Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

Welcome to Battle Academy. This is a standard trope.

Oh really? I guess that explains some of the lukewarm response if this game sounds like something people have played before. Military academy sounded like a unique setup to me.

2 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

image.png.32354c3394e201eea64dcf4265d980ef.png

Judging by these two classes I'd guess that we'll have at least two types of magic.

I don't see a staff proficiency though. I'd assume it comes from priest, but there's no proficiency level to go with it.

Heal.PNG.bc70b57a58f19a2ccd662a8abd2965b6.PNG

Healing magic seems to be in a book this time around

Edited by Mackc2

Just now, vanguard333 said:

I understand, though I'm pretty sure those passive buffs applied as long as the Yato was in his inventory; it didn't matter if he had it equipped.

I agree about the darkness thing. That'll be interesting, especially when you also consider Byleth's black armour (why am I now suddenly tempted to name him Zelgius and give him blue hair in one of my playthroughs?) and outfit. 

It kind of reminds me of the trailers for Final Fantasy Versus 13 (the game that ultimately became the far worse game Final Fantasy 15) and seeing Noctis using all those clearly ghost-inspired abilities (phasing, teleporting, summoning his ancestors' weapons, not to mention the in-lore connection between his abilities and the goddess of death in the original version of the game). 

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it. I wonder if the fact that it's a whip-sword when the seeming bad guy uses it, but an ordinary sword when Byleth uses it, is plot-relevant in some way? I suspected that the sword might be part of a dragon spine or the end of a dragon tail because it's a whip-sword and because of the particular notches on one side of the blade. 

Yeah, you only had to have it in your inventory, but it was dead weight and made you only have 4 slots to work with instead of 5. It limited your options for not wanting to be in a sword using class.

I have no doubt the sword is probably going to be one of the game's major relics (if not the major relic), espeically with how devastating it was in the first trailer. Makes you wonder how a sword so powerful and potentially central to the church landed in the hands of Byleth.

3 minutes ago, Mackc2 said:

the other book is healing

Healing tomes. I think having a dedicated healing tome would be a series first. Maybe Nosferatsu could become light magic then.

1 minute ago, Mackc2 said:

Heal.PNG.bc70b57a58f19a2ccd662a8abd2965b6.PNG

Healing magic seems to be in a book this time around

Well I completely missed that.

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

1 minute ago, SageOfAnys said:

Yeah, you only had to have it in your inventory, but it was dead weight and made you only have 4 slots to work with instead of 5. It limited your options for not wanting to be in a sword using class.

I have no doubt the sword is probably going to be one of the game's major relics (if not the major relic), espeically with how devastating it was in the first trailer. Makes you wonder how a sword so powerful and potentially central to the church landed in the hands of Byleth.

Thats gonna be interesting to see!

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I mean, Nintendo owns the Xeno franchise, and are publishing SMT games...

Good point.

The impression i got from the trailer is the religion of the continent is "silk road" of the three kingdoms. Responsible for the current peace between the kingdoms *the good and holy people* i guess...

This might very well be a story of the three heirs to their respective kingdoms. Uncovering the deep and darker motives behind the religion. 

1 minute ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

Healing tomes. I think having a dedicated healing tome would be a series first. Maybe Nosferatsu could become light magic then.

Maybe it'll be like Gaiden, where there are some offensive light magic spells, but they're mostly for utility and healing.

1 minute ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

image.png.32354c3394e201eea64dcf4265d980ef.png

Judging by these two classes I'd guess that we'll have at least two types of magic.

I don't see a staff proficiency though. I'd assume it comes from priest, but there's no proficiency level to go with it.

Magic is called Reason and Faith. It seems that there are two different types of magic within Reason as there are two tomes in it's icon

13 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

There doesn't seem to be an obvious evil country in this game. 

In schools, the bad guys are usually bullies, shifty teachers, drug dealers, and the dean of the school unless it's a college.  Oh, and you can't forget about homework and student loans.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You mean setting up a continent in the same world as Archanea. If Fodlan is in the same world, that's 4 continents on the same planet.

Not too strange, our planet has seven continents, if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, JoeyW001 said:

I wonder if Nintendo or IS is brave enough to go a controversial route about Kingdoms abandoning and rebelling against religion in general.

IS, maybe.

Maybe Nintendo would be okay with that in Japan as well.

But localization would probably change that because America always throws a hissy fit if you even slightly suggest that religion could have faults in a piece of media that's directed at younger audiences; they'd say you're manipulating impressionable minds.

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You mean setting up a continent in the same world as Archanea. If Fodlan is in the same world, that's 4 continents on the same planet.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

From what I know the SNES games were all in one way or another set in the same world as Archanea. Awakening being set in the same world but thousands years later I just see as IS wanting to make their last game go out with a bang and include a lot of references and what better way to do that then to put it in the same word as the first game they made.

image.png.4a66e943a5d3daa212eb9a7e38e57c2c.png

Of things to note from this class list is that there's no flying units, yet there's no indication of a scroll bar. Flying units should be in, judging by the skill proficiency, so it might not be avaliable from the start, there's no scroll bar here, or not all units can become certain classes.

Another thing to note is that there's no clear hand-to-hand unit here, unless that role has been delegated to thief, which would be weird.

Pros:

• Decent world building

Cons:

• The artstyle doesn't look too appealing
  • The 7fps cutscenes
  • Female Byleth's desgin is a mess
  •  

Netural:

• appears to be lots of micromanaging
  • the idea of taking a bandit exam sounds silly
  • fantasy Harry Potter setting

Still feel lukewarm about the game.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Not too strange, our planet has seven continents, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but this would be unique because IS is finally involving in expanding the original world itself. The other continents were other worlds ultimately.

2 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

From what I know the SNES games were all in one way or another set in the same world as Archanea. Awakening being set in the same world but thousands years later I just see as IS wanting to make their last game go out with a bang and include a lot of references and what better way to do that then to put it in the same word as the first game they made.

If they do it. But it's highly unlikely. Feels like IS is fearful of making things be in the same universe and worried how they'll connect them all, hence why Outrealms and such is such an easy thing to use and abuse.

5 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

IS, maybe.

Maybe Nintendo would be okay with that in Japan as well.

But localization would probably change that because America always throws a hissy fit if you even slightly suggest that religion could have faults in a piece of media that's directed at younger audiences; they'd say you're manipulating impressionable minds.

They still do that?

The 3DS had a game where you could kill yvhv. I don't think it would be a huge issue anymore.

Edited by Hekselka

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Oh really? I guess that explains some of the lukewarm response if this game sounds like something people have played before. Military academy sounded like a unique setup to me.

the biggest example i could think of is valkyria chronicles 2

it was received kind of poorly as well there to my recollection as a major shift away from the first game

4 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

They still do that?

The 3DS had a game where you could kill yvhv. I don't think it would be a huge issue anymore.

SMT's not really aimed at children, being M rated and all.

Still, Fire Emblem's T, so they probably wouldn't get censored too much on that front. Radiant Dawn basically had you on the side of mini-Satan(Yune), and the angelic-themed Goddess of Order with the big church behind it was the bad guy.

4 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

Of things to note from this class list is that there's no flying units, yet there's no indication of a scroll bar. Flying units should be in, judging by the skill proficiency, so it might not be avaliable from the start, there's no scroll bar here, or not all units can become certain classes.

Another thing to note is that there's no clear hand-to-hand unit here, unless that role has been delegated to thief, which would be weird.

Actually there's something on the edge of that part of the menu below. Hard to make out, but it looks like the edge of another class. I also noticed there being something called flying focus in the focus section which I'll get into a bit

I noticed that you can manage "focuses". Seems that they're traits of either weapons or mobility. There are class focuses and then there are custom focuses. My guess is that if you pick a focus in custom that already exists in your class then that focus gets a boost. If you pick a new one then you gain that trait or at least your mooks as I noticed Edgelord had cavalry mooks

10 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

Enlarging that image the thief art looks to be wielding claws

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

I think the biggest twist this trailer has shown is that all those brigands we fought had actually gone to college and got a degree and license in becoming brigands.

Turns out, it's a serious Major.

"I majored in Brigandry. Unfortunately, I found my passion in my minor, Paranormal Psychology..."

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

I think the biggest twist this trailer has shown is that all those brigands we fought had actually gone to college and got a degree and license in becoming brigands.

Turns out, it's a serious Major.

I wonder what happens if a person is an unlicensed brigand?

Just now, Jingle Jangle said:

I wonder what happens if a person is an unlicensed brigand?

They get fined and are barred from being a Brigand, obviously.

1 minute ago, FabledKnight said:

Enlarging that image the thief art looks to be wielding claws

It looks like Claws might be replacing Knives as the "neutral" melee weapon.