Who has the "worst art"?

indigoasis

It's been a while since I made a thread talking about who has the "best art" in the game (you can read it here). I thought about making a second thread to sort of revive the topic. There are plenty of heroes that have been added into the game since that last thread, but not as many that I can justify making a new thread with the same topic, so I think that I would rather wait until later to make a proper sequel thread.

So for now, I'll go in the opposite direction and ask which hero has the "worst art." As with the last thread, this is more so personal preference than objective, and feel free to explain why you don't like a particular character's art.

As for myself, they turned Lachesis into a loli and I can never forgive that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebecca, she is my waifu but they had to draw her super badly, her eyes are just goddamn creepy! And her attack animations give her a bow without a string, also her voice is just not what I was expecting and totally terrible.

AS IF THAT WERE ENOUGH THEY ALSO HAD TO MAKE HER THE WORST ARCHER!

Yeah I'm not happy with Rebecca in FEH

Lloyd is the one whose art I really detest.  Lloyd is one of my favorite bosses in FE 7 and I love his original art in that game, but in Heroes he looks like a zombie.  Lloyd is supposed to have muscles and he looks very healthy.  In Heroes he looks like he is going to drop dead any minute and has no muscle tone.  Every time I go through my heroes I almost cry when I see him because his art is so bad I refuse to build him and use him.

Yeah, Lachesis would have been my answer. Which is especially tragic because the voice talent was spot on.

Shout outs to Eliwood, Rebecca, and Athena, who suffer from stage six anime eyes syndrome and oh my god somebody drive them to a hospital before it's too late.

I also generally make fun of any of the women who are missing noses. Most recently Hot Springs Hinoka. I get it, many artists find noses unattractive to draw but if you just don't include it then the face is just a shapeless blob where no placement of the eyes or mouth ever looks "right".

Gwendolyn by a country mile and a half.  Seriously.  What the actual f*** are those proportions?

Combat high heels are also a big minus.  If Sheena (who was my Fire Emblem waifu for a while) didn't have them, her art would be perfect.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

I used to think it was Ursula or Eliwood and while I still think they’re bad it’s not as bad as Elincia’s or Mist’s art.

Everything Kippu and Miwabe looks terrible actually but I think those two take the cake just because I’m fan of their original designs and these are two bastardized loli designs they’ve been given. It’s not just that though. The eyes are two big soulless watery globs that express next to no emotion (just look at Mist’s damaged art, despite being hurt her facial expression stays almost exactly the same) and the bodies look very gelatinous.

The only exception is Miwabe’s new Valentines Mist. That one is such an improvement from the last Mist and the rest of Miwabe’s art in general and I like it.

As an aside, I think Lloyd’s art is good art but Pikomaro’s art style is unfitting for him. Like it doesn’t make me think “this is Lloyd” He’d probably make a good Nergal though.

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I also generally make fun of any of the women who are missing noses. Most recently Hot Springs Hinoka. I get it, many artists find noses unattractive to draw but if you just don't include it then the face is just a shapeless blob where no placement of the eyes or mouth ever looks "right".

This. So much this. I hate it and it’s lazy. It’s not just girls though. A few guys have this issue too but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is M!Kana

It's pretty dang hard to top Lloyd.

Just to contribute something different to the topic, however, I have always hated standard Olivia. I don't think she has a great design to work with, but her hands are way off and the style doesn't suit her like it does Raven. Also, she looks like she's Oliver, not Olivia down south if you catch my drift.

I'm not gonna say who I think is the worse, but I'm gonna leave my two cents here.

Artists have bad days, artists sometimes do work that's heavily out of their comfort zone, and artists always improve over time. Yeah some of the art in this game aren't as great as others, but please don't let it be all that artist will be known for. Critiquing and having opinions is totally fine but I think it's fair to give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Lloyd for example is considered as one of the worst by many for multiple reasons, but Pikomaro has some outstanding work like Sumia and Charlotte. Lachesis is given flak for being too "moe-blob", along with a couple others by Miwabe Sakura, but they've honestly improved a lot of the course of FEH's lifespan, which can be seen on twitter and their GD Mist.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

It's pretty dang hard to top Lloyd.

Just to contribute something different to the topic, however, I have always hated standard Olivia. I don't think she has a great design to work with, but her hands are way off and the style doesn't suit her like it does Raven. Also, she looks like she's Oliver, not Olivia down south if you catch my drift.

I wonder what you think of the newer flying Olivia’s art.

Anyways, Lloyd’s is probably closest to worst. I just do not think it fits Lloyd.

An a slightly related note, I want another artist to draw Adult Tiki. It’s a reason why I might have to cut back on orb spending; a new Adult Tiki alt. Any suggestions as to who can do a good one?

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I wonder what you think of the newer flying Olivia’s art.

I was just looking at it actually (I went to the catalog of heroes to kind of remind myself of what pissed me off), and it's much much better. I still hate the crotch window but the actual art itself is pretty well done with all 4. I have an irrational hatred of dancers in general but I'll say it's good when it's good.

Kind of relating to the above post with artists and off days, it sort of makes you wonder what the contracts are like. This game does go out to a lot of players; at what point and IS receive a commissioned piece of artwork and go "Oh no, this is not gonna be good". Obviously the art mentioned has definitely not been at that level, because it's here for us to gripe about, but I wonder if they have been slipped some real awful turds already that we just haven't seen.

14 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Gwendolyn by a country mile and a half.  Seriously.  What the actual f*** are those proportions?

Combat high heels are also a big minus.  If Sheena (who was my Fire Emblem waifu for a while) didn't have them, her art would be perfect.

I second this.  I actually like Wendy in FE6.  I know she's not good, but I like taking weak units and building them up.  If it weren't for Wendy's Heroes art, I probably would have 5*'d her by now.  (Why did they change her name?  She's been Wendy for over a decade.)

24 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Seconding this. One look at her art, and I go... Well, Wario's face (and what he says as well) in this video says it for me:

13 minutes ago, Grandosco said:

For me it's Raigh, and I'm certainly biased against him and his weird 'don't touch me' hand.

Interesting to me; I respect this opinion, but I love EO and so I am biased towards the artist. I really like the style and hope he gets the opportunity to do more units.

45 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Everything Kippu and Miwabe looks terrible actually but

agreed but this is no longer the case because v!mist has incredible fucking art and we stan growth in 2019 thanks miwabe

mine is lucius, and i recognize this is a personal thing - i get unreasonably mad when the canon is 'dude is so pretty he is mistaken for a lady sometimes' and the art style just goes 'hey draw a woman fuck it then fudge it' like lucius is in feh. it's the lazy way out of what could be beautiful androgyny and i hate it. the lazy way is to just go heh, let's write femme coded styles into a male character and say voila! dude looks like a lady! instead of actually considering how to blend gender-coded things to create an attractive middle ground

fuck lucius

EDIT: or, not related to art but worse, the Libra Impact. 'hey, draw the daddiest of strong men who await you, but have him voiced by cindy robinson well out of range, haha, dissonance is the same as androgyny'

Edited by Integrity

33 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Interesting to me; I respect this opinion, but I love EO and so I am biased towards the artist. I really like the style and hope he gets the opportunity to do more units.

Agreed! I love the art of both Faes. I think my distaste for Raigh comes more from him appearing when I least want him to. Now that I really look at it, the art’s pretty good ^^

1 hour ago, KongDude said:

Lloyd for example is considered as one of the worst by many for multiple reasons, but Pikomaro has some outstanding work like Sumia and Charlotte. Lachesis is given flak for being too "moe-blob", along with a couple others by Miwabe Sakura, but they've honestly improved a lot of the course of FEH's lifespan, which can be seen on twitter and their GD Mist.

I think that is where the problem is.  The artist draws women very well, but when they were asked to draw a man who is fairly manly in his original art it did not work at all because that was completely out of the artist's area of what they do well.  

1 hour ago, KongDude said:

I'm not gonna say who I think is the worse, but I'm gonna leave my two cents here.

Artists have bad days, artists sometimes do work that's heavily out of their comfort zone, and artists always improve over time. Yeah some of the art in this game aren't as great as others, but please don't let it be all that artist will be known for. Critiquing and having opinions is totally fine but I think it's fair to give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Totally agree. Artists have it rough, especially with all the work that goes into drawing something. On a technical level, too, I'd say that it's possible every artist who's drawn for FEH is better than me (but it's hard to compare apples to oranges; I don't have much experience in digital art and it looks like most of the drawings here were at least touched up on a computer.)

To answer the topic, though (by use of something more akin to constructive criticism overlaying personal preference) the ones that come to mind are Hot Springs Ryoma and Naesala. The lighting, color, texturing, and shading and such are really good - don't get me wrong -  but their faces don't quite match the structure of the original designs. It can be really hard to draw a particular face accurately (rather than just fitting into the parameters of "this is a face with a believable structure") and many artists suffer from something called "same face" where they're used to drawing one style of face and find it difficult to draw any other kind, which goes to show how hard it must have been for them to try to get those faces right. It gets even harder when you're trying to draw a particular character in your own art style (which is why I'm not including the likes of Lachesis since she's drawn in an entirely different art style than her original art, and so, of course, some things will be different.) Naesala and Hot Springs Ryoma, though, are close enough in style to their original art to clearly see where their facial structure has changed. Ryoma, for example, looks maybe younger than he's supposed to be, since his face is rounder and less long than it is in his other portrayals (which is clearly seen if you have him next to some of his other alts) and really is the only one that deviates from his standard facial structure. But it's also important to remember that artists are people, and not every endeavor a person attempts will succeed. That doesn't mean I don't grimace a little when I look at these two (especially since the rest of (or at least a good deal of) the image's work is so spot on) but it does mean that the artist(s?) very likely tried their best, and that's worth more than the finished product in and of itself.