Cosplay Advice

Azure the Scale Tipper

So, I want to do some cosplay one day. This had been a thing at least since Momocon last year.

Now, I have some series that I feel I could do as of now (as in, I have experienced them to a good extent):

-Fire Emblem (obviously)

-Kingdom Hearts

-Fullmetal Alchemist (might start after watching Brotherhood)

-RWBY (though, I kind of lost interest)

-Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid

-Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Here are the characters I am considering:

-Link w/Champion’s Tunic and black hood (BotW) [Think of the horse-riding Link Amiibo without the horse. Might do this one first.]

-Fafnir (Dragon Maid) [Might need something to temporarily pale my skin, as well as some red contacts.]

-Zexion (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories) [Just thought he would fit my body type well.]

-Vanitas (Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep) [I’d feel comfortable with a mask. Might do him in the Organization XIII garb like in that one KHIII trailer.]

-Leo (FE: Fates) [May need brown contacts. This would be a later project.]

-Spider-Man Noir [Spiderverse design (complete with a Rubix Cube), not the one from Scattered Dimensions.]

-Naesala (FE Tellius Duology) [Might need an extra mold to make my nose look taller. Could be among my first.]

-Ike (FE: PoR) [Can do Ranger garb, Lord garb, Brave garb, and Greil’s Devoted Garb (maybe that last one during Kami-Con, which is closest to Valentine’s Day).]

-Male Robin (FE:Awakening) [Can do any outfit. Since Robin is an avatar character, I do not feel the need to get contacts and hair (okay, maybe I’ll need brown contacts).]

All of these are based on how well they can fit my build and complexion.

18 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

All of these are based on how well they can fit my build and complexion.

Well, for one thing, I'll say don't let build and complexion prevent you from cosplaying a character you might really want to cosplay as.  You want to do a gender-bender or someone who's usually skinnier than you, go ahead and do it.  If they're of a different skin tone, just a matching outfit should do, don't try to mimic other ethnicities by painting your skin unless they're fantasy races of abnormal colors (such as blue or green).  So in other words, don't paint your skin if you're cosplaying as Rinkah from FE Fates or a Gerudo from Zelda, but feel free to do it if you want to cosplay a Zora from Zelda or Hades from Hercules.

Aside from that, it wouldn't hurt to familiarize yourself with crafting.  From mashing together some pieces of cardboard and plastic to sewing together various fabrics, I know my sister and her friends frequently go to Joann's craft store to pick up the materials they need.  Also, don't buy expensive designer clothes, just buy cheap stuff from, like, a thrift store and cut them up however you need.

If that feels like too much work/effort, then think of it like a Halloween costume and don't worry too much.  It's important to have fun, especially for your first time.

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

So, who you do think I should do first?

I guess the one you said you might do first, Link.

Most complicated thing about a BotW Link cosplay might be the hair, tbh.  The clothing ensemble isn't tremendously difficult.  The hood will need some craft work.  Tunic could just be a large T-shirt with slits cut in the lower sides.  Not a lot of work outside of that stuff.

K then.

I am also doing the Master Sword (I can kind of get a replica in a lot of places), Hylian Shield (same as Master Sword), a bow, some arrows, and a boomerang. I suppose the latter three are craft work, @Ertrick36?

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

K then.

I am also doing the Master Sword (I can kind of get a replica in a lot of places), Hylian Shield (same as Master Sword), a bow, some arrows, and a boomerang. I suppose the latter three are craft work, @Ertrick36?

Yeah, they'd probably be made out of, like, paper if you're wanting things nice and easy.

Or else you could collect some plastics, feathers, and string for more "authenticity".  I'd avoid getting any more authentic, particularly with the arrows - they could end up being classified as actual weapons if their tips are made of stone or metal, and even if they don't it hurts less to be bopped in the head by a plastic point than by sharp stone or steel.  Better to be safe than sorry, I say.

Your choice if you want to use tape or hot glue to bring the stuff together.  Former for quick and dirty, latter if you want it to really stick (huehue).

In terms of the weapons bear in mind that each con has different rules in terms of what's allowed. Most bows aren't allowed to be stringed and most arrows cant be tipped. Also many places don't allow metal props period. Make sure to check con rules before building or taking your prop weapons :)

Uh, good luck?

How much you do will depend on how serious you want to be.  The Organization XIII guys probably have outfits to order. . .because I sure as hell wouldn't want to sew that!

I worked for Katsucon for a number of years and my advice to you is to go with a relatively easy one to do without spending too much time or money. I'm guessing you are just doing it for fun?  I've seen too many Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda or Full Metal Alchemist so avoid those.

Weapons are pretty much not going to happen so forget about any cosplay that is reliant on it. I remember a time when peace knots were enough on weapons but that was a different time. 

Your Spiderman Noir idea sounds cool, and Naesala sounds awesome, but the wings could be a problem.

8 hours ago, grinus said:

I worked for Katsucon for a number of years and my advice to you is to go with a relatively easy one to do without spending too much time or money. I'm guessing you are just doing it for fun?  I've seen too many Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda or Full Metal Alchemist so avoid those.

Weapons are pretty much not going to happen so forget about any cosplay that is reliant on it. I remember a time when peace knots were enough on weapons but that was a different time. 

Your Spiderman Noir idea sounds cool, and Naesala sounds awesome, but the wings could be a problem.

Weapons should be possible, just expensive.

I could do Ranulf. That should be a cool thing. Though, I have not played the Tellius Duology (I do not have a GameCube, my Wii is in storage somewhere I don’t know, and I am not sure my laptop could play emulators of GC games.)