2:52 PM, Just call me AL said:

FE13: Cordelia, easily. Awesome unit. But character-wise, she whines about being able to get together with someone who has no interest in her.

I like Cordelia as a character overall, but I agree about the whining bit. If only she stopped talking about Chrom after getting s-supported. 

For my list, I'll go by game:

Path of Radiance:

This one's difficult... I like almost all of the playable characters... Even the ones that I normally wouldn't like, such as Lethe, Kieran and Makalov get a lot of depth and some amount of character development thanks to the great support conversations in Path of Radiance. And the one or two characters I still don't like; namely Devdan, aren't that great of units.

1. I guess the only real option is Geoffrey. I don't particularly dislike Geoffrey, but I think he was a massive missed opportunity. His backstory is that Elincia grew up in the same villa as Geoffrey and Lucia. This was a great opportunity to give Elincia a brother-like character. The way the writers wanted to use him was as loyal knight with a not-so-secret crush on Elincia. Somehow, he ends up somewhere caught in the middle of those two things; sometimes the former, sometimes the latter. These two things do not go together, and this jarring mix was made even worse in Radiant Dawn. He and Elincia seemed too much like siblings for me to buy the idea that they get together, and this is coming from someone who defends Micaiah and Sothe

Radiant Dawn:

1. Edward. Once trained, he is an utter beast on the battlefield. As for character, I actually like his character overall; the problem is that there's so little of it. The few moments we get of actual depth for the Dawn Brigade are great moments, but they're so few that it can seem like Edward and them have little characterization. 
  2. Nolan. Similar reasons as Edward.

Shadow Dragon:

I'm fine overall with Shadow Dragon's plot being fairly bare-bones, so I'm going to be looking at the characters with that in mind:

1. Barst. He, Bord and Cord got zero characterization in this game outside of being part of the Talys Mercenaries. They could've at least had one brief conversation that illustrates their loyalty to Ogma, their reaction to going to war for presumably the first time, etc. So many characters get very little, but these three got nothing. I only list Barst because he's fantastic as a unit. The other two... less so.
  2. Wolf and Sedgar. Again; I'm fine with the very little that most characters got. But these two got nothing

Awakening:

Since pretty much everyone in this game can become a great unit with enough level-grinding, I tend not to use characters that I dislike as characters. So, this'll be a little tricky.

1. Nowi. I understand that Awakening was a sort-of Fire Emblem: Greatest Hits version, and so the developers probably felt that it needed a loli dragon to truly be one, but at least make it a good example of one. She doesn't really have much in terms of personality outside of, "I'm a 1,000-year-old dragon, but I look and act 10", and she desperately needed more to her character than that. 
  2. Chrom. Again; I get that they felt that they needed a blue-haired prince protagonist with a Falchion, but at least give him stuff that stands out. Making him a bit reckless doesn't count as it doesn't stand out; it just screams of trying to insert a little bit of Ike/Hector/Ephraim into an otherwise fairly bland Marth-expy. His exposition about his family history gives what is probably the closest he gets to unique characterization, and he doesn't even talking about how it affected him; only how it affected his older sister. 

Fates:

Oh; this game has so many characters that are good units with serious character-writing problems that I'm going to have to leave out characters I have issues with but find bearable and just focus on the really bad characters:

1. Corrin. As a unit; the character is fantastic. Swords; dragonstones (albeit nerfed ones), etc. Utterly fantastic. As a character: one of the worst characters in terms of writing quality that I have ever seen. Corrin is the definition of a Gary Stu; gratification of the character is given precedent over actually writing the character. 

Wow... The restriction that I put on myself turned this into a very short list. But I know that, if I remove that restriction, the list will become very long. 

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia:

1. Alm. I like that he's a really good unit. I like that he's left-handed. But, as a character, he doesn't have as severe a case as Corrin, but they share the same illness. 
  2. Faye. She's a good unit when made into a cleric. As for her character, I like her a-supports with Alm and Silque, and I strongly dislike everything else.

Shade in Echoes

The Cypher characters are all insufferable. But Shade has fairly easy access to a whole bunch of spells that you can't realistically get without tons of grinding. And she is an especially nice addition of Alm's route, since his army is really starved for a second cleric. With her around, maybe Faye may actually get some opportunity to pick a class other then Cleric. Speaking of which...

Faye

Having a potential second flier or a Cleric with Physic and Rescue on the team adds a whole bunch of options to Alm's route. As a character... yeah... A character who serves no purpose but to hump the main character's leg with no sign of depth or growth doesn't become any less insufferable just because they are not doing it to the player avatar.

Delthea in Echoes

Really fun unit. Especially in Echoes with it's increased experience gain. As a character though, she is really annoying. But more importantly, after Nowi and Nyx I find it hard to see a character like her and not get the feeling that she is supposed to serve as the obligatory pedo bait character.