Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

I have no doubts that there are going to be S supports. There won't be any marriage or children because in this setting of the story it wouldn't make sense but I'm expecting to have supports end with your partner admitting their love to you (or you the character) and then the ending slide saying you got married/stayed with your partner for the rest of your life.

Kids got less popular with Fates. In the release poll I think there was only one kid that even got in the top 10 so I think IS understands that just randomly throwing them in doesn't make for good writing. Shipping is still waaaaaay too popular for them to get rid of the S supports so I don't think they're going to get rid of that.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez ALWAYS gotta be relationship stuff for FE that get so much drama for nothing my lord.....I'm just gonna say yes its going to be there no reason why they suddenly won't(especially after all the Heroes eye candy stuff constantly coming its crystal clear they know this sell alot) would hurt the game for them imo when they already confirmed an avatar would be a waste to include something that made it hugely popular in the first place without it. Even as we know more we haven't scratched the surface at all haven't even seen supports yet signs in the trailer pretty much confirmed its there but they haven't delve into it. So don't already said its "not happening" when we have more info to come explaining things like this in further detail.

23 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

This is the same series that encourages you to marry your pseudo-siblings. The only taboo too heinous (apparently) is immediate blood relatives, and I think that's a matter of Japanese law preventing them from depicting that degree of incest. 

We're absolutely going to get to romance the students in this game.

Concerning Persona, my understanding of the way it's handled is that it's the student coming onto the teacher and the older partner is a woman, which (double standard it may be) probably makes it more okay with people. In this game, you're the teacher so it's probably an abuse of power to romance students.

True.

Now that I've thought about it, they can be kinda bold with that kind of stuff.

More than I originally thought.

Like, my first thought was, "Well people like Camilla and Leo aren't your real siblings" but then I remembered

that Corrin doesn't find this out until after he grew up with them.

And isn't Azura actually related to Corrin? (Only fully played Conquest so far)

That's what I've heard time and time again, and yet it still lets you make babies with her. 

And yeah, with Persona, you're a high school student and you can come onto your teacher.

I wonder how people will react to all this, if you really can romance your students.

:3

6 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

I have no doubts that there are going to be S supports. There won't be any marriage or children because in this setting of the story it wouldn't make sense but I'm expecting to have supports end with your partner admitting their love to you (or you the character) and then the ending slide saying you got married/stayed with your partner for the rest of your life.

Kids got less popular with Fates. In the release poll I think there was only one kid that even got in the top 10 so I think IS understands that just randomly throwing them in doesn't make for good writing. Shipping is still waaaaaay too popular for them to get rid of the S supports so I don't think they're going to get rid of that.

3 minutes ago, Guest Tobi said:

Geez ALWAYS gotta be relationship stuff for FE that get so much drama for nothing my lord.....I'm just gonna say yes its going to be there no reason why they suddenly won't(especially after all the Heroes eye candy stuff constantly coming its crystal clear they know this sell alot) would hurt the game for them imo when they already confirmed an avatar would be a waste to include something that made it hugely popular in the first place without it. Even as we know more we haven't scratched the surface at all haven't even seen supports yet signs in the trailer pretty much confirmed its there but they haven't delve into it. So don't already said its "not happening" when we have more info to come explaining things like this in further detail.

I agree with both of you guys we got over 5 months left of reveals for this game there's more to show!

4 hours ago, Book Bro said:

That's fine but why not have an avatar who is just a secondary character and not the star of the game? This approach just means they can neither be a completely fleshed out character nor a true blank slate for the player.

Robin is popular for sure but Corrin? For being the star of the Fates games they sure don't feel that popular, the royals (especially Camilla) seem to me to be more popular in general. And from the pre-release cycle for Three Houses, people everywhere seem to be more interested in the three lords (especially Edelgard) than Byleth.

Both M and F Corrin were top 5 in their gender when the official pop poll for fates happend back in the day in addition to performing respectably well in CYL. People in Japan really like them. As for 3Hs marketing, no one wants to selfinsert into a world that's lame and doesn't contain things they care about. Byleths roll as self insert protag is already apprent, so it makes sense to focus elsewhere.

First time posting and still pretty new to the series, so; hey guys. I think most of my thoughts about the game are things that have already been mentioned, but I suppose I'll add them.

My biggest takeaway is that it seems very different and... kind of weird. Not necessarily bad, but it strikes me as a game that's going to be one of the bigger changeups of the formula (with the caveat that I've still only played a handful of Fire Emblem games, so it's a little hard for me to judge) in the series' history. So far it's more stylistic changes to how the story will unfold and the role the player has, but I imagine that when they elaborate more on things like squads that there will be some significant mechanical additions too.

I'd say the direct has me kind of both more worried about the game in some ways and less worried in others than I was based on the pretty scant info we had before; more worried because the seeming heavy focus on Byleth is a bit of a red flag and I think I would've preferred them to take a bit more of a supporting role than they seem to be, plus I feel like there might be more potential for missteps with all the new ideas being tried out than there would be with a game that's more of a refinement of the basic formula the series has been following for some time. On the other hand, there's a lot that does look good and interesting. One thing I haven't seen mentioned as much is the free-roaming segments, which I'm really excited for; after playing Sacred Stones and Awakening, one thing that really stood out to me in Shadows of Valentia was how it was able to give much more of an impression of a lived-in world than those games with their more narrow battlefield focus. I hope we get more of that in Three Houses, especially since the setting seems neat.

Even when we basically just had portraits to go on, Claude stood out to me as the most interesting seeming of the main lords, and while we didn't really get much more of an idea of Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude's characters, Leicester does seem like the most interesting faction. Unfortunately the two units we saw who made the most impression on me (Bernadetta and Petra) both appear to be Adrestian, so I'm anticipating it's going to be a tough choice for me. Faerghus and Dimitri interest me the least so far, but they also seem to have been touched on the least out of the three so we'll see. I do wonder how significant the split is going to; will we still be able to recruit at least some of the students from the two other factions in a single playthrough or will it be a more complete split?

One thing that I've seen other people mention as well that seems like it could be really hit or miss is the raising sim angle. It seems like it could easily get way too micromanage-y, and while it certainly has potential I personally preferred the more fixed promotion paths in Sacred Stones and (for most units) SoV to the almost unrestricted reclassing in Awakening, which felt a bit overwhelming early on and which I largely didn't take advantage of in my playthrough, so if the majority of our units are academy students I'm not sure how I'll feel about that. Although there appears to only be about eight playable students in each house, which shouldn't be too overwhelming.

I agree that, for better or worse, Byleth will almost certainly be able to romance their students; assuming otherwise based on the lack of direct evidence for it when we still have fairly little information on the game in general seems somewhat like wishful thinking. I hope that at least they won't try to shoehorn children in unless they're doing a true twenty year or so timeskip a la Genealogy; which would certainly be interesting, especially assuming Byleth remains the protagonist; we'd get to see them both as a twentysomething rookie instructor and as an older, much more experienced (and potentially married) character. It would also be nice to see more gay options in the game compared to Awakening's none and Fates' very few. Hopefully that's something they add, especially if there's only one generation; I wouldn't be surprised if at least a small part of Intsys' reasoning, besides just cultural conservatism, for only having limited options in Fates was because "unlocking" the child units was a not insignificant part of marriage in both Awakening and Fates. Even if there is a second generation, it would be interesting to see them perhaps add something like Genealogy's substitute characters in the form of adoptive children of the first-gen couples.

4 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

I know this is random but I just realized why the FemMC's model has been bothering me so much. Her head is way too small for the size of her upper torso. Some of the other models seem to have the same problem where their heads are too small for their shoulder length, but it more apparent with her.

Random thought I just needed to get off my chest. Feel free to keep scrolling.

After looking at the art a bit more, I think Miss Byleth's problems are proportions in general.  For example, narrow her eyes a bit and make them a touch closer together, and it would be one improvement.

55 minutes ago, Snack said:

My biggest takeaway is that it seems very different and... kind of weird. Not necessarily bad, but it strikes me as a game that's going to be one of the bigger changeups of the formula (with the caveat that I've still only played a handful of Fire Emblem games, so it's a little hard for me to judge) in the series' history. So far it's more stylistic changes to how the story will unfold and the role the player has, but I imagine that when they elaborate more on things like squads that there will be some significant mechanical additions too.

Generally, series shifts tend to introduce huge changes.  Off the top of my head (I'm gonna miss a lot):

- FE4 introduced marriage, children, a castle arena, gigantic maps, weapons that became better after getting a certain number of kills.
- FE5 introduced fatigue, capturing, screwing yourself out of the final chapter (well, you had to work at it).
- FE6 introduced rescuing, support conversations, affinities, and unlockable bonus characters.
- Yes I'm missing FE8, but stuff like the world map was technically FE2, I think.
- FE9 introduced bonus EXP, fixed mode, laguz, forging, base conversations, and WHO THOUGHT RECRUITING STEFAN WAS A GOOD IDEA?!
- FE11 introduced various battle skipping sequences, reclassing, weapon merging, and probably the worst graphics for its system.
- FE13 introduced infinite nearly everything - including legendary weapons (via DLC, but still), pair-up, and, uh, paid DLC.
- FE14 brought bows and magic into a proper weapon triangle, introduced a customizable base, cooking, removable clothing, we don't talk about that one removed feature, and a varied RNG system.

Thus, Three Houses shaking things up isn't really unexpected. . .actually, I'd be worried if it didn't.

---

I'm not digging the school aesthetic, and there's no way this Happy School Life will last.  Not sure how I feel about Byleth's backstory, especially with a suspiciously-looking dragon girl talking to him/her.  Still, there's a lot of things that have yet to be revealed, so I'll reserve judgment until then.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Thus, Three Houses shaking things up isn't really unexpected. . .actually, I'd be worried if it didn't.

That's certainly true. The school setting just feels like a larger departure to me than I noticed, say, going from Sacred Stones to Awakening, possibly because it's a very up front stylistic/story structure change from the past games' usual focus on the lord of a specific country, sometimes in conjunction with their advisor/confident. Of course, we still don't know that much about the game's broader story so it may end up still hewing pretty closely to the usual Fire Emblem lines.

All that said, it is somewhat hard for me to say I suppose only having played through three of the games so far, so I may be off base here.

57 minutes ago, Snack said:

That's certainly true. The school setting just feels like a larger departure to me than I noticed, say, going from Sacred Stones to Awakening, possibly because it's a very up front stylistic/story structure change from the past games' usual focus on the lord of a specific country, sometimes in conjunction with their advisor/confident. Of course, we still don't know that much about the game's broader story so it may end up still hewing pretty closely to the usual Fire Emblem lines.

All that said, it is somewhat hard for me to say I suppose only having played through three of the games so far, so I may be off base here.

In some ways it is, but the player having some sort of "home base" where they manage stuff has been in some games, some them fleshing that out and extending the management aspect to the characters (as your students) kind of seems like a natural extension of that to me.

3 hours ago, Snack said:

One thing that I've seen other people mention as well that seems like it could be really hit or miss is the raising sim angle. It seems like it could easily get way too micromanage-y, and while it certainly has potential I personally preferred the more fixed promotion paths in Sacred Stones and (for most units) SoV to the almost unrestricted reclassing in Awakening, which felt a bit overwhelming early on and which I largely didn't take advantage of in my playthrough, so if the majority of our units are academy students I'm not sure how I'll feel about that. Although there appears to only be about eight playable students in each house, which shouldn't be too overwhelming.

To be fair, you don't have to take advantage of it in Awakening to clear the story if you don't want too, and you clearly didn't. But it does give the option for players who prefer the ability to be more hands-on. And based on @VincentASM (amazinggg!!) analysis it looks as if they're keeping the option open. With characters having "affinities" and  "disadvantages" to certain weapons/proficiency it seems as if you'll be able to just follow a characters "natural" growth pattern without really putting any though to it, like you could in Awakening.

But, if you wanted to make the characters a bit more custom/unique, you have the ability too. So I'm glad they're not following the more basic route of SS and SoV(kinda) where you're stuck to a class, because it feels unnecessarily confining when they have the option to make it very customizable and still have a basic option for other players! :)

Granted we don't know for sure, but just based on the affinity/banes for certain weapons and stuff it seems like most characters will have a "canon" class and route to go to!

-

And on that note, I also reallllly wanna do a playthrough and make all the characters focus on their disadvantages (if possible), because I bet that would up the difficulty/make a more challenging playthrough.

Edited by Kiran_

I'm sorry if this is already discussed but I wonder why Edelgard's house is called Black Eagles when the distinguishing colour is Red...

Also, anyone feels like there's at least a quarter to half of the playable characters that aren't revealed yet? Even if you get to use units from the other two houses that you didn't choose, there are only 25 playable units now including you. 

Edited by zuibangde

13 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I'm sorry if this is already discussed but I wonder why Edelgard's house is called Black Eagles when the distinguishing colour is Red...

Also, anyone feels like there's at least a quarter to half of the playable characters that aren't revealed yet? Even if you get to use units from the other two houses that you didn't choose, there are only 25 playable units now including you. 

Eh it's hard to say. Mid to high 30s would make a bit more what we're used to, but if this game has a loose reclass system like DS games having a large roster is partially pointless as the ability to class change replaces the need for a varied cast of units

33 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I'm predicting it'll end around mid 30s-early 40s total. I doubt the game will only consist of playable student/teacher characters we need some outside experience characters too hopefully(which will probably end up enrolling to the academy).

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

12 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

Eh it's hard to say. Mid to high 30s would make a bit more what we're used to, but if this game has a loose reclass system like DS games having a large roster is partially pointless as the ability to class change replaces the need for a varied cast of units

The thing is, I won't be surprised if we don't have access to the units in all three houses. Near the end of the trailer, you see the three lords commanding their army and the narrator says 'Three territories, three houses' which gives me an impression that they're not fighting on the same side of the war.

Also, I think the 'Noble' class is basically a fancier version of 'Villager' class with flexible customization. It would be weird if every single unit you get in the game can be customized so freely. 

2 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

The thing is, I won't be surprised if we don't have access to the units in all three houses. Near the end of the trailer, you see the three lords commanding their army and the narrator says 'Three territories, three houses' which gives me an impression that they're not fighting on the same side of the war.

Also, I think the 'Noble' class is basically a fancier version of 'Villager' class with flexible customization. It would be weird if every single unit you get in the game can be customized so freely. 

It could very easily be a RD situation where the circumstances of the plot cause playable characters to be in conflict with one another until the "true villain" is revealed. I suspect the choice of house largely just effects recruitment order by determining the side of the conflict we start on but we'll all get together at the end to fight some crazy dark mage or something

The FMV's are the worst in the franchise and will hurt the game now, up to launch, and in general with big story moments revealed via that. The actually trailer of the game and how it was done was also poor. The game and content in the trailer? It looks pretty good actually.

My first impressions. Of course that's all based on my personal tastes.

Positives: 

• World seems to be well-developed and there seems to be a lot of backstory here. I'm pretty optimistic about the story at this point.
  • Game seems to be incredibly replayable: character development is a lot more open and complex than usual, plus there's three factions to pick (it probably won't change the entire game ala Fates, but it's additional variation for sure).
  • Central hub is a lot better integrated than Fates and makes sense in-world. Also, it makes a ton of sense why the protagonist would be the "improvement plans".
  • Female Byleth exists, is an adult (oldest Fire Emblem protagonist besides possibly some Robin options?), and pretty much everyone is an adult (I never liked children soldiers).
  • It looks like there's going to be quite a bit of character interaction, so I think we can expect the return of something like base conversations.
  • Active skills to use. We saw Curved Shot, which increased bow range by 1. There's potential for interesting things here.

Negatives:

• School setting. I've never enjoyed a single game set in a school setting... The fact that the protagonist is a teacher instead of a student should help considerably, though.
  • Black outfits for everyone and lack of color in general. Every character looks extremely samey, with the same basic black design with some minor variations. There's very little color anywhere, and even the environment have this dull look. Even both of Edelgard's new outfits we've seen were dull red. It'll also make a ton of upcoming Fire Emblem Heroes characters, cipher cards and general character art all variations of black-with-some-white outfits, since it's their default and "canon" looks. Where's my colors? :(
  • Armor. I love armor, and normally I'd expect that to be a given in a medieval fantasy war game. There's very little armor here, and except for male Byleth, what's there is simply awful. Female Byleth armor makes very little sense and would be extremely inneffective and Dimitri's armor simply can't work (he shouldn't be able to even raise his arm). 
  • Cutscenes. Awakening and Fates had much nicer cutscenes in my opinion; the framerate in particular seems awful here.
  • Silent protagonist. Since I never self-insert in a game, silent protagonists in story-heavy games never worked for me. I'm fine with something ala Robin where she is her own person, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
  • Battle animations looks kind of eh in general. Look at Petra's crit in particular. The "arena" duel looked nice though, so we'll see.

Worries:

• Character uniqueness. Most characters seems to start in the equivalent of a villager, with no set class or development path. Some character do seem to have "preferences" (learning speed), but on the whole, if everyone is special, no one is. With everyone also looking so samey due to clothes, I'm concerned that they'll also be extremely samey from a gameplay perspective.
  • Grinding. There's a ton of elements here that points toward the game potentially being grindy, from teacher levels, training plans, sending students out for practical experience, etc. I hope the game isn't designed around the need to grind to progress through it, since it's both tedious and make balancing extremely difficult.

Just to address the samey outfits/lack of armor complaints real quick, keep in mind that most of what we saw likely was earlygame stuff, and characters seem to pretty clearly begin in trainee/villagers classes of sorts, which may or may not last very long. Also:

LavUiaH.jpg

... so basically I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by Cysx

9 hours ago, Corrin said:

Right, but all the other characters were in the cutscenes, and you could change their outfits and weapons, yet they would still appear in their default clothes I am pretty sure.

So they can easily do the same with the main character.

You might not be able to change their hair color, but things like outfits and accessories should definitely make it in somehow.

Oh yay; another FE game where I can't make my avatar a male redhead like myself. Why does Nintendo do this? In almost all their games I've played that had custom protagonists, red hair wasn't an option. 

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh yay; another FE game where I can't make my avatar a male redhead like myself. Why does Nintendo do this? In almost all their games I've played that had custom protagonists, red hair wasn't an option. 

Brother!

Yeah, I've noticed that a number of character creators (even the older Miis which you'd think would be more inclusive) lacked a orange/red hair option and it's just...why? You have blue hair as the stock protagonist trait but I can't make my avatar a redhead because that's too exotic?

The plus side of fixed avatar models is that they can actually show up in cutscenes. Fates' first person cutscenes were just awkward. Like... wow, I can see my hands and forearms...sure glad I was in this shot.

Imagine near the end-game where you and your students are facing an (potentially) apocalyptic crisis and you still force them to study and take exams... :rolleyes:

I guess the time-reverse ability may be something similar to Mila's Turnwheel, but the cutscene's still too vague to say.

The character models have definitely improved from the first trailer but still look awkward in some places, though I think they've done their best.

3 minutes ago, Ryo said:

I guess the time-reverse ability may be something similar to Mila's Turnwheel, but the cutscene's still too vague to say.

As Vincent pointed out in his analysis, it reminded me of Shulk from Xenoblade's visions. I'm pretty sure Byleth is going to have some sort of foresight and it may involve a turn rewinding mechanic.

I liked how it looked overall. The school setting is something i'm a sucker for and it looks like no two playthroughs need ever be the same, which I like. 

I will mostly avoid the fanbase though before this game releases, as I don't want my opinion to be influenced by a lot of negativity.

1 hour ago, Ryo said:

Imagine near the end-game where you and your students are facing an (potentially) apocalyptic crisis and you still force them to study and take exams... :rolleyes:

'The evil dragon god threatening to consume the continent doesn't dismiss you, I dismiss you.'