Have You Had A Near-Death Experience?

SullyMcGully

So I learned something interesting today: 1 in 25 Americans claims to have had a "near-death experience" or NDE. An NDE is when someone on the verge of death (flatlining, slipping into a coma) has an unexplainable vision of something like an afterlife. Things in common among many NDEs include people seeing themselves be operated on in the third person, people seeing deceased loved ones and relatives, a bright light, feelings of peace and aliveness, and even being offered a choice between staying in "the afterlife" or returning to reality. Even some hardened scientists believe these NDEs provide evidence for the hereafter. 

I'd heard stories, but up until now, I hadn't seen that statistic. NDEs are a lot more common than I thought. Do any of you feel like you or somebody you know had an NDE? Do you believe NDEs are real? Please share your opinions below! 

One time when I was 3(maybe 4) my mom took me to this mall with this giant fountain(well it was more like a small pool but it was a decoration only thing so you know) in the center of it. So my mom took me to see the fountain and being the curious three year old I was I wanted to play in it. The thing about that fountain is that there is a mote(or however you spell it) where all the excess water spilled into between the railing and the fountain. So here was this three year old trying to splash at the water and well yeah. Thankfully my mom was able to pull me out thanks to the help of some very kind stranger. I actually do somewhat remember the ordeal though not clearly cause you know I was like three. All I remember was water and a big bright light.

another time happened a couple years ago when my family went to drive to vegas to visit my grandparents. This is a long one but I’ll try to keep it brief. Anyway so we’re on our way to vegas and everything is going fine until sometime in the middle of the utah desert our air conditioning breaks(keep in mind this happened in mid-August) . Bummer but we can survive 10-hours in the scorching desert heat without air conditioning so we tough it out for a little bit. Then later on our way through the Rocky Mountains this huge semi truck just rams into us out of no where and for like a minute we’re just being smooshed between the truck and the railing. It all happened so fast and at that moment I was almost certain we were gonna die. Now obviously that didn’t happen but you know it’s still terrifying.

Edited by Ottservia

I'm not sure if I should share another person's story, but I don't think that my mom would mind. At least... I hope she doesn't mind. :D:

A few years ago, me and my mom worked at a summer camp, and we worked in the kitchen to get snacks ready for the day (it really wasn't a summer camp in the traditional sense, it was more like a day camp where parents left their kids for the day). I'm can't remember how it led up to it, but she ended up telling me a story about when she was younger (probably a young adult, so in her late teens), she had to get surgery to have a body part removed (I think it was one of her ovaries, or at least an organ that you don't really need). She told me that during the operation, she ended up seeing a really beautiful light and she really wanted to go to it. But before she could, she heard a voice reminding her about two of her siblings that were younger than her, asking her who was going to take care of them if she wasn't there. Even though my mom really wanted to go to that light, she decided not to.

As for myself, I accidentally fell into the toilet when I was younger because the toilet seat was all the way up, but that's about it.

Well, I almost drowned as a kid.  Didn't get any visions or anything, at least nothing powerful enough to have stuck with me.  Then again, I feel I'm skeptical enough that I wouldn't believe visions from an NDE would indicate evidence of the hereafter or that I'm special in any way, so maybe I did have a vision but I just didn't care for it.  But I'd still say I nearly died, even if everyone that was there tries to assure me that my traumatic experience wasn't that bad.  I get the occasional existential crisis of pondering whether all of this is real or just a prolonged vision of how my life could've turned out if I hadn't drowned.

I don't know, my near death experience had a very strange effect on me.  I'm not afraid of water - in fact, I've learned how to properly swim, and enjoy going to a nearby lake on a boat to fish and swim in it - but I feel it's led to me overthinking my own existence (and the eventual cessation of it) to wild extents.  Maybe it also attributed to my existentialist view of the world, and how I don't feel dread when people talk of endtimes that are beyond the control of normal, everyday citizens unless it's something slow like climate change.

9 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Then later on our way through the Rocky Mountains this huge semi truck just rams into us out of no where

Yeah, that sounds about right.

People in the Rockies drive like assholes.  I know because I live in the Rockies.  My state is the proud owner of the highest per-capita automobile death rates in the country, and much of it is, of course, caused by alcohol.  And as for commercial truck drivers, they can't operate under the influence of substances, but they drive long nights and get sleep deprived, and driving in that state may as well be the same as driving drunk.  It's especially bad in the Rockies because you don't often get to see what's around the corner in a series of switchbacks due to all the valleys you need to drive through obscuring your vision.

I and other members of my team were on recon in a zodiac when we were attacked in a particularly swampy environment, and we were forced to use the zodiac to use as cover. I, unfortunately, slipped with 85 lbs of gear on my back. There really isn't a lot of swimming with that much weight on you. I was gurgling water and lost consciousness. 

All I can tell you from that incident is that all I saw was darkness and it wasn't exactly what I would call comforting and fuzzy. You should really not think about such unpleasant things while you live. Enjoy your family, live life to the fullest and face the fact that we all die eventually.  And when the time does come, you won't be afraid. I've also had other NDEs and it has been darkness every time. Maybe, there is something beyond but I have yet to see it. 

4 minutes ago, grinus said:

I and other members of my team were on recon in a zodiac when we were attacked in a particularly swampy environment, and we were forced to use the zodiac to use as cover. I, unfortunately, slipped with 85 lbs of gear on my back. There really isn't a lot of swimming with that much weight on you. I was gurgling water and lost consciousness.

Sorry to ask about such an awful memory, but what's a zodiac and what would attack you in one? I'm guessing it's wildlife or military related?

8 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, I almost drowned as a kid.

This happened to me once. I got a cramp while swimming as a kid. I was fortunate enough to reach the edge of the pool. I’ve never swum in the deep end of a pool ever since 

I'm not American, but perhaps I may have had an NDE already. Quite a few times, maybe. Not sure if it counts, but during times of severe emotional distress I tend to have to fight the overwhelming urge to just let go and die. Especially when I'm in school when it happens, because as much as I wanted to jump, I'm barred by some sort of behavioral contract the school had me sign during my first year when I attempted to jump. I've contemplated dying too much for 2019, and the year is far from over. One afternoon in January I was so emotionally distressed that I just laid on my bed and waited until something happened to me; I even put myself under the covers. Then some things happened and I failed to sleep until 3 AM. My mom had to stay with me. I slept until 5. Then when I woke up I was too sick to go to school, and that's when I started feeling chronic chest pains. Still feel them even as recent as Thursday? Friday? I forgot.

However, that's all in the past. I'm trying to improve myself and make sure everything stays fine. I hope I can sustain things, or else I just might let go one day. I doubt I would, though.

As a late teen I had a really horrid diabetes doctor who did not care about controlling my diabetes at all and my parents did not try to help me much either.  So I was on my own trying to figure out how much insulin I needed to stay alive but not die.  I have had several times I have gone so low I almost died and one of those times I saw angels and let everything go, but I had to come back to "life".  Lucky for me after that I finally ended up getting through to my mom that I needed a different doctor that actually gave a damn about type one diabetics living a decent life and he put me on the insulin pump and I can now live a "normal" life.

25 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

I'm not American, but perhaps I may have had an NDE already. Quite a few times, maybe. Not sure if it counts, but during times of severe emotional distress I tend to have to fight the overwhelming urge to just let go and die. Especially when I'm in school when it happens, because as much as I wanted to jump, I'm barred by some sort of behavioral contract the school had me sign during my first year when I attempted to jump. I've contemplated dying too much for 2019, and the year is far from over. One afternoon in January I was so emotionally distressed that I just laid on my bed and waited until something happened to me; I even put myself under the covers. Then some things happened and I failed to sleep until 3 AM. My mom had to stay with me. I slept until 5. Then when I woke up I was too sick to go to school, and that's when I started feeling chronic chest pains. Still feel them even as recent as Thursday? Friday? I forgot.

However, that's all in the past. I'm trying to improve myself and make sure everything stays fine. I hope I can sustain things, or else I just might let go one day. I doubt I would, though.

Sometimes, when the body experiences a traumatic or extremely distressing event, it tries to go into a state called "emotional death". If one succumbs to this, they're not literally dead, but unless they recover, they may as well be dead.

Short: Once I've almost fell down in an elevator shaft.

Long: So, once when there was a one-day school break, me and some of my friends decided to go out in the city, do some parkour/free-running stuff. Now, in that city, well, there wasn't anything like you would see in a parkour video. No old factory buildings, no big parks, seriously, our best bet was the castle, where we could climb up to the bridge and the wall. It proved to be alright, but then the security guy came out and chased us away, threatened to call the police. So we just wandered around the city, and came to my mind, that there was this building that was supposed to become a hotel, but the money run short (the ones responsible for the hotel just put the money away, which is not uncommon here...), and it was basically only a 5-floor tall concrete stuff, without windows, doors, etc. Now, we managed to climb inside the fence, and went inside the building, where there were stairs. We climbed up to the top floor, drank some energy-drinks (my first and last time drinking that sugary-sweet-saliva... I get some headaches from too sweet stuff...), and just chilled there. Then I had to pee. And so I thought (reminder, this was in high-school, I was young, and stupid, and careless, and I could go on... but then again, the building is still untouched, and at least 5 years have passed since... whatever...) I will just go around the corner, and do what had to be done next to a wall. And when I was about to turn around at the corner, I realized it's actually a freaking elevator-shaft, and I've almost stepped into it. Like, my foot was only centimetres away from it. Man, that was some serious adrenaline rush. It's still hard to imagine how time slows down in cases like these. Like, I was already thinking about how I will try and grab the floor while falling, or kick myself away from the opposite wall, to land somewhere rather safe. (actually, that seemed real cool after that) But yeah, I managed to grab the wall next to me, and step back just in time. After that we went into the basement instead, as we figured such things couldn't happen down there, with nowhere deeper to fall. So yeah, that's the closest I got to death I guess.

I'm not sure if this counts, since I was never at any serious risk of dying, but I once fell out of a 2-story window straight onto rocks (and people have died from similar or even less risky scenarios). Fortunately, the worst injuries I suffered were mainly bad scrapes (one on my knee that was so bad the blood dripped down my leg and had me believing that my toe was cut for a second) and a small fear of heights.

Was driving on the highway once; car driving the wrong way into oncoming traffic came at me full speed. Whole thing happened so fast I barely had time to swerve off the road. Split-second difference and that would have been a head-on collision between two cars each going 60+ mph; I'd have been super, super, super dead.

0/10    No Visions 

Edited by Shoblongoo

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Was driving on the highway once; car driving the wrong way into oncoming traffic came at me full speed. Whole thing happened so fast I barely had time to swerve off the road. Split-second difference and that would have been a head-on collision between two cars each going 60+ mph; I'd have been super, super, super dead.

0/10    No Visions 

So you mean to tell me you didn't let JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL?

9 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

So you mean to tell me you didn't let JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL?

He refused. It went something like:
Image result for jesus take the wheel

FYI:   The "visions" people get from near death experiences is just the brain tripping out from lack of oxygen.

Same reason why you get high from huffing paint thinner. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Yeah like on a flood the car started to fill with water and if there weren't soldiers outside we wouldnt't have survived (Especially since my aunt was like "OMYGOSH NONONONONONO WE GONNA DIE LETS CLOSE THE WINDOWS YOU KNOW OUR ONLY WAY OF ESCAPE!!!" and so yah ugh) if we hadn't called some soldeirs to open the door form behind. It was nothing to special really but the memory has stuck with me since.