Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

I can't wait for @VincentASM to tear into the trailer.

But I have a few initial thoughts on what I can already gleam.

Firstly, of course we're playing as the "teacher", and of course that teacher is an avatar of sorts.  At least so far as far as being able to choose gender?  What'll really be important is how they're handled as a character.  Since they're a mentor, I would imagine them being more like Robin than any of the other avatars, so maybe Byleth will be one of the better avatars.  Here's hoping.

Secondly, so it's a school setting?  Well, some folks' comparisons to Harry Potter are the ones I'm gonna be clinging to, because that sounds better than my initial thought of "anime high school".  I hope it's more like HP and less like, say, VC2.

Thirdly, I'm absolutely a fan of there being unarmed combat.

Fourthly, I personally feel like the outrage some people have over female Byleth's design is a bit much.  I mean, it's not my favorite design in the series, especially for a character that's supposed to be a tutor for a warfare academy, but there have definitely been more bombastically sexualized characters in the series.

16 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Is there any precedent for "anime schools" in what is essentially a wargame?

I'm just here, internally screaming about Valkyria Chronicles 2.  That series is essentially an anime version of WW2, though VC2's central focus was in an academy, following the brother of some legendary alumni of the academy as he turns a squad of losers into winners.

Not the best plot in that game.  The protagonist was annoying, his two friends were essentially just tropes, and most of it outside of the actual war bits is just high school hijinks.  I'm hoping it's less like that game.

2 minutes ago, flare9 said:

i guess no children this time?

If there is, then get ready for Teenage Pregnancy: the Video Game.

From my limited experience with anime and Japanese media in general, they don't typically go for that angle in school settings.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Slumber said:

"Rather new" as in it really started with FE11, with limits really getting removed in Awakening, a game I don't like. And this game looks like more micromanaging.

Not quite. Reclass was in FE11, and more reclassing. This is controlling both promotion and weapons you use. Also...

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

But that's not what I enjoyed about Fire Emblem, ever.

Okay, and? Thing about FE games is that though they follow a certain formula, they all are meant to bring something new to the table. Something to make the experience unique for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Flygunn said:

Not even for combat, the male teacher gets a regal appearance, she gets booty shorts and cut-outs, as a teacher

Yup, it really looks wrong.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

But that's not what I enjoyed about Fire Emblem, ever.

Fair enough.

Maybe we don't need to do that and have an option not to do it?

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's rather new, though. This allows plenty of flexibility for players. And it isn't like this is new for RPGs. 

BTW, anyone notice the little thing where it seemed like Byleth got hit on the back with an axe, and then there was a rewind where Byleth beat the guy?

I think Turnwheel might come back.

Yes, I noticed that as well. It looked like Byleth was first going to be killed but then saw the future...maybe thanks to the dragon?

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'm just here, internally screaming about Valkyria Chronicles 2.  That series is essentially an anime version of WW2, though VC2's central focus was in an academy, following the brother of some legendary alumni of the academy as he turns a squad of losers into winners.

Not the best plot in that game.  The protagonist was annoying, his two friends were essentially just tropes, and most of it outside of the actual war bits is just high school hijinks.  I'm hoping it's less like that game.

Thanks for the answer. I had no idea; I've only played Valkyria Chronicles 4. Yeah; based on your description, hopefully Three Houses will be a lot better than that.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Don't fall for it! He'll carry a letter from Bayleth's mother to explain its not her actual father and that its okay if they hook up. 

I mean; the dad's name is Geralt after all. It would even make sense: Witchers are all sterile. 

10 minutes ago, Flygunn said:

One thing to note about the less fanservicey designs, for F!Bylethe, it looks like they de-sexualized her, but kept a lot of the elements they would attribute to sexualized characters such as the disproportionate bust that appears to be in a push-up and the oddly placed cut-outs.  I hope we get multiple body-types

She assimilated Camilla. 

As for other things...

I’m not feeling it. Perhaps it’s the school setting that reminds me more of Persona than FE. There are more comparisons to Valkyria Chronicles 2 from what I’ve seen. It looks like Byleth will have something similar to Mila’s Turnwheel. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

3 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Yes, I noticed that as well. It looked like Byleth was first going to be killed but then saw the future...maybe thanks to the dragon?

I really hope this is done to explain this game's version of "Mila's Turnwheel." Otherwise this will just feel like some sort of convenient plot device to throw out whenever Byleth's in trouble.

Can I tell my students to put on some freaking armor when we go to battle? We're not attending a fashion show.

I am intrigued at the character customization in that trailer. "Will you take the Brigand exam?" That's goofy as heck and I want to see how far you can go redefining what certain classes are. Overall, that seemed to me like a very strong yet very safe trailer. Nothing that has me jumping for joy, but also nothing that has me especially concerned. But again what are these kids WEARING. You can wear the uniforms on school grounds, not to battle.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

You can wear the uniforms on school grounds, not to battle.

Welcome to Battle Academy. This is a standard trope.

image.png.5ef532f574e8781ab674db7e76d69ac9.png

So there's odds for class changes, and I'm also guessing there's going to be multiple seals. I assume a beginner and advanced one.

Without re-watching the FE3H Trailer I must say :

- I do not really like the style of a School teaching the ropes of battle and such. -> Customization is nice and all but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of Options you have. And playing as a "teacher/instructor" is not really my type. I am just not the type of Players that can handle every single micromanagement good (I already struggled on FE Fates with the weapons , classes and skills + forging weapons). -> From Managing Lessons to giving "Tasks" for your students to learn.......thats....right now.....hard to swallow for me. And since you could technically choose every Weapon for every unit to master (including classes and their skills ?)..... that makes things a bit more complicated.

- I like the Art style although it seems a bit wierd sometimes in the Trailer.

- So they took a note from Harry Potter regarding this game. Well.....wierd.

- Story wise not much was dropped. They mainly told us what we do in School and how we got there. And it seems like each house you could pick tells a different Story (at least a bit). -> Is the type of house ordered like the difficulty Settings ? Like.... Black Eagle = Hard ; Blue Lions = Normal and Yellow Deers = Easy ?

- Release date is 26th July huh ? Uhm.... July Counts as "summer" , right ? If so....we have a "micro-delay" here.... I guess. Whatever. More time to refine the game.

- So....an Avatar is confirmed. It is just like Mark + Robin combined. Looks interesting.

-> I just want to Play a type of General that leads an army. I dont want to Play teacher all the time. I would rather have something a bit more simplistic. At the same time I like how they try something new (and be ambitious). I guess I have to dig into this game a bit harder than usual. Maybe a newbie like me can get a hang of this.... I hope. 

>First thing I see is that #%&^ loli manakete taking the role of Navi from Ocarina of Time
Hoo boy, not a good start...

>Narrator sounds bored as hell describing the regions
Still calling them Red Place, Blue Place and Yellow Place.

>Just spells out the prologue for you
Jeez, cribbed right off of the Tellius games. A member of your father's mercenary band, seriously?

>Harry Potter, Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Academy and Final Fantasy 8's depraved bastard child
Man...teacher/student relationships are a bad idea, so either that's not in there (which is going to royally piss off the waifu community...actually I like that part, hope it goes this way), or things are going to get really creepy. Also wondering if they'll set chapter requirements on the supports so that they can actually be relevant (or is it going to seriously consist of your units telling each other how great the food is at the cafeteria...).

>Actual teasers start less than 20 seconds before the video ends
OK, so...are the three sides at war or not? There's just no tension here---whoa whoa WHOA, who's the Validar knock-off? The Plague Doctor chucking fireballs? The guy with the laser sword and the nasty shit leaking out of what is probably the game's Fire Emblem, or Billy pulling the Robin routine twice in a row---...never mind, it's over. So we spent about five minutes going over the stupid, yawn-inducing school premise, and then all of a sudden just dump all the interesting stuff right at the end? Why do they even have Billy leaving his dad's mercenary band? Just go full PoR with this shit. (Also get rid of the manakete, but that's a given).

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Don't fall for it! He'll carry a letter from Bayleth's mother to explain its not her actual father and that its okay if they hook up. 

Oh gods, no! Don't jinx it!

How are we feeling about July 26th as a release date? I'm fine with it, as it gives me ample time to save up for the special edition, and gives IS more time to polish it.

I also wouldn't worry too much about lighting or whatever, patches are a thing.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Not quite. Reclass was in FE11, and more reclassing. This is controlling both promotion and weapons you use. Also...

That's more micromanaging than had ever been in the franchise, and Awakening is way more than just reclassing. It's reclassing to get skills and stats so that you can transfer them to other classes, and then those skills all revolve around different things, like potentially reducing weapon wear, so now, among other things, you're forging weapons for specific characters, and some of those weapons are rare/hard to get but absolutely obtainable and busted(Aversa's Night)... Fates is more of that, but with many of those skills nerfed and your ability to reclass being much more limited, but it's still present, and then the game adds the worst of dogshit micromanaging by grinding resources in MyCastle and all of the micromanaging that comes with that whole feature.

And you can certainly not do these things, but the game doesn't give you any other alternatives. You either micromanage to hell and back, or you just miss out on these pretty core features to the game that the game keeps encouraging you to do.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Okay, and? Thing about FE games is that though they follow a certain formula, they all are meant to bring something new to the table. Something to make the experience unique for everyone. 

I never objectively said if this is a good or a bad thing.

But these are not things I think are handled well by the franchise, and hamper my enjoyment of the games. Considering the games largely went without them for 10 entries in a row(Gaiden was about as close as it ever got), and then suddenly started going crazy with them for the last 3 new entries in the game, it's not encouraging to me as somebody who would say I'm a fan of the franchise. Which is why I'm here talking about it.

Edited by Slumber

Liked the design. (M)Byleth, Edelgard and the black eagles is clearly the path they want you to play. 

When Sothis was shown, I thought she was Tiki. Lol

The 3 kingdoms plus the school are shown on the map plus 3 areas around maybe DLC?

Hope they start releasing more vids that so more gameplay and mechanics. 

Right, this thread exists for proper Three Houses discussion. I'll copy & paste what I said in the Direct thread, and then read through this topic.

4 minutes ago, Sire said:

For more of my impressions on Fire Emblem: Three Houses, after re-watching the trailer...

- The low FPS Cutscenes are back... Man, why couldn't they have the quality of Awakening cutscenes if they wanted to go this route?
- Dragon Girl Lissa?
- I appreciate the world-building they seem to be going for. Hopefully there is more than what they say in the trailer.
- Traditionalist Empire, Holy Kingdom, and the Independents (Leicester Alliance)

- Avatar Time! I prefer the male's traditional design, the female's "torn leggings?" are not really my thing.
- Hey, the Witcher is our dad! Wait, wrong Geralt. Our dad is Jeralt, with a J.
- So, something happens and Avatar receives special powers. Oh boy, this may be worrisome...
- Avatar Teacher Dreams of Dragon Loli. why

- I have a feeling we'll choose a house side and the Church (which was probably neutral) may end up being the bad guys. Alternatively, someone in the three houses may attempt to resurrect a dark dragon god or something, so the Church comes in to save the day.
- Legs. Sorry, I had to.
- What side we choose likely determines main lord and character access. While I'm a fan of paladins and knights, Dimitri looks lame. I'll likely for go Edelgard my first playthrough. Claude may be the most fun though, and for some reason I'm getting Hector vibes.

- Once again, loving the battle map. It reminds me of Radiant Dawn and I loved Radiant Dawn.
- I suddenly have a feeling most character outfits will be a variation on school uniforms...
- Yeah, Three Houses definitely looks more opened-ended compared to other FE titles. So many things to study train!
- Everyone was kung-fu fighting... (We got Claws as weapons, folks!)
- Still not sure how troops are supposed to work, unless they are purely visual (but then what about formations?)

- So, does the Avatar have future vision, or something akin to Mila's Turnwheel from Valentia? I'll love the see the Turnwheel function return.
- Why would the three factions fight each other? Are they even fighting each other in the first place? The three main lords seem to know each other, at least.
- Yeah, we got some dark forces stuff going on. Wonder how that will play out in the grand scheme of things.

All right, some hope and hype has been restored. Still, I really wanted to see more. At least we now know the release date, July 26th.

It feels a lot more jrpg esc to me rather than srpg, which I don't mind. It's basically SoV's villagers times 10.

The artstyle has grown on me and I don't mind the school setting tbh (reminds me of Harry Potter like others have mentioned). I really hope there is no kids, please...

As for the pushed back release date, I don't mind. It's after my exams so I'm happy. I'll probably go Claude if we have to pick routes.

I just noticed something: remember that whip-sword that the old guy in the first trailer was using in battle; the one that the green-haired lady was also holding as if mourning someone? At the end of the trailer, Byleth: the Avatar is clearly holding that very sword! (At about 5:07 on the trailer) And it looks like it's one blade, rather than a whip-sword, when he's using it!

Also, I think the classes idea is a cool way to encourage replayability without it feeling forced or arbitrary (seriously; why can't we save Pelleas and Lehran on the 1st playthrough?)

Edited by vanguard333

15 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I can't wait for @VincentASM to tear into the trailer.

But I have a few initial thoughts on what I can already gleam.

Firstly, of course we're playing as the "teacher", and of course that teacher is an avatar of sorts.  At least so far as far as being able to choose gender?  What'll really be important is how they're handled as a character.  Since they're a mentor, I would imagine them being more like Robin than any of the other avatars, so maybe Byleth will be one of the better avatars.  Here's hoping.

Secondly, so it's a school setting?  Well, some folks' comparisons to Harry Potter are the ones I'm gonna be clinging to, because that sounds better than my initial thought of "anime high school".  I hope it's more like HP and less like, say, VC2.

Thirdly, I'm absolutely a fan of there being unarmed combat.

Fourthly, I personally feel like the outrage some people have over female Byleth's design is a bit much.  I mean, it's not my favorite design in the series, especially for a character that's supposed to be a tutor for a warfare academy, but there have definitely been more bombastically sexualized characters in the series.

If there is, then get ready for Teenage Pregnancy: the Video Game.

From my limited experience with anime and Japanese media in general, they don't typically go for that angle in school settings.

I second that. While an open belly is appropriate for a school setting, at least her breasts aren’t showing like Camilla.