Which units do you love as a character but wish were better units?

I wish Matthew were good. He's a very multi-dimensional character in his support conversations, and of course the "let's ramp up the stakes" moment when his girlfriend is killed shows a level of resolve only matched by our Lords in the main story. If you're lucky he can nab a few strength and defense ups, but he's always a mediocre fighter and level ups generally do nothing but increase his avoid rate. Of course, he's a thief, he's here to open things, not to fight, but then that leaves many chapters where he has nothing to do. Especially in Normal Mode, where most of what would be stealable in Hard Mode is given to the player outright when that enemy is killed. Legault is also flat out better at fighting, and neither of them can promote until the chapter where Jaffar formally joins your party with incredibly high base stats and level as a pre-promote.

Plus GBA era is unkind to the Thief/Assassin line. Thieves start with 6 move, which is nice, but don't gain any on promotion, taking away something huge they'd have over swordmasters. Being swordlocked is always a pain. Silence looks cool and even works on bosses, but I'd rather take the swordmaster's 15% innate crit. Another painful detail is assassins being unable to steal things (but can still use lockpicks). I think the only functional advantage to being a thief is that they gain more combat experience, and the act of stealing an item, while granting just a small sum of exp, won't take away any potential experience from other units.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE3:

Rickard. I like his design and overall personality, and I like thieves in general. Too bad he's pretty bad stat wise, so his only purpose is just opening chests. But Julian exists and is better compared to him in everything, and Marth can open chests once he gets the Fire Emblem. So there really is no point in using him.

Samto is another unit I like personality wise and for his whole gimmick of masquerading as Navarre . He's just rather underwhelming when compared to Ogma (who joins earlier) and Navarre (who's recruited literally the next chapter), both being better than him statwise. Starsphere shards can help him become more powerful due to the specific growth bonuses each provide, but there are always better units to choose from.

FE4:

Dew. Again,  I like thieves in general, and that includes Dew. Unfortunately he sucks in this game as long as he isn't promoted. Other than the movement issue, he does like 1 or 2 damage most of the time against enemies. His avoid rate is decent, but mostly against axe users due to weapon triangle advantage. He's pretty good after promotion though, and gains Pursuit. But you have to baby him to get him to level 20.

Patty is also kinda in the same situation but not as bad, and with the sleep sword and a good father she can be pretty good.

FE6:

I like Wendy, but for really no particular reason lol. It sucks she has really bad base stats, otherwise she can be a really good unit if you manage to invest in her. It just takes really long, and she's in a class that isn't considered particularly too good to begin with anyways.

FE7:

Renault. Interesting character with a cool design imo that can act as a backup bishop if you need one. He's not otherwise needed since his magic stat and growth iirc are not great. Not exactly bad, but still, would be better if he had higher mag.

Karel is another cool character and I like her relationship with Bartre. Her stats are underwhelming though, and comes way too late to improve much unless you deliberately invest in her.

FE8:

the skirmishes and tower make it easier to make any unit good, so I don't really find anyone too bad in this game. If we go by traditional FE standards  then I guess Amelia and Ewan since they come too late and, without the tower and skirmishes, are rather hard to train. Which makes me glad the grinding aspects of this game exists: I really like the two trainees and their designs, and I like Amelia's relationship with Franz.

Knoll is another unit I find interesting. As far as I can recall he wasn't exactly too bad, just underwhelming. He can make for a fine Summoner though.

Kliff. I'm a big fan of his new design, I think he's one of the coolest-looking characters in Echoes, so I was disappointed after beating the game to learn that I had gotten really lucky with his growths and that in practice he's not the amazing juggernaut armored mage I thought he was, and that in practice he's surpassed in every class he's good at.

No mention of Nyx? Because I consider her character somewhat interesting, but damn, her stats that aren't magic or speed suck. And those two alone ain't gonna keep her afloat when everything else is so bad. She needs better growths and stats everywhere else, because as is, she's easily a bottom 5 unit in Conquest, and I might go so far as to say bottom 3.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:31 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

she is only salvageable because florete borders on broken, magic damage or no.

Florete is hardly broken seeing as it does physical damage, and Mist has a strength cap of 25...

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 3:34 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Definitely agree that he needed staves in RD

Except Bastian does have staves in RD, and starts with a B rank in staves at base.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Also Tormod. Not that he's bad as far as stats and growths go

His strength growth is higher than his magic growth and you're saying that's "not bad"?

On 2019-03-30 at 7:14 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

Except Bastian does have staves in RD, and starts with a B rank in staves at base.

On 2019-02-09 at 7:36 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Whoops, I meant to say PoR there. In RD he's relatively okay in large part because he has a decent staff rank, yeah (plus joining on a map where he hits weakness on everything).

On 3/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, Shadow Mir said:

No mention of Nyx? Because I consider her character somewhat interesting, but damn, her stats that aren't magic or speed suck. And those two alone ain't gonna keep her afloat when everything else is so bad. She needs better growths and stats everywhere else, because as is, she's easily a bottom 5 unit in Conquest, and I might go so far as to say bottom 3.

Her main issue is a low Skill stat. It can be patched up with Secret Books, but it is still a baffling choice for a unit that is clearly intended to be a glass cannon. She doesn't need to be good at everything, but an offensive unit really does need to be able to hit things. 

It's still better than being good at nothing and mediocre at everything - like Odin.

21 hours ago, Etheus said:

Her main issue is a low Skill stat. It can be patched up with Secret Books, but it is still a baffling choice for a unit that is clearly intended to be a glass cannon. She doesn't need to be good at everything, but an offensive unit really does need to be able to hit things. 

It's still better than being good at nothing and mediocre at everything - like Odin.

See that's the big issue here - she's only good at one thing... yet at the same time she has crippling flaws that prevent her from being good at the one thing she's supposed to be good at, because some numbskulls over at IS thought it'd be funny to have her suck in damn near every stat. And this leads into my next point - the fact that I occasionally use gimmicky child setups involving making non-magical children into mages that still manage to be better than Nyx. Which is really quite sad - just how much must you suck for someone to consider an obvious gimmick setup over you??? Now I'm not saying she needs to have great stats everywhere - just that her only having good magic and speed doesn't help her at all.

Renault. 

I read a fanfiction called "wayward son" a while ago and his character really grew on me. It's to bad second seals did not exist back then. It'd be a pretty to cool way to hint to his past and maybe even put him into a more appropriate role. 

On 02/04/2019 at 11:13 AM, Etheus said:

Well Odin could be good or bad :/ he got lucky twice in Conquest. Also forged killing weapon his speciality but that's it.

3 minutes ago, link16hit said:

Well Odin could be good or bad :/ he got lucky twice in Conquest. Also forged killing weapon his speciality but that's it.

Bold: Which does a fat lot of good when fishing for critical hits is a subpar strategy in this game. I'd rather use something more powerful instead and get a guaranteed 2HKO.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I honestly wish Selena was a better unit in conquest. She was one of the best kids in awakening thanks to being daughter of Cordelia who is already an impressive enough unit on her own (then again any unit in that game can be good with enough grinding). But in fates eh she’s not all that useful unless you get lucky and creative.

Brom, a very humble and rather likable farmer guy. Very nice to pretty much everyone. But as a unit, in PoR he was just so heavily outclassed by Gatrie who rejoined not to far later. and in RD he was pretty much the middle of the road armor knight, again being outclassed by Gatrie and Tauroneo. Basically in both games he doesn't really bring anything special or unique to the table,  he's just kinda there. Not unusable by any means. But nowhere near as good as the other armor knights. Plus the class not really being known for being outstanding in the first place.

Not the worst unit in either game, but is outclassed pretty hard in PoR, and in RD, he was pretty much just average. Nothing special, but a decent all rounder.